Distinguished - BHPian

Re: N.E.W.S. Nepal & East to West in a Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Keep driving and give us many more happy hours reading
Thanks laluks, I'd be glad to give you more hours of reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokgunhal View Post
@hemanth.anand Excellent Travelogue of the NEWS! ...What Next will be answered soon with another Mega Drive.
Thanks alokgunhal

Nothing on the Anvil in 2014. Hopefully I can manage another one in 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Guys
This took some time to read and yes the time was worth it.

For anyone planning a north south corridor and staying in either south or north part of our Hindustan it is somewhat easy since it is naturally on the way. In your case you guys had to travel a fair bit to get to the east west corridor and then do a full run across the country.
Thanks Rajain,

Yes, the East to West is around 4000kms and our drive was close to 12000kms!!
Old 19th August 2014, 22:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Just out of curiosity, can I ask you what gave you that confidence?
A feel one gets.

A bit of talking to you and it was very obvious that you could undertake any Great Indian Roadtrip on your own. Yet you were not too full of yourself to ask for advice. And more importantly, you would follow up on that advice. (You would be surprised how often people ask for 'advice' whereas what they want is validation of preconceived ideas. And anything which does not fit in with that is disregarded.)

And your driving times mirrored my own.

All told - mature. Not some cowboys on a jaunt!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 05:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Wow! one more epic travelogue after the 2012 one huh!! Astonishing pics and very well narrated. And yes thanks to the assembly line, i finished the entire TL in one sitting. Hats off to you for finishing the log even with the new born at home.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 10:04   #64
BHPian

Fantabulous travelogue!!!!!! It took me almost 2 hours to read the entire thing. Wish I was also a part of your trip.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 13:32   #65
BHPian

AMAZING travelogue. Your narration, attention to detail just outstanding. You managed to go to one of the remote places in india and driving from there to the other end of india jus mind blowing. Waiting to read about your next adventure.

CHEERS
alfaromeo1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 20:30   #66
BHPian

Hats off to you three musketeers The planning, the execution and the follow-up (your post) are all first-rate. To do even one of the two - East-West or North-South would be an achievement for any of us and you have done both.

For your next, may I suggest a trip involving our neighboring countries? I think that should be the next target.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 21:14   #67
D4D
BHPian

Re: N.e.w.s

Wonderful TL!
Spent a lot of time reading it and enjoyed every bit.

One question, did you book the hotel in advance everywhere?

Wish I could rate it more than 5 stars.

In how many places did you feel Safari's GC was an advantage? Can anyone do the same trip on a sedan without scraping the underbelly?

Quote:
Omni taxis behind me honking at me every time I stopped for a reverse. Being the matchboxes they were; they could easily turn.
This description was amazing.
"Matchboxes" in particular was a perfect description.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 23:18   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Wow! one more epic travelogue after the 2012 one huh!! Astonishing pics and very well narrated. And yes thanks to the assembly line, i finished the entire TL in one sitting. Hats off to you for finishing the log even with the new born at home.
Thanks abhinav.s,
Its an addiction I guess, Any trip having under 1000Kms drive seems like a small drive for me now

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
For your next, may I suggest a trip involving our neighboring countries? I think that should be the next target.
Thank you so much catchjyoti,
This is one wonderful suggestion. Something like the Mahindra Tri-nation escape
The "What Next???" list is slowly building up. It now has got 5 items and 2014 will not have any big trips. So that list will last till 2019 (assuming one trip per year) : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Wonderful TL!
One question, did you book the hotel in advance everywhere?
Thanks D4D,
  • We had only done advance bookings (via makemytrip) for the Hotels is Raipur, Agra and Kolkata.
  • Raichur and Tezpur Hotels were only reserved over phone but we had to cancel them
  • Tezu and Walong IB accomodations were confirmed enroute over phone and in person respectively. We had taken tents in case we were unsuccessful in getting accommodation there
  • All others were booked online using Tata photon wherever we had internet, or our family members in Bangalore booked it for us. These bookings were done one or two days earlier as and when we were changing our plans

In our North-South trip, however, I had booked almost all the hotels in advance

Quote:
In how many places did you feel Safari's GC was an advantage? Can anyone do the same trip on a sedan without scraping the underbelly?
The first three places that comes to my mind are:
  • NH6/AH46, after entering West Bengal from Jharkhand till Kharaghpur
  • Places in Arunachal pradesh where there were detours because of Landslides
  • Gopalganj stretch in Bihar

Quote:
This description was amazing.
"Matchboxes" in particular was a perfect description.
I hope owners of Omnis took it n the right spirit.
It was only comparative-We were in a truck remember

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 20th August 2014 at 23:36.
Old 20th August 2014, 23:23   #69
BHPian

Here he goes again! Hemanth, I just finished a trip to Leh in June inspired by your travelogue and am yet only two pages into mine, and you put something like this one up!? I don't know if I should envy you or admire you (obviously the latter).

Kudos! Keep inspiring
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 00:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up Hemanth. It took me 3 hours to complete reading this t-log in a stretch and trust me I liked each and every bit of it, also I could feel the adrenaline rush you had throughout your journey.

I would like to convey my hearty congratulations and Good luck for your upcoming trips. Also IMO, Mohith and Rajesh would have had an amazing and memorable trip in their lifetime and they would like to explore many such places in near future.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 09:16   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
Here he goes again! Hemanth, I just finished a trip to Leh in June inspired by your travelogue and am yet only two pages into mine, and you put something like this one up!? I don't know if I should envy you or admire you (obviously the latter).

Kudos! Keep inspiring
Thanks Vikki@Hyderabad for all those nice words,

Congratulations on completing the Leh trip. will look forward to your travelogue. And will you also visit Arunachal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I would like to convey my hearty congratulations and Good luck for your upcoming trips. Also IMO, Mohith and Rajesh would have had an amazing and memorable trip in their lifetime and they would like to explore many such places in near future.
A big 'Thank you' fusionbag from all the three of us,

Mohith is currently in Leh doing a bike trip. He ia also planning to visit Kanyakumari. He wanted to finish the remaininig two corners before we go on our next trip
He is also dreaming of buying a Safari since many days. Hopefully the next time, we will take two Safaris!

This addiction bug has truly bit us hard!
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 09:29   #72
Team-BHP Support

Excellent write-up Hemanth!

After the London-Mongolia trip report by Rejoy, this is one travelogue I read through fully in one stretch. Looking forward to your next epic journey!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 09:36   #73
BHPian

Hello Hemant
Just read your post completely. Feel like getting out of the office & go for a trip like this..
I have been dreaming to do a trip like this, but not sure whether I could do it on a 10 year old TCIC safari which has done about 80K kms till now.

Though I have been driving since long & have driven few long trips (Max about 3K kms) & also good amount of travel in the US, I am not sure whether I could do a trip like yours with family. With your experience on long trips, please advise .

what I liked the most in your write up is the learning from your trip, yes, we do know where we are when we get to see around. Extremely well written, while reading, I felt I was there ...

Thanks for motivating lot of us , & do let me know routes like this are ok to go ahead for amateur like me.

Wish you to do many more trips like this .

Thanks from my heart.. Ananth
Ananth_shukti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 11:03   #74
BHPian

Hemanth, just completed going through each word of your mega travel. Astonishing. Its equally wonderful, how you actually kept to your plan of completing the trip within the time.
The pictures themselves tell the story.
Makes my heart really ache for a similar one of a kind drive. If only...
Congratulations! And keep them coming. What next?
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 11:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He wanted to finish the remaininig two corners before we go on our next trip
He is also dreaming of buying a Safari since many days. Hopefully the next time, we will take two Safaris!

This addiction bug has truly bit us hard!
Good to know that Mohith is catching up with you guys and munching miles with his bike. Wish I will reach the stage where I get leaves approved and the gain some vitamin-M of course.

Also let me know next time, if time permits I would also like to join your expenditure and see if I can make some mark like Mohith did covering 5000kms or try to beat that. Since I am going through your "We ran out of road" t-log, the adrenaline is pumping in me to join you guys.

Last edited by fusionbang : 21st August 2014 at 11:52.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed