Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 23:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Horse-Face: The Jewel of Western Ghats

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I didn't know that the waste slurry has so much value. Given the mentality of the people, they would loot it within no time if not guarded. But the scene from that place is fantastic. Any idea about the visit to the abandoned factory and old mines? If the permission can be obtained, it would be worth a visit. But I highly doubt if they'll give the permission citing security reasons. I also wanted to visit the birth place of Thunga Badhra but we were already running out of stipulated time and hence couldn't visit.
I could also not give enough time to the place and go to see the lesser known places. The CISF guy at the dam allowed me to take snaps from cell but said no camera !

But all in all it was an awesome drive.

Here is the hill in the background beyond Hanumangundi.
Horse-Face: The Jewel of Western Ghats-nex3n_a3_201312231153462014022612_a3.jpg
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 15:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi Raghu,

Excellent compilation. Can you also suggest stay options?

I have driven from Manipal to Bangalore and it was a wonderful journey.

Drove till the Bhagvati camp, but they informed prior booking from the forest department is required. The setting looked quite inviting though I am not sure if it will be suitable for a family stay.

Cheers

Vindy
To book Bhagavathi Nature camp, you have the following options :

1. Aranya Bhavan, Malleswaram , Bangalore.
2. Range Forest Officer, Karkala ( Below the ghats )
3. Private Adventure Tour Operators

I know a private adventure tour operator in Bangalore by the name "Adreno". They can get it arranged fir you.

Bhagavathi is safe for families as well, but there are no luxuries. No hot water either. The tented cottages are well-built.
raghunandanj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 15:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You have couple of home stays. (Upasana and Thangali). Upasana is closer to Kundremukh. Its at Samse. Kalasa main town has a hotel.
In Kalasa Town :

Thotadur Yatri Nivas - Opposite Indian Oil Petrol Bunk, Kudremukha Road
Suprabha Lodge - Outskirts of town, on Horanadu Road
raghunandanj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 11:10   #34
BHPian

Back from a trip last weekend so would like to share a few tips and photos:

The Bhagavathi Nature Camp is a must visit place. The entry fee is 200/- per adult. You can pay the same at Kudremukh R.F.O. office or in the camp gate itself. The tents looked good though the facilities are pretty basic. (I'm planning to stay there next time, and give my kid an idea of roughing it out). They have a kitchen, and you can get rice/rasam/palya at a very nominal cost, saved us in the middle of nowhere. The stream nearby, the forest around ... is a great ambience alongwith extremely friendly staff.

The best part is a 2 hour jeep ride (cost 1200/- max 8 persons) from the camp to Singsara view point and Lakhya dam. There's no fixed timing, you can take it any time of the day (if it is available). The jeep takes you first to a vast grassland peak in Singsara where the view is like this in all directions:
Horse-Face: The Jewel of Western Ghats-img_1976.jpg
Where we found this cute fellow on the jeep track:
Horse-Face: The Jewel of Western Ghats-img_1985.jpg
And then it also takes you to the Lakhya dam which you otherwise can't visit in your own vehicle because CISF security will stop you:
Horse-Face: The Jewel of Western Ghats-img_1990.jpg
Also you can't help but notice the mine silt deposit - a vast area with almost no vegetation (giving you an idea about side effect of mining):
Horse-Face: The Jewel of Western Ghats-img_1996.jpg

You get 1.5 hrs by default to get out of the national park limit (overstay fine is 100/- per hour), but if you visit Bhagavathi camp, you can get the gate pass reissued.

We stayed in Thangaali home stay (6 km before Kalasa) - pretty much recommended for the view, comfort, food and cordiality of the staff.
kousik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks