Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 12:05   #31
BHPian

Re: God's Own Country, Linea T-Jet, Devil's Own Roads and Meen Pollichathu

A well written Travelogue and great pictures

"Devil's Own Roads" -

But, you should realize that Kerala is an area wise small state with very high population density and topographical diversity. Already, there are three International Airports. The whole state is fully choked with population, roads, railway lines and towns. There is no more space for widening the existing roads. Heavy traffic and heavy monsoons play havoc on the condition of the existing roads. Hence a speed limit of 70 Km/hr (only) on the best of the highways! which is considered to be safe! Driving a distance of 140 Kms (Cochin to Palakkad) fully on NH47 in 3 hours is considered as a good drive as we get an average of 40-45 km/hr.
As we are living in such a state, quite often I envy those lucky ones who are in other states with better roads.
philgrac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 12:26   #32
BHPian

Being a Mallu myself and having experienced Kerala Buss Drivers.the Speed Limit is only meant for bullock carts so to speak. I have had experiences which makes me say A CAT has nine life's, A Mallu who lives in Kerala 9 life's per day if not half a day! Most Kerala Bus Drivers are rash drivers with little regard to civic sense. no offense meant to anyone but this my personal opinion.

Cheers!

Have a great day!

Last edited by shashi63 : 17th February 2014 at 12:28.
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 17:35   #33
BHPian

Palitrana, amazing drive and fantastic locations, I have been to God's own country many times but have never been to the place where you had been to at Allapuzha, simply amazing, how did you find such exotic places. The munnar property is also superb, so much of privacy in the middle of tea estate. Can you please share the contact details and tariff at Munnar. Just curious as to where you stayed at Thrissur too.
Hats off for pulling such a long drive to such varied places, must have been excitement throughout the stages of planning unto driving.

Yes the roads in kerala is not a fancy to drive, not for the road condition but the number of small towns that you keep passing, so only choice is early morning or late night if you dont want too much of crowd.
Wishing you many more long drives and keep writing, you took me through some wonderful places through your writing.
majumon is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks