Team-BHP - Drive to the Indian Savannah: Blackbuck National Park @ Velavadar, Gujarat
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Drive to the Indian Savannah: Blackbuck National Park @ Velavadar, Gujarat (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/146723-drive-indian-savannah-blackbuck-national-park-velavadar-gujarat-4.html)

These are professional magazine cover materials you've got there. Just one word, stunning. Keep up the good work. :)

Stunning Pictures, Subrat. However just for information, do they allow your own vehicle inside the park? And do they allow people to get down and take pictures (this is something new)?. Other than the hyenas what are the natural predators of the blackbucks there?

Subrat - Great snaps as usual. But as everyone has said, the first shot is out of the world - Blackbuck in 3D!!! Rated 5 stars

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandisa (Post 3348090)
Awesome clicks to say the least!
Sorry if i missed it anywhere, but the vehicle in the very 1st picture looks like a toyota FJ40. Was this an official safari vehicle? Haven't seen anything similar in any Indian jungle/national park.

When I saw the photo on the home page, I was like ' Vow! an FJ safari vehicle in India':D

Hi BHPians

I'm planning to go for a long drive late April or mid may with my family, consisting of myself, my wife, son (9 yrs.) and daughter (14 years).

I'll be the only person who ill be driving on most stretches, occasionally my wife may drive.

Vehicle will be Renault Logan - diesel

As of now, planning to visit

Velvadar National Park
Gir National Park
Little Rann of Kutch (LRK)
Dwarika
Somnath

In this regards, I need your help in proper planning.

1. How many days will be required to cover all these places thoroughly considering Safaris at first three locations for Shooting Hyenas, Foxes, Lion, Leopards, Wild Ass and other species.
2. Places to stay. Moderate budget but good for a family point of view. Should not be too far from Forest to avoid delay in Safari's.
3. Safari bookings ?
4. I heard that in Velvadar and LRK we can take our vehicle by paying entry fee etc. (is it true)
5. Whom to contact for Safaris etc.
6. Whether the time selected is OK to visit these places ?

Waiting for valuable inputs in detail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs (Post 3350109)
Speachless! No need to repeat what all others have said. Another feather to your wildlife travelogues list. Good to know the pictures are not filtered through effects but just basic post processing. They very well justify your skill and gearclap:.

Seeing a Toyota FJ in the frist pic which is also posted in the home page, I thought this is some foreign land. Can't believe resorts in India are using them for safari.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. There is one high end resort who is using this Toyota FJ. I have not seen this vehicle in any other places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3350513)
Welcome back Subrat, good to see you after sometime and what a way to be back. Awesome pictures, so you did not use your 100-400 or you have dumped that lens?

Thank you dear. Hardly, i am using my 100-400 but it is still with me as my daughter started using this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3350876)
What a beautiful set of pics man!!! LOVELY! clap:

Did you process these pics or are these as shot?

I do NOT think I am going to read anything in this thread, makes me scroll and look for more pics everytime. :D

5*s all the way!! THANK YOU for treating us!!

Thank you so much for your appreciation and kind words. I have processed these in photoshop viz., colour management, sharpening, highlights etc. The best part is that winter light and the winter coats of animals did the magic. Thanks for the rating again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacadvani (Post 3351106)
Amazing photographs. Even i love photography and hopefully one day even i would be able to capture such brilliant pictures. Thanks for sharing your experience, felt like i saw these animals personally :)

Very happy with your comments. Thank you so much for the encouraging comments. Everything needs practice. Go to the field, do mistakes, learn from your mistakes and rectify them. You will definitely get good pictures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeethucj (Post 3352435)
Great Photography Subrat. Can you tell us what camera you were using?

Thanks
Jeethu

Hi Jeethu, thanks for your comments. I have used Canon 5D MK III and 300 f/2.8 L IS II USM lens with 2X TC for the entire series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subhodeep.g (Post 3352800)
These are professional magazine cover materials you've got there. Just one word, stunning. Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you so much for your excellent encouragement. I will do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by me_sid (Post 3354728)
Stunning Pictures, Subrat. However just for information, do they allow your own vehicle inside the park? And do they allow people to get down and take pictures (this is something new)?. Other than the hyenas what are the natural predators of the blackbucks there?

Thank you so much. Yes, they do allow private vehicles inside the park. It is not allowed to get down from your vehicles but it is relaxed to some extent because there is not large predators like Tigers or lions. The large predator are like Hyena and Wolf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallumowgli (Post 3355027)
Subrat - Great snaps as usual. But as everyone has said, the first shot is out of the world - Blackbuck in 3D!!! Rated 5 stars

When I saw the photo on the home page, I was like ' Vow! an FJ safari vehicle in India':D

Thank you so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by micrographics (Post 3384725)
Hi BHPians

I'm planning to go for a long drive late April or mid may with my family, consisting of myself, my wife, son (9 yrs.) and daughter (14 years).

I'll be the only person who ill be driving on most stretches, occasionally my wife may drive.

Vehicle will be Renault Logan - diesel

As of now, planning to visit

Velvadar National Park
Gir National Park
Little Rann of Kutch (LRK)
Dwarika
Somnath

In this regards, I need your help in proper planning.

1. How many days will be required to cover all these places thoroughly considering Safaris at first three locations for Shooting Hyenas, Foxes, Lion, Leopards, Wild Ass and other species.
2. Places to stay. Moderate budget but good for a family point of view. Should not be too far from Forest to avoid delay in Safari's.
3. Safari bookings ?
4. I heard that in Velvadar and LRK we can take our vehicle by paying entry fee etc. (is it true)
5. Whom to contact for Safaris etc.
6. Whether the time selected is OK to visit these places ?

Waiting for valuable inputs in detail.

Let me take your question one by one.

1. How many days for first three locations for Shooting Hyenas, Foxes, Lion, Leopards, Wild Ass: Velavadar and LRK is for Hyenna, Wolf, foxes and Wild ass is only at LRK. Sightings of animals is not certain, it is matter of luck and need careful tracking. You may get Hyena but wolf sighting is rare as well as of foxes. So, time is up to you. Anyways, 6 safari at each places minimum i would suggest. At Gir, lion sightings are generlly good unless luck is bad. Leopard at Gir is tricky.

2. Stay: At Velavadar, you can book the forest guest house by calling in this no.0278 2920222. Other option is Blackbuck lodge - the pricey one.
At LRK, There are many resorts viz., Rann Riders, Desert courses etc. which are pricey but excellent services. Budget and good service is Bhavna Farm Resort. You can google all of them to get contact. I stayed at Bhavna farm and feel it is ok.

3. Safari bookings: Only at Gir you need to book safari online. Other places it is on the spot.

4. At Velavadar and LRK, you can take your vehicles inside.

5. Avoid rather i would say do not go to LRK as it will be difficult for you as well as for your kids to bear the heat.

Regards
Subrat

Amazing travelog and really a must to go place for me. I've added this into my Gujarat trip itinerary, and will definitely visit Blackbuck national park whenever I travel to that part of India.

Thanks a lot for showing this part of Gujarat, and as pointed out by girishglg also.

I would also like to ask, did you go to LRK? As you mentioned in the starting and also in the above post, but couldn't see any pictures of that? After some really astonishing pictures of Blackbuck National Park, I had expected you will post your experience of LRK as well. Is that still pending?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurha (Post 3395169)
Amazing travelog and really a must to go place for me.
I would also like to ask, did you go to LRK? As you mentioned in the starting and also in the above post, but couldn't see any pictures of that? After some really astonishing pictures of Blackbuck National Park, I had expected you will post your experience of LRK as well. Is that still pending?

Thank you so much for liking this. Yes, i do visited LRK. It was just for a day. However, i had a photologue here, you can see them. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hotologue.html