Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2006, 17:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

samurai, there is a wonderful brew coorgis make from rice.....no i cant remember the name, but it is better than the best scotch i have had in my life. why dont you say something about that please ?
Old 17th October 2006, 17:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Man , good to walk inside paddy fields ,when i was a kid have walked inside them and its such a good feeling.
Samurai good to see some one moving and staying there ,btw good shots there.

Last edited by black12rr : 17th October 2006 at 17:49.
Old 17th October 2006, 18:32   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
samurai, there is a wonderful brew coorgis make from rice.....no i cant remember the name, but it is better than the best scotch i have had in my life. why dont you say something about that please ?
Well, these photos are not from Coorg, and I am not a Kodava either. I know they make some kind of wine from the rice, but I am not familiar with the process.
Old 17th October 2006, 18:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Well, these photos are not from Coorg, and I am not a Kodava either. I know they make some kind of wine from the rice, but I am not familiar with the process.
Local Samurai dont know about Local Sake?
Old 17th October 2006, 18:42   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Local Samurai dont know about Local Sake?
He is asking about Coorg sake, and Coorg is 250Kms away from my place. Not that local...
Old 17th October 2006, 22:38   #51
Team-BHP Support

Now the conclusion...

Yesterday's pics showed the rice stalks ready for harvesting. And here we go...

Farmhands spread out and start cutting the rice plants and create small bundles.

Closer look.

Then the bundles are put together to create a huge bundle.

Then the bundles are transported over head.

All the bundles are deposited at the thrashing area.

The rice seeds are separated from the stalk/plant by thrashing it on a wodden platform. The rice will fall through the platform.

Notice how the rice seeds are falling from the stack on the platform and getting collected at the bottom.

Once all the rice seeds fall away, the remaining hay is deposited for other purposes like cow-feed, roofing, etc.

In the coastal regions of Karnataka and Kerala, most of these rice seeds end up becoming reddish boiled rice instead of white rice. These rice seeds are next soaked in boiling water and later dried in special bambo containers of nearly 8-10 foot in height. Then it is dehusked, a process where the husk/cover is removed to reveal the rice as we all know it. The manual dehusking is done by pounding the husked rice seed using long poles for hours.

However, all these have become history, I described it from my childhood memory. In the modern times, after the thrashing process, the rice seeds are transported to the mill and the machines take over.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2006, 23:09   #52
Team-BHP Support

sweet memories of home.. neat oh warior.. why not some mud slinging with the cars pics also.. just kiddin.. keep it coming
Old 19th October 2006, 06:34   #53
BHPian

As always another awesome thread from Samurai. Thanks Samurai. Would you be touring the rice mill next?

-Haque
----------------------------------------------------

From SoftwareDLC to FoodDevelopmentLifeCycle ( ??? )
Old 19th October 2006, 18:35   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque
As always another awesome thread from Samurai. Thanks Samurai. Would you be touring the rice mill next?
Thanks a lot, but I am not going to click any mill/shill thingy, that's too mechanical...
Old 19th October 2006, 18:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the coastal regions of Karnataka and Kerala, most of these rice seeds end up becoming reddish boiled rice instead of white rice.
BECAUSE

Quote:
These rice seeds are next soaked in boiling water and later dried in special bambo containers of nearly 8-10 foot in height.
This process is called Par-Boiling. If you do not parboil, you still get white rice from the same seeds.

Par-boiled rice is NOT a different kind of rice as is popularly misconceived. Its just the same rice made in a different way. Par-boiling ensures that the nutrients contained in the seed stay with the rice as it is cooked with the rice, and do not get lost in the husking process.

What is lost in the subsequent husking process after par-boiling is the unusable skin of the husk. Hence par-boiled rice is considered more nutritious than regular white rice.

You have been good boys and girls. Now children please pack up your bags - the class is over as Samurai uncle is not taking us to the mill.
Old 19th October 2006, 19:03   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This process is called Par-Boiling. If you do not parboil, you still get white rice from the same seeds.

Par-boiled rice is NOT a different kind of rice as is popularly misconceived. Its just the same rice made in a different way.
Thanks for the addendum Steer, I skipped it without realising it may not be as obvious to the city kids.
Old 20th October 2006, 09:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
BECAUSE

You have been good boys and girls. Now children please pack up your bags - the class is over as Samurai uncle is not taking us to the mill.
That is very good one.
Old 20th October 2006, 12:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BECAUSE

Quote:

Par-boiled rice is NOT a different kind of rice as is popularly misconceived. Its just the same rice made in a different way. Par-boiling ensures that the nutrients contained in the seed stay with the rice as it is cooked with the rice, and do not get lost in the husking process.

What is lost in the subsequent husking process after par-boiling is the unusable skin of the husk. Hence par-boiled rice is considered more nutritious than regular white rice.
absolutely informative. kind of feel enlightened now. i used to wonder why keralites eat coloured rice. i thought it had something to do with the soil in kerala. stupid me. i used to avoid that rice & look for restaurants that serve white rice. now i wont. thanks steer & thanks samurai too. wonderful presentation.

p.s. now, can we have that lollypop & go home ?
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2006, 13:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

That was great..... came in late for the class.....but any way ....truly worth all the praise visitors had poured in....great right up , informative at the same time equally interesting without being boring....
Old 22nd October 2006, 11:48   #60
BHPian

samurai, that was a very nicely documented photo series . i especially like the young rice stalk photo and other two suggesting implied motion (stalk beaten in wooden platform & bundles being deposited).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks