Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 14:43   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
But, Samurai, I am not just writing to praise you .... I can see the sensitive human being from your camera's eye. No wonder you returned to India - no where will see such hard work, peace and joy!! Best of luck - with whatever you are doing
Thanks Prabhu, that's a nice compliment. Coincidently, I am replying exactly after an year.

The reason I came to update this thread is a sad one. As many of you know monsoon didn't really end this year in this coastal belt, it has continued to pour even after two month into winter season.

While offroaders may be happy about this fact, the people who practice any kind of agriculture have suffered immensely. The harvesting time is usually around mid October, but the harvesting never really happened this year due to continuous rain. The paddy has to be dry for harvesting, but rain never let it go dry. So wet paddy still stands in the field, or in many cases have fallen to the ground. Even in some cases where harvesting was completed, the rain drenched the seeds, making it sprout, hence useless for consumption.

Newly harvested rice should have hit the stores by now, but there is no new rice this time. The old rice is now selling at premium. The rain has also affected the vegetable production, lots of vegetables have become very pricey now.

Didn't have the heart to shoot destroyed paddy fields, therefore no photographs this time.
Old 16th November 2010, 15:50   #92
BHPian

I am awestruck by your memory! How did you manage to come back exactly an year after the last post by vrprabhu? Did you keep notes/remainder or was it sheer coincidence? I ask as I have a real bad memory and I am trying to nurture my grey matter to be like yours

On a serious note, the extended monsoons have destroyed most of the paddy fields here in AP too. Quite a sad state of affairs this time around. I wonder if this is the real face of global warming..Every other year, there is a famine or more than require rain.

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 16th November 2010 at 15:58.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:07   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
I am awestruck by your memory! How did you manage to come back exactly an year after the last post by vrprabhu? Did you keep notes/remainder or was it sheer coincidence?
I have mentioned that it was a co-incidence. I am not mad to keep notes on when I updated a thread.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:49   #94
Senior - BHPian

These unseasonal rains have damaged most of the standing crops. It has been a very bad monsoon for most of us. First, it was the late monsoon and now it is the 'never ending' monsoon. The whole agricultural process in India is based on the seasons and if one season overlaps the other, it is very damaging. Although it is dependent on rains, it has now received more than enough and I hope it subsides soon.
Old 17th November 2010, 04:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

+1 for the above three comments. Seasons are definitely changing. Temperatures in the summer is unbearable
Old 6th July 2012, 16:25   #96
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nutty Story

Come across this very refreshingly different thread. The green standing paddy saplings are a sight on its own. For many like us city blokes, its a real treat for our eyes and a very soothing sight indeed.

Many times have stopped on the way side between Mandya and Mysore on the BM highway to stare and take in the lush greenery of the paddy fields
Looks like the rains are playing hide and seek this year around. Not sure of the costal belt though, heard somewhere that the rains are ok there.

Praying rain Gods so that we are fed to live to see nature's beauty such as this!
Old 6th July 2012, 16:38   #97
Team-BHP Support

Well, it is raining very well here. Even 10% of this rain can flood Bangalore roads thoroughly.
Old 10th July 2012, 20:42   #98
BHPian

This is a nice thread. I too am from Udupi but unfortunately have been a non resident all my life. Your photos do bring back lovely memories of the time when I used to visit my home town every summer vacation.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:08   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is finally harvest time...

Paddy Field looks like this before harvesting...

A young rice stalk

A mature rice stalk

A harvested rice stalk (1:1 macro)

Closeup of a rice grain before dehusking.

More photos will follow once I post-process more, this time everything is shot in raw. But my photoshop skills are also raw, so don't expect anything great.
It just touched the heart.. pure and raw form of rice.. hmm smelling it divine. gr8 work Samurai..
hawk14277 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 20:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk14277 View Post
It just touched the heart.. pure and raw form of rice.. hmm smelling it divine. gr8 work Samurai..

Those are some amazing close up pics of the humble paddy stalk. A true tribute to the wonderful nature and all that effort that goes into it to get it to our plate.

A little off topic but it pains when people waste a lot of food while eating after all that hard work behind it. If one is not eating that much then better not have it on the plate. Just my thoughts.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:34   #101
BHPian

Re: Nutty Story - Is it still manual in Karnataka?

I just happened to see this wonderful thread, though I understand that it was more than 5 years old.

It reminded me of all that scenes I used to watche while walking to school during my child hood. I was brought up in Kerala. I came to know that manual tilling is almost non existent in Kerala (at least in the district that I am familiar with). Also, I am told that the harvesting is also mostly mechanised.

What about Karnataka?

Regards
Ramesh

Most Viewed