Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 18:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Journey is the Destination - Charkhole, Lolegaon, Rishop and Mt Faintenjungha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Relli Bridge? How long was the bridge? How far down below the bridge was the stream?
It was this place, sorry for the poor image quality.

Journey is the Destination - Charkhole, Lolegaon, Rishop and Mt Faintenjungha-dsc_7071.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 4th February 2014 at 18:50.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 18:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Journey is the Destination - Charkhole, Lolegaon, Rishop and Mt Faintenjungha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
It was this place, sorry for the poor image quality.
]
This could be the Relli bridge, Paved road on either side of the bridge?
Old 4th February 2014, 21:24   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...it did not have any clue what it was going
for, neither did the driver!
You do have a penchant for finding off-the-beaten-track routes and following them. Loved the way you've described the places. And how often does one get to stay in a resort with the whole place to oneself - that too, without mobile network?!

Right now, I'm dreaming of staying in such a place for a week, if I can find something similar nearby! As Mr. R. N. Tagore said...

Mt. Faintenjungha indeed! Cinq étoiles!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 10:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And how often does one get to stay in a resort with the whole place to oneself -
Yes, and that very fact was a cause for the Spookiness that, I mentioned, I felt as the evening passed by.

The feeling drew strength from a few facts that did not line up in the collective minds earlier.

Firstly, there was no one else apart from the manager in the whole compound, that too the Manager was unusual in not being a local.

Secondly, all we met, is a total of 5 people after having left Bagrakote around 12hrs back. Although this would be fine in a desert or a deserted location, this is North Bengal and not some hard to reach place.

Thirdly, we reached here by chance, that too a whole compound situated on top of the hill secluded from everything else.

Fourth, It just struck me that while I signed the guest register, the last customer entry, I recalled, having signed on 15-Dec 2013. So for a good part of one and half months the place has not seen activity.

Fifth, for a place that does not seem to have great customer activity, it's readiness/cleanliness of rooms, cafetaria, hall etc was a little out of place. Moreso because there was no staff that made himself shown.

Sixth, when I got there, the mind to stay there was almost immediate, so the thought towards the evening was "have I been lured in?!"

Seventh, the statues

Eighth, the howl of foxes at night.

Ninth, this is the decor of the cottage!

Journey is the Destination - Charkhole, Lolegaon, Rishop and Mt Faintenjungha-img_25501.jpg

The early morning veil of fog (despite a clear night earlier) had, for a minute, got me thinking that we had been transported through a portal! Unfortunately, when I walked through the fog, the cafetaria and Marengo and even the roads appeared.

Quote:
that too, without mobile network?!
Its surprising how the very enabler that changed our lives (cell phones) have become the nuisance that we all want to get away from!

Even if we somehow manage, the reality hits us soon and we frantically try to get back online, even after having managed to communicate to near and dear ones that we are safe.

I was giving a try for a long time on top of the hill, it thankfully, frustratingly did not work.

Journey is the Destination - Charkhole, Lolegaon, Rishop and Mt Faintenjungha-img_2552.jpg

Quote:
As Mr. R. N. Tagore said...
So given the video, should I assume you will probably spend Dol at Bolpur?

Quote:
Cinq étoiles!
Thanks so much, will unwrap it and have it for a lovely lunch! Not sure why, am already feeling grumpy today!
Old 5th February 2014, 10:55   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, when I walked through the fog, the cafetaria and Marengo and even the roads appeared.
All I can do in my present state of affairs is to sit back and dream of being in such a place, since transporting myself physically there is an impossibility in the near future.
Quote:
So given the video, should I assume you will probably spend Dol at Bolpur?
In my mind, yes.
Quote:
Not sure why, am already feeling grumpy today!
Here's (hopefully) some advice to cope!
Old 12th February 2014, 02:56   #21

Well, you two(you and marengo) are always upto something. Something great as always.
Lovely photographs accompanied by wonderful details.
subhodeep.g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 05:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This could be the Relli bridge, Paved road on either side of the bridge?
At that time it was unpaved and construction was going on.
Old 17th February 2014, 10:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhodeep.g View Post
Well, you two(you and marengo) are always upto something. Something great as always.
Lovely photographs accompanied by wonderful details.
Thanks Subhodeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
At that time it was unpaved and construction was going on.
Since you mention that construction was going on, then it must be the Lolegaon-Relli-Algarah-Lava route that we took on our way back. The construction now is more or less complete and the road is quite good between Relli and Loleygaon now. Must have been an adventure then.
Old 1st March 2014, 18:14   #24
BHPian

Loved the narration, we went to Lolegaon years back in my friends Gypsy when the road from Kalimpong to Lolegaon was unpaved. Lolegaon looks so different now, from recent photographs I see.

Continue driving.
Powersteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 22:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersteer View Post
Loved the narration, we went to Lolegaon years back in my friends Gypsy when the road from Kalimpong to Lolegaon was unpaved. Lolegaon looks so different now, from recent photographs I see.

Continue driving.
That might have been quite a drive back then, given what we saw over the years.

Probably the road to Loleygaon back then looked like this then!

Journey is the Destination - Charkhole, Lolegaon, Rishop and Mt Faintenjungha-img_2691.jpg

One pic of Marengo Peeping at us from the parking at Jhandi Dara viewpoint

Journey is the Destination - Charkhole, Lolegaon, Rishop and Mt Faintenjungha-img_2684.jpg
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed