Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 12:53   #61
BHPian

Re: Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar

Satan - That was an amazing photologue. I had a thought of doing the Spiti circuit in June this year, but then changed my mind to do the Leh Ladakh circuit a second time this year. After looking at your posts, I am having second thoughts. Whats your views on Ladakh circuit Vs. Spiti circuit?
Old 19th March 2014, 13:06   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
Satan - That was an amazing photologue. I had a thought of doing the Spiti circuit in June this year, but then changed my mind to do the Leh Ladakh circuit a second time this year. After looking at your posts, I am having second thoughts. Whats your views on Ladakh circuit Vs. Spiti circuit?
Haah! Very tough decision Sourav. Both circuits have their own charm and beauty. The only difference is that Ladakh is only accessible for 5-6 mths a year whereas you can drive all the way upto Kunzum La in Spiti (from the Shimla side) pretty much throughout the year. If you haven't done Spiti before then you should definitely do the Spiti Loop and make sure to visit Sangla and Chitkul too while you are there. If you've already been to both places then its really upto you.

The thing with the Himalaya is that no matter how often you go visit them you never seem to get your fill. Atleast me..I am headed back there in April
Old 20th March 2014, 15:49   #63
BHPian

Superb trip Satan, you have left us all bedevilled with the idea to emulate the same, but then each trip has its own story. Did the zanskar valley in similar conditions last year. Love the snow and the white out scenery, but after a few days you miss the browns and the greens of a tropical (even half way up the himalayas) landscape.
We travelled through the same region a few years back in my Fortuner, in september, we were surrounded by green and water falls everywhere we went except when we climbed higher. The change from then to the photographs that you have put now is amazing.
Superb Travelogue and thanks for sharing.
Manmohan.
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

All 5 pages were riveting stuff Satan. Wonderful triplog!

I have gone up to Rekong Peo and Chitkul in peak winter (December of 2010) on my bike. Is it possible to go all the way to Kaza or beyond on a bike around the same time like you guys did in your 4x4s? Or is the black ice too extensive and would render large sections undoable? I remember the Narkanda stretch was particularly bad.
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:56   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Wanted to add another video to the post, I just managed to finish editing it. This is more from the point of view of the Thar, and is not a chronicle of the journey, its not linear, but more of how the drive felt.

In the initial part of the drive it just felt like the opening sequence from 'The Shining', so that became the inspiration for the video edit.

If you have the bandwidth watch it in HD full screen!

You guys are just rubbing it in, to all of us who think ourselves of the adventurous types.
How do you make such videos, the editing is pro stuff and the BG instrumental seems perfect. Wish I could watch this in a movie hall.
Old 22nd March 2014, 20:35   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I have gone up to Rekong Peo and Chitkul in peak winter (December of 2010) on my bike. Is it possible to go all the way to Kaza or beyond on a bike around the same time like you guys did in your 4x4s? Or is the black ice too extensive and would render large sections undoable? I remember the Narkanda stretch was particularly bad.
Thanks Ebonho. I would not advise a bike trip in Jan as I feel it would be very dangerous. In hind sight after Pooh we did not see a single 2 wheeler on this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
You guys are just rubbing it in, to all of us who think ourselves of the adventurous types.
How do you make such videos, the editing is pro stuff and the BG instrumental seems perfect. Wish I could watch this in a movie hall.
Thanks Himadrimondal. Both Kartik and Rishad are pros at their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Superb trip Satan, you have left us all bedevilled with the idea to emulate the same, but then each trip has its own story. Did the zanskar valley in similar conditions last year. Love the snow and the white out scenery, but after a few days you miss the browns and the greens of a tropical (even half way up the himalayas) landscape.
We travelled through the same region a few years back in my Fortuner, in september, we were surrounded by green and water falls everywhere we went except when we climbed higher. The change from then to the photographs that you have put now is amazing.
Superb Travelogue and thanks for sharing.
Manmohan.
Thanks Manmohanmaan. I've been to Spiti many times during the summer season but nothing bests this trip..
Old 22nd March 2014, 23:27   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Hey thanks a lot, glad you enjoyed the videos! I just took inspiration from the opening title sequence of Kubrik's classic, The Shining, since the road felt similarly eerie. Do watch the movie if you can. Cheers!
HillyThar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:32   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Since I live next to Narkanda I can comment on that part, each winter the accumulation will be different, its almost April and there is still lots of black ice on the Narkanda stretch, snow banks on both side of the road and a possible snowfall in the next day or so!
HillyThar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:40   #69
BHPian

Hi guys

Been busy so was away for a while. Read the log yesterday and today. Absolutely amazing and the snaps look different as landscapes are covered in snow! This stands out from other logs from the same places so cheers!

Regards
Anand
Old 3rd May 2014, 14:12   #70
BHPian

Just read the travelogue, It takes guts to do something of this kind, that too during winter. It was great to see the snowy vistas. I particularly liked the way the pressure cooker was used for the engine warming!. Amazing stuff!!. Wish you all the best for further travels and adventures.
alphadog is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 21:49   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Just read the travelogue, It takes guts to do something of this kind, that too during winter. It was great to see the snowy vistas. I particularly liked the way the pressure cooker was used for the engine warming!. Amazing stuff!!. Wish you all the best for further travels and adventures.
Thanks Alphadog. I don't think it takes guts to do this trip. Its more about your mental prep to be ready to rough it out incase you get caught out on account of bad weather and more importantly be prepared for any such eventuality. Yes the pressure cooker idea was nothing short of genius from one of the locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtalwar View Post
Hi guys

Been busy so was away for a while. Read the log yesterday and today. Absolutely amazing and the snaps look different as landscapes are covered in snow! This stands out from other logs from the same places so cheers!

Regards
Anand
Thanks Anand. Yes the vistas look completely different from what they do in summer.
Old 9th May 2014, 10:37   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Query : How come in height of winters diesel in the fuel pump's tank does not freeze? How are they able to dispense? Do they use anti-freeze? If yes then the diesel should not freeze in tank.
Old 9th May 2014, 10:58   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Query : How come in height of winters diesel in the fuel pump's tank does not freeze? How are they able to dispense? Do they use anti-freeze? If yes then the diesel should not freeze in tank.
We popped this question to the fuel pump attendant at Kaza on the way back and he smiled and told us that the underground storage tanks were insulated with a false wall (ie an air gap on the 3 vertical sides of the tank). While that may be true I think the "wind chill factor" is the primary cause of the diesel freezing in the vehicles - something that the diesel stored underground does not experience

Also as mentioned there is a storehouse up in Kibber village that had two 100 litre plastic barrels of diesel in liquid form that morning but I am presuming that diesel was in liquid state as it was stored indoors where the temperature was a lot higher than out in the open.

Initially I was quite sure that there was kero mixed in the diesel at the pump but atleast from its golden colour it did not appear to be adulterated.
Old 10th May 2014, 07:45   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I did some questioning to Google Baba and found these explanations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_sheltering - see frost line under benefits

http://www.alliantenergy.com/SaveEne...rmal/index.htm

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...mperatures.htm

So even in Kaza during winters if you can bury yourself in to a hole you can survive!!!
Old 27th May 2014, 14:26   #75
BHPian

Lovely TL, absolutely stunning pics.

Hats off to all of you to brave the weather, adventure has a price and you guys seem to have swiped off to glory!

By the way, also read parts of this TL (minus the Thar) in the May edition of Top Gear.

The pictures printed on glossy sheets make the snaps even more breathtaking!

Awesome stuff satan! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Trojan

Last edited by Trojan : 27th May 2014 at 14:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks