Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 23:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Ladakh - A drive as great as the destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru153 View Post
Hi Sami,

From an expense perspective, my t fort gave me a avg mileage of 12 km pl. The total diesel cost alone was approximating to Rs. 50k. Toll cost if i recollect corretly was in the range of Rs.5k (including the jamuna express toll).

For food (we had carried some ready to eat, chocolates etc) and our cost of food both put to together was around 16k.

Our stay cost was around 20k, as we had not planned any place untill we reached. This risk was mainly on account of the fact, that it was end of season, so getting accomodation in and around Leh circuit upto delhi was not a challenge.

To sum it up, the total cost was Rs 1 lac (approximately).

Hope this answers your query. I will need to hunt it down. Once i get those, from my records, i will share it with you.
RU153: Thanks a lot for the information. It will certainly come in handy for guys like me planning similar road trip.
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:22   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
RU153: Thanks a lot for the information. It will certainly come in handy for guys like me planning similar road trip.
Hi

I am attaching the planned itenary, list of hotels with contact details and a detailed J&K map. These might be of help to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Ladakh - A drive as great as the destination-jammukashmirladakh.gif  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Route Options from Blr to Leh.xlsx (17.7 KB, 566 views)
File Type: pdf hotellist.pdf (157.5 KB, 1251 views)
ru153 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:26   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Did you rely on GPS?
I read about a route bypassing Chushul on BCM touring.Is this the same route which you took?
{Note:Credits to original uploader}
GPS? I wish. My tomtom device decided to take a nap for most parts after Leh.

I am not understanding the map that you have posted, though I did bypass the checkposts. All that I did, was driving in the middle of nowhere and stick to the mountain on my right.
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I am attaching the planned itenary, list of hotels with contact details and a detailed J&K map. These might be of help to you.
Thanks for the information.
Few questions as we are leaving on 7th sep.

1) How are the road conditions especially on hanle and Tso moriri route?
2) Whether chushul permits are being given or not?
3) Any specific precaution to tak
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Thanks for the information.
Few questions as we are leaving on 7th sep.

1) How are the road conditions especially on hanle and Tso moriri route?
2) Whether chushul permits are being given or not?
3) Any specific precaution to tak
Hi Manasmadaan,

We had been to ladakh last year around this time, i guess on Sept 9th, 2013. To answer you questions;

1) The road conditions to Hanle was decent, with less potholes. You can go at a maximum speed of abt 50 - 60 kmph, which is good, compared to Leh standards.

2) We were given chushul permits. When we went, we had requested permits for all the possible places in that belt which we wanted to cover. If the dept, feels that some place is risky, they strike that name and give permit for the balance.

3) I am not sure, which vehicle you are driving to leh. But, ensure you carry adequate clothing as it might be rainy and some time, dry winter. Carry adequate medicines.

When driving to Hanle, there are lot of paths (concrete) one, given for water free flow. Be careful of that, as it might hit your front bumper badly. I saw a scorpio's bumper ripped off, as they rammed against that canal pathway, which even had a signboard.

After stretched of potholes, one tends to feel excited abt concrete/tar roads enroute to Hanle and they overlook the symbols for canal pathways for free flow of water. If water is flowing, then it is visible, but when we went it was dry and it costed front bumper for SUV's as well.

Drive safe and have a pleasant and memorable journey. Hope i have answered all your queries. Post some pics once your trip is completed, buddy.
ru153 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manasmadaan,

We had been to ladakh last year around this time, i guess on Sept 9th, 2013. To answer you questions;

1) The road conditions to Hanle was decent, with less potholes. You can go at a maximum speed of abt 50 - 60 kmph, which is good, compared to Leh standards.

2) We were given chushul permits. When we went, we had requested permits for all the possible places in that belt which we wanted to cover. If the dept, feels that some place is risky, they strike that name and give permit for the balance.

3) I am not sure, which vehicle you are driving to leh. But, ensure you carry adequate clothing as it might be rainy and some time, dry winter. Carry adequate medicines.

When driving to Hanle, there are lot of paths (concrete) one, given for water free flow. Be careful of that, as it might hit your front bumper badly. I saw a scorpio's bumper ripped off, as they rammed against that canal pathway, which even had a signboard.

After stretched of potholes, one tends to feel excited abt concrete/tar roads enroute to Hanle and they overlook the symbols for canal pathways for free flow of water. If water is flowing, then it is visible, but when we went it was dry and it costed front bumper for SUV's as well.

Drive safe and have a pleasant and memorable journey. Hope i have answered all your queries. Post some pics once your trip is completed, buddy.
Thanks for the quick reply and useful feedback. FYI, we will be travelling in XUV (4 of us)
Old 27th March 2015, 10:20   #52
BHPian

Hello,

Congratulations on your great adventure. Your post has been very informative and we have used most of the information you provided in this post.

We are team of 4 guys planning to do the same travel as you - Bangalore - Leh - Bangalore. I needed some help and tips in this regard, below are my queries and i hope you can find some time to provide answers.

1. We are planning to start our travel from June 27th. Is this okay time to visit Ladakh?
2. We will be going in either my XUV 500 (W8) or in friends' Ford Endeavour. Our tentative schedule is as below - Is this doable?
Day Date From To Kms travelled
1 27-Jun-15 BLR Nashik 1050
2 28-Jun-15 Nashik Jaipur 1000
3 29-Jun-15 Jaipur Jalandhar + Amritsar 700
4 30-Jun-15 Amritsar Jammu 200
5 1-Jul-15 Jammu Srinagar 300
6 2-Jul-15 Srinagar Kargil 250
7 3-Jul-15 Kargil Leh 200
8 4-Jul-15 Rest Day + visit to places in Leh
9 5-Jul-15 Rest Day + visit to places in Leh
10 6-Jul-15 Rest Day + visit to places in Leh
11 7-Jul-15 Leh Keylong 360
12 8-Jul-15 Keylong Manali 80
13 9-Jul-15 Stay at Manali - Rest
14 10-Jul-15 Manali Delhi 550
15 11-Jul-15 Delhi Chittorgarh 600
16 12-Jul-15 Chittorgarh Mumbai 800
17 13-Jul-15 Rest Day + visit to places in Mumbai
18 14-Jul-15 Mumbai Bangalore 1000

Thanks for your help in advance.
XUV500_BLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 12:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUV500_BLR View Post
Hello,

Congratulations on your great adventure. Your post has been very informative and we have used most of the information you provided in this post.

We are team of 4 guys planning to do the same travel as you - Bangalore - Leh - Bangalore. I needed some help and tips in this regard, below are my queries and i hope you can find some time to provide answers. ......
Hello XUV500_BLR,

Thanks for your note and apologies for a late response, as i got held up with some office work.

First thing first, on your choice of vehicles: both the options are fine. My choice would be XUV 500 mainly because, there is an authorized Mahindra service centre @ Leh. I do not remember seeing anything for Ford though. (I am presuming that you are talking abt Ford Endeavour automatic)
Mahindra XUV 500 has better front visibility than compared to Endeavour or my T fort. When I was climbing Zojila, Marsimekla etc. the feedback i received from fellow drivers was that Mahindra front visibility is better.

In summary, both are viable options, though preferred would be Mahindra.

The peak season for the places that you plan to go is between April/May to July/Aug. Since you are going during June end, i guess it should be fine. Please check the any other recent travelogues or any other blog just to be rest assured that there are no adverse climatic situations.

We had visited Leh during end of September and October, as it was off peak season and our intention was only to drive freely. So, we got relative traffic free stretches. We hardly met any vehicle for hours altogether in the some places which was a different kind of experience from me (another victim of the daily traffic snarls of Bangalore). Since you are traveling during the peak season, you will have decent crowd to accompany you and might even face Bangalore kind of traffic near Manali (based on what I have heard)

In your itenary, what are the places that you are planning to explore in Leh? It wasn't very clear in your itenary. My suggestion would be spend more time in and around leh such as Pangong, Nubra Valley, Hanle, chushul, Tso-Kar etc. In that case, you would move closer to Manali while covering these places and your itenary might change.

Rest of your itenary is very doable. You guys have planned decently, so that there is no overkill on the distance. I also presume, all the 4 of you would know to drive, so shouldn't be a problem.

In case you need specific inputs, feel free to PM me, and we can discuss. All the very best guys and enjoy your adventure and GET LEH'D.
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:42   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Hello XUV500_BLR,

Thanks for your note and apologies for a late response, as i got held up with some office work.

In case you need specific inputs, feel free to PM me, and we can discuss. All the very best guys and enjoy your adventure and GET LEH'D.
Hello, Thanks a lot for the response. I will PM you defintely as we need as much help as possible.

Regards,
Old 6th May 2017, 12:04   #55
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue ..... Looks like you had planned to the last T... Its nice see that you are putting Fortuner into good use. Have you missed Turtuk or you have not updated it ...

Last edited by raj.barcode : 6th May 2017 at 12:08.

Most Viewed