Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2006, 23:49   #1
DRC
BHPian

Finally we decided, ....Himagiri Gopalaswamy Betta..

A tongue twister name in deed.
Well, Myself and my wife were never decided about where to go for our wedding anniversary. She wouldn't get her day off on saturday. and a weekend of a day and a half is no good for any place which involve atleast 7 hrs of drive. Thought of going to Goa, but could not get the flights.

So, by 3;00PM on saturday afternoon, I started the car, without a slightest clue, where are we going, but with heated arguments with wife where to go? 1km passed, ther came the verdict, "DRIVE TO MYSORE, THERE WE DECIDE" and this 100kg genie of my wife just obeyed.

30 Mins later, I was about to turn into the Mysore road, I realized, I had forgotten the Documents of the car. I realized because the arguments had given me the first clue that we may go to Vynad, without any reservations. Soooo.... Turn around, drive home, get the docs and back on the road. So, Finally left Bangalore at 4:20PM, Very conny time isn't it. Stopped at the Shell station at Mysore road for fuel, after a while, fiddling with the pump he said "pumpu not working saar, mudukkogi, alli petrol ide" He showed me the other shell pump opposite to the road. I checked the fuel gauge,
There after the drive went very smooth, keeping up good speeds, but never in a hurry. still didn't know what is the final destination. We stopped for a coffe break at Cafe coffee day on the midway.

PS1:I had been driving this road ever since the construction began, Now that it is almost over, the road is very good. I have read many times in this forum, that this road being dangerous, Yes, no fault of roads, but some senseless idiots using this road recklessly.

Mysore::
Finally reached Mysore, Hotel King's Kourt (I think that how they spell it) at 7:00 sharp. The manager there showed us the room, which was kind of acceptable, except, the bed was not done for a family, Flush seemed to take too long, and.. thats about it. Manager told me he will fix it. I too agreed, as we thought we will go to the Chamundi hill for pooja, and retire for the day and start again the next day to the unknown destination. Drive to Chamundi Hil has always been a drive, I love to do any number of times. My wife and I love the miracle that happens on the last turn into the Nandi road junction. This is one most beautiful sight and experience that can't be captured on a picture, but always amazes me. You have been driving on the dark roads, drive on the left bend, and there suddenly, whooooaw, the whole Mysore lit like lamps, appear before you. As long as I was in Mysore, I have ridden my old Vespa scooter on the weekends to this place just to see this, and of course, those delicious Masala Vadas near the temple. Even today, I feel nothing beats this feeling. Of course the Dasara time is a little more special, as the Palace is lit and the city has new colors.

Back from the temple, had a good dinner at the same hotel, and back in the room, we realized, nothing has been fixed!!! Got furious, called the reception, and found out, Manager has left for the day, no other room is available and short of house keeping guys. With a little tall voice, the bed got fixed, by 11:30. We had to retire for the day, to continue the fight next day morning about where to go.

Sunday, again we had a bad experience in the hotel resturaunt, the waiter gave us the glasses from other table, when I asked for water ***.. disgusting..I had heard, Kings' kourt is a sorta luxury hotel.. and so much for the reputation! We gave a mouthful to the managers there and We decided to check out and decided to drive towards, Gundlupet, as the shortlisted destinations were
Vynad drive till afternoon and return, Bandipur/ Himavad Gopalaswamy betta, or Ooty. got the tank full for the drive ahead.

PS2: I do not recommend Kings' Kourt to anyone travelling to Mysore, this is a place to avoid. for the above mentioned experience.

Having narrowed down on the options and sure of the direction, I found myself speeding quite a bit towards Gundlupet. Sun flower and marygold fields were pleasure to the eyes. Weather was very good. In about 45 minutes I was at the junction still undecided about where to go. I was now at the junction...turn right to Vynad, keep driving for other destinations. After a short debate, we decided, we go to Himavad Gopalaswamy betta, as Vynad (Vythiri, to be precise) is no good without reservation, and ooty is too far , as it was already 12;00noon, and we had seen it a couple of times. So finally, I knew now where to go. OK, from now on the road is no great. Speed dropped a lot. After taking a right turn at a village called Hungala, we were chugging slowly toawards the green covered hills. Even before we realized, we were engulfed by the green of the mother nature.

By 1;00 we were at the top of the hill. What a beatiful place. I don't know how I missed this place for so long. I was in Mysore for nearly 4 years, and never went to this place.. I must be stupid then. Mist was breezing in and out playing with the sun, There were no big trees and scary jungle, Just knee length grass grown as if its a big lawn. We decided to treck a little bit to the other side of the hill, and started walking we saw a lot of Elephant droppings as we trecked.

Soon we realized , we had skipped lunch and started feeling exhausted. about 2 kms treck, we returned. and found no food available on the hill. We decided to drive down to Bandipur for lunch.

PS3: If you plan to visit this place, you are welcome. It IS a beatiful place, and it is YOUR resposibility to keep this beauty intact. Since there is no food available, take care to carry food when you go here. BUT, please take care you do not leave behind any plastic and garbage on this beautiful place. Bring back all the plastic/garbage you carried, for whatever reason, and if poossible the one others idiots left behind. Please treat this as a charity. Please be informed, that there is a standing instruction curse from me on those who litter this place. Though not my wishes, my curses come true.

We had a very good lunch at the Jungle lodges resort Pug mark resturant. Content with stomachful headed back to Bangalore.
On the way, while I was overtaking a minivan, some idiot threw a bottle(?) out of the window, which fell just in front of my car's left wheels. I heards the bottle crashing twice, didn't dare to break as I was doing 120kmph. Fortunately, tyre didn't go flat!, Checked again in Mysore when we stopped for a shopping break, no damage found.

At about 7, we left Mysore with a lighter wallet reached Bangalore little earlier than 10 after the usual cofee break..

Sorry, Could not find success in uploading the photos, Will try it next time

Last edited by DRC : 10th July 2006 at 23:51.
Old 10th July 2006, 23:55   #2
BHPian

wow seems to me had a gala time....
do upload pics as well
cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 11th July 2006, 00:25   #3
DRC
BHPian

And finally the fotooos...

The Temple...

My experiments with the camera...

Mary gold....

me with my ride...sorry, could not mask the license plate..

More pics will follow
Old 11th July 2006, 02:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
, "DRIVE TO MYSORE, THERE WE DECIDE" and this 100kg genie of my wife just obeyed.
I hope your wife is not reading this DRC, otherwise you are in major trouble.
Old 11th July 2006, 12:08   #5
BHPian

i just wish that this place does not become too crowded and it's natural beauty is protected....i went there recently and already saw some littering...
...nevertheless it's an awesome place to go for a weekend trip...camp near by Bandipur and make it to this place on the way back....
Old 11th July 2006, 19:28   #6
DRC
BHPian

Petra Sir!,
Thats' my ride
Old 12th July 2006, 00:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

DRC,

Great spirit, saar! Nice to see someone passionate abt his environment "there is a standing instruction curse from me on those who litter this place". We need more people to think like you! And nijvaaglu, great travelogue as well!
Old 12th July 2006, 01:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Please be informed, that there is a standing instruction curse from me on those who litter this place.
Too Good DRC. Liked the way u've said that.

And abt "Bring back all the plastic/garbage you carried, for whatever reason, and if poossible the one others idiots left behind.".....i know how much u mean that with that extra "O" in your "POOSSIBLE"

RedChilly
Old 12th July 2006, 15:56   #9
DRC
BHPian

Thanks for the kind responses and support to my views about nature.
I would be delighted if they are practiced too.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:57   #10
BHPian

Hey DRC.. Last year I spent a couple of nights at the Jungle Lodges Bandipur camp.. On the way back, saw the turn-off to HGB and took it.. Its an awesome place.. Engulfed by mist most of the time.. The temple is great too..
Old 12th July 2006, 17:26   #11
DRC
BHPian

They say you can spot elephants from top of the hill who are gazing at tthe bottom. I didn't know about it when I went there. But I saw their droppings at quite a few places .

Has anyone spotted them when you were there?
Old 31st July 2009, 02:07   #12
BHPian

PS3: If you plan to visit this place, you are welcome. It IS a beatiful place, and it is YOUR resposibility to keep this beauty intact. Since there is no food available, take care to carry food when you go here. BUT, please take care you do not leave behind any plastic and garbage on this beautiful place. Bring back all the plastic/garbage you carried, for whatever reason, and if poossible the one others idiots left behind.

Hi,
Nice to read that,I can state personally what angers one when you come across elephant dung with plastic covers and litter all over the place. Broken liqour bottles and tetra packs too. If you do visit this place please do take some care not to litter.
Above all the hills and mountains are water sources for the people who live in the plains.
Nice write up mate.
Cheers
Jammy
Old 31st July 2009, 15:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
and if poossible the one others idiots left behind.
well said mate. Nice trip too.
Quote:
If you do visit this place please do take some care not to litter. Above all the hills and mountains are water sources for the people who live in the plains.
well, i learnt a very important lesson from jammy one day. We returning from the Solagiri OTR & Camping trip last year. Jammy was driving my jeep and some where in the jungle, he spotted a broken plastic mudguard of a bike. He stopped the vehicle, picked it up, put it in my jeep and drove back to the city. Disposed it off here.

From then on, i make sure not to litter the roads either. we have a habit of throwing plastic bottles, food packets etc on the road side. I request not to do that and discourage others not to litter the highways.

Regards,
krishna.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
We decided to treck a little bit to the other side of the hill, and started walking we saw a lot of Elephant droppings as we trecked.
We could spot elephants there when we visited on the 20th of June. Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Finally we decided, ....Himagiri Gopalaswamy Betta..-029-elephant-parade-himawath-betta.jpg  

Old 21st August 2009, 19:39   #15
BHPian

Hi,

Nicely written. I liked the 100 Kg genie bit which you used to describe yourself.
Could you please post some more pics.

Most Viewed