Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 01:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Living in Germany

Continuing from previous post.

It is well past noon and we feel hungry, time for some food packed from home (as we are vegetarians our food options are limited to McDonald's, Pizza Hut or Sub-Way).

Living in Germany-lunch.jpg

Post lunch daughter takes some time out at one of the play areas while we enjoy the beautiful European architecture and views around:

Living in Germany-pay-area-1.jpg

Living in Germany-play-area-2.jpg

Living in Germany-architure-1.jpg

Living in Germany-architure-2.jpg

Living in Germany-architure-3.jpg

Living in Germany-cruise-.jpg

Living in Germany-cruise-1.jpg

Living in Germany-cruise-2.jpg

Living in Germany-cargo-ship.jpg

Koblenz also hosts Germany's biggest aerial tramway (Cable Car). It is worth taking the Cable Car ride over the other side to reach Fortress Ehrenbreitstein.

Living in Germany-cable-car-2.jpg

Living in Germany-cable-car-1.jpg

Living in Germany-cable-car-3.jpg

Living in Germany-cable-car-4.jpg

Living in Germany-cable-car-5.jpg

Living in Germany-cable-car-6.jpg

Living in Germany-cable-car-7.jpg

The fortress (we did not explore the inside area of the fortress).

Living in Germany-castle-3.jpg

Living in Germany-castle-2.jpg

Living in Germany-castle-1.jpg

Living in Germany-castle-4.jpg

But in general the way these people preserve place of historical interest is simply amazing.

The view of the Deutsches Eck, Koblenz city and river from the fortress is breathtaking:

Living in Germany-city-1.jpg

Living in Germany-city-2.jpg

Living in Germany-city-3.jpg

Living in Germany-city-4.jpg

Living in Germany-city-5.jpg

Living in Germany-city-6.jpg

Living in Germany-city-7.jpg

Living in Germany-city-8.jpg

Living in Germany-city-9.jpg

It was getting quite chilly in the evening and we returned home by late evening. Over the next posts I will present pictures of Heidelberg and Frankfurt Zoo.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 9th July 2014 at 01:18.
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 01:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

With the Football World Cup, public viewing of German matches are organised in most of the cities.

In Mainz and Frankfurt they put-up a huge screen and people can book seats there for 4 - 5 Euros.

In Wiesbaden, public viewing of the football matches is held at Kurpark and it can accommodate 5000 people. We went to Germany v/s France (quarter final match) and the if was simply amazing experience.

Living in Germany-img_20140704_192503.jpg

Living in Germany-img_20140704_195519.jpg

The atmosphere was totally electrifying and the security was equally tight. I should also mention that despite almost 5000 people present at the venue there was no rush to get in or get out and decency was well maintained.

I was scheduled to see the public viewing of today's semi-final (Germany V/s Brazil) match at the above venue, but due to bad whether (continuous rain since morning) I could not go.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 9th July 2014 at 01:51.
Jignesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 10:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Jignesh

Superb write up with equally compelling pics.
Truly mesmerizing location and wish my 2 year son grows up and studies here in Germany!!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 13:56   #19
BHPian

I was in Wiesbaden during mid-May to mid-June this year. It indeed is a wonderful place. Only issue we faced was food since we were staying in Penta Hotel and it did not offer facilities to heat food. Pictures are in my facebook profile
https://www.facebook.com/rakeshmiglani

I might have to travel again sometime later this year.
Abeer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 15:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Amazing Jignesh Bhai. Looking at all this, you get a feeling to move out of Mumbai and settle down in such a nice clean place. Thanks for the pics. Please keep it coming.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 15:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good to see you exploring and enjoying Germany along with your family! Thanks for sharing beautiful pictures!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 00:20   #22
BHPian

Jignesh
Just stumbled upon this thread.
Great pictures.A delight to see.
Am sure you would be missing the crowds.
Incidentally I remembered you a couple of weeks back and wondered where you were as there were no posts on FB.
All the best
Regards
PS: I am the one you guided to Shankar lane Kandivili
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 01:38   #23
BHPian

Thanks Jignesh,

Just reminded me of a 2 week stint that I had in Frankfurt a couple of years back.I did not have much time to go around as I had a completely packed schedule with just one weekend in between. I agree that the architecture and infrastructure both are great but definitely pretty cold temperatures something that is close to extremes specially for us.
Keep posting I will use this thread as a checklist next time Iam there , hopefully a little longer or with more free time .

cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 09:21   #24
BHPian

Awesome updates Jignesh !! The places are really well covered.

Looking forward for more :-)
dar3dev|l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 12:40   #25
BHPian

Hi Jignesh. Indeed a very well detailed and photographed travelogue. In one of your posts you mentioned that you and your family are vegetarians. Wiesbaden has an Iskcon temple where you and your family can visit and get the blessings of the lord and relish the vegetarian mahaprasadam.
I am sure you and your family would enjoy the experience.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 20:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Superb write up with equally compelling pics.
Truly mesmerizing location and wish my 2 year son grows up and studies here in Germany!!!
Hello Arnab,

Thank you.
My 7 year old daughter is learning a lot of new things here (public manners, adherance to rules, repect for every individual, etc). Should you need some information, feel free to send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I was in Wiesbaden during mid-May to mid-June this year. Pictures are in my facebook profile. I might have to travel again sometime later this year.
Feel free to add your photographs here. Let me know should you need some help during your next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Amazing Jignesh Bhai. Looking at all this, you get a feeling to move out of Mumbai and settle down in such a nice clean place. Thanks for the pics. Please keep it coming.
Thank you Desmosedici,

I really feel fortunate enough to live / work here. It is indeed a beautoful place. More pictures will follow in my upcoming posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Good to see you exploring and enjoying Germany along with your family! Thanks for sharing beautiful pictures!
Tannk you Maverick5490.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Just stumbled upon this thread.Am sure you would be missing the crowds.PS: I am the one you guided to Shankar lane Kandivili
Hello Sir,

Ofcourse, I remember you.

I am missing a lot of things here but most of which I can live without. But most important the traffic sense here is really great. Also with family here, weekends come and go quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Keep posting I will use this thread as a checklist next time Iam there , hopefully a little longer or with more free time
Hello Pdma,

I am going to post pictures of some more beautiful places and confuse you little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
Awesome updates Jignesh !! Looking forward for more :-)
Thank you Dar3dev|l,

Pictures of place like Trier, Heidelberg, Salzburg, Paris etc will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Hi Jignesh. Indeed a very well detailed and photographed travelogue. Wiesbaden Iskcon temple vegetarian mahaprasadam.
Thank you behaln.

I am aware of Wiesbaden ISKON Temple and there is a feast once every month. But it is located out of the city and public transport conectivity is not good. But I recently came to know of Ganesh Temple in Frankfurt and I will visit there soon.

Regards,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 10:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Jignesh

Many thanks for the same. Will certainly PM you for your guidance at the opportune time.
Old 14th July 2014, 04:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

It is well past mid-night here and I cannot sleep. Reason: Germany wins Football World Cup 2014 - People are out on streets - Screaming, Partying (going crazy), Cars honking around, Fireworks everywhere. The mood is absolutely ecstatic here.

Just a few hours back we were at Wiesbaden Kurpark experiencing live public viewing event. There were almost 10,000 people in a open ground and everyone was cheering every move of the players:

Living in Germany-img_20140713_205711.jpg

Living in Germany-img_20140713_210129.jpg

Now with Germany winning , almost everyone in the city is out partying. Probably none of the locals are going to turn up to office tomorrow.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 14th July 2014 at 04:19.
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 01:40   #29
BHPian

Hi Jignesh,

I don't know how I missed this thread, esp. since it's got a very nice picture of me in the first post itself !

It's great to see you writing about the way of life in Germany, and I can relate to it in so many ways ( we're pretty much neighbors after all ). Similar to Germany we had a football crazy season here in Netherlands as well, though it fizzled out after the Semi Final loss to Argentina. Before that though, we had public screenings, crazy crowds and Different shades of Orange - All the way from work to home.

I esp. loved the pictures of Koblenz. I wanted to visit that place too once but haven't been able to yet. Trying to convince my friends here to plan a trip down there in the next couple of weeks. Remember the road you were telling me about when we met, the one that continues all the way along the Rhine ? I'm trying to plan something which includes that road as well.

How's the weather in Weisbaden around this time ? Here in Amsterdam it's really Crazy. One minute it's scorching sun and the next minute it starts drizzling.

Anyways, I was thinking it's been a long time since the last Europe Mini Meet. Let me know if you have any plans around the time arunshenk is planning his trip. We can have some sort of a meetup around that time. Also I see couple more BHPians around Stuttgart. If people are enthusiastic, we can plan a proper Team BHP meet in Deutschland as well.

In any case, i'll give you a buzz in case i'm planning a trip around Frankfurt, I can always stop by to say Hi, and eat some of Bhabhi's delicious home cooked dishes

Regards,
SuperBee
SuperBee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 18:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Continuing with the thread, one chilly morning during first week of April, we went to Heidelberg.

Heidelberg, houses Germany's oldest university and during World War II, the city was almost saved from bombings which destroyed many of Germany cities. This means most of the old town of Heidelberg still nears the charm of narrow streets & picturesque houses.

Heidelberg is well connected by trains and bus Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Mannheim and Frankfurt. There is a tourist center outside the central station and all the information for days tickets are available there. Most of the staff there speak good English. The main places of interest in Heidelberg are the Altstadt (historical city centre) / Hauptstraße (main street) and The Castle.

Let me present some pictures of this beautiful place:

Living in Germany-1.jpg

Living in Germany-2.jpg

Living in Germany-3.jpg

Living in Germany-4.jpg

Living in Germany-5.jpg

Living in Germany-6.jpg

Living in Germany-7.jpg

Living in Germany-8.jpg

Living in Germany-9.jpg

Living in Germany-10.jpg

Living in Germany-11.jpg

Living in Germany-12.jpg

Living in Germany-13.jpg

Living in Germany-14.jpg

Living in Germany-15.jpg

Living in Germany-16.jpg

Living in Germany-17.jpg

Living in Germany-18.jpg

Living in Germany-19.jpg

Living in Germany-20.jpg

Living in Germany-21.jpg

Living in Germany-22.jpg

Living in Germany-23.jpg

Living in Germany-24.jpg

Living in Germany-25.jpg

Living in Germany-26.jpg

Living in Germany-27.jpg

Living in Germany-28.jpg

Living in Germany-29.jpg

Living in Germany-30.jpg

Reached 30 pictures per post limit. Will post some more pictures in next post.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed