Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Himachal Drive: Shoja, Parvati Valley, Parashar Lake, Jhanjheli & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Thanks for posting this. Love that part of HP. Had driven up to the Barsheni last year, but never did the trek.

Is this on the way to FRH at Jhibhi? That should be an awesome location. Wanted to stay at the FRH someday, but it requires permission from I think Mandi. Rs. 660 is a sweet deal. Should explore it soon.

Are there any camping restrictions there, or you just camp anywhere you please?
I am not sure about the FRH, as don't remember having come across one. And there should be no restriction on camping. Didn't specifically ask but am sure there's no such rule preventing you from camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
This took me back nearly 10 years. Sometime in 2004 I had gone to Gushaini with a friend in my 1.3 Ford Ikon nxt. A colleague from office who had recommended the place in Gushaini also mentioned that there is a very nice place which is few hours from Gushaini. So me and my friend, who were absolutely clueless about typical hill drive and having forgotten the name of the place asked around from the homestay chap at Gushaini about the 'nice place' nearby which was at a height. So came up 'Jalori Pass'. After we had a good breakfast, off went to enthusiastic Delhi lads to 'Jalori Pass'. If my memory serves me right, we approached this from Aut side. Boy the climb was steep and I had to push the car in 1st gear praying all along that we don't stall or I don't get someone coming from the top. The road or rather the path (which was then) was not tarred. Anyhow, we reached the Pass. The view was stunning. We looked at the other side, for some strange reason it had tarred road on the other side of the Pass. We spent few days at Gushaini and went back to Delhi. When I caught up with the colleague who had recommended Gushaini, I asked him why did he recommend such a steep inclined drive up to Jalori Pass - you know what the guy said - it wasn't Jalori Pass he had mentioned! And, I don't recall what he mentioned. This was one of its kind of drive. As I look back - I was scared when we were going up - but the view from the Pass was worth it.
Trust me, Jalori Pass at night with snow fall and with your tyres not really providing the kind of grip on snow and slush that you would wish for, was no less scary this time around as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Wow, i feel nostalgic. Last year end me and my friends did a similar trip. Mumbai - Delhi - Jim corbett - Delhi - Kasol - Barshaini - Chandigarg - Mumbai. Our base stay was Kasol while doing the Himachal trip, i absolutely loved that place. At that time, i think we 3 friends were the only Indian tourist around and rest all were Israilis. We took a car and went till Barshaini, from there we started our trek towards Kheerganga, but we were not prepared well for the cold. Just a simple sweater on us didnt help, and it started raining too. Last moment we dropped it and went only half way. I really wish we could push ourselves and do kheerganga. Loved your pics.
Thanks Dieselritzer.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 11:47   #17
BHPian

Hi Nvldvr,

Himachal is always in reach for we Delhiwallas.

Last year we did Delhi- Manali-Simla in a tempo traveler as we were 3 families & wished to travel together in one vehicle.

The Drive along the Beas river with frequent stops were best part of our Journey

We found the Journey to be more beautiful than the Final destination as Manali and Simla were pecking with tourist all around.

Good to know so many other places in Himachal and would love visiting them.
Old 24th April 2014, 12:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I am not sure about the FRH, as don't remember having come across one. And there should be no restriction on camping. Didn't specifically ask but am sure there's no such rule preventing you from camping.

Trust me, Jalori Pass at night with snow fall and with your tyres not really providing the kind of grip on snow and slush that you would wish for, was no less scary this time around as well.

Thanks Dieselritzer.
I remember we did Jalori pass last year in June and boy what a ride it was. We were in a 2010 Honda city so power was not an issue. As the road is mostly stone road the biggest scare was scraping the bottom. I remember we were in first gear for most of the climb in-fact for most of the decent too we were either in first or second gear trying to use gears for breaking. But what a rush.
Old 24th April 2014, 17:15   #19
BHPian

Wow! Another beautiful travelogue.
Team-bhp has really becoming an amazing website. These travelogues and the photos are so nice they could be on a dedicated travel website.
Great work nvldvr
Old 24th April 2014, 17:41   #20
BHPian

Wonderful pics! A vacation well utilised.

I wanted to take the Jalori route while traveling from Manali to Shimla last month. Unfortunately, it was closed at that point. :(

How much trekking is required for Parashar Lake? i.e. from the point where roads end. Moreover, are the roads to the lake (or nearest point) suitable for taking a hatchback or sedan?
Old 24th April 2014, 19:20   #21
BHPian

Real nice writeup buddy, brings back a lot of memories of my rides/drives through the mountains. In fact the very first photo, V Resorts, belongs to a very good friend of mine, the brother from another mother kind. I have a lot of fond memories of the place.
Old 24th April 2014, 20:41   #22
BHPian

Can a sedan make it there? Maybe it can !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
That's one nice travelogue there nvldvr..................................man will at the last, forgetting all else, return to the hills to die"

Waiting for more.

Cheers !

(PS:on a different note - how were the road conditions, especially in the remote interiors? Can a low GC, soft suspension sedan like the Manza do this circuit?)
Quote:
Yes Ironhide, once the smell of Himalayas creeps into the blood of a man, he sure will return to the hills to die. I grew up in the hills, and have spent most of my adult life outside either studying or working. But sure as hell, i will return to the hills.

The road condition is just about OK at most places. The exceptions being the stretch from Manikaran to Gurshaini, the area sorrounding Jalori Pass and the road from Jhanjheli to Chattri. Manza may do the job in these sections, but will warrant caution and restrained driving.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyR1der View Post
I remember we did Jalori pass last year in June and boy what a ride it was. We were in a 2010 Honda city so power was not an issue. As the road is mostly stone road the biggest scare was scraping the bottom. I remember we were in first gear for most of the climb in-fact for most of the decent too we were either in first or second gear trying to use gears for breaking. But what a rush.

So did the car scrape EasyR1der? How many people on board? Any damage to the underbody? Though from the conversation above my doubts about the ability of a low GC, soft suspension car making it up to there and back have more or less been assuaged . Still, it doesn't hurt to be prepared

Cheers !
Old 25th April 2014, 10:38   #23
BHPian

Re: Can a sedan make it there? Maybe it can !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
So did the car scrape EasyR1der? How many people on board? Any damage to the underbody? Though from the conversation above my doubts about the ability of a low GC, soft suspension car making it up to there and back have more or less been assuaged . Still, it doesn't hurt to be prepared

Cheers !
Ironhide thanks to the 2 pairs of coil spring adjusters from Darryl the car never scrapped even though it was fully laden 4 adults one kid and luggage . I was driving extra cautiously as i was afraid of stalling or scraping but it was all good.
Also it did shatter my time concept as we had started from parwano in the morning and made it to jibhi after crossing Jalori only by around 8.30 @ night. The drive was very slow due to bad road. But the drive and the experience was worth every bit. We stayed at a lovely place called doli cottages and drove back via mandi.
Old 25th April 2014, 13:25   #24
BHPian

This is a very nice and crisp travellogue with really beautiful pictures. These places are now on my list. Maybe towards the later half of the year. Loved pictures of the rivulet at Shoga.

By the way, how did you find out about these remote places? I am right now trying to track the route that you may have taken, but cannot come up with anything beyond Shoga (Ghiyagi). Is it possible to upload a map with the places marked on it?

Last edited by souravdebiswas : 25th April 2014 at 13:39.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:15   #25
BHPian

Being from Shimla myself, I had heard of Shoja being a little Israeli hamlet for quite some time. The real icing on the cake here seems to be the pristine surroundings and helpful locals who go out of the way to help tourists in need.
Dev Bhoomi Himachal as they say never fails to wow.
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The next destination was Parashar Lake...
I was looking for information on Parashar Lake when happened to chance upon this thread.
Not just this lake, but all your destinations look beautiful ... nice pics!
The itinerary too looks very enticing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks