Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park

First time i visited Ranthambhore in June 2012 for six rounds and returned with a dejected mood and decided not to visit this park again. Therefore, i regularly travel to my favourite Bandhavgarh and Tadoba.

This season started with a bad note with low sighting at Bandhavgarh during November 2013 followed by Kanha in February. So, i was going to Ranthambhore with low expectation. Boarded the Golden temple at 9.30 p.m. from Mumbai Central on March 27, 2014 and Shiva, my friend boarded the same train from Borivali. We were being allotted the worst berth near the gate in II AC compartment. After a small chat we retired for the day.

March 28, 2014:

Reached Sawai Madhopur on time. Shiva's friend Ansar was waiting with the gypsy and a driver. We headed for our base i.e., Raj Palace hotel. Ansar updated us with the sighting of morning drive of a leopard and two tigers. We were really excited to board the gypsy.

Finally, we had our lunch and boarded our gypsy for the first afternoon drive. We got route no.2 and the first encounter was T-24. We spent entire afternoon with him without getting a single good photograph, as he did not wake up from his deep slumber. He was sleeping near the water but did not come for a drink. Finally, we had to leave him due to time constraint.

March 29, 2014 – Morning Safari – Second round Safari

At Ranthambhore gate opens little late around 6.30 a.m., so one can comfortably sleep till 5.00 a.m. and board the gypsy at 6.00 a.m.

Before entering the park, we saw a huge male leopard moving on the ridges. On the way to the entry point, we realised a rotten kill but we did not wait to check. After the formality we were about to enter but Shiva said that why other three gypsies are not coming, who were with us during the leopard sighting. We were contemplating whether to go back and check or not. But finally decided to go back.

When we reached the place, to our utter surprise, something around 15 gypsies were there and watching T-24 on a sambhar deer kill. Basically, the leopard we saw had lost that kill to T-24. This guy (T-24) was sitting just next to the main road but we missed.

With slightly presence of mind, we decided to park the gypsy around the small water body. It is natural that tiger will come for a drink water after eating the kill. Our prediction came exactly right. For the first time we spend couple of hours with T-24 and for the first time we got some excellent photography opportunity without entering the park. Entire safari we spent outside the park.

Here are the pictures.

Picture of T-24

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-_t4a1759.jpg

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-_t4a2414.jpg

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-bf_t4a2547-copy.jpg

T-24's Son Sultan

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-_t4a2508.jpg

Semiadult of T-21

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-_t4a2530.jpg

Semi-adult cub of t-19 who is famous with small cubs now

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-_t4a2901.jpg

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-_t4a2992.jpg

Last edited by Subrat Seet : 9th May 2014 at 12:36.
Subrat Seet is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 16:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 17th May 2014, 13:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant photos Subrat! Thanks for sharing
Old 1st June 2014, 17:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Brilliant photos Subrat! Thanks for sharing
Thank you Nilanjan Sir. Extremely sorry for not updating the travelogue as i am on a three weeks vacations to Bandhavgarh, Gorumara and Ranthambhore.
Old 1st June 2014, 22:01   #5
BHPian

Amazing pictures. I'm waiting to read more of your travelogue. Looking at the clarity of the pictures, I would assume that you used a decent camera with a tele lens. Could you please share with us what your equipment was?
Old 1st June 2014, 23:27   #6
BHPian

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park

Stunning Visuals! Thank you so much for sharing Subrat. Been a pretty long time since I had got a proper glimpse of our Indian tigers. Your pics have filled in my grief quite a bit. Waiting for more updates.

Cheers!
Old 6th June 2014, 12:05   #7
BHPian

Amazing pictures as always. I was just scrolling through the travelogues section and the moment I saw 'Subrat Seet', stopped right there, how can I miss a t-log from you .

Please let in few more pictures when you are back.
Old 10th June 2014, 11:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Amazing pictures. I'm waiting to read more of your travelogue. Looking at the clarity of the pictures, I would assume that you used a decent camera with a tele lens. Could you please share with us what your equipment was?
Thank you so much. i am using Canon's 5D MK III body and lens 300 F/2.8 L IS II USM. Extremely sorry as i was on a three weeks wildlife tour to Bandhavgarh, Gorumara National Park and Ranthambhore. So, couldnot update the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Stunning Visuals! Thank you so much for sharing Subrat. Been a pretty long time since I had got a proper glimpse of our Indian tigers. Your pics have filled in my grief quite a bit. Waiting for more updates.

Cheers!
Thank you su much for your appreciations. Please do visit a tiger reserve to satisfy your desire. Watching a tiger live has its own thrill. I am happy that you liked those pictures. I will update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
Amazing pictures as always. I was just scrolling through the travelogues section and the moment I saw 'Subrat Seet', stopped right there, how can I miss a t-log from you .

Please let in few more pictures when you are back.
Hey dear, that you so much. i am honoured. I just back on Sunday with loads of pictures from Bandhavgarh and Ranthambhore. Will process them soon and upload.

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-_t4a2884.jpg
Subrat Seet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:51   #9
BHPian

Been to the Zoo two days back, i couldn't hold back after looking at your thread!. However had to avoid the safari due to the Hot sun. Snapped two white tigers, apologies for the quality. Had forgotten my iphone at home and hence had to click with HTC

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-imag0181.jpg

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-imag0180.jpg

No comparison in the quality of images. Hope you dont mind such low quality pic on your thread

Last edited by Amarendranath : 10th June 2014 at 15:52.
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:47   #10
BHPian

Some of the pictures from June 2014 visit.

T-24 - One of the dominant male tiger

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-dpp07de061b132f14.jpg

Oriental Honey Buzzard

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-dpp07de061d132131.jpg

Crested Bunting (Male)

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-dpp07de061d160904.jpg

Painted Spurfowl

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-dpp07de061d170036.jpg

T-39 (noor) - Tigress

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-t39_noor.jpg

Again T-24

Tigers of the Ranthambore National Park-t24dpp07de061d0d0714.jpg