Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 11:15   #16
BHPian

Re: London to Jammu: With a Range Rover

What a drive, what an adventure and what a travelogue this is going to be. Completely hooked.

I presume your ride was a British Registered vehicle, in which case you might have had maximum problems in the Carnet process, not in any other country, but in India !! Also looking forward to whether the China crossing, which is unbelievably expensive for Indian vehicles, was the same for you too.

Of course, glued to the thread and will make much noise if updates aren't posted daily
Old 6th April 2015, 12:00   #17
BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP Pathania, I didn't know were here too!
I've been following most of your trip on your website, now good to find the much required details here too!
Old 6th April 2015, 12:14   #18
BHPian

It's hard to even imagine, That's a wonderful stuff. Please share more on the challenges you faced during this adventure. Any unforeseen issues with Rover?
Old 6th April 2015, 12:48   #19
BHPian

Hey, is that you, A.P.? Guessed from your photo ...
Old 6th April 2015, 13:37   #20
BHPian

Hey, that's amazing! I am hooked, let the remaining drive through!
Old 6th April 2015, 13:53   #21
BHPian

Superb journey there Sir! Would love to do a trip like this in a capable car. Welcome on board. Please continue your travelogue.
Old 6th April 2015, 14:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

An adventure you experienced while others (including me) could only dream about. Please do update the thread whenever you get the time. How reliable was Dhanno during your journey? And if I may, kitna deti hai??
Old 6th April 2015, 15:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to have discovered this thread. You tell the story wonderfully well --- and I guess it has hardly begun. Eagerly subscribing
Old 6th April 2015, 16:27   #24
BHPian

In one word, "awesome". And hats off to you guys. Staying glued for the updates.
Old 6th April 2015, 16:44   #25
BHPian

kudos to you both .it's one of the most marvelous adventures that anyone can have. Feels like sailing the forbidden sea. As someone has rightly said “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” Amazing detailing. Awaiting more
Old 6th April 2015, 16:57   #26
BHPian

Nice trip guys. That was amazing and so how many miles did your Range Rover clock ?
Old 6th April 2015, 17:07   #27
BHPian

Kudos to you guys!!! It definitely is a journey of a lifetime and having your life partner with you on the journey who shares the same passion takes the experience to a different level. I also visited your website www.humdono.us and I thinks it's very nicely done.

I would like to make one suggestion though. While reading through the story, I could figure out that some of the posts are written by your wife Arti. If you could mention who is writing the post at the beginning of each post will make the reading experience a little smoother. I actually liked the idea that both the participants present their part of the story in the same travelogue. It has actually made it even more interesting to read.
Old 6th April 2015, 20:21   #28
BHPian

Woahh!! What an adventure. Just within today, I came across two such travels. One this and another one which started today from Bangalore to Paris. A family of four including 2 kids on a Linea . People have really started to move I must say and I should not miss the bus. Let me think it over huh?

Coming back to this one. It takes courage to even think about it leave alone doing it. Hats off to you guys! Am hooked and glued and whatever all it takes. Bring it on!!

PS: Not sure if anyone else pointed it out, your winch seems to be mounted a lot lower than its supposed to be, seriously compromising on your angle of attack. It will damage the bumper in case it takes a hit.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 6th April 2015 at 20:22.
Old 7th April 2015, 03:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Now this is what I call an adventure of Epic Proportions. Bring it on!!
Thanks Octane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Amazing Trip or should I call it adventure

Photos of toll booth, roads, Border crossing, check post would be fantastic if you could post it.
Thanks Chandrda. We did not click many photo on the border as at many places it is restricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
Hats off guys. You have just lived my dream brilliant
Thanks Locomotive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
What a drive, what an adventure and what a travelogue this is going to be. Completely hooked.

I presume your ride was a British Registered vehicle, in which case you might have had maximum problems in the Carnet process, not in any other country, but in India !! Also looking forward to whether the China crossing, which is unbelievably expensive for Indian vehicles, was the same for you too.
Thanks Secretariat. Actually getting the Carnet was a breeze and Indian authorities were very helpful as well. However, as you guessed it was indeed unbelievably expensive for UK vehicles as well and more over China/Tibet border was closed so we had to avoid China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP Pathania, I didn't know were here too!
I've been following most of your trip on your website, now good to find the much required details here too!
Oye hoye .. Sethi Saab! Thank you for the support. I actually started the post on Team-Bhp last year around same time but admin wanted me to complete the trip, post some content and then go live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISTONS View Post
It's hard to even imagine, That's a wonderful stuff. Please share more on the challenges you faced during this adventure. Any unforeseen issues with Rover?
Thanks Pistons. Yes, there were quite some amazing experiences and i will be sharing them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitgovil2311 View Post
Hey, is that you, A.P.? Guessed from your photo ...
Sumit mere Bhai .. Kaisa hai! Good to find you here! Yes it is me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Hey, that's amazing! I am hooked, let the remaining drive through!
Thanks Lone Rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Superb journey there Sir! Would love to do a trip like this in a capable car. Welcome on board. Please continue your travelogue.
Thank you Petrol Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
An adventure you experienced while others (including me) could only dream about. Please do update the thread whenever you get the time. How reliable was Dhanno during your journey? And if I may, kitna deti hai??
Thanks S2. I will be updating thread a soon as i could. Dhanno actually liked up to her name and we cannot imagine having done this trip in any other vehicle. She was returning around 22-23 miles per gallon before the trip, however after i got her transmission serviced and owning to additional .5-.8 tonnes it was only returning 15-16 miles per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Glad to have discovered this thread. You tell the story wonderfully well --- and I guess it has hardly begun. Eagerly subscribing
Thanks Thad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
In one word, "awesome". And hats off to you guys. Staying glued for the updates.
Thanks Sid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Romeo View Post
kudos to you both .it's one of the most marvelous adventures that anyone can have. Feels like sailing the forbidden sea. As someone has rightly said “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” Amazing detailing. Awaiting more
Thanks Alfa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Nice trip guys. That was amazing and so how many miles did your Range Rover clock ?
Thanks Spoth001. We clocked 20,000+ Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Kudos to you guys!!! It definitely is a journey of a lifetime and having your life partner with you on the journey who shares the same passion takes the experience to a different level. I also visited your website www.humdono.us and I thinks it's very nicely done.
Thanks Psurelia. That is a good suggestion actually, i will keep that in mind for the future posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Woahh!! What an adventure. Just within today, I came across two such travels. One this and another one which started today from Bangalore to Paris.
Thanks Vinay. You are quite right and this was a matter of concern once we collected the car but it was too late to do the alterations and it did haunt us, as you will know in the future updated.
cooldudesunny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 06:09   #30
BHPian

Day 8: Switzerland (Contd…) (Jungfrau – Top of Europe)

When we woke up in the morning, we were really excited and glad as it was a bright sunny day (looking at the weather a day before and weather forecast suggesting that the sun will be on leave), we indeed were feeling lucky.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0018.jpg
[In front of hotel entrance]

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0022.jpg
[No .. That's not a Monkey! That's Aarti for Christ's sake :-p]

Plan was to go check out Jungfrau, so we left for the train station. We parked Dhanno in the parking lot, and in an effort to receive a phone call while trying to get stuff out of Dhanno i dropped my phone and cracked the screen :-/

If that was not enough, 2 tickets for a return journey cost us Euro 250+, man were they expensive.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140912_165937.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140913_110226.jpg

We tried exploring the idea to drive up there but i guess there are no roads! Train had nice clean glass windows giving maximum view of the outside and with the weather being absolutely clear, the views were breathtaking.

The train had an interesting mechanism to pull the coached to such great heights, and if i am not wrong Indian government did seek guidance from Swiss authorities before starting the train to Srinagar.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0033.jpg
[Grindelwald Station]

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0038.jpg
[Notice the straight metal gear in between the tracks]

Once we reached the top, all we wanted to do was click, click and click. It was just beautiful.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-20140913_132054.jpg

The tourist center at the top had many spots setup to enjoy your experience at Jungfrau.

1. Ice Museum

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-20140913_134050e1425231994551.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-20140913_134027e1425232075147.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-20140913_133432.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-20140913_133529e1425232105763.jpg
[Yup .. That's the squirrel from the Ice Age series]

2. Outpost

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0051.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0055.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0103.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0106.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0129.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0141.jpg

3. Play/Slide Area
There was play area setup down below, where families were having a good time with their kids.

I had purchased a telephoto lens before leaving for the trip and this was a great spot to check it out. It indeed turned out to be a good buy.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0062.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0086.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-20150301_131500_resized.jpg

After enjoying the views, we started looking for a spot to eat. Food cannot be delayed because based on my experience of more than 2 years, one among us (not me :-D) can get “HANGRY” (Hungry + Angry) and trust me this situation is a strict no no. There was surprisingly an Indian Restaurant available as well. I decided to have my lunch there, while Aarti went to a different cafe and brought herself something else. Indian food while being costly (“Expensive” is Switzerland’s middle name) was decent, i enjoyed my share. Then we grabbed a cup of masala chai and boarded train back to Dhanno.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140913_150444.jpg

The sky was still and we started our journey towards Italy. As the road unfolded, we were soon on Wassen drive. It was hardly half an hour into appreciating how beautiful the drive was when it started to get foggy. The road was narrow and there were lot of bike riders out on a jolly ride.

Carefully we drove through the mountain passes and reached Lake Como. It was already late but we still had to drive till our destination i.e. Cinque-terre.

We had booked a home for few days at:
Corte Paganini
Via Caste 41
Caste
Ricco Del Golfo Do Spezia
IT – 19020

We had a little trouble finding the address, but the host was very kind and came to guide us back to the house.
cooldudesunny is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks