Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 15:39   #31
BHPian

Re: London to Jammu: With a Range Rover

Hi

What a Drive !

Can't wait for you to enter Asia and most importantly bordering Countries.
Never had a chance to get some insight into roads & cars in neighboring Countries.
Your trip may bring out the same.
Old 7th April 2015, 18:34   #32
BHPian

Seriously, man..!! I wish I was in your boots. This is the kinda story you would tell your children and grandchildren. 'Kids, this is about the time, your Mom and I took the best Journey of our lives'. And it would be definitely better than "How I Met Your Mother" series (which is not a great yardstick in itself, I agree) by far. The road trip with memories to last for a lifetime and then some. Wow. I'm seriously envious of you. You have a Instagram account? I would love to follow your trip at least in a way my wife approves; digitally.

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you have beautiful weather thru' out.
Cheers!!
Old 7th April 2015, 20:30   #33
BHPian

One word - Awesome

You both have given us the hope to try something which we think is impossible. Inspirational travelogue.Proud of you both at the same time jealous. lol. completely hooked.
Old 8th April 2015, 09:43   #34
BHPian

Thanks cooldudesunny for this beautiful log! After a long time an excellent travelogue has come up. Keep it coming.

BTW, the track that you saw in Jungfraujoch is rack and pinion railway. It is also there in the toy train of Ooty, India.
Old 8th April 2015, 10:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi

What a Drive !

Can't wait for you to enter Asia and most importantly bordering Countries.
Never had a chance to get some insight into roads & cars in neighboring Countries.
Your trip may bring out the same.
Thanks Wanderers. Sure thing, i will be updating the thread will all the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Seriously, man..!! I wish I was in your boots. This is the kinda story you would tell your children and grandchildren. 'Kids, this is about the time, your Mom and I took the best Journey of our lives'. Cheers!!
Thanks Doc. he he .. You are funny. We sure have made some stories. On Instagram look for humdono_us, thats us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdraj View Post
One word - Awesome

You both have given us the hope to try something which we think is impossible. Inspirational travelogue.Proud of you both at the same time jealous. lol. completely hooked.
Thank you for your kind words James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Thanks cooldudesunny for this beautiful log! After a long time an excellent travelogue has come up. Keep it coming.

BTW, the track that you saw in Jungfraujoch is rack and pinion railway. It is also there in the toy train of Ooty, India.
Thanks Shipnil for the kind words and info on the track tech, i was hoping there was a name for that type for sure.
cooldudesunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 11:34   #36
BHPian

Day 9: Italy (Cinque Terre)
[Written By Akhil]

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-cinqueterre1091x500.png

After a good night sleep, we woke up charged up as “Italian Riviera” was on the list for quite some time. Aarti had already started blabbering in Spanish which only she could understand :-p

We got ready, had our breakfast with whatever was available in the house. The moment we stepped out, we were welcomed by a nice, bright and warm sun. What else can you ask for eh!

Plan was to hop on a boat and check out all 5 coastal villages that constitute Cinque-Terre (The Five Lands) i.e.
  • Monterosso al Mare
  • Vernazza
  • Corniglia
  • Manarola
  • Riomaggiore
We hopped into Dhanno, the point from where you board a ship was not too far. Finding a spot to park your car be a hassle though. Luckily we point a place a little far from the actually location of the boarding point and then started walking towards it.

There was still some time for the boats to start so we decided to grab something in the meantime and click some pictures :-)

Thanks to us waking up late in the morning and then spending a good amount on clicking photographs, we were only left with 2 – 3 hours before we could catch the last boat to our starting point. There was an option of taking a train on the way back, and that’s what we did in the end.

When the gate opened, we bought two one way tickets and boarded the ferry. In about an half an hour or so, we were at the first stop i.e. Portovenere. This was not one of the villages but a stop for the ferries. There were so many tourists and places too crowded, so we just took a stroll, clicked few pictures and boarded the same ferry again for the next village.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0187.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0223.jpg
[Portovenere]

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0236.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0239.jpg
[Gothic Church of St. Peter]

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0051151.jpg

In another 15-20 minutes we were walking to get down at village Riomaggiore. The moment you get down the ferry, you have to walk through a narrow trail which is already occupied by people standing in queue to board the ferry. With the sun shining bright, and cool breeze blowing, at least I wasn’t complaining. We could see plenty of people getting sun baked, swimming i.e. having fun. We had no plans of doing either, after confirming from the visitor help-desk we decided to take a stroll in the village market and explore some shops. Although, i keep using the term “village”, these were more like small towns and less of villages.

With so many colourful shops on the either side of the streets and restaurants having their full menu displayed outside, we finally gave in to the temptation and took shelter under one restaurant which looked promising. We had our lunch and it was about time to board the next ferry to the next village.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0254e1425527525806.jpgLondon to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0257e1425527487478.jpg
[Hop-On Hop-Off ferry and people waiting in queue]

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0280e1425527449459.jpgLondon to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0287e1425527407808.jpg
[Village of Riomaggiore]

Next village i.e. Manarola, had almost the same feel. Thanks to some tall rocks next to the shore, we saw many people jumping into the water from those heights. Looked very tempting but again we dint come prepared for this and next time will see if we can spend a night or so, in order to enjoy the village the way those people were. There was a nice looking “Gelato” store, we grabbed one each, relished it, click few more pictures before it was time to board the ferry again.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0324e1425529131831.jpgLondon to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0303e1425527368302.jpg
[Village of Manarola]

We skipped getting down at Corniglia as it was already getting dark and we dint want to miss Vernazza. Vernazza was more popular as compared to other villages because of more picturesque location. We too captured few at the famous spot, no way were we going to miss that :-)

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0331.jpg
[Village of Vernazza]

It was getting darker, and train that we were supposed to catch for our return journey was from Vernazza. So we decided to skip Monterosso al Mare as well.

The train station was jam packed. We bought our tickets and started waiting for the train. Almost all the people on the station were tired, seemed like they had been hopping on and off the ferry whole day. Traversing through all these villages can be quite tiring actually but if you have a smart wife, you dont have to do all the villages and just visit the important ones .. ahem ahem .. no i am not trying to show off

After letting go quite a few overcrowded trains, we finally got into one and got down in La Spazia. Got into Dhanno, reached our hotel and called it a day :-)
cooldudesunny is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 12:18   #37
AVR
BHPian

This is definitely an amazing thread to follow! Looking forward to more updates!

Strangely, the choice of a Range Rover was perplexing (compared to a TLC or something) given they aren't known to be the most reliable vehicles around but worked out well in your case.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 8th April 2015, 18:26   #38
BHPian

Awesome! Amazing! Superb! Immediately Subscribed and rated 5 stars. I wish I could do something similar... Sigh!!!
Old 8th April 2015, 21:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
This is definitely an amazing thread to follow! Looking forward to more updates!

Strangely, the choice of a Range Rover was perplexing (compared to a TLC or something) given they aren't known to be the most reliable vehicles around but worked out well in your case.

Cheers,
Adi
Range Rover (2002-2006) came with a BMW engine which is bullet proof, 3.0L V6 Diesel suffered because of a bad transmission block. RR's has been as reliable as it gets with the exception of its air suspension (something you cannot live without). We were in a fix between RR & LC, problem is if you once drive a RR, it is very difficult for you to drive anything else! And thats exactly what happened with us, also Aarti was having slight back pain and only vehicle the doctor ordered was a RR :-D

Our "Dhanno" ran for thousand of miles without front suspension on non-existent roads, twice shutdown because of overheat as all of the coolant leaked out, had a broken water pump .. still the engine never seized. I have to still come across another vehicle who could do all that and the credit simply goes to the BMW heart that was beating within <respect>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Awesome! Amazing! Superb! Immediately Subscribed and rated 5 stars. I wish I could do something similar... Sigh!!!
Thanks Gtonsing. We never thought we could either until we planned and got on with it :-)
cooldudesunny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 22:37   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
also Aarti was having slight back pain and only vehicle the doctor ordered was a RR :-D
Can you get them on prescription in UK?

--- I bet you wish you could. I bet everybody does!

Hope it worked out well for your wife's back. When you are going to spend hours, days and weeks in a vehicle, I guess that both comfort and posture/health become hugely more important. Also, the vehicle must have been your home for all that time, which is another good reason for the decision being as personal as well as practical.
Old 9th April 2015, 01:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can you get them on prescription in UK?

--- I bet you wish you could. I bet everybody does!
he he .. I wish they did, and in that case all of my friends would have tried settling down in UK

And yes as you very rightly stated, for the duration of time we were going to spend in the vehicle, there were no two options really!
Old 9th April 2015, 13:22   #42
BHPian

Amazing trip!! Almost looks like a dream come true.

Amazing Interlaken details. I was myself there 2 years back[Interlaken Ost], it's definitely the most beautiful place I've seen.

Last edited by rohansachar : 9th April 2015 at 13:27. Reason: Missed Page 3
Old 9th April 2015, 19:08   #43
BHPian

What a fantastic trip ! This is the kind of road trip that every petrol head would dream of. Not to mention the beautiful sights, sounds and experiences that Europe has to offer. I, for one, would look forward to pulling of something like this in this lifetime. Well done, guys.

Coincidentally, I was having a pint at my neighbourhood watering hole a month or so ago and I ran into a couple of British blokes, Stu and James. They told us that they had driven down from London to Bombay and we thought they were feeding us BS ! We got chatting with them and it turns out they bought an old school LR Defender and did the entire trip over 7 months. They have a website called www.conservationontheedge.com. Have a look in case interested.
Old 10th April 2015, 16:52   #44
BHPian

Wow !!!! Plain Wow !!!... This is the stuff dreams are made off !!!
Nothing else....Hats off to you guys !!!
This needs some serious preparations... and you have so far done a commendable job...
Please keep the thread updated as it is very engrossing and highly addictive just like the Magic Mushrooms you get in Amsterdam... (if you know what i mean ).

Waiting for more to follow....

P.S. I don't disagree with you on the choice of the vehicle... I think it would prove its worth in each penny spent and the sturdiness of the Rover is well known..
Old 14th April 2015, 11:03   #45
BHPian

Rated this thread a well deserved 5 stars. You guys have done an amazing job. I would have never thought about doing something like this ever. Hats off! I am waiting for the rest of the part.

Europe is such a beautiful place. Every single time I see a picture of any place in Europe, I can't stop myself from drooling. I can only wish that I own a Superbike there and spend a quality summer through the country roads. Looks like the dream is too beautiful to happen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks