Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 23:57   #46
BHPian

Re: London to Jammu: With a Range Rover

WOW ! Its a dream circuit . Looking forward for next set of updates.
Old 16th April 2015, 04:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Amazing trip!! Almost looks like a dream come true.

Amazing Interlaken details. I was myself there 2 years back[Interlaken Ost], it's definitely the most beautiful place I've seen.
Thanks Rohan. Interlaken indeed was beautiful. Switzerland was actually the most beautiful of all the places we saw during the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMan View Post
Coincidentally, I was having a pint at my neighbourhood watering hole a month or so ago and I ran into a couple of British blokes, Stu and James. They told us that they had driven down from London to Bombay and we thought they were feeding us BS ! We got chatting with them and it turns out they bought an old school LR Defender and did the entire trip over 7 months. They have a website called www.conservationontheedge.com. Have a look in case interested.
Thanks KMan. Thanks for the link, will definitely check it out and if defender was not as thirsty as she is, we would have done the trip with her as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.munish View Post
Please keep the thread updated as it is very engrossing and highly addictive just like the Magic Mushrooms you get in Amsterdam... (if you know what i mean ).

Waiting for more to follow....

P.S. I don't disagree with you on the choice of the vehicle...
Thanks Munish. I am glad to see the comparison of the thread with magic mashrooms. Yeah, RR did turn out to be the right choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Rated this thread a well deserved 5 stars. You guys have done an amazing job. I would have never thought about doing something like this ever. Hats off! I am waiting for the rest of the part.

Looks like the dream is too beautiful to happen
Thank you for your kind words Voyageur. Dont give up on your plans, one day hopefully i will be commenting on your travelogue :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
WOW ! Its a dream circuit . Looking forward for next set of updates.
Thanks ManuMacher.
cooldudesunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 04:44   #48
BHPian

Day 10: Munich (Via Neuschwanstein Castle)
[Written By Akhil]

Today was going to be a long day on the road. So we got up a little early, quickly got done with our breakfast, packed our bags. It was a bright, sunny day again, so we did a little bit of photo-shoot (off-course) before we could start moving towards Dhanno.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140914_161802.jpg

The place we were staying at did not had private parking for the guests, so we had to park Dhanno on the street (it was a safe street thou).

Any human with a heart would cry looking at the plight of this handsome young man but not this lady with the camera … :-/

Getting all the stuff back in the car took some time, and there we were, back on the road towards Germany.

It was a long drive, took us almost 8 hours to reach Neuschwanstein Castle. By the time we reached, the castle was already closed. It was a quiet, deserted town. We started finding a place to park Dhanno as you have to walk to the castle and cars are not allowed.

After consulting a taxi guy, we found a parking area. Parked the car and started walking in the direction of the castle. We were hardly 100 mtrs through when it stuck to both of us that castle is already closed, and it was getting dark and would easily take us 20-30 minutes to reach the castle and we weren’t even sure if we will get a nice view of it from outside.

We looked at each other and unanimously decided to get back in the car and drive to Munich, where Aarti’s friends were waiting for us.

We had hardly moved a half mile when this beautiful view of the castle made us take another stop, photographs had to follow

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0400.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0404.jpg

After spending another 3-4 hours on the road we arrived in Munich with warm hearts and roti’s awaiting us

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0411.jpg

After having a nice gup-shup session over some really good Indian food (nothing beats Indian food), we called it a day and checked into Hotel Angelo.

cooldudesunny is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 00:31   #49
BHPian

Day 11: Czech Republic
[Written By Akhil]

After giving our bones much needed rest, we had one of the better breakfasts of our trips here. The hotel staff was kind enough to let us park Dhanno right next to the hotel entrance as the underground parking was not high enough to accommodate our car.

Aarti loved the tea that was served on the breakfast table, and the waitress was amazingly kind, she packed few of those for the trip.

We got all the stuff back in the car and started for Prague. Climate was really nice and warm, what can one ask for when on the road! :-)

It was already noon and Prague was roughly 400 kms away, which meant we would not be able to check out Prague today and will have to do that tomorrow morning.

Road were as clean and clear as you would expect from any country within Europe, enjoying the beautiful scenery along the twisting and turning roads we reached Prague in the evening. Aarti had booked us in nice palace converted hotel. We picked up necessary stuff and checked in. There was not much light left in the evening, still we came out for a walk and hunting for a nice meal. We decided on having “Thai” cuisine and found a nice restaurant nearby.

To our surprise the owner was from Scotland, we had a good chat with him. The food was good which ended our day in Prague on a high note.

Name:  tweet.png
Views: 6858
Size:  41.4 KB

cooldudesunny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

One word - Hooked. Absolutely amazed at this attempt. Truly a remarkable feat. Dhanno has served you well. The car also deserves for this trip.
Old 22nd April 2015, 02:40   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
One word - Hooked. Absolutely amazed at this attempt. Truly a remarkable feat. Dhanno has served you well. The car also deserves for this trip.
Thanks Blackwasp. Dhanno indeed has served us well, cannot imagine doing such a trip in any other vehicle!
Old 22nd April 2015, 03:25   #52
BHPian

Day 12: Prague To Linz, Austria

[Written By Akhil]

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g03212621200x500.jpg

We woke up a little early as yesterday we arrived in Prague when the sun was going down. The beautiful place it is, it deserved some quality time from us but before that we checked out our hotel which itself was quite mesmerizing.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0171216.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0151212.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0161215.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0181220.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_123948.jpg

We had our breakfast in the hotel, got out stuff in the car, requested the hotel guys to keep an eye on the car as we were going to check out nearby places on foot. Prague is prone to theft (like any major tourist destination is) so be carful where you park your car filled with all kind of stuff!

It was beautiful day with sun shinning bright. We walk to the famous Charles Bridge (14-15 Century) and there were hoards of people (tourist) enjoying the views and performances by local artist. It was more like a festival going on, people smiling and laughing, vendors displaying their stuff to lure in customers. The bridge was indeed beautiful as were the life size sculptures on the brigde walls.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0201226.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_132255.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-20140917_134605e1429373798681.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_134709.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_134731.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_132624.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0251241.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0351273.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0241238.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_134427.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_132458.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_134813.jpg

We wanted to spend some more time there but it was already afternoon and we wanted to checkout few more things before we exit Prague. Aarti guided me through narrow streets to old town square which did not seem motorable, there were infinite people walking, eating out, shopping, clicking photos. Although we could not see any sign which suggest not to drive on this street, to be on a safer side i just parked it on the side and sat inside, while Aarti got out to click some pictures of the o this Prague Orloj, which is a 15th Century astronomoical clock, third-oldest and the oldest one still working!

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0381282.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-g0421294.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-img_20140917_153402.jpg

Our next stop was Slovakia, but Aarti remembered that she had one relative in Linz, Austria. It was a detour but we did not want to miss this opportunity to meet them especially after Aarti told me that they own an Indian Cuisine restaurant in Linz .. he he

Our destination Restaurant New "Namastey" India was 250 kms, and i could already feel my toungue pissing thinking about a nice cup of Indian Chai, Daal, Chappati, Tandoori Chicken etc.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-20140917_202548.jpg
London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dsc_0416.jpg

Driving within Austria is a beautiful experience, wide and excellent roads, beautiful scenries, greenery all around, nice fresh air. By the time we reached Linz, it was already dark, we parked our car and walked in the Restaurant. We were warmly greeted by Aarti's cousin and his business partner. I finally got my hands on to a nice cup a chai after a loooong time, i will let my smile do the talking :-D

After we enjoyed a nice Indian meal, we visited Aarti's cousin's place to meet the family and then called it a day after reaching our hotel for the night.
cooldudesunny is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:43   #53
BHPian

Fantastic and gutsy trip, to say the least. The superb pictures and racy narrative only make it even more riveting from our perspective. Keep the good word-pictures work going, and may God Bless You Both with many more memorable adventures!
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:56   #54
BHPian

Don't add years to your life but add life to your years.

Before coming across this thread, it did not even occur to me that something like this is even possible. This thread just flushed away few mental blocks. Way to go guys. I am so jealous of you, and at the same time am happy too. Few people on this earth get to live this kind of life. May both of you keep adding life to your years for ever and ever.
Engine_Roars is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 00:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

If i had not seen this thread i wouldn't believe this was possible !!
This is something that i would love to do and sometimes want to do but will never ever do !! Its amazing how you guys could take out time for a trip of a lifetime. This is something that you will cherish for the rest of your lives ! The one thing you will not have in common with other people !!
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:31   #56
D4D
BHPian

I can safely say that this is the king of Travelogues. Epic adventure you had there.

Can you tell me how many KMs you covered from start to end?

Also, keep the updates coming.
Old 24th April 2015, 08:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
Fantastic and gutsy trip, to say the least. The superb pictures and racy narrative only make it even more riveting from our perspective. Keep the good word-pictures work going, and may God Bless You Both with many more memorable adventures!
Thanks Rajeev. Thank you for your kindness. I will try and keep the thread as updates as soon i can and may god bless you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Don't add years to your life but add life to your years.

Before coming across this thread, it did not even occur to me that something like this is even possible. This thread just flushed away few mental blocks. Way to go guys. I am so jealous of you, and at the same time am happy too. Few people on this earth get to live this kind of life. May both of you keep adding life to your years for ever and ever.
Thanks Engine_Roars. We had these mental blocks as well to start with and trust me the moment you will take the first step, you will realize it is not at all that difficult. Wishing you a journey of your dreams, and may that time come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
If i had not seen this thread i wouldn't believe this was possible !!
This is something that i would love to do and sometimes want to do but will never ever do !! Its amazing how you guys could take out time for a trip of a lifetime. This is something that you will cherish for the rest of your lives ! The one thing you will not have in common with other people !!
Thanks Nik Kapur. We both were actually working as well while we were traveling, dint have that many holidays and no company will let you go for that long. It was tiring but every moment was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I can safely say that this is the king of Travelogues. Epic adventure you had there.

Can you tell me how many KMs you covered from start to end?

Also, keep the updates coming.
Thanks D4D. We covered 20,000+ kms as we had to cut short our route i.e. we couldn't travel via China and had to detour via Iran.
cooldudesunny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 13:58   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldudesunny View Post
Thanks Rajeev. Thank you for your kindness. I will try and keep the thread as updates.......detour via Iran.

Hello cooldudesunny,

As someone has already remarked earlier in one of the comments here - this has got to be the mother of all travelogues !

My best wishes and congratulations on this truly epic effort - particularly keeping in mind the state of the world we are living in today. Your enthusiasm - both you and your wife's - is extraordinary and infectious. I hope others will be affected and inspired to take on another glorious trip like this one.

Cheers and all the best,
Shashanka
Old 24th April 2015, 15:55   #59

Absolutely amazing traveloque!!

It's one of my dream as well to do a similar trip, and travel through multiple countries. This thread gives immense motivation and excitement to plan for a similar trip.

Kudos to Akhil and Aarti!..please keep us posted on your whereabouts and the wonderful pictures.
Old 27th April 2015, 15:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

Man O man... you are the man! Woooaaaaaaaa what a trip! Congratulations Akhil and Aarti! This is stuff dreams are made of.. surely ours, me and wife. Been planning this from Mumbai to London, all planning ready, but the Pakistan crossing part was scary, so did it in bits n pieces.

We did Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, France crossed, did a end to end UK. We also did end to end in NZ recently, planning Spain this year. My T logs are out here somewhere.

Watching yr thread carefully for the rest of the journey, maybe I'd follow your trails in Europe to many places we did not touch and want to repeat Switzerland. Your T Log, videos story are inspiring, keep them flowing, probably will contact you for some details of Eastern Europe.

Power to you and Aarti to upload the goodies and keep going.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 27th April 2015 at 15:40.
ramkya1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed