Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 15:35   #16
BHPian

Re: To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant_dv View Post
Hi lambdaplus,

Thanks for starting this up in me
Glad to have re-kindled the desire to drive!

Amsterdam is quite far and it took me 8 hours to drive to Stuttgart, on the autobahn. It was the only time I liked to be on the German side since there were no speed limits, although the Passat I had could maintain only 180kmph consistently due to traffic. But, traffic is a problem, especially around weekends\holidays.

I would suggest that you drive all the way to Nassereith on day one and rest.
Next day would be rejuvenation day, where you can visit the highest paved road in Europe - ötztal glacier road, austria, which is just about 80kms from Nassereith. You can cross over to Italy and stay near Vipitino Sterzing (<150kms drive). And, third day on, you can venture on the route to Stelvio and crunch some quality miles!

All the best and do share pics
Old 25th June 2014, 15:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.munish View Post
Wow !!!
How far were you in the trip when you realized that the camera is missing.
We were over 150 odd kms away and, since it was holiday season, the Autobahn (Stuttgart -> Ulm) had crawling traffic, which made me decide against driving back.
Old 25th June 2014, 15:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, about 7 years after seeing Stelvio Pass on Top Gear (Season 10, episode 1)....

....Stelvio is the most spectacular. Maybe it would be a nice build up if you follow the reverse route. Either way, a trip to Stelvio is amazing!

Awesome!!! Wow!! (n all the adjectives i am not able to put in)

I have seen that episode where a Lambo. Porsche and an Austin take the hairpins and the video is so beautifully made that it makes you get on the next flight and go do the drive yourself.

Glad that you were able to do the trip and believe the Quattro did justice on the bends.

Checking out holiday deals for Italy now…

Cheers,
Vinay.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdaplus View Post
Glad to have re-kindled the desire to drive!

I would suggest that you drive all the way to Nassereith on day one and rest.
Next day would be rejuvenation day, where you can visit the highest paved road in Europe - ötztal glacier road, austria, which is just about 80kms from Nassereith. You can cross over to Italy and stay near Vipitino Sterzing (<150kms drive). And, third day on, you can venture on the route to Stelvio and crunch some quality miles!

All the best and do share pics
Lambdaplus,

Thanks for the pointers. Amsterdam to Nassereith seems doable unless there are major traffic hurdles due to constructions. I want to make it more of an Austria trip and try Italy another time which by itself needs a full week considering multiple places to visit.

Have a few things in pipeline regarding work, need to plan my holidays based on that.

Sure, I will put up a travelogue and am considering to put up my Switzerland trip first before that.

Regards,
Prashant
Old 30th June 2014, 21:58   #20
BHPian

Hi Lambdaplus,

Lucky Short Onsite, join the club

The Stelvio roads look great without any traffic.

I did the Stelvio on a weekend, when it was full of bikers and caravans, and it was a really dissapointing experience. Militant bikers overtaking like maniacs, caravans and cyclists clogging up the extremely narrow roads. I had a better experience driving on the Swiss alps roads, esp. Susten Pass.

But, by far the best road that I have driven on here is the Grossglockner High alpine road in Austria. It's a toll road which passes through 3-4 mountains IIRC. Beautiful scenery, Smooth tarmac, no idiotic speed limits, no traffic and the roads are wide enough for you to be a little adventurous without worrying about repair bills. I loved it so much that I've been on that road twice in a month already.

Do try to cover that road if possible. You'll not regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When we went to Europe, we put team-bhp stickers on the passes
Attachment 1253424

Attachment 1253425
Hi tsk,

I did a roadtrip through the Stelvio, Susten, Grimsel, St. Gotthard and Furka Pass last week of May. Almost all the stickers had been removed from these boards. The Stelvio pass board, as expected had accumulated a lot of stickers again, but of the other 4, only Grimsel Pass had some stickers. Susten pass board was barren, and I couldn't find any boards for the Furka and St. Gotthard Pass. I had one URL sticker with me which I did put up on the Grimsel Pass board though. If I do get a chance to do that circuit again, I'll make sure I have enough stickers to leave our mark

Regards,
SuperBee
SuperBee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 08:40   #21
Team-BHP Support

Awesome pictures with beautiful scenery. I want my holiday to be like this.

Quote:
Look at the boards. Its full of stickers. Its a sort of touring custom.
Isn't it the same for our own Leh Laddakh region? I think I spotted a few.
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post

I did the Stelvio on a weekend, when it was full of bikers and caravans, and it was a really dissapointing experience. Militant bikers overtaking like maniacs, caravans and cyclists clogging up the extremely narrow roads. I had a better experience driving on the Swiss alps roads, esp. Susten Pass.

But, by far the best road that I have driven on here is the Grossglockner High alpine road in Austria.
Hi SuperBee,

Yes, normally Stelvio has quite some traffic! Thats why we left early from the hotel to beat the traffic! On the day we were driving towards the hotel, there were many tractors coming downhill. They were clogging the road due to their max 30kmph speed limit! Luckily, we were on the opposite direction!

But, the best thing about Stelvio are the narrow roads. I just loved to push limits in the constricted space! That is exactly why I felt 90kmph speed limit was a challenge! Really hard to maintain 90 on these narrow roads

And, yes, Grossglockner is also on my list. Lets see when I end up there!

Cheers...
lambdaplus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:09   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
Awesome pics and excellent write up , thanks for sharing lambdaplus , I have always believed that the country roads are worth exploring in Europe rather than motorways if you have the time on your side , did a trip to Ben Nevis range in Scottish highlands from London entirely through non motorways last year , it holds some beautiful memories and your write up just flashed everything back , thank you again for sharing such delightful pics.

I completely agree. The non Toll roads, non Motorways/Freeways are usually beautiful scenic drives. Evocative of the Golden age of "motoring".
Old 15th July 2014, 11:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Thanks for the pix and this thread. I have planned my Swiss vacation starting the coming weekend. Much like you, I have been enamoured by the beauty of Stelvio Pass thanks to Top Gear.

I will be driving from Davos, CH to Venice, IT via Stelvio Pass. Will share pix when I get back.

Will check the Hotel you recommended for availability.

Thanks again.
@Lambdaplus, thanks for recommending that hotel. it was one of the best experiences. I just got back from my trip that included a drive via Stelvio Pass. Like I mentioned earlier, I drove from Lucerne, CH to Venice, IT via Davos and Stelvio. quality of the road is a bit disappointing at some places but overall it's good fun.

To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-dsc_2158.jpg

Quote:
When we went to Europe, we put team-bhp stickers on the passes
Attachment 1253424

Attachment 1253425
Did not find tbhp stickers. not on Stelvio pass atleast.

To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-dsc_2143.jpg

To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-dsc_2144.jpg

did not step out when I drove to Susten Pass. it was snowing reminding me of Finland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Hi Lambdaplus,

The Stelvio roads look great without any traffic.

Hi tsk,

I did a roadtrip through the Stelvio, Susten, Grimsel, St. Gotthard and Furka Pass last week of May. Almost all the stickers had been removed from these boards. The Stelvio pass board, as expected had accumulated a lot of stickers again, but of the other 4, only Grimsel Pass had some stickers. Susten pass board was barren, and I couldn't find any boards for the Furka and St. Gotthard Pass. I had one URL sticker with me which I did put up on the Grimsel Pass board though. If I do get a chance to do that circuit again, I'll make sure I have enough stickers to leave our mark

Regards,
SuperBee
the stickers indeed seem to be refreshed periodically.

Traffic - I agree. through the say, the traffic volume only keeps increasing.

To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-dsc_2277.jpg

To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-dsc_2284.jpg

The lady who runs the hotel mentioned to me about a Porsche Club (about 15-20 Porsches) meet the evening I left from that place and that they'd be driving up and down Stelvio early in the morning at 6am the next day to avoid traffic. I suspect that the yellow Porsche you see in a pic above was part of the club. you never know.
similarly, a Lotus Club was there during 1st wk july and that they'd return end Sep.

Taking the cue, I woke up early in the morning and drove up and down Stelvio a few times. thoroughly enjoyed it. the Ford B-Max handled quite well actually.

To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-dsc_2192.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 23:10   #25
BHPian

I am going here on Saturday morning from Stuttgart :-) It was actually nice coincidence i stumbled across this post. Any advice on how long it takes to reach bormio from the base ? I will be travelling with a 2 year kid too...
Old 20th July 2014, 10:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
@Lambdaplus, thanks for recommending that hotel. it was one of the best experiences.
@14000rpm,
Awesome that you drove through Stelvio! Really glad you liked the Hotel!
Yes, there will be a huge number of people driving (and also cycling) to Stelvio! Did you listen to the sounds of echoing engines from the top of Stelvio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
I am going here on Saturday morning from Stuttgart :-) It was actually nice coincidence i stumbled across this post. Any advice on how long it takes to reach bormio from the base ? I will be travelling with a 2 year kid too...
@400Kph, I hope you are already at Stelvio today!

Strictly speaking, stelvio pass is doable in a single day, if you have to, from Stuttgart. But, I would recommend at least a weekend trip so that you get to relax a bit and drive up and down Stelvio a couple of times. Its not everyday that one would be able to visit Stevlio. Besides, there are quite a few passes in the vicinity if Stelvio that could also be visited. Especially since you have a 2 year old kid, it would be too taxing on the better half to do it in a single day! All the best, do share pics!
lambdaplus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 11:04   #27

Absolutely Stunning !

Look at that top view of that road. I had previously admired this road in one of the top gear episodes shot at this very location. Just added this to the Bucket list of things to do.
Old 24th July 2014, 13:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdaplus View Post

@400Kph, I hope you are already at Stelvio today!

Strictly speaking, stelvio pass is doable in a single day, if you have to, from Stuttgart. But, I would recommend at least a weekend trip so that you get to relax a bit and drive up and down Stelvio a couple of times. Its not everyday that one would be able to visit Stevlio. Besides, there are quite a few passes in the vicinity if Stelvio that could also be visited. Especially since you have a 2 year old kid, it would be too taxing on the better half to do it in a single day! All the best, do share pics!
We ended up doing a 3 day trip with Stelvio pass,Bormio,Livigno (Duty free village :-)), St.Mortiz, Julier pass etc etc. Awesome place and here are few picutres. Thanks for your inputs @lambdaplus

To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0192_psd.jpg
To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0261_psd_1.jpg
To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0268_psd.jpg
To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0269_psd.jpg
To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0272_psd.jpg
To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0324_psd.jpg
To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0382_psd.jpg
To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0417_psd.jpg
To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!-img_0681_psd.jpg
@400Kph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 13:29   #29
BHPian

@400kph, nice! 3 days well spent and great pictures too!
Did you find traffic on the Stelvio Pass road?
Old 24th July 2014, 18:48   #30
BHPian

@Lambdaplus, Yes lot of bikers !! Had a nice feast of BMW,Yamaha and Ducati. The sound of their exhaust was like music in Alps :-) This trip is a definite recommendation for any auto enthusiast.

Most Viewed