Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 21:21   #31

Re: To Stelvio Pass (Italy) in an Audi A3 Quattro!

Hi Lamdaplus,

I will be doing a very similar trip in another 15 days. You mentioned its best to avoid the autobahns and motorways to enjoy the real beauty. Can you please help me know how to take care that we do not enter the motorways and take to local and more scenic routes instead? Are there any signage for the same? Your help is highly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 5th August 2014, 07:12   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurdon View Post
Hi Lamdaplus,

I will be doing a very similar trip in another 15 days. You mentioned its best to avoid the autobahns and motorways to enjoy the real beauty. Can you please help me know how to take care that we do not enter the motorways and take to local and more scenic routes instead? Are there any signage for the same? Your help is highly appreciated.

Cheers
Just get yourself a TomTom or equivalent GPS and select routes on it which avoid toll roads or motorways.
Old 5th August 2014, 08:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just get yourself a TomTom or equivalent GPS and select routes on it which avoid toll roads or motorways.
Thanks for the suggestion shankar. The issue is that I am on a really tight budget. To be honest I will not be able to buy one. Can I get one on rent for few days?
Old 11th August 2014, 17:01   #34
BHPian

@ankurdon, sorry I was out of town!
Any navigation system including Google Maps will give an option to avoid toll roads or to choose non motorways. That should be enough to avoid toll roads.
There will be clear signs (blue color in Germany and Green in Swiss) when you are approaching an autobahn.
Old 11th September 2014, 00:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurdon View Post
Thanks for the suggestion shankar. The issue is that I am on a really tight budget. To be honest I will not be able to buy one. Can I get one on rent for few days?
Hi ankurdon,

I hope i'm not too late in posting this.

You can also plan a trip via the webpage of viamichelin. It gives you all the possible roads, expected fuel costs and toll charges on these roads. It's a good tool to plan roadtrips here in Europe. Usually the Michelin recommended route is the one which is most scenic.

Though it is true that the real beautiful roads lie off the autobahns, these roads are very useful for covering long distances in a jiffy. We once did a marathon Amsterdam - Grossglockner(Austria) - Amsterdam run in 36 hours in a Honda Insight - possible only because of the high speed autobahns.

My suggestion is, decide on the roads you want to drive on, and use the autobahns to get to the required exits, spend quality time on the roads, and use the autobahns to get to the next selected road.

Let me know in case you need any more assistance, will be glad to help you out

Regards,
SuperBee
SuperBee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks