Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2014, 11:40   #16
BHPian

Re: A 3000 kms Road Trip to Kutch!

Good travelogue jesrani and enjoyed reading it.

Will give an insight to the places in & around Kutch. I would say its informative for us to plan to Kutch one day !!

Few questions:
(a) Can you give an indicative figures for the hotel / homestay at various places.

(b) How would one obtain permit for White Runn as mentioned in your travelogue? i.e. the process / time taken and from which place to obtain this permit.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences
vittal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 12:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittal View Post
(b) How would one obtain permit for White Runn as mentioned in your travelogue? i.e. the process / time taken and from which place to obtain this permit.
The process is very simple. The permit can be obtained at Bhirandiara checkpost where the turnoff to Dhordo is - you have to come this way to go to Dhordo anyway. You produce an ID card, pay a small fee and that's it - it takes 5 minutes. Obviously during "office hours" - safest between 10.00 and 12.30 and perhaps 2.00 and 4.00

If you want to go to some of the restricted villages in the Kutch area, then the permits have to be obtained in Bhuj . If you want to go to the Indo / Pak Border across India Bridge, then the permit has to be obtained at the BSF office in Kodki in Bhuj- this is a time consuming process and may take multiple days to get, although well worth the effort.
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 13:55   #18
BHPian

Thanks for your quick response. Useful when we plan for trip to Kutch (part of itinerary during end of the year).
Old 11th August 2014, 09:28   #19
BHPian

Excellent travelogue. I'm very much inspired to have such a drive to Diu on my car.
harpreetsubhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 12:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent and wonderfully detailed report. A great reference for all. Thanks for sharing
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 20:57   #21
BHPian

It gives an insight to the places in & around Kutch. Very informative for us to plan to Kutch one day !!

(a) Can you give an indicative figures for the hotel / homestay at various places.
vittal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 09:34   #22
BHPian

Very well written travelogue and glad to hear the SX4 performed very well. Having owned the SX4 Zxi until earlier this year, i can vouch for it being one of the finer vehicles for a long distance journey.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 14:53   #23
ved

I am originally from Kachchh and have traveled a lot in this beautiful region. I can safely say that this is one of the most detailed travelogue you will find.
Great job.
ved is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 15:17   #24
BHPian

Hi Jesrani

Excellent travelogue. Very informative and helpful for planning a Kutch trip which I am planning in October. Few questions below which can help me in my planning:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Day 3 : Patan to Modhera to Dasada

We took a turn from Radhanpur and went towards Adesar, where we filled up the petrol. It was probably the last pump on the way.

Why did you go towards Adesar and not directly turn towards Balasar from Santalpur (my reference is Google map)?
Quote:
Day 5 : Dholavira and off to Bhuj

We finally started from the site at 12.30pm and after some local purchases left Dholavira before 1pm.

Is 2 hours sufficient to explore the excavation site at Dholavira? Also is there any timing for the fosil park entry? The reason for these queries are that I am planning to start from Ahmedabad early morning (arnd 4 am) and reach Dholavira by 9 am and start for Bhuj around 2 pm so that we reach Bhuj by evening. Your views on this plan?
Quote:
Day 8 : Mata Na Madh, Narayan Sarovar / Koteshwar, Lakhpat and Chhari Dhandh

From Mata na Madh, you first went to Narayan Sarovar then to Lakhpat. Which was the route you took to Narayan Sarovar? Road condition?
My broad itinerary as of now is:
Day 1 - Ahmedabad - Dholavira - Bhuj
Day 2 - Bhuj - Lakhpat - Narayan Sarovar - Chari Dhand - Bhuj
Day 3 - Bhuj - Dordo - Kalo Dungar - White Rann - Sham-e-Sarhad
Day 4 - Sham-e-Sarhad - Ahmedabad via Bhuj, Bachau, Dhrangadra, Viramgam

All inputs / suggestions on the above itinerary is welcome.
Also is it ok if I skip Mandvi or will it be a big loss (cannot go beyond 4 days)

Last edited by Sandy28 : 18th August 2014 at 15:20. Reason: last 2 points had to be taken out of the 'Quote'
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 15:22   #25
BHPian

Hi everyone. I am back from a most memorable trip to Kashmir. I am thankful to everyone for liking the travelogue and hope I will be able to post one of Kashmir also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Very nice travelogue complemented by some lovely photos.

This is one comprehensive tour of Kutch - might become the guide for all Kutch travelers.

Its indeed sad that Dholavira is in the state it is. I had heard that they had stopped funding for the excavation, although most of the site remains to be explored. Its a bit difficult to reach and the lack of stay options dissuades many (including me on my own Kutch trip) from going there. But the dedication of the ASI staff is very praiseworthy.

Must have been an interesting sight to see the White Desert under water. When dry, it is indeed a marvelous sight, like no other . Walking as far as you want into it is an unique experience.

Thanks for a wonderful write up. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
Thanks a lot. I have received a lot of help from travel forums (thought not really from T-BHP for this trip) and thought I should also write my experience for benefit of others. Yes there is no excavation at Dholavira. But it is a doable day trip from Bhuj. But Toran Resort was not too bad as we got a clean room at least. Was worth it since we could see the fossil park early morning and then spend time at the actual site.

The White Rann was an awesome site, even if under water. But would have liked it to be dry so that we could walk on it. But enjoyed it thoroughly nevertheless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru153 View Post
Hi Jesrani,

Nice travelogue. I liked the lone car in the Rann of Kutch. Just wanted to check, with you me and my wife wanted to travel to Gujarat to see, Rann of Kutch, Gir Forest, Diu & Daman in the first two weeks of september. Could you advise, whether during that time, it would be heavy rainfall due to which we cannot cover those places?

Priority list would be Rann of Kutch, Gir Forest safari ( on our own vehicle,if permitted) and to get a feeling of Tropic of cancer.

Please provide me your inputs as to will it be downpouring during the month of September. Since yours was the recent post, do let me know your take on the same.
Thanks. I had to take that picture of the Lone car in Kutch.
Sorry but I think it would not be enjoyable to travel during heavy rains. We have been to Saurashtra in 2011 November and I believe the forest may be closed during rains, you need to check. Diu and Daman are on opposite ends with the sea between them. You can cover Diu if in Saurashtra, but I don't think it would be enjoyable in rains. Daman is in South Gujarat, 640km from Diu by road!!! Even Rann of Kutch would not be enjoyable in rains.
My advice, travel in November-December-January time, it's the best season. If possible avoid holiday periods and enjoy the places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Its on the Narmada. Tapi flows through Surat
Thanks, will correct this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark_rover View Post
Excellent Travelogue, excellent places and indeed lovely pictures.
Can you please post up a Google route map of your trip. This will help me in planning a trip sometime in near future.
I am not sure how to post the map. But we travelled in this sequence:
Vapi-Mehasana-Unjha-Sidhpur-Patan-Modhera-Dasada-Radhanpur-Adesar-Rapar-Dholavira-Rapar-Chitrod-Bhuj-Devour-Matano Madh-Narayan Sarovar-Lakhpat-Chhari Dhandh-Devpur-Than-Nirona-Bhirandariya-Hodka-Kalo Dungar-Hodka-Dhordo-Bhirandariya-Bhuj-Mumdra-Mandvi-Mundra-Bhadreshwar-Mundra-Samkhiyali-Dhrangadhra-Ahmedabad-Vapi

Put this sequence in Google Maps and you will get the route

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Jesrani, nicely written travelogue of a lovely trip. Would you have a map of the locations you visited ?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittal View Post

Will give an insight to the places in & around Kutch. I would say its informative for us to plan to Kutch one day !!

Few questions:

Thanks again for sharing your experiences
Thank you.
I think Hotel Tulsi at Patan cost Rs.1,700 a day.
Rann Riders at Dasada was 8,800 per day all meals and a safari included
Devpur Homestay was 4,500 per day for stay only
Sham-E-Sarhad at Hodka was 6,800 per day all meals included
Vijay Vilas at Mandvi was 9,000 per day including breakfast and dinner

The permit is easily obtained in Bhirandariya. Took me all of 5 minutes as I was the lone person at that time. I have heard it can take 1-2 hours during peak season with hoards of tourists. It can also be obtained in Bhuj I believe but not sure. Contact Krutarthsinh of Devpur homestay. He will guide you.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Excellent travelogue. I'm very much inspired to have such a drive to Diu on my car.
Thanks and all the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Excellent and wonderfully detailed report. A great reference for all. Thanks for sharing
Thanks for liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Very well written travelogue and glad to hear the SX4 performed very well. Having owned the SX4 Zxi until earlier this year, i can vouch for it being one of the finer vehicles for a long distance journey.
Yes, the SX4 was indeed very comfortable on all roads, good or bad. Love this car. OT, which car did you change it for? I have booked the Honda City i-Dtec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ved View Post
I am originally from Kachchh and have traveled a lot in this beautiful region. I can safely say that this is one of the most detailed travelogue you will find.
Great job.
Thanks, really appreciate it. Am happy to get such positive responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Hi Jesrani

Excellent travelogue. Very informative and helpful for planning a Kutch trip which I am planning in October. Few questions below which can help me in my planning:

My broad itinerary as of now is:
Day 1 - Ahmedabad - Dholavira - Bhuj
Day 2 - Bhuj - Lakhpat - Narayan Sarovar - Chari Dhand - Bhuj
Day 3 - Bhuj - Dordo - Kalo Dungar - White Rann - Sham-e-Sarhad
Day 4 - Sham-e-Sarhad - Ahmedabad via Bhuj, Bachau, Dhrangadra, Viramgam

All inputs / suggestions on the above itinerary is welcome.
Also is it ok if I skip Mandvi or will it be a big loss (cannot go beyond 4 days)
I think it will be hectic. You can safely skip Mandvi if you have only 4 days.
Maybe you can do as under :
Day 1 : Ahmedabad to Dholavira, see the ruins. Stay at Toran.
Day 2 : Fossil park early morning, reach Hodka by evening. See Kalo Dungar if possible. Stay at Sham-E-Sarhad
Day 3 : Check out the White Rann early morning and go directly to Lakhpat and Narayan Sarovar from Hodka and come back to either Devpur or Bhuj. Skip Chhari Dhandh.
Day 4 : To Ahmedabad
This is actually too hectic. You can do a smaller trip and enjoy it rather than trying to see everything in one go.
Go to Dholavira and Hodka only. Maybe also cover Patan and Modhera. Don't go upto Lakhpat / Narayan Sarovar.
Day 1 : Ahmedabad to Patan via Modhera
Day 2 : Patan to Dholavira, see the ruins same day
Day 3 : Fossil park early morning. Leave for Hodka. See Kalo Dungar on the way maybe
Day 4 : Early morning White Rann and reach Ahmedabad by night

Answering other questions :
Why did you go towards Adesar and not directly turn towards Balasar from Santalpur (my reference is Google map)?
Seems that road may not be good. Road via Adesar-Rapar was good all the way. I think last petrol pump is at Rapar. We covered the 286kms in 6 hours including stoppages of 1 hour.
Is 2 hours sufficient to explore the excavation site at Dholavira? Also is there any timing for the fosil park entry? The reason for these queries are that I am planning to start from Ahmedabad early morning (arnd 4 am) and reach Dholavira by 9 am and start for Bhuj around 2 pm so that we reach Bhuj by evening. Your views on this plan?
As mentioned, seems very hectic to me. You will see all be not sure if you will enjoy. 2 hours are sufficient to see the site.

From Mata na Madh, you first went to Narayan Sarovar then to Lakhpat. Which was the route you took to Narayan Sarovar? Road condition?
We took a taxi and I did not exactly note the route. But I think it is as it shows on Google Maps:
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ma...6111!3e0?hl=en
Road was good, no problems.

Last edited by jesrani : 20th August 2014 at 15:30.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 17:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be hectic. You can safely skip Mandvi if you have only 4 days.
Maybe you can do as under :
Day 1 : Ahmedabad to Dholavira, see the ruins. Stay at Toran.
Day 2 : Fossil park early morning, reach Hodka by evening. See Kalo Dungar if possible. Stay at Sham-E-Sarhad
Day 3 : Check out the White Rann early morning and go directly to Lakhpat and Narayan Sarovar from Hodka and come back to either Devpur or Bhuj. Skip Chhari Dhandh.
Day 4 : To Ahmedabad
This is actually too hectic. You can do a smaller trip and enjoy it rather than trying to see everything in one go.
Go to Dholavira and Hodka only. Maybe also cover Patan and Modhera. Don't go upto Lakhpat / Narayan Sarovar.
Day 1 : Ahmedabad to Patan via Modhera
Day 2 : Patan to Dholavira, see the ruins same day
Day 3 : Fossil park early morning. Leave for Hodka. See Kalo Dungar on the way maybe
Day 4 : Early morning White Rann and reach Ahmedabad by night

2 hours are sufficient to see the site.
Patan,Modhera and Dasada are not on the list as I have already been there. Ideally I would have preferred to have 2 more days but not possible. And we are really keen on doing Kutch as it has long been on the cards.
If 2-3 hours is enough for Dholavira, then cant we leave for Bhuj by 1 pm as you did and reach Bhuj by around 6-7 pm on Day 1 itself?
My estimate is that Bhuj to Sham-e-Sarhad is about 70 km and from the resort to Kalo Dungar is about 50 km. So if i leave Bhuj around 1 pm on Day 3, I can checkin at the resort around 3 pm. Then go to Kalo Dungar at 5 pm. I can check out the white raan next day early morning like you did and then leave the resort around 9 am to start back for Abad.
I know it is asking for a tad too much but is it all too ambitious? Just somehow trying not to have to drop this trip
Old 20th August 2014, 22:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Patan,Modhera and Dasada are not on the list as I have already been there. Ideally I would have preferred to have 2 more days but not possible. And we are really keen on doing Kutch as it has long been on the cards.
If 2-3 hours is enough for Dholavira, then cant we leave for Bhuj by 1 pm as you did and reach Bhuj by around 6-7 pm on Day 1 itself?
My estimate is that Bhuj to Sham-e-Sarhad is about 70 km and from the resort to Kalo Dungar is about 50 km. So if i leave Bhuj around 1 pm on Day 3, I can checkin at the resort around 3 pm. Then go to Kalo Dungar at 5 pm. I can check out the white raan next day early morning like you did and then leave the resort around 9 am to start back for Abad.
I know it is asking for a tad too much but is it all too ambitious? Just somehow trying not to have to drop this trip
Yes, you can probably do it that way. But Abad to Dholavira to Bhuj same day may be hectic. However if it's not an issue for you, you can do it. Think about staying at Devpur instead of Bhuj if you like such experiences.
All the best for your trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks