Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 21:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between

Day - 4 Continued

After filling our belly to the brim and struggling to move like a python just done with gulping down a big dear we reluctantly turned on the ignition for our onward journey. Target was to drive leisurely to Sonamarg and call it a day. The clock was hitting around 3 PM when we tanked up the beast and moved out of the city.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0705.jpg
Immediately greeted with great roads

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0708.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0709.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0722.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0725.jpg
Stopped here to fill up our water stock

Things become more cynic as we inched closer towards Sonamarg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0728.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0740.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0742.jpg

We found a small stream running parallel to the road and thought of taking the beast to its banks.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0752.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0756.jpg
Beast cooling down

After spending good 15 minutes in minor 'Jaal Krida' we were back on the highway again.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0771.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0776.jpg
Sonamarg wasn't far

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0781.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0782.jpg

To Be Continued...
BeingCynical is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
The roads started to better out but fading sun rays weren't helping us make any speed. At an alarming rate, reaching Srinagar before 11 PM was looking bleak.

Just when we were barely 5 KM away from joining Jammu - Srinagar highway again, I had this westernly disturbance in my stomach. Remember the Jhal-Mudi? Perhaps that did the trick. With no option in sight, I decided to do a trucker's act and contribute generously to the fertility of the hilly region.

All the above photographs were taken when I came back triumphant from behind the big rock. I even tried to be little philosophical.

After that it became too dark for any kind of photography. To top it, the roads became nonexistent. Except this bad boy in front of us, we never found anything great to click. And believe me, this guy was a real bad boy and acted as our bodyguard for quite some time.
Quote:

Though the plan was to sleep till 10AM and start around 12, the Cryogenic in the room worked wonders and we are all wake up by 8; even though we slept around 2 AM last night. Got ready quickly since we want to get the hell out of that place as soon as possible. The tout at the reception asked us for a feedback and who says looks don't express much? My look in response to his question perhaps said it all. Poor chap stopped then and there with his PR activity and vanished from our presence quicker than Sanjeev Nanda washed his BMW.

As if Mr. Murphy was waiting to smile on me. No sooner I said, the roads have improved, the J&K PWD chaps took humiliation in my statement and wanted to show me, who is the boss.

I immediately accepted my mistake for underestimating the PWD chaps and the roads improved a bit. But as punishment I was asked to negotiate some most disciplined creatures.

We finally got something that looked like serving tea but the shop owner was completely disinterested in having milk in the tea that he serves. I even asked if he knows something called Milk. Surprising enough he knows.
Excellent Travelogue. It made all the more interesting with your witty comments spaced in between your cool narration and awesome pictures.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 28th August 2014, 14:45   #48
BHPian

Hi BC,

Thanks for a detailed travelogue.

Yours is a little different as you have detailed the roads traveled making readers feel travelling through the same Roads.
For me the Journey is more important than the destination and so far I have seen the same.

Looking forward to rest of it.
Old 28th August 2014, 19:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Something so drastic can't happen in one year time. Did I take a wrong route? I am wondering now...
Quite possible.The Kishangarh Bathinda super highway was often recommended in this forum.
Old 28th August 2014, 21:31   #50
BHPian

Day - 4 Continued

We kept moving and the scenery changed from great to Wow!!

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0787.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0796.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0804.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0815.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0817.jpg

We moved on with stopping multiple times to enjoy the landscape. To our benefit we had enough time on our hand to take our drive at our own luxury.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0824.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0835.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0838.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0840.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0843.jpg

You may get tired of the beauty but the beauty would never tire itself.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0845.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0850.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0853.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0867.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0872.jpg

To Be Continued...

Last edited by BeingCynical : 28th August 2014 at 21:32.
Old 28th August 2014, 22:08   #51
BHPian

Day - 4 Continued

After 15 minutes of bio + photography break we moved ahead. We are almost there near Sonamarg.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0877.jpg

Just about then we saw few bravehearts braving it out so that we can enjoy the drive in paradise and write about it too. Thought to spend few minutes of ours with these brave sons of the soil to show our gratitude.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0882.jpg
Breavhearts grinding it out for you, me and everyone else

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0886.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0891.jpg
The braveheart, yours truly and his prised possession called his Tummy

After 15 minutes with some fine gentlemen we moved towards Sonamarg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0889.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0894.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0895.jpg

Soon we entered Sonamarg.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0898.jpg

After the welcome bridge we entered the small hamlet of Sonamarg within no time.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0903.jpg

Opted for the very first hotel from Srinagar side. The Hotel Sonamarg Glacier is a gem of a place to stay. At Rs 1700/- per night, it is value for your money. To add to it, the balcony and the scene it offers is worth dying for.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0905.jpg
Nice Hotel

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0907.jpg
Hotel Pathway

That ends an enjoyable day-4 drive. Tomorrow the real challenge begins with an aggressive target set at Leh, starting with the mighty Zojila.

Stats for the day

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-route.jpg
Route

Distance covered - 221 Km
Driving Time - 7 Hours

To Be Continued...

Last edited by BeingCynical : 28th August 2014 at 22:19.
Old 29th August 2014, 01:50   #52
BHPian

great travelogue so far. eagerly awaiting the pics for the remaining journey. hopefully I can get Leh'd by next summer.
Old 30th August 2014, 23:42   #53

Quote:
Routes after Sardasahar till Bhatinda and beyond is fine. The issue with me is the road till Sardasahar from Kishangarh. It is shortest but the roads are partially complete. I count at least 6 places where the traffic is diverted from the Highway through highway side towns. And how inner roads in these towns are needs no elaboration. Well dug up roads and unruly traffic rule the roost with crazy drivers throwing themselves from every possible direction including the sky. If that is not enough, the cattle class of such cities add insult to an already aggravated injury.
Congratulations for the great trip and thanks for the wonderful travelogue cum photolog.

I wanted to bring this to your notice that to go to Sardarsahar from kishangarh, one doesn't have to go through jaipur. The route is kishangarh-sujangarh-ratangarh-sardarsahar. This road is in great condition and is 100 kms shorter than the route you took. Hope this helps others going on this route.
SVS1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:58   #54
BHPian

Day - 5

Coming back after a 3 day break during Ganapati festive week. In fact I was out for a more than 1000 Km outing with wife.

So this day was the day when we were going to reach Leh. The destination of last 5 days drive. For next 3 days Leh was going to be our base camp for our visits to near by lakes and passes.

Started from Sonamarg early. Before it could hit 5:30 AM we were out of the Hotel parking lot.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0767.jpg

Thankfully the gates were open. Thanks to Modi and his visit to Leh the day before, the gates were opening around 4 AM for last 3 days. Soon we were seen heading towards the mighty ZojiLa. The initial rise was easy with moderately good road.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0777.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0780.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0786.jpg

We saw few Jawans doing their routine morning drill

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0789.jpg

Early morning the mountains were even looking beautiful. We could see little bit greenery still there but were aware that the green would give way for the barren and brown vistas

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0794.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0797.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0801.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0803.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0809.jpg

To Be Continued...
Old 14th September 2014, 10:21   #55
BHPian

Day - 5 Continued

It looks like a jinx with my Travelogue as well. No sooner I catch some speed to complete it, hindrances come visit me from nowhere. The latest being my trip to Tokyo again. Got settled down and now got some time finally to proceed with the log.

But before we move forward, my heartfelt prayers are for those marooned by the devastating flood in the valley. I am sure many, those had planned the trip around Sep Mid must have a hard time seeing their plans getting washed away and quite literally at that. I know that feeling of dejection seeing your plans going south but then, that is life. In the mean time we can only pray for the safety of those in that region and hope everything turns normal soon.

The initial ride to Zojila was not that troublesome. In fact till one crosses Baltal, things look quite normal

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0812.jpg
Roads were normal till now

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0821.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0822.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0824.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0825.jpg
Perhaps the last bit of greenery till one reaches Manali

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0826.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0830.jpg
Zojila started to show its true color

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0835.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0839.jpg
Apt!!

Before the real ascend began, we thought to take a break and enjoy the Vistas

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0842.jpg
Yours Truly striking a pose

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0843.jpg

To Be Continued...
BeingCynical is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 10:56   #56
BHPian

Day - 5 Continued

After a break of 5 minutes we started to ascend the mighty Zojila. Thankfully it was neither muddy or slushy. It was heavily dusty though.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0851.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0852.jpg

Here is a video of 20 minutes covering major part of the ascend. Since the size was close to 3.5 GB got to trim it using a free software. Hence you will see some watermark in between. I know it is irritating but can't help

Here is another one

Finally after grinding in the dust for close to 30 minutes, we managed to reach the ZojiLa top. And what a relief for both, the beast and us

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0854.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0857.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0858.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0860.jpg
Much needed rest for the beast

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0861.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0866.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0870.jpg
Inviting roads

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0872.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0874.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0876.jpg

Time was now for some hot cup of tea. And we were not disappointed with our search. Just after we descended from ZojiLa we had this small tea stall. We were not hungry by then so there was no breakfast on the plans. It was a break for some tea only.

To Be Continued...
Old 14th September 2014, 11:35   #57
BHPian

Day - 5 Continued

The tea vendor was preparing some Chicken for lunch. Looked yummy but we weren't waiting for lunch. We have some distance to cover before we reach Leh. While Tea was getting ready, I took a stroll to capture some greenery

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0880.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0881.jpg
Tea Getting Ready

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0884.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0885.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0890.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0891.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0895.jpg

After good 10 minutes break we moved again. Next target was to reach Drass and as we were told by Truckers at Zojila Tea stop that roads till Drass are bad.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0899.jpg
We encountered our first biker gang for the day

Roads were dusty and from bad to worse till we reach the ZojiLa army base. I never knew there is a small memorial there as well.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0901.jpg
Some Army Trucks Too

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0907.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0910.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0911.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0912.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0914.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0916.jpg
The Zojila Memorial

To Be Continued...

Last edited by BeingCynical : 14th September 2014 at 11:37.
Old 14th September 2014, 13:10   #58
BHPian

Day - 5 Continued

We spent 10 minutes at the war memorial. Had a chit-chat with couple of soldiers. We were invited for a cup of tea but had to deny the invite as we had a long distance to cover.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0919.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0920.jpg

Roads improved a bit. The dust gave away to some good to moderately good roads. But nevertheless, they were as inviting as ever

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0922.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0923.jpg
Long distance to go

In the mean time the greenery completely vanished to give us vistas full of brown, dark brown and at time black

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0933.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0942.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0947.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0949.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0953.jpg

After 1/2 an hour got this straight stretch for our liking and decided for a photo break

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0956.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0960.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0964.jpg
Yours Truly

To Be Continued...
Old 14th September 2014, 13:35   #59
BHPian

Day - 5 Continued

The roads deteriorated again. In fact the tar vanished completely. It was more like driving on a barren land with boulders coming out from every direction.

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0972.jpg
It started with this

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0975.jpg
And ended up with this

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0984.jpg
Were not sure then if we should stop by this or not

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0992.jpg

Roads turned to worse and there were places where it was difficult to differentiate between the road and the rest

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0995.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0997.jpg
Lone rider

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_0998.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_1000.jpg

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_1016.jpg
Roads improved a bit after some time but still remained narrow

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_1025.jpg
Finally reached Drass at around 9:30 AM

Took some customary photographs. Spent some time on some cold drinks. Yes you read it correct. It was dry and hot and some Fanta was not at all bad an idea then.

The road conditions after Drass improved drastically. In fact at times it was like a runway

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_1027.jpg
And we moved on

Pune to Pune via Ladakh - The White Beast conquers everything in between-dsc_1035.jpg

To Be Continued...

Last edited by BeingCynical : 14th September 2014 at 13:37.
Old 14th September 2014, 15:45   #60
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent travelogue with superb narration and awesome pictures, thanks for sharing
I came across your travelogue while browsing on my phone and could not stop till I finished reading it completely
Really feels like one is traveling with you on this journey.

I thought you had a plan to drive with other folks who were interested, didn't that work out ?
And yes you were lucky to escape the fury of floods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks