Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2014, 23:08   #1
BHPian

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad

To all the members of TBHP, This is my first post on this forum, feeling excited though took a while to write this.

Heard the proverb misfortunes does not come alone? Well in which case fortune comes in pack of 12.
My long waiting dream of Team-BHP membership got approved a day before my short trip to the mountains.

Delighted and excited I made my happiness felt in friends and family. Would write a separate thread on this in future.

I was eyeing the long Eid weekend for over a month, it wasn't clear if my daughter will get holiday and hence did not booked any hotel in advance. On Tuesday it was clear that my daughter has to go for extra classes on Saturday and there was no way she can join us in which case I have to drop the idea of Family tour. I discussed this with few of my friends including one in Mumbai who agreed to join us in the trip. Come Thursday and the only 2 confirmation was me and my another Bangalore friend. Called up the hotel where I have stayed in the past and I knew people, luckily they had one room available. I went ahead and booked it. On the eve of the travel while discussing with my wife suddenly I told her why not my Son joins me. And here I was on Saturday morning Two and a half men ready for the adventure for 3 days.

Trip Details
Saturday 26th July 2014 Bangalore to Meenmutty Heights, Wayanad
Sunday 27th July In Meenmutty Heights resort
Monday 28th July Bangalore return via Madhumalai/Bandipur

Total Distance - 686 Kms
Vehicle - XUV 500
Mileage - 14 Kmpl
Route :- Bangalore - Mysore - Bandipur-Gundlupet-Sultan Batthery-Vadavanchal-Meenmutty Heights- Gudalaur-Madhumalai-Bandipur-Mysore-Bangalore
Stay :- Meenmutty Heights, Wayand. A 300 acres Tea plantation with a water stream flowing from the resort, in complete Mist for majority of time.

One and a half men left from home at 06:30, picked up my friend from DRDO and started my journey. The usual trend while traveling on Mysore road is to have the first stop at Kamat Lokaruchi 70 kms from here. Enjoyed a lovely south Indian buffet breakfast with a lovely ambience. 65 Rs for kids below 8 and 130 rs for adults. Had a sedated drive till Mysore, one does not feels that he has left the city while driving on Mysore road, similar traffic, similar speed breakers and on top of it the 2 wheelers driving in the middle of the road like no one's business. Reached Columbia Hospital junction took left on the ring road and zipped through, entered the regular Mysore<=> Nanjungad traffic, after Nanjungad traffic becomes sparse and is fun to drive. Drove till Gundlupet and instead taking a right to go to Sultan Batthery I drove straight to Bandipur. Reason was simple my friend has never visited Bandipur, weather was nice and pleasant so drove till the Jungle camp office in Bandipur saw some deers and elephants and took a U turn and returned back.
Suddenly decided to go to Himwad Goplaswamy temple, took a left before Gundlupet and started in the direction of the temple after while landscape changed it started to drizzle and saw some Sunflower farms, got down took some photos and drove forward. Further at the checkpost they had stopped the vehicles for some VIP guests and instead waiting we came back. Went to Gundlupet took a left turn and I was on the Sultan Batthery road.
After around 10 kilometers encountered farms with loads of Marygold flowers, got down for some photography enjoyed the nature and started the drive again. The road passes through the jungle and it was a blissful ride with nature around and newly laid tarmac. Reached Sultan Batthery at 02:30 PM, had lunch at Isaac Regency, this is the same place I stopped during my last trip. Food was good and cost was very reasonable. And a few kilo meters from here the real Nature drive started, it was so much of fun driving uphill while the climate changed rapidly. Saw a lot of football crazy towns with flags of their favorite nations furring.
Called up the resort and took directions, by 04:00 PM we reached the resort. A little about the resort, Meenmutty Hieghts resort is spread across 300 acres of tea plantation very close to Tamilnadu border (2 kms ) and a water stream flowing in middle of the resort that connects to Meenmutty waterfalls. One has to drive over a kilometer from the main road within the property to reach the reception. It was a familiar feelings, Mist playing hide and seek every moment.
Took rest and late evening went for a walk within the property saw lot of god's creation small creatures etc.
Next day we went on a long trail within the resort, saw the mighty meenmutty waterfalls flowing encountered various species got an opportunity to explain about a few to my son. Afternoon played some cricket and badminton, followed by a lazy lunch and a nice sleep. Evening was a casual walk again, listening to the sounds of water and nature.
Next morning we left the resort after breakfast, inquired about the route and was told that the route via Gudalur is very scenic though long and windy. I decided to take that route, it was a good decision. Out of 45 Kms ride, 30 kms was very scenic and a pleasure drive sometimes in complete mist. We got down for some pictures and a funny incident happened, I wanted a group picture and there was no one around, we waited for a while and saw an old man passing by. I requested him for a picture and this innocent old man went and gave a pose for a picture, he thought I wanted his picture. We laughed a little took his picture and then asked him to take a group picture of ours and he obliged. All this communication through sign language, since both of us did not speak a common language.
Reached Gudalur found a familiar sticket on a car(LTD) , took left at Gudalur towards Bandipur. Roads for the first 10 -15 kilometers were bad.
Drove till Mysore stopped at Kamat's had Lunch and straight drove till Bangalore.

Now comes some Picture Story :-
Sunflower enroute Himwad Gopalaswamy Betta
A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0001001.jpg

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0003001.jpg

Marigold farms 10 kms from Gundlupet

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0023.jpg

Within the resort

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0039.jpg

Water stream within the resort

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-g20140726_181610.jpg

XUV Posing inside the tea estate

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0053_1.jpg

Notice the clean markings on the road (Vadavanchal, Kerala)

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0063.jpg

Stay in the property

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0074.jpg

From Meenmutty to Gudalur route - Misty at times

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0078.jpg

XUV Posing

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0086.jpg

The innocent old man

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0101.jpg

2 and a half men

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0102.jpg

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0117.jpg

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0119.jpg

Langur Posing

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0123.jpg

Notice the langurs in Yoga mudra (did you noticed the top one)

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0125.jpg

A long walk

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0134.jpg

Deers

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0133.jpg

The naughty Langur

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0145.jpg

The Pelican

A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad-gdscn0147.jpg
vijaymishra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 15:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad

Thread moved to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 15:54   #3
BHPian

Re: A short trip to God's Own Country - Wayanad

Welcome to Team BHP Vijay! Very nice pictures you got there. Special mention to the picture of the pelican! Nicely captured.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks