Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 14:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kanha & Tadoba - A 3000 km roadtrip in the Fortuner

Might be visiting Tadoba again end of this month. The sightings are pretty good from what I hear. There is a tigress with cubs in Kolsa zone
Old 6th April 2015, 15:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Might be visiting Tadoba again end of this month. The sightings are pretty good from what I hear. There is a tigress with cubs in Kolsa zone
hi, i plan to do a three day trip to tadoba this july. yes, during rains ! i know no one can guarantee a sighting but would it be really worth? ..considering my first wildlife trip cum photography. also, if you can pm me the details (As below) it would be really great help.
- place to stay
- permits required
- gates to plan visit ( advance permissions required)
- self drive 4x4 car from Nagpur airport
- any special permissions to visit the buffer zone
- any conservation trips happening
- anything you would like to tell
Old 6th April 2015, 16:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Romeo View Post
hi, i plan to do a three day trip to tadoba this july. yes, during rains ! i know no one can guarantee a sighting but would it be really worth? ..considering my first wildlife trip cum photography. also, if you can pm me the details (As below) it would be really great help.
- place to stay
- permits required
- gates to plan visit ( advance permissions required)
- self drive 4x4 car from Nagpur airport
- any special permissions to visit the buffer zone
- any conservation trips happening
- anything you would like to tell
In July only the tar road would be open afaik. You can book safaris online (https://nationalpark.mahaonline.gov....ilability.aspx) or through someone. Just Google you will get plenty of info.

You might want to get in touch with a Tadoba expert such as Atul regarding your queries: https://www.facebook.com/atul.dhamankar1

Note: I had once done a few safaris through Atul, we are in touch through FB, no other links

Last edited by nilanjanray : 6th April 2015 at 16:33.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 17:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
In July only the tar road would be open afaik. You can book safaris online (https://nationalpark.mahaonline.gov....ilability.aspx) or through someone. Just Google you will get plenty of info.

You might want to get in touch with a Tadoba expert such as Atul regarding your queries: https://www.facebook.com/atul.dhamankar1

Note: I had once done a few safaris through Atul, we are in touch through FB, no other links
Thanks a lot for this nilanjan I tried to connect with him but it seems he cannot accept anymore friends. First time ever i saw this in FB We our very own in house expert (Dr Ghosh) who can throw some more light. Will get in touch with him too.
Old 21st July 2015, 17:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
You can book safaris online (https://nationalpark.mahaonline.gov....ilability.aspx) or through someone. Just Google you will get plenty of info.
Hello Nilanjan,

First of all thanks for sharing all the wonderful pics that you take along with the interspersed narration, really do enjoy reading those.

In fact it serves as a good reference material for someone planning to go to these places.

Still waiting for the complete story on the tigress which attacked a man at Tadoba.

We are in Nagpur in the last week of December (tickets booked) and we are sure we want to visit wildlife sanctuaries, not sure which one though. Thought will share my thoughts with you to help me with the planning.

Decided against sending a PM as this would help others as well.

1. Is Pench National Park in Maharashtra or Madhya Pradesh, looking up the internet suggests both.
In Maharashtra we have the Pench Tiger Reserve and in MP the Pench Wildlife Sanctuary. Which is the one usually visited by people in terms of sightings/ease of accomodation/safaris etc.
Depending upon whether we go within Maharashtra or MP the distance increases

2. Then we have Tadoba, this is where I would want to go but one part of me also wants to visit Pench/Kanha

We would arriving in Nagpur on 30-Dec and leave for either destination on 31-Dec (morning) to target reaching by 3-4pm.
I think Thursdays usually the parks are closed (correct?) so planning for three safaris on 1st and 2nd Jan and return to Nagpur for the flight back to Pune on 2nd evening.

Most of the group consists of first timers, there would be 2 kids as well, considering the season which park would be better.

Thanks in advance.
Salil
Old 21st July 2015, 23:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post

We are in Nagpur in the last week of December (tickets booked) and we are sure we want to visit wildlife sanctuaries, not sure which one though. Thought will share my thoughts with you to help me with the planning.

Decided against sending a PM as this would help others as well.

1. Is Pench National Park in Maharashtra or Madhya Pradesh, looking up the internet suggests both.
In Maharashtra we have the Pench Tiger Reserve and in MP the Pench Wildlife Sanctuary. Which is the one usually visited by people in terms of sightings/ease of accomodation/safaris etc.
Depending upon whether we go within Maharashtra or MP the distance increases

2. Then we have Tadoba, this is where I would want to go but one part of me also wants to visit Pench/Kanha
Pench straddles MH and MP. IMO the MP side of Pench is better for wildlife.

MP Pench is a couple of hours from Nagpur, max, so distance shouldn't play a consideration.

Tadoba is also close by: 2.5 - 3 hours from Nagpur, depending on the gate.

Tadoba is famous for tigers. Pench has more scenic beauty, but less chance of cat sightings.

Kanha is 4-5 hours away. A beautiful park.

You take the call
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Tadoba is famous for tigers. Pench has more scenic beauty, but less chance of cat sightings.

Kanha is 4-5 hours away. A beautiful park.

You take the call
Thank you Nilanjan! It sure is a difficult call considering the limited time we have, if Kanha is only 4-5 hours drive from Nagpur, might end up going there instead of Pench. But Tadoba... this is getting confusing.

Cheers!
Old 24th July 2015, 13:44   #53
BHPian

I have to say, Nilanjan, your photos are just amazing.

I am planning to go to Tadoba in October. Do you/others have any experience visiting Tadoba or Kanha in October? It will be lush green after the rains, but do you know if safaris operate?

Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 12:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDracoola View Post
I have to say, Nilanjan, your photos are just amazing.

I am planning to go to Tadoba in October. Do you/others have any experience visiting Tadoba or Kanha in October? It will be lush green after the rains, but do you know if safaris operate?

Thanks
Sightings won't be good in October, just after the park opens. Too much undergrowth, tiger movement yet to be understood. I had gone there in Oct 2013, was disappointed.

Safaris on the main tarmac road (Moharli - Tadoba Lake) are available throughout the year afaik. Google for latest situation.
Old 30th August 2015, 14:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

A few photos from Central India

Was going through the old folders, processed these over the weekend. Excuse the image quality, I downsized larger jpegs, had deleted the TIFF files (occupy too much space on my laptop).

Tigerscape, Kanha
Kanha & Tadoba - A 3000 km roadtrip in the Fortuner-dsc_24022.jpg

Teenage tigress. Already practicing catwalk
Kanha & Tadoba - A 3000 km roadtrip in the Fortuner-dsc_2324.jpg

Female Sambar and fawn, just before sunset
Kanha & Tadoba - A 3000 km roadtrip in the Fortuner-dsc_35172.jpg

Pregnant tigress
Kanha & Tadoba - A 3000 km roadtrip in the Fortuner-dsc_4091.jpg

Peacock, golden light. Careful stalking to come close with a 70-300mm.
Kanha & Tadoba - A 3000 km roadtrip in the Fortuner-dsc_4686_small.jpg

VIF: vulture in flight
Kanha & Tadoba - A 3000 km roadtrip in the Fortuner-dsc_2492.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 30th August 2015 at 14:32.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks