Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 10:24   #1
BHPian

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!

Hi, 2 weeks ago i visited the Maharashtra Nature Park located at Sion (Dharavi) in Western Mumbai. I had heard a lot about this place, so thought why not give it a visit.

The park opens at 7.30, the entry fee is 20 rupees.
Its spread across 37 acres of land which was once upon a time a dumping ground. This park is an amazing example of how will power and love towards Nature can help create a place which is lush green, right in the middle of the city and trust me, its really really dense. The sun light bare reaches the ground throughout most of the areas in the park.

I will let the photos do the talking now.

The smallest butterfly ive ever seen
Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8884.jpg

Sorry for the dark image but it was very early in the morning with less light
Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8889.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8898.jpg

Look at the density of the trees.
Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8904.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8910.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8924.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8915.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8935.jpg

This one could'nt sit at one place even for a sec. Somehow managed to take this pic.
Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8942.jpg

This one was huge, and sat peacefully very close to where i was standing.
Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8946.jpg
Dieselritzer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 10:27   #2
BHPian

re: Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!

Some more pictures.

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8950.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8952.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8956.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8957.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8961.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8971.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_8980.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_9015.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_9007.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_9043.jpg
Dieselritzer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 10:28   #3
BHPian

Nice pictures there Dieselritzer. Glad to know that a dumping ground has been converted into such a beautiful place. Would love to see more of your pictures from this visit.

Please do share what gear (camera and lens) did you use.
Old 6th October 2014, 10:29   #4
BHPian

A few more....

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_9047.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_9051.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_9065.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_9074.jpg

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img_9089.jpg
Dieselritzer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 10:36   #5
BHPian

Important Tips:

- The place is a heaven for mosquitoes, please ensure you wear Full Pants and try wearing a full sleeves tshirt/top and apply Odomos/Insect repellent creams over the exposed skin area. It will be a very irritating task just to stand there, I lost a lot of opportunity to take some nice snaps when i was in the dense part of the park as i could not even stand there for a few seconds. By the end of the walk, my leg was filled with mosquito bites, so this free ka tip is worth taking very seriously.

- Carry waterbottle, the walk is long, the place is big and it gets very humid even in the early mornings.

- I personally believe that birding is hardly possible here, the place is too dense and hardly any birds are visible, rather i think hardly any rare uncommon species of birds must be there.

- Crazy variety of plants / trees.

- Heaven for Macro Photography. Insects, flowers, etc.

- Lovely place to photograph butterflies, though the variety is less, its still fun to capture these beautiful flying flowers.

- Kids friendly place, but ensure you take precaution to protect them from mosquito.

- This place is also known for snake sighting, i wasnt lucky that day.

Overall, its a nice place to spend 2 hours on a early Sunday morning for a nature lover.

Hope you all liked the pics. Thank you :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Nice pictures there Dieselritzer. Glad to know that a dumping ground has been converted into such a beautiful place. Would love to see more of your pictures from this visit.

Please do share what gear (camera and lens) did you use.
Thank you. The place is beautiful, this concept should be re-applied. I also forgot to mention that the entire place is run on solar energy, lights, water purifiers, etc. I have uploaded all the pics I had :-)

I use a Canon 1000D (GDSLR - Gareebo ka DSLR ;-) and a kit 18-55 lens and a 55-250 jhoom lens.

A guy from BNHS had a huggggeee 100-400 lens, looked stunning.

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2014 at 17:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts :)
Dieselritzer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 10:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Glad to know that a dumping ground has been converted into such a beautiful place.
Port Trust have done this too long back in Colaba, Mumbai. A huge well maintained park next to Sasoon dock.
Another one if I remember correct is in Kolkata. A dumping ground was taken over by a famous jewellery group and made a huge park.
I don't know if it is still the same.

Dieselritzer, lovely capture there. Looks like light condition was also good that day for you.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2014 at 10:56.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 15:25   #7
BHPian

Is this the place opposite the bus depot?

Parking space available for cars inside?

Possible to take along an infant in a pram with mosquito netting?

Are guides available to give a tour of the place?

Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 18:27   #8
BHPian

Yes the place is opp bus depo. Cars stay parked outside. You can take the infant with proper measures. Guide, I doubt. There is just one officer who issues the entry ticket, other than that I did not see any park officials. But a huge tea of BNHS had come along with their guide who told the about trees and birds and nests.
Old 6th October 2014, 18:53   #9
BHPian

Re: Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!

Beautiful place and even more stunning is the photography. It would've been even more brilliant if there was someone around to explain the flora and fauna. Even without I'm sure it'd be ideal for a lonely walk free from all the rush and madness of the city to rediscover the beauty of mother nature. An ideal project for others to follow. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Sunny
Autodoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 09:46   #10
BHPian

Thank you Sunny. The beautiful of this place is that its right in the center of the city. Reach there early morning, finish the walk/photography by 9/9.30, then head to Koolers at Matunga for a nice Irani breakfast, then head home. I also wish to visit the Butterfly Garden on Ghodbandar Road. I have read really amazing reviews of it, Ovalekar wadi is what its called. The butterfly season has just begun.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 13:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is the result of years of hard work by the concerned department(s). Located opposite the Kala Nagar BEST bus depot, on the road running from Sion Station/LBS marg turn off to the Dharavi Bandra link road alongside the new ONGC office block. I have been to this park long long time back. Was stuck in a massive traffic jam and having missed my appointment decided to turn around but could not. Crawled up to the bus depot and took a turn inside. Approached the bus depot's admin office and the gent in charge was kind enough to allow me to park for some time. Hop skipped & jumped my way across the jammed up rows of vehicles and spent time lying down in the shade. Came back refreshed with the jam almost dissipated. Thanked the BEST people and drove back to my office. I do not recall seeing the solar stuff at that time but then I was not really looking around and in all honesty had the bit about 'snakes' crossed my mind I would not have done this. Good to know that more and more people are discovering this place. Parking will always be an issue though, unless BEST is amenable to allow parking specifically for visitors apart from accepting sundry requests.

The concept is well entrenched in Dilli since decades and there are several closed dumping grounds converted in to parks such as the Rajiv Gandhi Smriti Van on the Ring Road alongside Sarai Kale Khan, Kalindi Kunj/Jasola dumping ground now converted complete with Dilli's take on the 'Singapore flyer' & then there is the 9 hole Golf course developed on top of the Wazirabad dumping grounds, yes it is an operational golf course however the stink from the garbage in the extended grounds is a put off and the latest is the Ghazipur dumping ground. Here again the part toward the third phase of mayur Vihar is being converted in to a park. Tuglakabad fort dumping site is next in line for similar development. I am sure there are more that I have missed mentioning here. IIRC, there were reports regarding the Mulund(E) ground being developed in a similar fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Thank you. The place is beautiful, this concept should be re-applied.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 02:51   #12
BHPian

Beautiful photographs.Such parks are delight and lets one spend some time with nature. Bangalore has no dearth of parks and gardens ,a good thing for a busy city. Such parks apart from essentially balancing the environment and pollution levels also is home to many beautiful and rare species. More such initiatives should be encouraged before its too late for future generations to never see these beautiful creations. Lets make this world Greener and beautiful.Good thought of a Thread !
ashish_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 15:08   #13
BHPian

I used to live in Nasik for many years and my friends who lived in Bunglows or folks like me who had farms nearby, we used to grow our own vegetables and trust me, they tasted so different, fresh than what we would buy from the market. Unfortunately, houses in Mumbai dont have the real estate to do anything like this but for people who have private open spaces near their house can take implement many sustainable ideas that are inspired from nature. Waste recycling, compost dig, rain water harvesting, using solar energy, etc.

Below is an example. A Dentist friend of mine based in Nasik has Gardening as her hobby and this is something she makes very frequently. It looks really elegant, beautiful and takes very little effort.

Maharashtra Nature Park - Converted from a dumping ground!-img20140720wa0021.jpg

Last edited by Dieselritzer : 8th October 2014 at 15:27.
Dieselritzer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 16:37   #14
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the TL. I lived in Mumbai for more than 4 years and never knew that such a thing existed. Do you know when the park was opened to public?
Old 14th October 2014, 12:23   #15
BHPian

The park has been opened since more than 10 yrs now.

Most Viewed