Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2014, 22:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A road trip from East India to Vibrant Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I could not understand the underlined portion. I did enjoy the drive and yes I was the lone driver, what gave you the impression that I did not not enjoy the drive, have I written something wrong somewhere.
No Sommos, you have not written anything wrong in the thread, I meant to say that you "would" have enjoyed the drive through those beautiful scenic roads & ghats. Sorry about that confusing statement & grammatical mistake made in my earlier post
Old 20th October 2014, 14:30   #17
BHPian

re: A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)

Sommos, I enjoyed your very well written travelogue to Goa from East(ern) India. A refreshing change from Bangalore-Goa threads.

Of all the things, the most I liked in your travelogue was the position of your GPS. :-). Very sensible indeed.
Old 21st October 2014, 11:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: A road trip from East India to Vibrant Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Sommos, I enjoyed your very well written travelogue to Goa from East(ern) India. A refreshing change from Bangalore-Goa threads.

Of all the things, the most I liked in your travelogue was the position of your GPS. :-). Very sensible indeed.
I actually don't think so. I have tried initially placing the GPS near the mirror or down below at the centre, but was not comfortable with that position as it would block my view. The present position of the GPS is actually out of compulsion and with the passage of time I now feel comfortable with the position of the GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
No Sommos, you have not written anything wrong in the thread, I meant to say that you "would" have enjoyed the drive through those beautiful scenic roads & ghats. Sorry about that confusing statement & grammatical mistake made in my earlier post
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlrGuy View Post
This is a common mistake done by most people when they reach Belgaum on the way to Goa. The sign board too at the junction where you need to turn to Jambooti on the Khanapur road is not very clear. Surprised that the local people directed you to take the Khanapur route . If you know that the route you intend to take is via Chorla, all you need to ask is the route to Chorla ghats.
I actually asked for the road to GOA and they directed me to NH4A. Now I understand the mistake, I should have asked for the Chorla route.
Old 21st October 2014, 21:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: A road trip to vibrant Goa.

Quote:

This was (probably) the first automobile to be designed and produced in India. Production ended in the year 2000. This car was doing 3 digit speed on the NH4 between Pune & Khandala.
Nope. Not at all. The Tata 207Di EX/TataMobile/Sierra had their origins in an older Mercedes Benz design. Ever seen one of these parked beside a W124? It really becomes evident then...

The first car to be designed and produced in India, well the distinction does not go to the Indica, in 1998. The car that deserves this distinction is the Standard/Triumph Gazel, in 1973.

The Sierra-

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-tata-sierra.jpg

And the W124. Don't they look similar?

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-w124.jpg

To add fire to the conspiracy. Tata and Mercedes Benz had a partnership in the Fifties, however the distinctive Merc origins are still seen in TML products till this day.

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-tatamercedes_emblem_79.jpg

And the Gazel. Some of us might still remember this car. -

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-106899.jpg

Last edited by FINTAIL : 21st October 2014 at 21:36.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)

The Return Journey :

A. Goa to Hyderabad :

On the fourth morning we woke up early and got downstairs by 05:30AM, the hotel had packed some breakfast for us on their own, which was handed over to my wife. I was overwhelmed by this courtesy shown by the hotel staff. We finally started about ten minutes later and followed the same route through NH4A. The return journey was smooth as there was no traffic and we reached Mollem at 08:30AM and filled the tank with diesel. I had heard stories about checking done by the police while going out of Goa specially about foreign liquor, but I did not have to face any, I was simply waved out through the check-post. The journey upto Khanapur and Belgaum was also smooth as I already knew where the craters were on the road and did not face much problem in negotiating them.

From Belgaum we took the SH20 (Belgaum-Bagalkote Road), this was a new route and we had no idea about the condition ahead. Initially I was a bit hesitant as proper signages (in English or Hindi) were very rare. After the Belgaum airport, the traffic became sparse and the road condition improved.
The SH20 is two laned highway through some interior countryside of Karnataka connecting Belgaum with Raichur through Bagalkote and Lingsugur. The road was beautifully maintained and the traffic was also sparse, for several kilometers we did not face any vehicle driving against us.
From Raichur the road turns almost at ninety degree towards the left (North), however, we took the Raichur bypass to avoid entering the city. After Raichur we took the NH167 for some distance till we crossed the border over the Krishna river and entered Mehbubnagar district of Telengana. The road was slightly broken near the border crossing in the Telengana side. The SH18 connects Raichur to Mehbubnagar and after Mehbubnagar we joined the NH7 till Hyderabad.

We reached Red Fox Hotel in Hitec City, Hyderabad at 06:15 in the evening.

Total Distance covered : 732 KM
Time taken : 12 hours 30 minutes.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 14:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)

NH4A through the Bhagwan Mahavir Sanctuary.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015781.jpg

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015791.jpg

The Belgaum-Bagalkote Road.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015821.jpg

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015831.jpg

The Biker seen in the picture accompanied us almost till Hyderabad. He was riding a Orissa registered Avenger.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015841.jpg

The Bagalkote-Raichur section of the route.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015881.jpg

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015921.jpg

The Krishna River (or rather The Ghataprabha River) near Bagalkote.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015931.jpg

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015941.jpg

Lingsugur to Raichur.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015961.jpg

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015971.jpg

The NH13 and SH20 overlaps for a very short distance near Hungund.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc015981.jpg

The Return Journey (contd.) :

B. Hyderabad to Bhilai :

We woke up casually after a refreshing sleep, prepared for the last leg of the journey and went for the breakfast. We filled our tummies to the brink as we knew that there would not be any good restaurant on the way. Finally we started from Hyderabad at 09:15AM and joined the ORR in no time. The speed limit on this road was 120 KMPH but cars were zooming past me at considerable more speed. The ORR is incomplete at the portion where it joins NH7 and there is an kuccha road for 2 KM before we could join NH7 near Medchal.

The NH7 was again beautiful through Nizamabad, Nirmal and Adilabad and just as you cross the border and enter Maharshtra the road condition changes drastically, the smooth highway changes into a nightmare. For the next 85 KM (till Daroda, Maharashtra) the NH7 is in pathetic condition. I had read in many TL that the NH7 near Pandharkawada was broken, but I never expected this to extend for 85 KM and I had to pay toll tax twice for this portion of the road. It appeared that someone has stopped the four lane conversion in the middle of the project. The road was in such a bad condition that trucks and SUVs were more comfortable taking the muddy tracks. I tried to follow their footsteps and rubbed the underbody of the car in one huge rut created by the trucks and came back to the broken road.

A little before Hinganghat the road turns into a proper national Highway and after crossing Buti Bori, Jamtha we took the Nagpur ORR and when we stopped on the NH6 for something to feed our stomach it was almost 05:00PM. We missed our lunch for the day and the bad roads seemed to have taken a toll on my wife and child. We relaxed for half-an-hour in a road side shop at Mauda (after Nagpur) and then started for the remaining journey towards Bhilai. This was known territory for me and the journey was uneventful and smooth. We stopped at Athiti Restaurant, Bhilai Hotel sharp at 09:00PM for our dinner and finally reached home at 11:15PM.

My Linea safely brought us home after a long journey.

Total Distance Covered : 757 KM.
Time Taken : 11 hours 45 minutes.

Last edited by Sommos : 27th October 2014 at 14:49.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 15:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)

The eight lane Hyderabad ORR.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc016261.jpg

Hyderabad ORR - showing the exit for Nagpur.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc016281.jpg

Yes, this road takes you till Srinagar in the north.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc016291.jpg

The beautiful NH7.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc016311.jpg

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc016351.jpg

Colourful lights in patches.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-dsc016361.jpg

Distance travelled - Return Journey.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-img_20141006_1835471.jpg

Mileage for return journey.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-img_20141006_1836131.jpg

Average Speed - return journey.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-img_20141006_1836261.jpg

Total Distance Travelled - from start to stop.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-img_20141006_1836471.jpg

Mileage for the whole trip incl. local trips at Goa.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-img_20141006_1836571.jpg

Average speed for the whole trip.
A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-img_20141006_1837081.jpg

A road trip from Chattisgarh to Vibrant Goa (Bhilai-Pune-Goa-Hyderabad-Bhilai)-goa-toll-details.jpg

Last edited by Sommos : 27th October 2014 at 15:19.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 22:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir for sharing the details.
I am planning for a Pune-Asn this October, via this stretch of Pune - Bhilai - Asn.

Can you please share some current pointers with regards to the current condition of the road and surroundings? Would be travelling with my wife and 4 yr old daughter, so looking for decent places for night halt around Bhilai, but near to the NH. Are you aware if any such options available?

I have already enjoyed the Pune - Hyd - Visakapatnam - Cuttack - WB and back via the same stretch. Want to experience this other option and hence the ask.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks