Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 19:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

The Brisbane Chronicles - Redcliffe beach

Located about 30 kms from the Brisbane CBD is the Redcliffe region. To quote from Wiki :

Quote:
Redcliffe holds the distinction of being the first European settlement in Queensland, first visited by Matthew Flinders on 17 July 1799.[3] Explorer John Oxley recommended "Red Cliff Point" – named after the red-coloured cliffs visible from Moreton Bay – to the Governor Thomas Brisbane for the new colony, reporting that ships could land at any tide and easily get close to the shore.The party settled in Redcliffe on 13 September 1824, under the command of Lieutenant Henry Miller with 14 soldiers, some with wives and children, and 29 convicts. However, this settlement was abandoned after one year and the colony was moved south to a site on the Brisbane River at North Quay, 28 km (17 mi) south, that offered a more reliable water supply.
We decided to visit Redcliffe as it made for a relaxing drive on a weekend, and with my family still in the process of settling in, we wanted to go someplace nearby, yet peaceful.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_0906.jpg

We decided to take the M1 motorway which leads to the Sunshine Coast as our route. Redcliffe is connected to Brisbane by the Ted Smout Memorial Bridge. Based on the info from Wiki, the Ted Smout Memorial Bridge and its twin, the Houghton Highway, were Australia's longest bridges. It is the first bridge in Australia designed to withstand Hurricane Katrina-type storm events. It is also possibly the only Australian bridge which may have to deal with shallow water storm surge.The bridge is named 'Ted Smout Memorial Bridge' after Ted Smout, Queensland’s last surviving World War One veteran.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_0940.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_0936.jpg

There is a fishing platform which has been made, and we spent some time here watching the traffic go across teh bridge, while people relaxed trying to fish. There's provisions made to clean the fish as well, following the catch.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_0885.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_0886.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_0894.jpg

Some time later, we moved on as we headed towards the beach.

Those who love to walk can indulge in the Woody Point jetty to the Bridge Walk which according to the information provided can be covered in 7490 steps. We were more interested in just relaxing along the shore, watching the waves do their little tease. Our daughter made the most of the opportunity to make little shapes in the sand.

We meandered along the beachfront till we called it s wrap and headed home post lunch.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_0947.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th November 2014 at 19:54.
Old 16th December 2014, 10:06   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive

What a beautiful place to live in. Thanks for sharing this guide to Australia.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 18:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Brisbane Chrinicles : Trip to Woody Point and Settlement Cove

The beauty of where we stay is the easy access to multiple beaches within a 35-200 kms radius. To the north, we have the drive up to the Sunshine Coast, and to the south the Gold Coast. Needless to say, there are a lot more access points along the way. Not surprisingly, we end up visiting some beach or the other on a weekend. Makes for a wonderful drive, as well as an outing.

It was one such rainy weekend, with predictions of rains through the day that we decided to head off to Woody Point, which falls under the Moreton Bay council area. The route we chose was to go via Sandgate.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-woody-point.jpg

The route was quite scenic flanked by the sea on the right. We then got onto the Ted Smout Memorial bridge, with listed speed limits varying between 80-100 kmph. This is among the longest bridges in Australia. We got off the bridge and headed on to Redcliffe Parade, stopping in between to enjoy the drizzle.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4031.jpg

Despite the wet climate, there were a few joggers who braved the drizzle in their quest for fitness. Its no wonder a lot of people here are quite fit and athletic.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4053.jpg

Building the Mini Atlantis:

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4081.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4101.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4079.jpg

Dead Jellyfish along the shore:

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4052.jpg

Picked one of them, they are slightly heavy despite the jellyish looks:

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4055.jpg

After spending some time on this beach, we moved on to the Settlement Cove lagoon. This place is quite an attraction for the family crowd, although the rains meant there were lesser crowds for the day. Lazing around here was followed by lunch comprising of a combo of Chips n Calamaris, and some egg n bacon rolls.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4104.jpg

We then walked along to the Redcliffe Jetty. A cruise belonging to the Brisbane Whale Watching (http://www.brisbanewhalewatching.com.au/) was moored alongside the jetty.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4105.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4110.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4111.jpg

Despite being summer, the rains were making their presence felt even more. Soon the drizzle began to increase its intensity and we made our way to the covers of the jetty. Some hot coffee followed from one of the cafes along the road, along with some Xmas mud cake n croissant.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4112.jpg

Soon it began to get cold, and the drizzle continued unabated; we decided to make our way home.

Some pics of my ride:

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4122.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4142.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th December 2014 at 18:17.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 23:29   #19
Team-BHP Support

Hey Benson, the Brisbane Chronicles look great - just bumped into your thread browsing the Travelogues section.

Having lived in Bangalore, was it a huge change to adjust to? It (Brisbane) is a smaller town, right?

Australia looks cool, the outback is a very intriguing place, and on my bucket list to visit some day. However, Brisbane looks to be a bit sparsely populated compared to what I'm used to.

LOL - this picture is very amusing!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1-14.10.43.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 7th January 2015 at 23:31.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 09:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Hey Benson, the Brisbane Chronicles look great - just bumped into your thread browsing the Travelogues section.
Thanks Advait.

Quote:
Having lived in Bangalore, was it a huge change to adjust to? It (Brisbane) is a smaller town, right?
I wouldn't really say it was difficult as such. Driving styles are different, as is expected surely, although vehicles here drive on the left side of the road like India. Amongst the earliest instances for me when i started driving here was to keep distance from the vehicle in front and not to nudge into narrow spaces. Also when you indicate a lane change, people actually give way, unlike in Bangalore where you had to fight your way through!

Quote:
Australia looks cool, the outback is a very intriguing place, and on my bucket list to visit some day. However, Brisbane looks to be a bit sparsely populated compared to what I'm used to.
Haha! In quite a few of the pics, i have tried to avoid having people in the pics, which is why most of them appear sparsely populated. Also, usually people avoid photobombing. In some of the places, we went visiting during the non peak hours, which could also explain the lack of people.

Got this info from the Brisbane official website :

http://www.studybrisbane.com.au/Why%...0and%20Figures

Quote:
Brisbane is a thriving multicultural hub with a population of 2.2 million, making it the third-largest city in Australia. It also has the largest population growth rate of any capital city in Australia.
Quote:
Hehe, well that was pretty much after we were 'rescued'. What part did you find amusing?
Old 9th January 2015, 09:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Benny boy brought a new camera eh ? Somehow missed this thread dude and good to see you settling in. I hope life is treating you well.

Quote:
LOL nice catch and quite interesting . Is that you Benny ?
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 12:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Benny boy brought a new camera eh ? Somehow missed this thread dude and good to see you settling in. I hope life is treating you well.
Thanks Riju.
Most pics on this thread were shot using my Samsung Galaxy Ace Duo and an iPhone 5S. Was planning on getting a DSLR but postponed for now.

Quote:
Aiyyada! I was the one who clicked the pic. :P
Old 9th January 2015, 19:19   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Hehe, well that was pretty much after we were 'rescued'. What part did you find amusing?
Quote:

Scantily clad older dude advancing with a tow-rope towards a Desi looking dude who's hand is busy getting rid of an itchy sensation on his posterior region - what's not to like!

Last edited by aah78 : 9th January 2015 at 20:47.
Old 12th January 2015, 12:13   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Scantily clad older dude advancing with a tow-rope towards a Desi looking dude who's hand is busy getting rid of an itchy sensation on his posterior region - what's not to like!
LOL! Funny when you put it that way.

Between, the guy with the tow rope was the one from the Pajero, and the other guy (who is no desi for sure!) is the one from the Nissan Patrol.

There were a lot more people who helped, but i didn't click any pics during WIP as it would appear rude, especially when they went out of their way to help us.

Eventually, the XV was towed out with help from both the big boys - the Pajero and the Patrol. The Patrol with its high lift kit and tyres was par for the course.
Old 12th January 2015, 12:18   #25
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brisbane Chrinicles : Trip to Woody Point and Settlement Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Picked one of them, they are slightly heavy despite the jellyish looks:

Enjoying your chronicles.
A word of caution though.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/watch/out/jellyfish.html
Quote:
Beware those tentacles! Jellyfish need to eat in the ocean, so their sting helps them catch other sea creatures. Unfortunately, that sting can be turned on people. Jellyfish can sting with their tentacles if they brush against you when you're swimming in the ocean. You also can get stung if you step on a jellyfish, even a dead one.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 06:38   #26
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brisbane Chrinicles : Trip to Woody Point and Settlement Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Enjoying your chronicles.
A word of caution though.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/watch/out/jellyfish.html
Thanks for sharing this, Immy. I didnt know even the dead ones can be dangerous.

Here is a pic i had clicked at a different location. Dead jellyfish washed to the shore together, resembling blue idlys.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-jellyfish.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th January 2015 at 06:40.
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Brisbane Chronicles - ODI @ The Gabba

I never really was much interested in following cricket when i was in India; i never bothered to watch it on TV, forget watching it at a stadium. However, with the interest in cricket seen here in Australia, and also the friendly banter among colleagues at work in a multi-cultural environment, the effect rubbed off on me. Soon i found myself having a tab on the browser synced to the cricinfo site to check live match updates.

Twas' a fine day when a friend of mine asked if i was interested in watching the live version of the Tri Series ODI match. The series between Australia, India and England, saw the first duel between India and England was to be held at the Gabba in Brisbane on the 20th of January.

Tickets were booked and we found ourselves counting down the days.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4409.jpg

The Gabba derives it name from the Woolloongabba suburb in Brisbane.

The Gabba is easily accessible by a combo of bus and train from where we stay in North Brisbane, and the good thing is that Queensland Transport allows you to travel FREE on public transport on a match day using you match tickets.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4429-copy.jpg

On match day, my friend who was accompanying us to watch the match made provisions to park our car at his place, located within walking distance from the Gabba.

Entering the hallowed Gabba was an experience to remember. There was something about the whole experience itself, with the weather Gods playing sport, considering we are in the middle of summer. A cool breeze helped make it a great day of watching cricket. However, the Indian cricket team had other plans, as we were to soon realize!!

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4416.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4417.jpg

Within 15 minutes of us settling down in our seats, the infamous Indian batting collapse had begun.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4419.jpg

As wickets tumbled, the cheer from the Barmy Army situated in same stands as we did grew louder n louder.

Vociferous English supporters - The Barmy Army
The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4437.jpg

It appeared as though i would get to leave for home even before the floodlights in the stadium had a chance to be turned on!

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_7629.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_7630.jpg

The lacklustre batting as well as bowling display from the indian cricket team left the Indian fans with nothing to cheer on, and most spent their time posing for the camera as the insipid match progressed.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_7633.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_7636.jpg

Needless to say England romped home comfortably, while we were left cheated, as the Indian team packed up like a pack of cards.

Bowed heads - Says it all
The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_7638.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_7644.jpg

The Gabba under the lights
The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_7655.jpg

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_7708.jpg

Time to go home!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd January 2015 at 18:56.
benbsb29 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 10:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue Benbsb29.
Keep updating the thread. And buy a DSLR. They are going dirt cheap now-a-days.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Nice travelogue Benbsb29.
Keep updating the thread. And buy a DSLR. They are going dirt cheap now-a-days.
Thanks Pankaj. I shall continue to update, although it sounds more like a monologue now.

I was planning on getting a DSLR during Xmas, but had to be postponed as something else took precedence. However, with some of these trips, they are more ad-hoc and result from just jumping into the car, and driving away.

Also, having multiple beaches within just 20-30 kms drive from where we stay makes it interesting too.
Old 26th February 2015, 07:17   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkishore_007 View Post
I like the array of vehicles to choose from if you happen to dwell there. As a matter of fact, I got to know that the concept of Utility vehicle originated down under. It so happened that a farmer lady wrote to Ford president (or similar) providing a vehicle specification which materialized into the so called Utility vehicle (pick up trucks). Amazing, ain't it?
Quoting your post again, to post a pic of a ute i found here. Interestingly this is based off a Land Cruiser 100 series, and is clearly non-OEM!

Just goes to show how the attempt is made to leverage the strengths of a LC with load carrying ability. No wonder the LC70 continues to do quite well even today.

The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive-img_4981.jpg

Most Viewed