Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 14:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore

Gandhi Jayanthi and Dussera clubbed together gave a lavishly long weekend for us to visit friends and relatives in Bangalore. Rock bottom flight rates changed the drive plan saving time significantly. Also my Tusker(read Xylo) was in Bangalore itself with my friend Aji due to taxation issues on other state vehicles. So no worry of hiring cabs for my daily trips once in Bangalore!

Ever since I shifted back to my home town in Kerala two years back, I missed the fun-filled weekends with friends in Bangalore. All long weekends used to be blocked for drives and getaways. Really cool days those were. And Nilgiris belt used to be our favorite destination. Though my travelogue contributions were not great, I lost count of driving to and via Bandipur ever since 2006 when Bangalore became my second home.

So a drive out with a night stay became an agenda in our Bangalore plan. Unfortunate! my buddies had some official or personal challenges to accommodate a getaway and it was just me and Aji with family fine to drive out. Choice of destination became more difficult then. Something easily doable and kids friendly took over the priority. Bookings in Bandipur were full while enquired. I checked with NH209 man of Bangalore, yes Ampere. He gave me some good suggestions too. While contemplating a drive on Google Maps especially around NH209 stretch due to good roads, BR Hills striked my mind. I have seen directions to BR Hills many times while driving to Kerala via Kanakpura route. Yes, why not BR Hills? Ampere also showed his thumps up!

I couldn't find an overfeed of information in TBHP as well like it used to be when searching for Goa or Wayanad. Got some valuable suggestions on route and accommodation in the Route and Travel Queries thread. Not many options for accommodation within BR Hills which made my life easier. Gorukana is the most recommended resort, Tariffs were like INR 4000 - 4500 per person inclusive of food but awesome ambiance. Next preferred one is Champakaranya, Tariffs were like INR 2000 per person inclusive of food. There were another two or three more options too. We chose Champakaranya after reading all the available reviews and of course because it is more affordable.

Champakaranya has different properties in the same and nearby compounds. There's is a coffee plantation bordering reserve forest at some areas. Their website is quite informative and accurate. The red building you see in the pictures is a recent acquisition (formerly Akash) and its on main road side. The white buildings shown in pictures are inside the plantation. Also two tents are also available in some corner of the plantation. I dealt with Satish and he really helped me with sufficient information and guidances on planning my trip. Booking was hassle free for two cottages by paying INR 2000 advance. Kids under five years are free. My preference was white building and Satish ensured to upgrade me later against some other cancellation even though booking was made for red building initially.They cook and serve Vegetarian food only. Non vegetarian options shall be arranged from outside upon advance request.

Contemplated the plan of starting early morning on 3rd October 2014 which is a Friday targeting to reach the resort for Lunch. Stay there and visit K.Gudi Wilderness Camp for Safari the next day morning. And start back by Lunch so as to reach Bangalore by evening on 4th October 2014. Stationed at Electronic City, route was not a question at all. Take NICE Road and exit at Kanakpura road. Drive all the way on NH209 untill Yelandur and take left deviation to BR Hills. Below is the route map from Google.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-main-map.png

Day 1 : 03 October 2014

Alarm did not had to suffer snoozing syndrome and all were on Coffee table by 5:30AM. Being just two days trip, not much of baggage or packing was needed. All we had to ensure was an extra pair or two of dresses with some food and nursing stuffs for kids. The team consisted of 2 couples, 1 five year old and 2 infants. We managed to be on road by 6:45AM. 180KMs ahead was not at all a hard target for a morning drive. All were in high spirits of a road trip after long. Cleared off the NICE road toll booth before 7AM. Only thing one should notice while on NICE road is to watch out for the exit to Kanakpura road while the road ahead is so inviting for a driver. Kanakpura road is the second left exit which is hardly 10-15 minutes though around 15-20KMs from Electronic City toll. Exited NICE and drove left towards Kanakpura direction on NH209 and the road was so empty. We were not at all in any hurry and a sedate driving at 70-80kmph kept travelers very comfortable on the Tusker.

The satisfaction which any tourist gets on Kanakpura road is the list of attractions found on the hoardings from Karnataka Tourism. Attractions include Mekadatu, Kavery fishing camp, Muthathi, Shivanasamudram and many many more. Both sides are green vegetations except few kilometers in few small towns on the way. Not many places for a decent breakfast in this route once the city limits are crossed. Carrying some bread-jam or sandwiches are the best option. We managed to find a small hotel "The Kicthen - Veg & Egg" on right hand of NH209 while driving after Harohalli where some cabs are also parked. Already nearing 8AM and the chances of finding another decent place may be a question. We pulled off the road for a detailed breakfast. Dosas, Iddly, Vada, Kara bath, Ghee Rice and Hot beverages were available.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1914.jpg

We spent almost an hour there to fill ourselves and feed kids. Food is kind of not great but good. By the time we left, the place was full with cars and all seats were full too! May be we brought them some glory? Drove further again till some buildings and local traffic were visible. Kanakpura town was busy with Dussera preparations. Flowers, fruits and vegetables were bundled on both side of the road. Few miles after Kanakpura, roads again became empty with greenary on both sides. Here comes some traffic logging and we are in Malavalli where we re-entered NH209 after some bypass roads within twon area. Taken left as shown in the below map, watch out.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-malavalli.png

After driving further till around 10AM, we were near getting closer to Shivanasamudra and Talakkad. Roads were awesome all through out.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1920.jpg

We approached a bridge which took us across Kaveri river's peripheral channel. Speedbreakers and blockage for heavy vehicles.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1931.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1932.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1936.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1937.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1940.jpg

Another comfortable drive till Kollegal which is a fairly large town on the route. Quite some turns here and there through narrow roads and we were back on the a broader road near Kollgal Court Complex. Road ahead will look inviting but need to turn right towards Yelandur. This is also a point where chances of taking wrong route is there. Refer below map.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-kollegal.png

Kollegal is the place where some ATMs and other facilities are available at ease. Beyond Kollegal, finding one is not so easy. Yelandur was not too far from Kollegal and BR Hills route is clearly marked with directions on left hand side as we approach a large right turn in Yelandur. This is a narrow road but good.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-yelandur.png

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1961.jpg

Very rural locality it is, farmers and agriculture were visible on both side of the road. We drove until we saw a small hut surrounded by Brahmin Kites. We rolled down the glass. It was stinking like a slaughter house. Could not make out what was hung around the place. Looked like some cereals kept for drying within this compound.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1958.jpg

(to be continued...)

Last edited by jacs : 18th October 2014 at 16:26.
jacs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 22:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore

Please take a look at the below google map. I added my 5 cents to make your life easy while its a first time visit.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-br-hills.png

First few KMs were pure village roads with green vegetation on both sides.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1949.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1965.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1974.jpg

Sometimes very very narrow stretches with houses on both sides or some herd of cattles or sheeps crossing roads. One moped guy selling vegetables is sometimes enough to block the way. Houses were really unique with small tiles cascaded as roofing. However I never faced any challenge, villagers were so courteous to arrange way for my Tusker. Also very kind enough to direct you when confused on a diversion.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1969.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1973.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1970.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1976.jpg

In about 10KMs from Yelandur, we reached Forest Checkpost of BRT Tiger Reserve. BRT stands for Biligiriranga Swamy Temple. As shown in the maps, 10-20 meters before the Checkpost, we came across a Y junction where BR Hills is left and signboards of Jungle Lodges & Resorts are also kept for guidance. We were stopped in the check-post to make entry of the vehicle number in the register.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1977.jpg

(to be continued...)

Last edited by jacs : 18th October 2014 at 16:22.
jacs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

We proceeded after the vehicle entry formalities in the Forest checkpost. Lush green forest roads were soothing the eyes though sun started hitting hard.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1978.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1979.jpg

We drove as slowly as possible to spot some wild life on the way. Not so favorable was luck and we did not spot anything other than some monkeys on the road. After about 15-20 minutes drive through the narrow ghat roads, we started seeing signs of human inhabitation. Noticed the sign-board towards Gorukana on right hand side. We drove further to reach a small junction with a Temple and a provision store on the front while road takes a "Y" diversion. JLR and K.Gudi wilderness camp is towards left. However Champakaranya is towards right as Sathish guided over phone. We drove few hundered meters further to find a Coffe Day Express counter on right hand side in front of another home stay. Had to drive further 150-200 meters down to see a small Vegetarian Hotel on left hand side.

The Gate accompanying the wall of the hotel is the parking for Champakaranya. Hardly 6-7 cars can be parked inside but roads are safe for parking the rest. Sathish has arranged help to park the car and to carry the luggage inside. Fresh air and noisy insects welcomed us to the plantation.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1994.jpg

We walked through the narrow path through the coffee plantations. We felt we are in some web city. Yes surrounded by cob webs and spiders (let me park some interesting snaps for next post). We reached our cottage which was bit inside the plantation. Two floor one with about 4 independent rooms and ours were on top floor.

Room looked very homely and not posh but clean and roomy. Kids found themselves comfortable on the bed watching the Pogo channel.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1981.jpg

Our room had an enclosed Balcony which was like a large window. Is there a proper technical name for this setup? We loved it. It overlooked the forest behind.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1983.jpg

View from the frontage was beautiful as well. We decided to take rest for some time and a late lunch.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1992.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1993.jpg

(to be continued...)
jacs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 16:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
Old 4th November 2014, 16:47   #5
BHPian

Thanks for sharing, looks like a laid back place to rejuvenate. Bangalore itself is suffocating, but I keep on seeing threads on a lot of getaways in and around Bangalore - it is great to have so many locations around to run away from it all. Good write up and lots of information for the next guy who would take up this journey.

I couldn't help but notice that speed breaker, isn't that a bit dangerous at night? Or is it painted with reflective paint? Doesn't look like it.

Waiting for the rest of the pics and write up!
Old 5th November 2014, 15:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very well detailed log peppered with pics at the right places mate. Good to know of places close by to Banagalore for weekend getaways which are child friendly as well.
Old 6th November 2014, 09:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
looks like a laid back place to rejuvenate. Good write up and lots of information for the next guy who would take up this journey.

I couldn't help but notice that speed breaker, isn't that a bit dangerous at night?
Waiting for the rest of the pics and write up!
Thanks Man, good to know it is useful for another guy. Place is no doubt a must go in between your busy and noisy life.

Speed breakers are easily noticeable with white but non reflective painting. I do not think it will mean real trouble unless we are too fast on the empty stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Very well detailed log peppered with pics at the right places mate. Good to know of places close by to Banagalore for weekend getaways which are child friendly as well.
Thanks Abhinav.

After a quick shower and some chit chat, we climbed down and walked to the main entrance where food is served. All were hungry and we literally ran through the plantation.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2004.jpg

Buffet lunch was ready in the hut. People can sit around the half walls or under the shade of trees and enjoy the food. A basic vegetarian food I would say but felt very homely with no colors or tastemakers. Chapathi, Special Rice, White Rice, Beetroot dry curry, Salad, Ridge guard stew, curd, pickle & sweet. We didn't felt the need of anything else. Kids were energetic and the two young ones were acting really funny. Challenging and chasing each other.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2009.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2014.jpg

We enjoyed the lunch and felt really relaxed and lazy. Everyone badly wanted a nap before we could think of some adventures. Return walk was so very slow and I did click few tiny life's.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_1999.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2002.jpg

The weather was so good with fresh breeze and haze of sun, do I really need to take rest? Well others do. After reaching back, not sure if it took 10 minutes for everyone to start snoring .

I couldn't sleep. Spiders spiders everywhere and a cam to play around. How can I sleep?

(to be continued....)

Last edited by jacs : 6th November 2014 at 09:26.
jacs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 10:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post

Very rural locality it is, farmers and agriculture were visible on both side of the road. We drove until we saw a small hut surrounded by Brahmin Kites. We rolled down the glass. It was stinking like a slaughter house. Could not make out what was hung around the place. Looked like some cereals kept for drying within this compound.
I believe the stinking smell was from the place called as Aalemane in Kannada. It is kind of factory to prepare Jaggery. You should have stopped there and tasted the sugarcane juice over there. They are just mindblowing.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1299824

They normally dry the river fish here, Hence so many birds around. Normally we stop a little ahead and try to get pics of the kites with fish.
redrage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 12:24   #10
BHPian

When I used to be in Bangalore, I 've driven through Kanakapura road so many times and even have noticed the board for B.R hills several times, but it never struck me to make a visit. Looking at your travelogue, it looks like a quaint place. Wondering, why I didn't visit!

Thanks for sharing the travelogue.

And the windows you are referring to are called French Windows.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I believe the stinking smell was from the place called as Aalemane in Kannada. It is kind of factory to prepare Jaggery. You should have stopped there and tasted the sugarcane juice over there. They are just mindblowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
They normally dry the river fish here, Hence so many birds around. Normally we stop a little ahead and try to get pics of the kites with fish.
Thanks meetbadri and redrage. Looks like the second reason though I did not notice any fishes with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Thanks for sharing the travelogue.

And the windows you are referring to are called French Windows.
Its worth a weekend drive CliffHanger. Thanks for the info on French Windows.

I slipped out of the room with my cam and started my nature walk. Spiders were my first subject and here goes some Macro trys. There were two types of spiders as I could figure out. The black one with yellow stripes. And the black one with orange legs. Pardon my ignorance

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2054.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2058.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2063.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2076.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2082.jpg

The plantation had quite some flora and fauna. Couldn't keep me from shooting them.

Many Lemon tree's plants were there.
K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2104.jpg

Sweet lime was there in abundance.
K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2040.jpg

Coffee beans
K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2123.jpg

Red Vented Bulbul
K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2107.jpg

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2042.jpg

(to be continued...)
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 15:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Did you notice something in the below pic? At 300mm in a crop sensor camera was not at all enough for reaching the tree top. This bird was so beautiful with its electric orange color combination. Any bird experts here to tell us what bird is this?

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2111.jpg

Tiny little flower decorated the path on both sides.
K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2122.jpg

Spotted Dove as I could find from Wiki
K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2131.jpg

Walked back happily to my room but again got curious with this tiny fly. Liked the color combination.
K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2144.jpg

While experimenting the Macros, heard a feeble sound from the backyard. And there was a Mongoose awaiting to pose!
K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2137.jpg

I was so satisfied with my hour spent on clicking. Called and pushed everone to get ready for a road safari in K.Gudi route. Weather was so amazing and we reached the parking area without much delay.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-_mg_2129.jpg

(to be continued...)
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 17:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Did you notice something in the below pic? At 300mm in a crop sensor camera was not at all enough for reaching the tree top. This bird was so beautiful with its electric orange color combination. Any bird experts here to tell us what bird is this?

Not much into birding but I think it is a male Orange Minivet. If my guess is right then I must say it is a good sighting. It is not easy to sight one of these.

Last edited by Torque123 : 10th November 2014 at 17:23.
Old 10th November 2014, 23:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Did you notice something in the below pic?
Really appreciate your skills on clicking those splendid macros specially the flowers & the fly. Can you please let us know the exif details.
Old 16th November 2014, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Not much into birding but I think it is a male Orange Minivet. If my guess is right then I must say it is a good sighting. It is not easy to sight one of these.
Wow! Thats correct. I reconfirmed from an earlier click from Wayanad. Same bird. This is the second time in my life.

K.Gudi & B.R. Hills - A serene getaway from Bangalore-img_2593.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Really appreciate your skills on clicking those splendid macros specially the flowers & the fly. Can you please let us know the exif details.
Thanks Ankan. Glad to hear you liked them. Almost all the clicks are from my Sigma 70-300 DG Macro in hand held mode. Cheapest multipurpose lens. Now gained some fungus but not noticable on images yet. I compose shots in Aperture priority mode most of the time, its easy.

Flower
Name:  flower.png
Views: 3938
Size:  47.3 KB

Fly
Name:  fly.png
Views: 3951
Size:  47.7 KB

Last edited by jacs : 16th November 2014 at 21:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks