Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 20:14   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Travelling to north Sikkim in End of Dec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
Hello Everyone,
Let me know any changes I should make in this itinerary. I am travelling with my wife and we both are snow chasers and don't care about harsh cold and that is the reason longest stay at Lachung
Made few changes and an addition to your plan-

28th Dec 2019 -> Pune to Bagdogra Noon Arrival > Start for Gangtok same day
> Reach Gangtok and rest.

29th Dec 2019-> Go around Gangtok

30th Dec 2019 -> Start for Lachen via taxi

31st Dec 2019 -> Visit Gurudombar, kala-patthar and stay at Lachung for the night

01st Jan 2020 -> Lachung- Yumthang- ZeroPoint- Katao - Lachung

02nd Jan 2020 -> Start early and go to Dzongu from Lachung. (You will get home stays to stay here and this place is less explored by tourists. It's near to Mangan)

03rd Jan 2020 -> Explore Dzongu a bit in the morning and start for Siliguri /Bagdogra and reach in evening.

04th Jan 2020 -> Return flight to Pune

For pics of Dzongu, you can check out my travelogue on North Sikkim. You will find pics from Dzongu in Post no 3.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post3561885 (Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV)

Last edited by Samba : 16th December 2019 at 20:23.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 11:42   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Made few changes and an addition to your plan-

For pics of Dzongu, you can check out my travelogue on North Sikkim. You will find pics from Dzongu in Post no 3.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post3561885 (Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV)
Thank you Samba for your inputs, I think the plan you suggested is a perfect one . Loved your travelogue! not sure how I missed this one.

If you have any local taxi contacts please PM me.
Thanks
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

Dinesh - 787883148. He was the fleet owner we used during our April 2019 holidays at Sikkim. Very professional and very courteous. He has a bunch of drivers and we experienced two from his team, who were both good.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to travel to North Sikkim during the New year week. I need help from the people who have been there and have knowledge about the conditions during this time of the year. I am sharing my plan for the trip and need your help in analyzing if i can improve or improvise somewhere.
Please do keep a close watch on POLITICAL conditions before travelling.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/72634389.cms

NE is under unrest due to CAB and last thing you need is getting stuck/stranded when on vacations.

Rgds-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 17th December 2019 at 12:35. Reason: Adding NEWS LINK
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I second that thought, someone I know had been to Sikkim last week, but they had to cut short their plans, some places were off limit and the first snowfall made the travel out of Sikkim an adventurous one with slushy roads, stuck vehicles and the tension at the back of the mind of an all out violent protest.
Spinnerr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 14:17   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Dinesh - 787883148. He was the fleet owner we used during our April 2019 holidays at Sikkim. Very professional and very courteous. He has a bunch of drivers and we experienced two from his team, who were both good.
Thank You @jkrishnakj I will talk to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/72634389.cms

NE is under unrest due to CAB and last thing you need is getting stuck/stranded when on vacations.

Rgds-Sonu
Thanks Sonu for the information, I didnt knew Sikkim was also affected by the CAB protests. I will keep an watchful eye on the events in the coming days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
I second that thought, someone I know had been to Sikkim last week, but they had to cut short their plans, some places were off limit and the first snowfall made the travel out of Sikkim an adventurous one with slushy roads, stuck vehicles and the tension at the back of the mind of an all out violent protest.
I agree i will be careful and plan/replan accordingly Thanks Spinnerr
Old 18th December 2019, 13:44   #67
BHPian

Re: Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV

Quote:
Few small bits -

1) Getting permit is necessary if one wants to proceed beyond Mangan in North Sikkim.
I would be travelling via a taxi from Gangtok and stay at Lachen do we still have to get the permits when are not driving any outside car ? We will be reaching on Saturday Evening and Sunday we will be in Gangtok you think we will be able to get the permits (if required) on Monday early morning ?
Any particular documents other than Aadhar, PAN and Voter id be required ?
Old 18th December 2019, 19:26   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would be travelling via a taxi from Gangtok and stay at Lachen do we still have to get the permits when are not driving any outside car ? We will be reaching on Saturday Evening and Sunday we will be in Gangtok you think we will be able to get the permits (if required) on Monday early morning ?
Any particular documents other than Aadhar, PAN and Voter id be required ?
Permits are not only for cars, it's required for the people travelling too. SK registered cars also require permit. In the North Sikkim circuit visiting any place beyond Mangan, you will require permit. If you are not taking your own car, the cab driver or the travel agency guys will take the required documents from you and get the permit done. You do not have to get it done yourself.
Keep a valid address proof with a passport size pic for every person travelling. Voter Id, Passport and Driving license are the preferred documents.
Earlier i have heard of them not accepting the Aadhar card, am not sure what's the scenario now & Pan card do not have address mentioned on it.

Last edited by Samba : 18th December 2019 at 19:34.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 20:27   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Permits are not only for cars, it's required for the people travelling too.
Earlier i have heard of them not accepting the Aadhar card, am not sure what's the scenario now & Pan card do not have address mentioned on it.
I contacted few of the cab guys and told them about the plan. For a 1n 2d excursion they are charging 19 k which includes permit, gurdongmar, valley's during the Lachen and further drive, Yumthang and zero. It's a one way trip cost from Pune to Siliguri 😁. @Samba do you think I will get a taxi if I bargain over there in Gangtok city? I have plenty of time to kill there. Or should go ahead with the tour operator ?
Manali guys are very accommodating in this respect. I understand army rules and restrictions cause a stir in their prices but man 19k wow that's a lot
Old 22nd December 2019, 21:26   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I contacted few of the cab guys and told them about the plan. For a 1n 2d excursion they are charging 19 k which includes permit, gurdongmar, valley's during the Lachen and further drive, Yumthang and zero. It's a one way trip cost from Pune to Siliguri ��.
How will they manage so many places in one night two days?
Gangtok to Lachen will take a day.
Lachen to Gurudombar, then to Lachung will take another day.
On the 3rd day it will be Lachung- Yumthang & Zero point, then back to Mangan or Gangtok.

So, it has to be a minimum of 2 nights 3 days.

19k, without hotel seems to be on the steeper side. If you negotiate directly at Gangtok, the rate should come down by 4-5 k.

Generally for 3 days 2 nights the Taxi fare with permits for this circuit should be around 14-15k.

Last edited by Samba : 22nd December 2019 at 21:35.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 13:53   #71
BHPian

Quote:
How will they manage so many places in one night two days?
Gangtok to Lachen will take a day.
Lachen to Gurudombar, then to Lachung will take another day.
On the 3rd day it will be Lachung- Yumthang & Zero point, then back to Mangan or Gangtok.

So, it has to be a minimum of 2 nights 3 days.

19k, without hotel seems to be on the steeper side. If you negotiate directly at Gangtok, the rate should come down by 4-5 k.

Generally for 3 days 2 nights the Taxi fare with permits for this circuit should be around 14-15k.
I am not sure what he thought, even on google maps it shows Gangtok to Gurdongmar is 8.5 hrs if we count in harsh terrain it will move to 11 to 12 hrs. I have turned down their offer as of now.
I have done little change in plan and found one stay in Gangtok and will do Nathu la and lachung/yumthang on separate days from Gangtok. I will hire the cab once in Gangtok as you have rightly said, one get better prices when on spot, instead of pre booking.
Thank you Samba and everyone for your help all along this plan.
Old 30th December 2019, 22:29   #72
BHPian

Reached Sikkim on 28th, quite cold here. Visited few places in Gangtok yesterday. Completed Tsomgo lake and mandir today.
Lake is partially frozen. I will post all details and expenses incurred for fellow Tbhpians to plan after I am back in Pune.
In the meanwhile drool over few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV-img20191230wa0007.jpg  

Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV-img20191230wa0006.jpg  

Sailed through North Sikkim in Sedans, Hatchbacks and an SUV-img_20191229_133635.jpg  

ShivrajG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 20:26   #73

Quote:
Reached Sikkim on 28th, quite cold here. Visited few places in Gangtok yesterday. Completed Tsomgo lake and mandir today.
Lake is partially frozen. I will post all details and expenses incurred for fellow Tbhpians to plan after I am back in Pune.
In the meanwhile drool over few pics
Hi ShivrajG

How was your trip?

I am planning a trip to Sikkim this Christmas week. I specifically want to know the best places, route to them, stays and cold. Is it too cold in Dec??

TIA
Ambrish R is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks