Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 13:18   #46
BHPian

Re: Desert Storm'd into the Thar Desert and the Little Rann of Kutch

Dear //M,
You wont believe me but i decided to join Team-BHP after i read your travelogue. Iam from Rajasthan but after reading this i feel i haven't seen it. Thanks for the eye opener and have a awesome life traveling.
spyder_p8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 12:40   #47
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
Dear //M,
You wont believe me but i decided to join Team-BHP after i read your travelogue. Iam from Rajasthan but after reading this i feel i haven't seen it. Thanks for the eye opener and have a awesome life traveling.
Thanks for your kind words spyder_p8.

Since you are based in Pune now, I look forward to meet you during the Team-Bhp meets here. Link to the meet thread: Tapri Meets
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 12:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue Arunabh. It has tempted me to do a solo trip now .
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 16:43   #49
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Excellent travelogue Arunabh. It has tempted me to do a solo trip now .
The pleasurable madness of riding a motorcycle solo across states has to be experienced, I believe. You must do a solo trip sir. Probably its the perfect time to head to the Great Rann of Kutch for a 4-5 day trip ex-Pune.

I am very much keen to do a week-long ride to the Rann but I guess I will have to wait for a better time, sadly I am engaged in some work commitments for the good part of January.
Old 5th January 2015, 22:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

This is an epic travelogue. Some excellent photos and narration, and a continuing sense of drama.

I'm in the middle of a Rajasthan trip and tomorrow I head to Jaisalmer. You have given me a virtual tour of what to expect and the places to visit. Thank you.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 10:30   #51
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
This is an epic travelogue. Some excellent photos and narration, and a continuing sense of drama.

I'm in the middle of a Rajasthan trip and tomorrow I head to Jaisalmer. You have given me a virtual tour of what to expect and the places to visit. Thank you.
Thanks predatorwheelz and many congratulations for your Elite i20.

Do post a travelogue once you complete the roadtrip. We would be eager to read about your travel experience in your new set of wheels.
Old 12th January 2015, 02:02   #52

Dear //M,

What are brilliant post this was and I am surprised I missed it earlier. I have been planning a road trip for a while and Rajasthan was what I had decided. It as inspired by chetan_l's thread about the Desert Festival but the insights information from your post is brilliant! (We also have a Royal Enfield Electra at home but and I feel ashamed to tell you this, it has been ridden just 300 kms in the last 7 years, though in most part cause I had been in Bombay the last 8 years)

About the trip I was planning, our travel plan is this:

Agra-Mathura-Ranthmbore-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Jaipur-Mathura. Agra-Mathura is cause I am from Agra and friends arriving from Bombay will get down

We are planning to stay one night in Ranthambore and 2 nights each in Jodhpur and Jaisalmer. But this gives us one extra day and we can't seen to figure our where to add it. Where would you advise we add the extra day. I hadn't considered Tanot-Longewala but after your post, it seems like a must do. On the other hand friends wanted to add the extra day to Jaipur cause there's more to do/visit there. I am a newbie, so any help regarding a roadtrip in general and this one in particular would be great!

Again, brilliant travelouge!
Old 12th January 2015, 12:46   #53
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
Dear //M,

What are brilliant post this was and I am surprised I missed it earlier. I have been planning a road trip for a while and Rajasthan was what I had decided. It as inspired by chetan_l's thread about the Desert Festival but the insights information from your post is brilliant! (We also have a Royal Enfield Electra at home but and I feel ashamed to tell you this, it has been ridden just 300 kms in the last 7 years, though in most part cause I had been in Bombay the last 8 years)

About the trip I was planning, our travel plan is this:

Agra-Mathura-Ranthmbore-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Jaipur-Mathura. Agra-Mathura is cause I am from Agra and friends arriving from Bombay will get down

We are planning to stay one night in Ranthambore and 2 nights each in Jodhpur and Jaisalmer. But this gives us one extra day and we can't seen to figure our where to add it. Where would you advise we add the extra day. I hadn't considered Tanot-Longewala but after your post, it seems like a must do. On the other hand friends wanted to add the extra day to Jaipur cause there's more to do/visit there. I am a newbie, so any help regarding a roadtrip in general and this one in particular would be great!

Again, brilliant travelouge!
Dear CaptainSLow,

Thanks a lot, I am glad you liked the posts.

Regarding spending an extra day at Jaipur or Jaisalmer:

1. If you decide to stay at Jaipur, you can include the famous Bhangarh Fort in your itinerary.

2. If you decide to spend an extra day at Jaisalmer, you can include Tanot, BP609, Longewala in your itinerary.

Both options are equally good, but Tanot and Longewala will be a different experience. If you can manage permits from ITBP for the BP609, then you will be able to see the Indo-Pak border too. Also, you may chose to spend a night at Sam sand dunes and stay in one of the swiss style tents, enjoy a camel safari in the Thar Desert and also enjoy Rajasthani Folk Dance at Sam.

Personally, I would suggest Option 2 over Option 1. But please ensure that you carry enough fuel if you are heading to Tanot and Longewala. There is just one petrol station in Ramgarh so its better you tank up at Jaisalmer.

Happy choosing.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 00:33   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Dear CaptainSLow,

Thanks a lot, I am glad you liked the posts.
Dear //M,

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, the Tanot & Longewala option seems more exciting. You spoke about managing permissions. I read up and read somewhere that you can get permissions from the BSF post in Tanot after you show your ID. Also, you are right, I need to be very careful about managing my fuel levels considering mine is a petrol car.

Thanks again.
CaptainSlow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 12:10   #55
BHPian

Weren't you afraid of a flat tyre on the way ? I am from Delhi and my DS500 got stolen on 17 Nov 14. I had bought it on 2 Jan 2014. I am thinking of buying a DS500 again but I need to travel Delhi to Noida to my office but the fear of a flat tyre & getting stuck on road alone keeps me from buying it.
Old 10th March 2015, 17:29   #56
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Weren't you afraid of a flat tyre on the way ? I am from Delhi and my DS500 got stolen on 17 Nov 14. I had bought it on 2 Jan 2014. I am thinking of buying a DS500 again but I need to travel Delhi to Noida to my office but the fear of a flat tyre & getting stuck on road alone keeps me from buying it.
Yes flat tyres are a big pain. While I can fix a puncture with a little help, riding solo and fixing a puncture is really painful specially if the temperatures are high and humid.

Thankfully my DS500 has never let me down in any such situation till date. It has been a very hearty companion with only 2 punctures in the 31000 kms of ownership.

Tubeless tyres are fairly easy to fix, I have been toying up with the idea to get tubeless tyres and alloys for my bike, but somehow never liked any alloy wheels on an Enfield. Spoked wheels and tubeless tyres are a mismatch so currently riding on tube-type tyres only.

I have been planning to get a Bonneville since a long while, to cater to my highway runs. Waiting for my finances to fall into place. A Bonneville has tubeless tyres and a far more comfortable seat for long distance riding. If you can stretch your budget (I know its almost 4 times the price of a Desert Storm), do take a look at the Bonny too.
Old 10th March 2015, 17:49   #57
BHPian

Excellent travelogue //M. Your narrative skills and pictures made a wonderful treat. I am getting tempted to do a solo ride and also to take pictures with a RE Desert storm. Thanks for sharing.
PISTONS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 23:23   #58

Hi, trying to find the latest on the road conditions between Mumbai and Bhuj.

Planning to take a short break during Diwali (I try to get out of Mumbai which gets highly polluted by maddening use of crackers!!).

Heard, the road till Ahmedabad is a breeze and then to Bhuj should be relatively ok, if not the same. Though I would like to do a morning-evening to Bhuj in my Q3 (the guy is new born and has amazing pedigree) but would like to relax at any place that's close to nature.

Any suggestions, and also while in Bhuj, places to motor around (4 hours one way)?. I plan to be in the town for 4 nights and 1 or 2 nights in desert tents,well in time before the great Utsav starts in Great Rann.

Note from Support: Post edited for grammar & spacing. Please avoid using excessive dots in your posts. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2015 at 00:14. Reason: See note.
Old 24th October 2015, 16:59   #59
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri1101 View Post
Hi, trying to find the latest on the road conditions between Mumbai and Bhuj... Planning to take a short break during Diwali ( I try to get out of Mumbai which gets highly polluted by maddening use of crackers!!).. Heard, the road till Ahmedabad is a breeze and then to Bhuj should be relatively ok, if not the same... Though I would like to do a morning-evening to Bhuj in my Q3 ( the guy is new born and has amazing pedigree) but would like to relax at any place thats close to nature.. Any suggestions and also while in Bhuj , places to motor around ( 4 hours one way ).. I plan to be in the town for 4 nights and 1 or 2 nights in desert tents... well in time before the great Utsav starts in Great Rann...
The road is excellent, I recently did a 15 hour drive from Pune to Udaipur via Mumbai and Ahmedabad including a 2-hour stop at the Auto World in Ahmedabad and almost 2 hours wasted at the Bharuch bridge traffic snarl.

The only issue in this route is the Bharuch bridge, both in NH-8 and through the town. I have used both the bridges on various occasions and its difficult to predict which route to take as both are infamous for massive traffic jams.

Near Bhuj, you may visit the Mandvi Beach or the Dholavira town. Also you may take the Q3 for a sprint on the Dwarka - Somnath - Diu route and enjoy some lovely seaside views. Diu Fort and Sasan Gir forest are also worth a dekko !
Old 24th October 2015, 23:40   #60

Hi M, thats a good start up. I have swapped the desert tent programme with a two day stay at Gir.

I will cover Somnath, which is about 80 KM south ... still going to Diu which is further south east could eat into the timings but worth the seaside drive.

Yet waiting for some feedback, as i would not like to hurt the back of my spouse by a 13 hours stretch (planning one for Mangalore-Mumbai in November end though) on place to stay between, Vadodara, Anand, outskirts of of Ahmedabad or even Surendra Nagar, if it makes sense after a 9 hour drive.

Note from Support: Post edited for grammar & spacing. Please avoid using excessive dots in your post. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 25th October 2015 at 00:14.

Most Viewed