Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2014, 19:27   #1
BHPian

Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!

Stats:

Total distance covered: 1213 kms
Total time: 70 hrs
Total weight: ~135 kgs (2 people)
Route: Pune-Satara-Kolhapur-Nipani-Ajra-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim-Madgaon-Palolem-Dharwad-Belgaum-Kohlapur-Satara-Pune
Average: ~50 kms/ltr when driven sedately at 70-80 km/hr; ~35 kms/ltr when engine was pushed all the time and the speed range was between 80-110 km/hr
Top speed: 110 kms/hr

Where it all started:

Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144365.756587.jpg

Where it all ended:

Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144405.239260.jpg

Vespa with luggage:

Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144678.305679.jpgPune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144698.739264.jpgPune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144716.605859.jpg

Some sceneries in between:

Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144780.439030.jpgPune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144833.305895.jpgPune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144880.505714.jpgPune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416144903.756658.jpgPune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416145023.205846.jpg

The road till Nipani was amazing (NH4) and then we took a right turn for Goa. The road initially looked great even though it was single lane; covered with trees. But then from Ajra till Goa it was a very rough patch. I was loosing confidence as it was a total off-road experience. Also, there were frequent slopes (around 30 degrees).
But my vespa came as a winner negotiating a lot of pot holes and bad roads. This was the time when we thought that we aren't coming back via this route. As it is we were going to South Goa which is almost on the Goa- Karnataka border.

Finally the people responsible for this epic trip:

Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416145539.089424.jpg
Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416145585.222588.jpg

Vespa's wear and tear:

1) The rear suspension got a little softer and in low speeds it had a ringing sound. In general the vespa suspension is a boon in city traffic, but on the highways I felt that the suspension should have been stiffer.
After reaching Pune I haven't encountered that sound from the rear suspension.

2) When we were about to reach Goa we felt that the acceleration wasn't as linear as before and there was a gap in acceleration when we were accelerating on a hilly turf. Though I don't feel this after coming back.

One DIY really recommended:

Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1416145963.555745.jpg

We had to fix the back seat as it was causing back aches to the pillion. We just wrapped an unopened Bisleri in a hand towel and fixed it on the back. The result was so soothing and we said good bye to back pains 😄
Waspune is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!

Wow !! That was a great adventure.

But seriously I could not understand the reasons for doing this trip on a Scooter, when there are so many other safer modes of travelling available.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 12:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely travelogue and I got pulled into this the moment I read Vespa (Scooter). Takes me back to those days when I used to ride places Kinetic Honda while in college.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 14:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally you did it! Congratulations!
For me, this is such a confidence boosting travelogue. Thanks for sharing.
How have you hooked the bag at the rear? Can you post pictures of the arrangement please?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 15:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Wow !! That was a great adventure.

But seriously I could not understand the reasons for doing this trip on a Scooter, when there are so many other safer modes of travelling available.

Haha.. After all it was an adventure ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Lovely travelogue and I got pulled into this the moment I read Vespa (Scooter). Takes me back to those days when I used to ride places Kinetic Honda while in college.
Thanks Parag... I myself rode kinetic honda zoom during my MBA. Scooters have a different charm ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
So finally you did it! Congratulations!

For me, this is such a confidence boosting travelogue. Thanks for sharing.

How have you hooked the bag at the rear? Can you post pictures of the arrangement please?

Hi Hemant,

Thanks man!! Even my confidence has reached another level after completing the trip.
Hooking of bag is very simple. Just don't overstuff your duffle bag as it would then cover some part of your tail light which might not be safe in night driving. Then open the seat and hook the bigger strap of the bag to a slot that is next to the opening of the seat. Adjust the strap in such a way that the bag just sits on the tail light. Finally close the seat and you should be good to go..

I will try to post some pics regarding that. Cheers

Mod note: Avoid typing with excessive dots in your post. Thanks!

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th November 2014 at 10:11. Reason: Minor correction.
Waspune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 15:27   #6
BHPian

Having done the same trip last year on my Apache, the roads are great, except the part from Nipani. When returning, I took the Chorla ghat, and riding there was FUN! Took me about 12 hrs each way (Mum-Goa and back).
prateekm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 16:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Hooking of bag is very simple.. Then open the seat and hook the bigger strap of the bag to a slot that is next to the opening of the seat. Adjust the strap in such a way that the bag just sits on the rear headlight..Finally close the seat and you should be good to go..

I will try to post some pics regarding that..Cheers
If I have understood you correctly, you made an arrangement like shown below?

Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!-lock.jpg

That's a nice idea.

Quote:
... rear headlight ...
I guess you meant tail light

Good, I'll now search for a bag with a long enough belt/strap to do this but at the same time, small enough not to block the tail light.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 18:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
If I have understood you correctly, you made an arrangement like shown below?
=======
Good, I'll now search for a bag with a long enough belt/strap to do this but at the same time, small enough not to block the tail light.

You got it perfectly right😄 Yup I meant the tail light. Just order any duffle bag ( the one shown in the pic was from wild craft). In general the length of the strap can be adjusted to suit your need.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 20:20   #9
BHPian

Re: Pune -> South Goa -> Belgaum on a Vespa S!

seriously, on a vespa to Goa !!.. Just reading that it's a trip on a vespa got me into opening this thread. awesome bro; you're inspiring. The back-rest jugaad was awesome.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 15:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
seriously, on a vespa to Goa !!.. Just reading that it's a trip on a vespa got me into opening this thread. awesome bro; you're inspiring. The back-rest jugaad was awesome.
Thanks bro. These kind of jugaads only come in mind when you are in some adversity Another advantage we felt of doing the jugaad was now the pillion was able to sit as recommended by Vespa people..you end up sitting closer to the rider thereby distributing the optimum weight in the footrest.
Old 22nd November 2014, 13:08   #11
BHPian

Great trip! Brings back memories.

A long time ago, in 1993, I drove from Delhi to Goa on a Bajaj Stride. It took us 7 days to reach Goa via Pune. Due to a minor accident we ended up coming back via train though.
Nothing is more fun than riding a scooter but the roads have become so much more crowded now and it has become much more dangerous.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 10:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip, you wrote riding time as 70 hrs, but how much time on the highway? I guess there were a lot of breaks. The back pain usually becomes more pronounced when nearing home
Old 25th November 2014, 16:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice trip, you wrote riding time as 70 hrs, but how much time on the highway? I guess there were a lot of breaks. The back pain usually becomes more pronounced when nearing home
Hi. Well the riding trip wasn't 70 hrs. I meant that the total trip time was 70 hrs We left on a Friday evening and were back by Monday afternoon.
The back pain was at its peak when we were about to reach Palolem (crossing Madgaon). As it is while going to Goa we did not apply that back seat jugaad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Great trip! Brings back memories.

A long time ago, in 1993, I drove from Delhi to Goa on a Bajaj Stride. It took us 7 days to reach Goa via Pune. Due to a minor accident we ended up coming back via train though.
Nothing is more fun than riding a scooter but the roads have become so much more crowded now and it has become much more dangerous.
That would have been a hell of a trip (save for that accident) I just love the idea of an automatic scooter at least in the city. My only gripe is the small tyres which in general makes them more dangerous than other 2 wheelers. On highways a Vespa gts 300 should be dream to drive
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 07:46   #14
BHPian

Awesome mate, I did a trip to Goa in October along the same route, the roads were patchy from Nippani to Amboli .... and Amboli ghat is pretty patchy but did not feel it since I was in he car. I used google maps on the way back and came via Belgaum - road from Goa to Belgaum via Collem, Mollem, Khanapur ... the road from Mollem to Khanapur was atrocious to say the least. I must admit, I would feel safe only in a car, not in a two wheeler!
Old 10th April 2015, 11:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vespa's wear and tear:

1) The rear suspension got a little softer and in low speeds it had a ringing sound. In general the vespa suspension is a boon in city traffic, but on the highways I felt that the suspension should have been stiffer.
After reaching Pune I haven't encountered that sound from the rear suspension.

2) When we were about to reach Goa we felt that the acceleration wasn't as linear as before and there was a gap in acceleration when we were accelerating on a hilly turf. Though I don't feel this after coming back.
Hi, I am a fellow Vespa owner (LX 125) too, and I appreciate your effort. The Vespa looks like a good vehicle to traverse such distances. I was a bit apprehensive about the pot-hole tackling ability of scooters in general, due to their small tires, but your journey is a motivation.

Also, what I have experienced is that when ever the fuel level goes low - beyond the red markings- the acceleration becomes lethargic. Hence I always try to refuel whenever the gauge reached red markings itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks