Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 21:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore

First things first. Congrats to Funkykar for the grand acquisition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Waitaminnut!...This car has among the best sounding exhaust notes from the mass market segment.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=CT-TBG2jgdU
I had spotted this car at Tripunithura near Kochi several times at a road side workshop and I had posted this car at the sticker spotted thread.
I had been to that workshop couple of weeks back and in fact the workshop owner was ecstatic discussing about this car.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th December 2014 at 21:53.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 14:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

The gasket under the head cover was leaking and it was replaced too. The top hose was in very bad condition ever since we started from Nasik. I still wonder how it could withstand the 1100kms. The top hose wasnt available over the weekend and hence the radiator flush and hose replacement was kept pending.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2340648

PPS1 (Premier Padmini was called "PP Car" inside the plant) came in floor mounted as well as column mounted configurations. The floor mounted car had the F4W56A transmission adapted from the 118NE. The column mounted car had the transmission adapted from the NISSAN VANETTE panel van (we had imported a blue van which sat at one sopt for years and got corroded). The vanette transmission had a small rear housing, therefore the propeller shaft of the column mounted car is in two pieces with the center bearing adapted from the 118NE. This is to prevent the propeller shaft approach the whirling speed (Euler's theory of long columns). You can see the center bearing mounting fasteners located on the floor, next to the propeller shaft tunnel. If floor is replaced, this location will be lost and driveline vibrations will start, then no garage will be able to do anything. That's why I don't prefer to buy PPS1 with column mounted gear shift. My LHD is a 1996 model S1 and has the floor shift, we never engineered LHD with column shift. With floor shift, propeller shaft is single piece as the rear housing of the transmission is long enough so no cross member,no center bearing, no problem. Why we did not implement rear housing of floor shift on column shift is a matter of conjecture. That's PAL for you. Has anybody ever listened to a juniormost junior engineer? A big grin smiley is called for here!

Remember this. Of great importance to any S1 owner. Column shift, to be all the more specific.

Does the exhaust throw out water?

As an aside, will you be retaining the South Bombay registration?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 20th December 2014 at 14:46.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 16:15   #48
BHPian

Congratulations on your new acquisition and a 1k drive. Loved the logs, how is S1 now after the long drive? maybe this will be her first long distance drive, would love to see what you are planning to do with the S1 keep the thread alive...
quakerme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 21:18   #49
BHPian

One word.. AWESOME!!!!!!!
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 22:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik What is the wheel rim offset? In Padmini it is +31 mm, in 118NE it is +37 mm.
Sir. Could you please share info about rim widths as well so that we could know the appropriate back spacing required. Thank you.
ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:54   #51
BHPian

Congratulations Sir. It makes me totally nostalgic as this was our first car and i did some driving practice on this model too before moving to Maruti 800. Used to love the pick up of the car and the distinct sound coming of the engine. I try to pick up this black and yellow cab whenever I travel to Mumbai just to get a feel of it.
How is the fuel efficiency. I remember ours used to give at max 10kmpl.
And how is the availability of its spares at aftermarket shops as i am guessing it wont be available now at any of the showrooms / garages ?
Wish you all the best. Enjoy driving.
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:01   #52
BHPian

Excellent Post ! Congrats for the car...made me so nostalgic !

Remembering our 1988 Padmini which we traded for a WagonR in 2012.
Excellent car it was, and now i miss it alot. Came to know that it was scraped later.
Felt a great emotional connect to this post.
i always wanted to a long highway trip in our padmini but was quite young and my fater never allowed. This post brought back all those wishes.

Great Work !!
ashishmathur14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 11:56   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Could you please share info about rim widths as well
Dear Ilangop - Padmini: wheel rim widtth = 3.5 inches (3.5J*14) / offset = +31mm. 118NE: wheel rim width = 4.5 inches (4.5J*13) / offset = +37mm. Therefore, if you fit the 118NE wheel rims on the Padmini, the wheel track will reduce by 12mm (37-31=6, 6+6=12). Please give me the same information for Punto wheel rim. You just have to measure properly, there is no need to refer to any documentation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 15:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ilangop - Padmini: wheel rim widtth = 3.5 inches (3.5J*14) / offset = +31mm. 118NE: wheel rim width = 4.5 inches (4.5J*13) / offset = +37mm. Therefore, if you fit the 118NE wheel rims on the Padmini, the wheel track will reduce by 12mm (37-31=6, 6+6=12). Please give me the same information for Punto wheel rim. You just have to measure properly, there is no need to refer to any documentation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you very much for the details. With the 118 rims sitting 6mm inside than the Padmini rims & 0.5" more wider from each side, isn't there a risk of rim scrubbing the A-arm at steering end positions?
@funkykar, would you be able to measure and share the info from your punto rims? Might be stamped in the inner side of the rim also (Typically Alloy wheels have them stamped).

Last edited by ilangop : 24th December 2014 at 15:28.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 15:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
PPS1 (Premier Padmini was called "PP Car" inside the plant) came in floor mounted as well as column mounted configurations. The floor mounted car had the F4W56A transmission adapted from the 118NE. The column mounted car had the transmission adapted from the NISSAN VANETTE panel van (we had imported a blue van which sat at one sopt for years and got corroded). The vanette transmission had a small rear housing, therefore the propeller shaft of the column mounted car is in two pieces with the center bearing adapted from the 118NE. This is to prevent the propeller shaft approach the whirling speed (Euler's theory of long columns). You can see the center bearing mounting fasteners located on the floor, next to the propeller shaft tunnel. If floor is replaced, this location will be lost and driveline vibrations will start, then no garage will be able to do anything. That's why I don't prefer to buy PPS1 with column mounted gear shift. My LHD is a 1996 model S1 and has the floor shift, we never engineered LHD with column shift. With floor shift, propeller shaft is single piece as the rear housing of the transmission is long enough so no cross member,no center bearing, no problem. Why we did not implement rear housing of floor shift on column shift is a matter of conjecture. That's PAL for you. Has anybody ever listened to a juniormost junior engineer? A big grin smiley is called for here!

Remember this. Of great importance to any S1 owner. Column shift, to be all the more specific.

Does the exhaust throw out water?

As an aside, will you be retaining the South Bombay registration?
Yes, I remember reading this. Not in my control as this is a used car

Never checked if the exhaust spits water. Will see if I can check some time. I dont know if I will retain the MH number. If getting a KA number isnt too difficult, I would get the KA number.

Getting an S1 with column shift couldn't be compromised, and hence we just got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Congrats Karthik on this excellent buy. Wish many wonderful miles on this car. Well written and enjoyed the thread.

By the way there is a service guy close to Arun's home who also does the grease work (same colour grease though)
Thanks KPS!!! Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
The 118 NE. Such pure nostalgia. We were just in college when a friend of mine got one in his family. We were underage then but could not wait to get our hands on the car. We did two trips to Lonavala and back on the Old Pune highway, before we turned 18, with a driver of course. We loved it. it was all Fiat Premier before that for us!

The day we got our licences (we were more or less born around the same time) we ensured the driver sat in the passenger side and did the same road. Wow, each of us took turns. Such a high. Funkykar is the man ! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerme View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition and a 1k drive. Loved the logs, how is S1 now after the long drive? maybe this will be her first long distance drive, would love to see what you are planning to do with the S1 keep the thread alive...
Its doing very well. Yes, will keep this thread active with all possible updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
One word.. AWESOME!!!!!!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
Congratulations Sir. It makes me totally nostalgic as this was our first car and i did some driving practice on this model too before moving to Maruti 800. Used to love the pick up of the car and the distinct sound coming of the engine. I try to pick up this black and yellow cab whenever I travel to Mumbai just to get a feel of it.
How is the fuel efficiency. I remember ours used to give at max 10kmpl.
And how is the availability of its spares at aftermarket shops as i am guessing it wont be available now at any of the showrooms / garages ?
Wish you all the best. Enjoy driving.
Yes, the distinct sound of the 1100 is something to die for. Spares are still available reasonably in Bangalore. Everything is after market though. I did not check mileage within city. NAshik to Bangalore, it delivered a cool 20kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishmathur14 View Post
Excellent Post ! Congrats for the car...made me so nostalgic !

Remembering our 1988 Padmini which we traded for a WagonR in 2012.
Excellent car it was, and now i miss it alot. Came to know that it was scraped later.
Felt a great emotional connect to this post.
i always wanted to a long highway trip in our padmini but was quite young and my fater never allowed. This post brought back all those wishes.

Great Work !!
Super. Do post any pics if you may have.
funkykar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 16:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

After the S1 took a week long rest at my office basement for my Holidays, I will be using it daily from today. Some things I have planned for next few days:

- Replace the accelerator cable (A spring has been installed to push it back to place as it gets stuck, making the pedal bit hard)
- Find and install family lock set (Single key for door, dickey and petrol lid). Anyone knows if its still available?
- Install an USB audio system (Purchased a used DEH 2150UB)
- Install component speakers (DBHPian Parag Sachania is giving it away for free from his ever young WagonR)
- Install rear ovals (Friend giving it to me as he has a pair unused)
- May be an amp (I think I may have one lying at home unused)
- A tuneup some time from hands of BHPian Pavan Kadam's magician Aanji at the BugStop

Sometime this week, need to wash the car and install the Team-Bhp stickers I received over the weekend. Also, got the LTD key chains and put it to S1 and Linea. Which mainstream sticker(s) do you guys suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Loved '97 Premier Padmini S1 - From Nasik to Bangalore-img_20141229_113538.jpg  

funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 21:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometime this week, need to wash the car and install the Team-Bhp stickers I received over the weekend. Also, got the LTD key chains and put it to S1 and Linea. Which mainstream sticker(s) do you guys suggest?
Since the Linea looks modded, let the Got BHP?, and the LTD go onto the boot of the Linea. Just looks wonderful! Do something about the H/Ls BTW. They look positively battered.

Let the PP get the simpler ones. TBHP-LCLC. Paste it onto the leftward side of the boot.

IMO- Only one sticker shall suffice.

How about using it as a daily driver?
Old 30th December 2014, 12:04   #58
BHPian

You guys had all the fun!!! Would have loved to be a part of the Nasik drive and back!!

All the best with the S1 and hope to see it in factory condition soon!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 12:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Since the Linea looks modded, let the Got BHP?, and the LTD go onto the boot of the Linea. Just looks wonderful! Do something about the H/Ls BTW. They look positively battered.

Let the PP get the simpler ones. TBHP-LCLC. Paste it onto the leftward side of the boot.

IMO- Only one sticker shall suffice.

How about using it as a daily driver?
The Linea already has the LTD. For the S1, it cant be simpler stickers for sure. LTD is a default and prime contender for S1 too. I cant find a reason why it shouldnt be installed.

Am not going to do one thing about the head lamps. It lights up the road so beautifully with excellent throw. Just the rings are rusted and will replace.

Its already my daily drive!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
You guys had all the fun!!! Would have loved to be a part of the Nasik drive and back!!

All the best with the S1 and hope to see it in factory condition soon!
We had too little time. Mind was so occupied about the S1, we just couldnt think of people whom we could meet and so on.

Also, one other thing that I did not reveal thus far. This was a secret trip and drive back. Except few friends, no one back home knew about the agenda of our Pune/Nasik trip . This meant being on schedule was of utmost importance. All this coupled with butterflies in our stomach as we had not even seen pics of the S1 we had purchased, we just really missed meeting many many people.
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 14:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Linea already has the LTD. For the S1, it cant be simpler stickers for sure. LTD is a default and prime contender for S1 too. I cant find a reason why it shouldnt be installed.

Am not going to do one thing about the head lamps. It lights up the road so beautifully with excellent throw. Just the rings are rusted and will replace.

Its already my daily drive!!!!
Err...I was referring to the Linea's headlamps. They look a tad cloudy to me.

The fact that you're using the S1 as your daily driver - . Welcome to the daily driver club! I believe @Bulldogji (We bow to thou!) uses a 1954 Dodge and other classics for his daily commute. A heartening sight to say the least!

Our 1100D remains in storage for half the year. The moment the covers are lifted, just after the monsoon, half crank and she gets going.

Reminds me- could you send some pics of the S1's headlight throw?

The Delight requires an full electrical system overhaul. The performance from the 42 year old Made-In-England Lucas 700 H/Ls remains less than satisfactory.

I'm looking for a pair of Cibie Concaves to replace these. Lets see!

So- pics please!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th December 2014 at 14:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks