Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 12:43   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: A trip to the Jewel of the West - Gujarat

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 19th January 2015, 12:57   #32
Team-BHP Support

Congrats for the new phase. Now that also explains, how did you reach 100K on the car. Just used to wonder, who was giving you the permission for all that fun!

Some beautiful snaps there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
"Why Gujarat?!!"
My answer was just a smile
I thought that secret of that smile was that you get to drive to Gujarat from Bangalore. But looks like that secret still remains!

Congrats once again.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 13:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats for the new phase. Now that also explains, how did you reach 100K on the car. Just used to wonder, who was giving you the permission for all that fun!
Thanks! Permission won't be an issue going forward as my better half equally enjoys travelling. Expect the car to munch miles faster then before

Quote:
I thought that secret of that smile was that you get to drive to Gujarat from Bangalore. But looks like that secret still remains!
There was no secret behind the smile. I just didn't know what to reply and hence just smiled
Old 20th January 2015, 08:15   #34
BHPian

Brilliant details, awesome snaps and you must be having unlimited patience. You've crafted it so nicely with all the details. One thing that struck all along your log is cleanliness and an excellent driver.
Welcome to the club and wish you and your better-half clock many more km.
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:10   #35
BHPian

That is a commendable job with the Travelogue and definitely makes me include Gujarat on my list of Places to Visit. It would be great if you can post more details on the bookings as the entire journey seems to be planned without a glitch.
karavadi143 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 12:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karavadi143 View Post
It would be great if you can post more details on the bookings as the entire journey seems to be planned without a glitch.
As I have mentioned in one of the post, we just informed IT Nature Club that we intended to visit Gujarat. Then the entire planning was done by them. Initially they came up with 2-3 plans and shared them with us including the overall cost. The cost included hotel room rent, taxi charges, driver charges, toll charges and parking charges. We selected one of the plan and they shared the itinerary accordingly. They added the flight charges to the overall cost after we finalized the dates. They booked all the hotels, cab and flights in advance. The hotel staff was informed about our check-in and check-out dates, choice of rooms, etc. The cab driver was informed about our destinations and routes. All the expenses were paid in advance. We just had to carry our ID proofs and enjoy the trip
guyfrmblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 20:21   #37
BHPian

Hello, looks you guys had an awesome trip. Gujarat & Rajasthan is on my to-do list and ill driving up North after the summer. I had two questions for you

1. The cave you visited, was the entrance too small/narrow ? I am a bit claustrophobic so was thinking if I should add that in my list.
2. How come you skipped Kutch ?

Anand
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 21:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
1. The cave you visited, was the entrance too small/narrow ? I am a bit claustrophobic so was thinking if I should add that in my list.
It's not that small. Even a well built person can easily get inside without any issues. You won't feel claustrophobic even after getting inside. The cave has many natural ventilators. It's a different feeling inside the cave which must be experienced. If you visit Porbandar, you shouldn't skip this place.

Whereas the entrance of Pandava Gufa at Somnath is very narrow and the atmosphere inside is very suffocating. You can skip this if you wish.

Quote:
How come you skipped Kutch ?
We didn't have time for visiting the Northern part of Gujarat. In fact we have not yet covered many places at Southern part. I'll plan Kutch next time.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 20th January 2015 at 21:58.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 11:19   #39
BHPian

First of all congratulations on your new phase of life and secondly very nicely written travelogue. I liked the part where you repeatedly kept saying "Why Gujrat" and your entire travelogue is an answer to that question. The only thing you missed out is the Gir Lion Safari. You should have made online reservations for permits, the safari is worth seeing. There are numerous travelogues here on team-bhp on Gir.

I am planning a short trip to Gujrat in March with my family and my in-laws and believe me it took me almost a month to convince them to take this trip by car. I wonder why do our families despise travelling by car so much for anything that is more than 200 - 300Kms. I feel much more in control and flexible when I travel by car whether own or rented rather than using public transport.
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 12:20   #40
BHPian

Beautiful travelogue. May I know the cost of the trip other than the airfare.

I too am planning to visit Gujarat and your itinerary looks fine to be followed.
gavinimurthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 14:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

"Why Gujarat ?!"

I smiled; A smile of satisfaction of visiting Gujarat
First of all congratulations on your new phase in life.

Excellent travelogue buddy and I read the whole stuff in one go. Thatz how interesting it was.
SaNdY_AR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 15:50   #42
BHPian

Congratulations on being two from one.
Thank you for posting the snaps and simple description of all the places you went.I do know that Gujarat was worth seeing but was surprised with all the ancient architecture present there.

Really wonder how they managed to make a spiral staircase with stone at the Maqbara in those days .Hope to visit and check all those places in person some day.

P.S.You are threatening Amitabh's brand ambassador job with this trip.
Seventhgear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:07   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, Congratulations and wish you all the best for the new Phase of your life!!

When I checked the first post, I wondered how I missed this Travelogue; Something that I normally don't. Then I learnt its one long, detailed log with superb narration and complementing photographs that went public only 2 days before .

While you headed to Gujarat with your better companion, I started to drive to Gujarat on a regular basis only after I tried knot to a companion who is from from Gujarat .

So that's where it all started - Except on 2 occasions during my wedding, I always drove to Gujarat and I still prefer to do so. I did exactly the same circuit in 2012 (Although I did venture towards Kutch after Dwarka) and will be doing so again in May and your Travelogue is posted at a wrong time!! I am tempted to drive almost this weekend now.

Vegetarian Food in Gujarat:
I would always say the same to most who travel to Gujarat that you would almost & always end up getting the best experience when it comes to Vegetarian food. So for vegetarians, Gujarat can never let you down.

Some of the cities like Rajkot and others in Saurastra region that I have spent days serve Theplas and Tea all through the night and that's a delight!

The beauty called Gandhinagar:
Soon after my engagement I visited Gandhinagar after alighting at the Ahmedabad Airport and was bowled over by the planning that the city has undergone to be where it is today. Excellent management - Roads, Sectors, Gardens, Shopping complexes, Houses! Feels like a pensioner's paradise.

There are excellent POIs in and around Ahmedabad that I visited way back - Adalaj Step Well, Sun Temple at Modhera etc and recently, the city also has some lovely options for Kids near the Kankaria Lakefront at Kids' City that we visited last year during Sankranti.

Last year, It was the first experience of Sankranti and the sight on the streets and terraces was amazing to say the least. People everywhere, all through the day and night.

Sadly, Since I was mostly driving, I had very less photographs from these trips to make a Travelogue.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st January 2015 at 16:12.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 18:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
The only thing you missed out is the Gir Lion Safari. You should have made online reservations for permits, the safari is worth seeing. There are numerous travelogues here on team-bhp on Gir.
I never knew about the online booking and got to know about the same only after reaching there. I was not in a position to stand in the queue at 4 in the morning to buy the permits there as it was very cold. I'll ensure to book online before my next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventhgear View Post
Really wonder how they managed to make a spiral staircase with stone at the Maqbara in those days .Hope to visit and check all those places in person some day.
Yes, Maqbara has amazing architecture. But I observed that Government has not taken any steps to protect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The beauty called Gandhinagar:
Soon after my engagement I visited Gandhinagar after alighting at the Ahmedabad Airport and was bowled over by the planning that the city has undergone to be where it is today. Excellent management - Roads, Sectors, Gardens, Shopping complexes, Houses! Feels like a pensioner's paradise.
Yes, I was really amazed by the way it was planned. The drive from Ahmedabad to Akshardam was through these superb roads. I was banging my head for not taking the car there. Gujarat is one amazing place to drive.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 21st January 2015 at 18:28.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 19:24   #45
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@guyfrmblr - Congratulations and wishing you a very happy married life!
Excellent travelogue, great detail and superb pictures, thanks for sharing
I was wondering it's been some time since we spoke last and realized only after reading this travelogue that the guy from bangalore was actually touring Gujarat after entering the Grihastha Ashram

Excellent planning has gone into the trip, I think it's great for a first time trip to let someone else (competent of course) do all this planning on your behalf.

Last edited by NPV : 21st January 2015 at 19:27.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed