Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2015, 19:55   #16
BHPian

Re: West Bengal - A treasure for tourists

Wow, you have written a West Bengal travel guide right away. Thanks a lot for putting this up. Will be very helpful while deciding where to go. Your experience in travelling(rather exploring!) is evident throughout.
Have you ever been to Chupi(Purbasthali) ? It is an oxbow lake. The main attraction here are the migratory birds which come here for winter stay. The beauty of this place is that it is not overcrowded, which means that you can enjoy nature at its' best.
Will be putting up pics very soon.

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 8th February 2015 at 20:09.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 22:28   #17
BHPian

Excellent pictures! Although most of us, the West Bengal based members of this forum have been to most of these places, your pictures have simply added a new dimension to these places. Thanks a lot for sharing.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 23:16   #18
BHPian

Wow! Kudos to your effort to document these places with excellent images! Have been to some of these places but after reading your post, I can say some of the missed ones would definitely come up in the future.
One word - if you could please add the best time to visit each of the place (knowing how weather conditions are in our state)
redeye10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 00:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Fantastic, fantastic initiative. Not only have you collated the essential information to travel to these (mostly unknown) places, your amazing pics have added desirability to travel. The Durga Puja post is only the icing on the cake. I have been to 7 of the 9 places you have mentioned. But there is no information I can add, and my (bad quality) pics will only spoil this thread .

Please keep it up brother. We (non resident) Bongs will be hooked on to this thread.
Thanks a lot. Your travelogues are always awesome. If you add up few more places over here, that will be really great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
A brilliant and well-executed compilation of the lesser-known tourist places in West Bengal. Tempting pictures too, that make me want to visit a number of these places all over again. Rated 5 stars. You are hereby appointed Team-BHP's honorary representative to the Tourism Department of WB!

One place that I long to go back to (been there once >30 years ago), is Murshidabad.

Edit: And you ought to cover the Jagaddhatri Puja of Chandannagar - would be great to see your pics from there.
Thanks a lot.

I have been to Murshidabad and specially the Hazardwari is a nice place. But unfortunately i do not have those pics and trip data. I went there more than a decade back.

Regarding Jagaddhatri puja i will try to capture the pics and put it up this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Just fantastic and what was missing - a brilliant compilation of some of the best driving destinations around bengal... The pictures as usual are great and makes me want to visit these places soon. Surul and boner pukur makes me long for the durga puja once again. Great work
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Just one word - "SUPERB". I am really out of words to describe your effort. A great initiative and fantastic pics and narration. Rated 5 stars. As Predator has mentioned, with the standard that you have set, it is very difficult for us lesser mortals to add any value to this thread. So the onus is upon you to continue the good work and cover the rest of the paces
Thanks a ton.

I will definitely try to cover up the other places and add up over here but the kind of experience you have , if you share a small bit of it, its going to be immensely helpful for many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Wow, you have written a West Bengal travel guide right away. Thanks a lot for putting this up. Will be very helpful while deciding where to go. Your experience in travelling(rather exploring!) is evident throughout.
Have you ever been to Chupi(Purbasthali) ? It is an oxbow lake. The main attraction here are the migratory birds which come here for winter stay. The beauty of this place is that it is not overcrowded, which means that you can enjoy nature at its' best.
Will be putting up pics very soon.
Thanks brother.

Yes i have been to Purbasthali in 2012 winter to conduct a photography workshop. It was a sort of professional trip and i owe those pics to my client. So sadly i cant share those pics over here. I wanted to go there this year too but couldn't make it. May be we can plan together next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Excellent pictures! Although most of us, the West Bengal based members of this forum have been to most of these places, your pictures have simply added a new dimension to these places. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Thanks a lot Rahul da. You have extensively covered many places of Bengal. If you can share few of them, that will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
Wow! Kudos to your effort to document these places with excellent images! Have been to some of these places but after reading your post, I can say some of the missed ones would definitely come up in the future.
One word - if you could please add the best time to visit each of the place (knowing how weather conditions are in our state)
Thanks a lot.

In the ' Things to look out for ' i have mentioned the best time for few places. And for the places i have not mentioned seemed okay for me to visit through out the year.

Last edited by Samba : 9th February 2015 at 00:46.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 00:54   #20
BHPian

Amazing compilation of destinations and superb pictures like always! I hope this thread will be updated with more locations for us to explore. I find this list on KOW page very helpful:
http://www.kolkataonwheels.com/more-details/drive-outs/
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 11:53   #21
BHPian

This is not just an awesome compilation of short travelogues but a great initiative to let people know the diversified beauty of Bengal!! Completely agree with you on the fact that Bengal has almost everything to offer but we often are unaware of its potential. I personally wish that we come up with much better roads all across these beautiful destinations to make things merrier for us. Once again, Kudos to a great initiative
anirbanz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 13:22   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Great effort there. It is going to be very helpful for people looking for getaways in the region. In fact, it is now going to be my bible on WB tourism, since most of the places will be relatively close to people in Jharkhand too, hence we can find a lot of spots for out outings too

Thanks again.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 13:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent initiative and compilation. Thanks for the same.

One word of caution though, that I would like to mention to Eager Travelers, here:

IT GREATLY SADDENS ME TO SAY THAT, NOTWITHSTANDING THE BEAUTY AND UNIQUE EXPERIENCE WB OFFERS, PLEASE BEWARE OF THE LAW AND ORDER SITUATION IN WEST BENGAL, ESP. RURAL BENGAL.
IT HAS BECOME AN INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE LAST 8-10 YEARS WITH NAXALS/MAOISTS AND CRIMINALS RULING THE ROOST AND GETTING AN ALMOST FREE-HAND. EVEN TIER-2/3 CITIES IN BENGAL ARE WAY MORE UNSAFE AS COMPARED TO ANYWHERE ELSE IN INDIA.

P.S. I am a Bengali and have traveled extensively in WB, in addition to living in Kolkata, off and on.

Last edited by roy_libran : 9th February 2015 at 13:30.
roy_libran is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 13:51   #24
BHPian

Superb thread, rated five stars. The task of documenting all details is humongous, I am sure you will keep the thread alive. The photographs posted add a totally different flavour, excellent would be an understatement. Top class work.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 17:15   #25
BHPian

Superb work Samba. Splendid photographs as usual. I will inform WB tourism about this threat . Rated five stars.

On the Durga Puja post which Rajbari is that? Also please let me know the place of 2nd last photo.
shomshree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 17:27   #26
BHPian

Fantastic thread Samba! Rated a well-deserved 5 stars.

How I wish, what's posted by Roy_libran was untrue, and a Bengali like me who has never lived in Bengal could drive down to explore his native place. Just hope that things improve and I get to explore all these places (and more) in not too distant future.
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 18:27   #27
BHPian

Fantastic compilation and fabulous pictures as always. This thread is one of the best reference read for people travelling within WB. I do agree with SS-Traveller that you are now the resident WB tour consultant for TBHP. Just came back from Shantiniketan yesterday and guess who gave me route and choice of vehicle advice.

Hope you continue your touring and keep this thread updated for us novices. Rated the thread 5 Stars.
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 19:28   #28
BHPian

Stupendous photos and descriptions, Samba. Brings back memories of my childhood and growing up years. Re-seen the photographs for the 3rd time now! Rated the finely deserving 5 stars!
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 19:29   #29
BHPian

Excellent Initiative Samba and off coarse Superb Camera Work as always !!!! I suppose this one is for the Critics who always find nothing to explore in Bengal.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 22:24   #30
BHPian

Well done Samba boss!
Rated 5 stars and the pictures are rated 10 stars. Just amazing!
lovecars21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed