Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 23:30   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: West Bengal - A treasure for tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Amazing compilation of destinations and superb pictures like always! I hope this thread will be updated with more locations for us to explore. I find this list on KOW page very helpful:
http://www.kolkataonwheels.com/more-details/drive-outs/
Thanks a ton & that's a very good link. I just went through it. They have done a great job. Thanks for sharing the link too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirbanz View Post
This is not just an awesome compilation of short travelogues but a great initiative to let people know the diversified beauty of Bengal!! Completely agree with you on the fact that Bengal has almost everything to offer but we often are unaware of its potential. I personally wish that we come up with much better roads all across these beautiful destinations to make things merrier for us. Once again, Kudos to a great initiative
Thanks a lot. Regarding roads, its improving. The places which we can reach by Nh are mostly in good shape except the Nh34. The state highways need improvement and i wonder why these state highways still have these huge road humps!

By the way i just went through your Rajasthan travelogue, its awesome. Rated 5 * to your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Great effort there. It is going to be very helpful for people looking for getaways in the region. In fact, it is now going to be my bible on WB tourism, since most of the places will be relatively close to people in Jharkhand too, hence we can find a lot of spots for out outings too

Thanks again.
Thanks a lot. I planned for Ranchi and Patratu last year but the trip got cancelled. I still have that in my mind, will certainly PM you once i again plan for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Excellent initiative and compilation. Thanks for the same.

One word of caution though, that I would like to mention to Eager Travelers, here:

IT GREATLY SADDENS ME TO SAY THAT, NOTWITHSTANDING THE BEAUTY AND UNIQUE EXPERIENCE WB OFFERS, PLEASE BEWARE OF THE LAW AND ORDER SITUATION IN WEST BENGAL, ESP. RURAL BENGAL.
IT HAS BECOME AN INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE LAST 8-10 YEARS WITH NAXALS/MAOISTS AND CRIMINALS RULING THE ROOST AND GETTING AN ALMOST FREE-HAND. EVEN TIER-2/3 CITIES IN BENGAL ARE WAY MORE UNSAFE AS COMPARED TO ANYWHERE ELSE IN INDIA.

P.S. I am a Bengali and have traveled extensively in WB, in addition to living in Kolkata, off and on.
Thanks a ton.

These problems in rural Bengal has certainly reduced. I have been to Maoist area's like inside Joypur jungle, jongolmahal or Jhilimili near Mukutmanipur or disturbed area like Garbeta. What i have concurred is they are not much bothered about tourists. But in these area's night drive is a strict NO. You never know on what trouble you will land up specially during night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Superb thread, rated five stars. The task of documenting all details is humongous, I am sure you will keep the thread alive. The photographs posted add a totally different flavour, excellent would be an understatement. Top class work.
Thanks a lot dada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomshree View Post
Superb work Samba. Splendid photographs as usual. I will inform WB tourism about this threat . Rated five stars.

On the Durga Puja post which Rajbari is that? Also please let me know the place of 2nd last photo.
Thanks a lot.

The Rajbari is Surul Rajbari in Santiniketan and the last but one pic is from Badhan das's Puja which is done at Sonajhuri Santiniketan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Fantastic thread Samba! Rated a well-deserved 5 stars.

How I wish, what's posted by Roy_libran was untrue, and a Bengali like me who has never lived in Bengal could drive down to explore his native place. Just hope that things improve and I get to explore all these places (and more) in not too distant future.
Thanks a lot.
As i replied few lines above you can travel to these places in day time. Please avoid night drive in rural Bengal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
Fantastic compilation and fabulous pictures as always. This thread is one of the best reference read for people travelling within WB. I do agree with SS-Traveller that you are now the resident WB tour consultant for TBHP. Just came back from Shantiniketan yesterday and guess who gave me route and choice of vehicle advice.

Hope you continue your touring and keep this thread updated for us novices. Rated the thread 5 Stars.
Thanks a ton! Now as you have done a recent trip to Shantiniketan you can share the latest updates on that route better than me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Stupendous photos and descriptions, Samba. Brings back memories of my childhood and growing up years. Re-seen the photographs for the 3rd time now! Rated the finely deserving 5 stars!
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Excellent Initiative Samba and off coarse Superb Camera Work as always !!!! I suppose this one is for the Critics who always find nothing to explore in Bengal.
Thanks a lot dada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
Well done Samba boss!
Rated 5 stars and the pictures are rated 10 stars. Just amazing!
Thanks a lot. Waiting eagerly for your epic Rajasthan travelogue!

Last edited by Samba : 9th February 2015 at 23:31.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 00:51   #32
BHPian

It is often said that the beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. I guess, it would be no exaggeration to say that the same also applies to the lenses of Samba! Simply stunning photographs! Your travelogues brought smiles even in my gloomy mood that I was having today.

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 01:29   #33

Dada, you have captured the length and breadth of our lovely Bengal and those pictures are mind blowing. I have been to a few places and would definitely try and cover the places you have penned down.
Fly8843 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 04:27   #34
BANNED

100 self driven road trips and you have maintained record of each travelogues - fabulous. Excellent pictures and a great travelogue. The way you have narrated is quite interesting and refreshing .
grand@rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 09:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
What i have concurred is they are not much bothered about tourists. But in these area's night drive is a strict NO.
Thanks Samba for suggesting that the law and order situation in Bengal has improved in the recent times.
However, as tourists, on the way to Mandarmani about 2.5 yrs. back, we have been targeted and had to cough up 8k INR to get out. The sum demanded was small, but the danger and threat was very real. However, since the sum is so small, it is also suggestive of the desperation level of such people!
Then again, I have seen Naxals gathering openly near Jhargram (another beautiful destination otherwise), and they didn't exactly seem non-threatening, although they didn't give us much attention.
Let's see, I might think of venturing out again in WB this year end.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 09:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for this informative and detailed thread Dusted few places, got to visit other few, especially the Southern part.

Quote:
we have been targeted and had to cough up 8k INR to get out.
For?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 10:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, as tourists, on the way to Mandarmani about 2.5 yrs. back, we have been targeted and had to cough up 8k INR to get out. The sum demanded was small, but the danger and threat was very real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For?
There is a famous case of the place where one has to take his vehicle from the road on to the beach (enroute to Mandarmoni), and the descent ramp has been misdesigned in a manner that all vehicles get stuck. Then the locals offer to remove the vehicle by asking for a princely sum. I hope yours was not the same case.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 10:26   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
the descent ramp has been misdesigned in a manner that all vehicles get stuck.
Even a 4X4 with proper low ratio?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 10:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For?
Quote:
There is a famous case of the place where one has to take his vehicle from the road on to the beach (enroute to Mandarmoni), and the descent ramp has been misdesigned in a manner that all vehicles get stuck. Then the locals offer to remove the vehicle by asking for a princely sum. I hope yours was not the same case.
Yes I have heard of this case as well, but didn't happen to us when we went. Our hired car hit a stray dog, and the locals surrounded us and demanded payment. It was certainly a stray dog, because no one claimed ownership, but everyone demanded that we pay.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 10:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even a 4X4 with proper low ratio?
No. I recall 1100D's post somewhere that his Scorp didn't get beached.

But as Roy_Libran has already elucidated, the situation was something else. So for now, my earlier post remains only for general information .

@Roy_Libran - This is sad. But let me tell you, even with the lawlessness Bengal is going through now, your case was an exception!

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 10th February 2015 at 10:35.
predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 13:57   #41
BHPian

Excellent thread! Rated *****. I will update the thread with the little scoop of information that I have.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 14:22   #42
BHPian

Very nice documentation of your trips. glad you have the patience to do so. Being married to a Bong, I am often intrigued by the local culture and the picturesque surroundings whenever I visit WB. One thing I notice though - I don't think many Bengalis understand or notice that they live in such beautiful places. For them, it's just home. So, here I am going "ooh.. aaahh" over a mountain or a sunset, and they look at me like I lost my marbles.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 15:06   #43
BHPian

Thanks a lot Sir, a comprehensive report on the part of India which I haven't visited yet. Must say, you've covered quite a few places.

I know who to go to when I visit that part of the country..

mayurpalav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 00:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
It is often said that the beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. I guess, it would be no exaggeration to say that the same also applies to the lenses of Samba! Simply stunning photographs! Your travelogues brought smiles even in my gloomy mood that I was having today.

Cheers,
Thanks a lot! Great to know it brought smiles to your face! Bengal is indeed beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly8843 View Post
Dada, you have captured the length and breadth of our lovely Bengal and those pictures are mind blowing. I have been to a few places and would definitely try and cover the places you have penned down.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand@rao View Post
100 self driven road trips and you have maintained record of each travelogues - fabulous. Excellent pictures and a great travelogue. The way you have narrated is quite interesting and refreshing .
Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Thanks for this informative and detailed thread Dusted few places, got to visit other few, especially the Southern part.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:

No. I recall 1100D's post somewhere that his Scorp didn't get beached.
Yes its like that. The only way to take your car up by not getting stuck is by ignoring the spotting of the locals! They even tried telling me this and that, i simply drove the way i thought i should drive and i just went up in one go without getting stuck!

On the beach there are tricky places where car can get stuck. So never park the car in places where the sand is soft! Always maintain a certain speed on beach driving. Thirdly if i get confused on which side of the beach i should drive i generally follow the local cabs. They bear a number of WB 58. They know the best place to drive. I have driven on this beach a number of times and following these rules i never got stuck.

Quote:
Yes I have heard of this case as well, but didn't happen to us when we went. Our hired car hit a stray dog, and the locals surrounded us and demanded payment. It was certainly a stray dog, because no one claimed ownership, but everyone demanded that we pay.
That is sad and you had a bad luck. You have landed up in the hand of few criminals! If you hit anything on West Bengal road never stop! Be it hen/ goat/ dog/ cow or even a human being. Safest place to stop in case of an accident is police station if your car is still in running condition!

Am adding two of my sour experiences at the end of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Very nice documentation of your trips. glad you have the patience to do so. Being married to a Bong, I am often intrigued by the local culture and the picturesque surroundings whenever I visit WB. One thing I notice though - I don't think many Bengalis understand or notice that they live in such beautiful places. For them, it's just home. So, here I am going "ooh.. aaahh" over a mountain or a sunset, and they look at me like I lost my marbles.
Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Thanks a lot Sir, a comprehensive report on the part of India which I haven't visited yet. Must say, you've covered quite a few places.

I know who to go to when I visit that part of the country..

Thanks a lot. You can contact me any time you want to come to Bengal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Excellent thread! Rated *****. I will update the thread with the little scoop of information that I have.
Thanks a lot. Will eagerly wait for your updates.

In context to the risk factors on driving in Bengal i had two sour experiences in the past 3 years which i have shared earlier in Team bhp. Though i managed to escape both the times without any loss still sharing both of them once again.

1)
Quote:
Sorry for the back to back posts. But i like to share an experience from this journey. As i think it may come handy for others traveling through NH34.

In day 1 when we were stuck in the long traffic congestion at Berhampore, i parked my car on the opposite side of the road (out side the road by not blocking anyone) and got down from the car and was waiting to get things cleared up. Suddenly two guys came in a red Hero Honda Splendor and parked there bike in front of our car. Its a conversation where me those guys , my dad and few locals are involved. The conversation goes like this-

The biker guys- Yes this is the car.

Me- What happened?

The biker guys- You have hit a person before and that man died you have to come with us to the spot.

Me- Replied calmly you guys must have mistaken i am not involved in any kind of accident.

The biker guys- Pointing at my cars registration plate yes this is the car with the same number plate and same color.

Me- Look at my car, is there any kind of sign like dents or damage or blood stain by which you can say i came doing an accident?

The biker guys-We don't want to here anything you have to come to the spot with us.

My dad comes down of the car- Yes we will definitely go with you guys but before that you guys have to come to the local police station with us.

The biker guys- No we wont go to the police station.

Dad- If any kind of accident takes place then police should be involved first , no matter what you guys say or do i will definitely move to the police station first.

Local came up- Supporting my dad yes police station is the right place to go at first.

The biker guys- May be we have mistaken this is not that car which has met with the accident.

Dad- Then how can you guys blame some one without being sure?

The biker guys- Sorry, this is not the car they make another phone cal and say, no that's a white color vehicle and they fled off!

Locals say to us- These guys are here to make some quick money if they succeed to frighten the car owners. They specially target cars moving with families.

Dad and i - Thanked the locals for there help and we left the place.

This incident occurred at 1pm. The whole incident hardly lasted for 5-7 minutes. But it did made an impact on all of us for the next couple of hours. We were lucky we escaped from there cheat business but some how others may become there victim.
2)
Quote:
An incident i want to share on this route.

Well i have not traveled till Delhi by road from Kolkata but i will like to share a small incident which took place on that route. On 1st Jan i was going to Purulia district (gorponchokot, raghunathpur joychandi pahar and baronti) with my family and bhpian tacho9000 (Subhro Mallick). On the way just after crossing Raniganj we stopped our car at a road side dhaba for a cup of tea. Ours was the only car. The place is called Jamuria. The dhaba is a white colored building which has no hoarding and is placed in a 4 lane intersection. As soon as i stopped a man came and started looking inside our car and he took a full round around our car. I had a doubt on that guy so i kept an eye on him. When we were about to leave i just saw he was noting down my car number in his hand. Me my dad and subhro immediately got off from our car and asked him why is he noting our car number. He refused to admit he did so. On forcing him we saw he wrote the number on his hand and on asking he was saying that's a different cars number where as its the same number of our car. Then he told he is a government employee. I asked for his id card and he failed to produce it too. We smelled something fishy. As in the dhaba my dad asked a guy for the direction till Raghunathpur and he followed all the conversation which my dad had with the other guy. So as he already knew our route he might call some others and do some robbery or something like that on the way. So first thing we did was forced him to strike off the number totally and then i took a pic of him and told him if anything goes wrong on the way i will give his pic to the police. And i shared the pic immediately to some of my friends mobile via whats app. As if by any chance he calls a gang or force me to delete the pic so to keep a trace of him i shared it immediately.

So one of the reason may be he was in a mood to fetch some quick money from us or something more bad. Thank god i kept an eye on him so we escaped without any damage. These kind of crooks are becoming a common menace in this highway. So i would suggest every one over here to be a bit careful while traveling in this route. Am sharing his pic over here too, so if he targets any other Bhpian or some one reading the post can be careful.

Attachment 1185564
Samba is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 12:02   #45
BHPian

A well deserved 5 stars to this beautiful thread. Kudos SAMBA!
Having stayed in Kolkata for 6 years, I would say it's a very beautiful place. The chaos has its own charm there.
Samba, the pics, the story and places have come out beautifully in the thread and it was a pleasure going through the travelogue. Many happy miles crunching.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks