Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:05   #181
BHPian

Re: West Bengal - A treasure for tourists

Guys,

Need suggestion for one or two night stay options in Mukutmanipur. Will have children as well as senior citizens in the group.

Thx
Pratim
pratim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 17:18   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
Guys,

Need suggestion for one or two night stay options in Mukutmanipur. Will have children as well as senior citizens in the group.

Thx
Pratim
My personal favourite is the WBFDC Sonajhuri resort. Book Online in advance. For senior citizens, you may book a cottage that is located somewhere near the parking area. For children, the hilltop cottages would be preferable for better views and play areas.
The second option is the Peerless resort that is situated close to the lake.
black_panther is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 11:19   #183
BHPian

VLOG : Ride to Gar Panchkot 2017

VLOG : Ride to Gar Panchkot 2017

Already a lot of useful information has been shared on Gar Panchkot in this thread. Therefore, I will let you jump right into the VLOG without repeating the same details. Hope you enjoy the video.

psurelia is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 00:03   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

THE DENMARK TAVERN (Srirampur)

West Bengal Government decided to renovate the DENMARK TAVERN building at Srirampur. This building was established in 1786 and is located right beside the Ganges. Wbtdc decided to renovate this building and convert it to a cafeteria and hotel. This will be open from April 2018 but people can visit this place now. The history of the town of Srirampur in Hooghly district of West Bengal denotes this place was once under Danish rule.

If anyone is driving on the Old Gt road can just take a 1km detour towards Srirampur court and enjoy this place with a cup of coffee beside the Ganges. History lovers will love this place, plus this can be a Sunday afternoon hangout place too.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-img_8271.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-img_8270.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-img_8268.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-img_8267.jpg

When newbie meets 230+ years of history.
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-img_8269.jpg

Just a minute walk from Denmark Tavern is the St Olave's Church.

Quote:
Locally known as the Danish Church, it was one of the 100 buildings that were constructed by the Danish management between 1755 and 1845, at a time when the town was called Frederiksnagore.
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-img_8266.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 20th March 2018 at 00:05.
Samba is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 00:24   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Samba and our appetite for unusual foods, my wife and I discovered an interesting resort tucked away at the edge of the Joypur Forest in Bankura District, West Bengal. The place is called Banalata Resort - or more accurately, Resort Banalata - and their uniqueness lies in the fact that their restaurant has an alluring menu. But first, a quick look around...

Samba and his ride took us there

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-42k500.jpg

Parking along the highway

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-9k500.jpg

A general look around the frontage of the property

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-1k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-44k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-41k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-2k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-11k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-40k500.jpg

There's even a stall selling fresh vegetables...

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-4k500.jpg

...and eggs from a variety of birds - shouldn't be too difficult to guess which is which!

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-eggsk500.jpg

It was a while past regular lunchtime, and the restaurant wasn't too crowded - which we are told it usually is, and one has to wait to be seated. Our focus of interest was, of course, the menu card...

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur1-8k500.jpg

...and a particularly special section in it!

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur1-9k500.jpg

It took me a while to digest the spelling, and figure out that the Koyal is actually "Quail" and not the Koel (I didn't think that bird was really edible!). The only downside of the menu was that there was only one type of preparation, i.e. "kosha", a typical Bengali curry of meat and potatoes cooked in an onion-ginger-garlic gravy with tomatoes, dahi and mustard oil, with a fiery and spicy flavour.

Since it is the same preparation, the dishes also look exactly the same - the only differentiator being the texture of the meat.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-menuk500.jpg

Some of you might know that we often refer to a Cordon Bleu chef in matters of gastronomy, and we are told that the emu and turkey being game birds, should ideally be cooked rare to preserve the flavour and texture. The quail also should not be overcooked, else it ends up with the meat separating from the bone and blending into the gravy - which is pretty much what happened. The emu was tough and very chewy, and the quail had disappeared into the gravy, leaving the little bones separated out.

Yet, it was an enjoyable meal, especially because we were ravenously hungry, and it gave us the opportunity to boast of having eaten 4 types of bird meat at one meal!

After the lunch, we took a walk around the premises, especially looking at the birds that contributed to our meal

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-birdsk500.jpg

The resort is beautiful inside, with flowers and vegetables as well as interesting works of art (apart from the birdcages!)

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-15k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-16k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-19k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-20k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-30k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-31k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-33k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-34k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-36k500.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-cabbage-broccolik500.jpg

This bored little fellow stared right back at us, and dozed off in the sun after a while!

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-joypur-24.jpg

As a novelty, it was a great day-trip for all of us. The next time we travel that side, my wife is more interested to visit Bishnupur to buy some more sarees for herself!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd April 2018 at 00:27.
SS-Traveller is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 11:56   #186
BHPian

Thanks SS-T for reminding of an overnighter at the same place almost a couple of years ago. Katla was fresh out of the pond and the 'desi' chicken - even though a little hard and bony was tasty enough. Rice from their own fields and I had a photo of my son clicked at the "dheki". Some photos.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-0001.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-0003.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-0004.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-0005.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-0007.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-0009.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-0013.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thanks to Samba ....my wife and I discovered an interesting resort tucked away at the edge of the Joypur Forest in Bankura District, West Bengal.

Last edited by sayakc : 2nd April 2018 at 12:07.
sayakc is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 03:44   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

West Bengal Government decided to renovate the DENMARK TAVERN building at Srirampur. This building was established in 1786 and is located right beside the Ganges. Wbtdc decided to renovate this building and convert it to a cafeteria and hotel. This will be open from April 2018 but people can visit this place now. The history of the town of Srirampur in Hooghly district of West Bengal denotes this place was once under Danish rule.
Looks like a lovely place!

Quote:
History lovers will love this place, plus this can be a Sunday afternoon hangout place too.
I think I read somewhere on this forum that you do not like history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
and their uniqueness lies in the fact that their restaurant has an alluring menu.
Yes, the food is superb and thanks to Samba for suggesting this place to us as well. I made a mistake of looking at the birds first, so could not eat the Emu. The "Posto Bora" and "Rasagolla" are also fantastic. The size of the "Rasagolla" reminded me of Satyajit Ray's film Gupi Gayen Bagha Bayen
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 21:33   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you correct its location on Google Maps please? Right now it is hilariously wrong. (You will have the geotagged pics which Google will accept as proof).

In fact for most places you mention, if you find it is not marked/ wrongly marked on Google maps, could you correct it please. Community service for good karma! If you object to enriching a greedy corporate, try OSM.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 11:53   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Dear Sutriptada,
I am not sure if this is the correct and suitable thread to discuss anything about Nepal travel but I did just that. Last week I was in Darjeeling for four days. The weather was nice and I decided to enter Nepal via Pashupatinagar and come out from there by Kankravitta (near Naxalbari, Siliguri). I was accompanied by my wife and daughter. After entering Nepal I had to pay three hundred Indian rupees for the “Bhansar” document, which was essential for car travel inside Nepal. I was given three papers and a number plate, though it was just a small drive. I had to surrender one paper and my number plate while coming out from Nepal.
I hope I shall be excused for showing few pictures with my post, though most of the pictures were taken outside West Bengal.
Thanks for reading,
Regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.
Hello Rahul,

That was a great write-up / photologue. And the documentation details needed for stepping into Nepal that you provided are greatly appreciated. This bit was hilarious - "Note : In case of any embarrassing endavour by any police personal......"! I guess Sarkari documents are the same all over South Asia.

Once again thanks for the write-up & photographs.

Regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 23:18   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If anyone is driving on the Old Gt road can just take a 1km detour towards Srirampur court and enjoy this place with a cup of coffee beside the Ganges. History lovers will love this place, plus this can be a Sunday afternoon hangout place too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Could you correct its location on Google Maps please?
I see that the location has been corrected. Thanks.

I asked a local about the Danish Tavern. He said it is not yet operational. And that the person running the restaurant in the court premises is also going to run it.
But I've also found that locals can be highly unreliable when it comes to local events!

If one takes a detour into Serampore (old spelling), the college should also be on the itinerary.

The buildings in Chandanagore were also being spruced up. Any news? What about the entry gate? Also Uttarpara library?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:59   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I asked a local about the Danish Tavern. He said it is not yet operational.
Yes, it's true. We went there on 22nd April '18 & it was closed. Civil work was on. Supervisor mentioned an end June'18 opening. They are also making provisions for lodging facilities alongwith a bar license

Quote:
And that the person running the restaurant in the court premises is also going to run it.
No, this person is not interested. In fact he runs a very nice Bengali food restaurant called "Bhetoh" inside the court premises. We spoke to him at length. Genial gent with a huge amount of passion for all things culinary & having worked extensively in the F&B industry in India & abroad.
According to him, the demands for Tavern facilities from its masters,( the Tavern is a JV between the Danish Cultural ministry & WB Tourism), are too high to make the operation viable from a profitability point of view. Hence he has pulled out of the project and the authorities will possibly be going in for a re-tendering process to find new takers.

Incidentally, we had lunch at "Bhetoh" & i must say the food quality, quantity and pricing were very impressive!

Last edited by arjab : 23rd April 2018 at 16:03. Reason: spelling and punctuation errors corrected
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 19:16   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
In fact he runs a very nice Bengali food restaurant called "Bhetoh" inside the court premises.
I think it was spelled 'Vheto'. Remember it because 'V' is unusual in Bengali.

Wish they would get some proper furniture instead of the plastic ones.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 19:04   #193
BHPian

Visited Jhargram over the last weekend and stayed at the WBTDC, Jhargram Rajbari complex. I was pleasantly surprised by the facilities. The furnitures, rooms, staff behaviour and the entire facility was awesome and I will go out on a limb and and say I wouldnt have expected these five years back.
West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6159.jpg
Enroute Jhargram from Lodhashuli

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6179.jpg
Inside WBTDC Jhargram

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6248.jpg
The Rajbari complex

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6252.jpg
Towards Dulung river (next morning)

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6265.jpg
Villages enroute Dulung river

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-compressed.jpg
Sumptuous fod served at WBTDC, Jhargram

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6234.jpg
The Dulung River

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6150.jpg
Heat was fierce in the morning and after reaching we had some chilled beverages, followed by an authentic Bengali lunch (Rice,dal,alu bhaja,mutton kosha,jhinge posto,chutney) and an hours nap.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6151.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6156.jpg
4ish in the evening when we were preparing to leave for the Dulung River (12 kms away), the weather turned stifling and humid. A quick cup of tea later as we were speeding through the rural roads and a few forests, a shade of darkness that made it look like night - the darkness of an impending storm.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6268.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6269.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6281.jpg

From the Kanaka Durga Mandir, its a short walk to the Dulung river and just as we neared the clearing, appeared the sandy, brownish shores of the stagnant, greenish Dulung river. For a moment as we stood, there appeared too much light and there was a rise in the wind - a cold, seeping wind that punctured the heat and a deluge - a much needed one sending delicious shivers down the spine. The cicadas were crying through jungle, the smell of a new rain rose from the parched earth and the rain drops on the river brought back memories of paper boats of the child hood. We felt, as if, we were living in the promised land!

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6137.jpg

For accommodation one can also stay at the WBFDC, Jhargram - more scenic (refer to Golam's travelogue on Jungle mahal). Theres another one, Kaushalya Heritage on the outskirts - that too is good (a friend had stayed here).

Last edited by sayakc : 13th May 2018 at 19:20.
sayakc is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 06:27   #194
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Visited Jhargram over the last weekend and stayed at the WBTDC, Jhargram Rajbari complex. I was pleasantly surprised by the facilities. The furnitures, rooms, staff behaviour and the entire facility was awesome and I will go out on a limb and and say I wouldnt have expected these five years back........For accommodation one can also stay at the WBFDC, Jhargram - more scenic (refer to Golam's travelogue on Jungle mahal). Theres another one, Kaushalya Heritage on the outskirts - that too is good (a friend had stayed here).
Hello sayakc,

That was a wonderful and soothing piece! And the photographs too captured and conveyed the mood of the journey and the surroundings. I'll add the place & the Rajbari complex to my bucket list. Being attached to good food, I'm always on the lookout for places that promise a decent meal!

Regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 17:51   #195
BHPian

Weekender In Tajpur

The only reason that I took up to writing this trivial visit to Tajpur was to brush up my 'travelogue' writing skills that have been suffering of late...and I can only begin from the point when my driving license was suspended for a period of 3 months.

And that meant, renting a vehicle was the only viable alternative to travel somewhere nearby. So, on a recent weekend, a friend of mine and me along with our families were travelling along the known road towards Tajpur with a usual pit stop at Kolaghat.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6544.jpg
Fishermen - story told in this blog later.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6555.jpg
Dead branches on the beach.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6584.jpg
Fried pomfret

When we reached Mallicka Resort at Tajpur it was a quarter past 1 in the afternoon and drizzling. The pond of the resort, which was up to the brim last year, had dried up. But with the drizzle increasing to a downpour now, we chose to sit on the recliners to unpack the goodies that we had loaded at Kolaghat.After the rain had ended, a short while after 2:30 PM , we went to the sea shore.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6542.jpg
Coconuts hang down from the ceiling of the shack.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-fried-fishes.jpg
Fried fishes.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-compressedcollage.jpg
Food, people, kids, curries - almost everything that summarized the trip.

I am not a sea loving person, but I do love the balmy breeze that blows off from the sea, at times almost unrelenting and never ending and sometimes smelling of the catches of the fishing liners blowing in the horizon. So, after spending just under an hour sea bathing, I returned to the shack, sitting on a highly malleable plastic chair watching the others take a dip in the sea and then looking at the moist-from-the-waves gravels on the sea shore shimerring in the yellow rays of the just-after-the-rain evening sun and sipping onto the cold beverages and fried eggs, followed by fried prawns that were just ordered.

A short while later, when darkness was almost descending and my companions had returned, we saw a couple of fishermen walking across to the shack carrying their paltry catch of the day in the fishing nets - 4 parsheys*. The tropical sun had tanned their faces brown and the high tide and monsoonal storms had kept them confined near the beach.Bad day for business, but thats how monsoons usually are.They sold us those fishes and also obliged for a photograph.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6507.jpg
Flowers at the resort.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6509.jpg
Rain water clinging onto fruits.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6535.jpg

A leisurely visit has a generally agreed upon objective: which is, having a good time. And sitting in that shack, sipping onto the cold beer in those paper glasses and munching onto the from-the-nets-to-the-table parshey* fries was a scene that we hadn't foreseen. I had presumed it to be the 'high point' of the journey. But then there were further unforeseen scenes. Like, I pedalled a rickety old bicycle after more than twelve years, through the darkness of the casaurina trees and the night, with barely anything visible. And that was followed by a meal of country chicken cooked in a wood fired oven. The red gravy and the fiery taste of the chicken curry still lingers as I write.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20180708_100417.jpg
Breakfast at resort.Luchi, subzi and omelette (below)

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-20180708_100427.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6521.jpg

The next morning after checking out from the hotel, we reached the same shack and under the same bamboo shade and seated in the same chairs and it was just like the scene from yesterday - excepting that the sun was stronger. Beverages were in abundance, but we had to be back home. So, like everything, this fun too needed an ending. After a lunch of Rice, dal,cucumber-onion salad, alu bhaja and pomfret jhal# we boarded the car for the road home.

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6540.jpg

West Bengal - A treasure for tourists-_dsc6595.jpg
Quite a few of these shacks are roofless now. Probably this being 'off season'

*Parshey: A type of fish
#Jhal: A type of curry made with tomato, onions etc.

Distance: 180 kms from Kolkata
Accommodation: Mallicka Resort
Reviews:
I had been to this resort in 2017 and 2018 - listed below:

Trip Advisor: Review 2018
Trip Advisor: Review 2017
sayakc is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed