Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:11   #16
BHPian

Great Travelogue !

Shubhodeep,

Beautiful travelogue and great pictures ! Bravo !

This brought back a flood of memories - I spent two weeks each in the summers of 2003 and 2004 and I spent these two weeks walking in and around Almora. Each morning I picked a direction and walked till midday, wherein I turned around and retraced my steps (sometimes not, for it was as beautiful when you got lost !). It was great for the mind and soul ( not to mention the system too - I was fitter, hungrier and slept sounder !).

Kumaon, IMO is the more beautiful of the two divisions in Uttarakhand, though for the folks in NCR, it is a tad farther than Himachal. I intend going there again in beginning of April, may bike up to Munsyari from Haldwani and seek some solitude.

Once again - great travelogue !

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 00:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Writing with my feet - How I traversed the hills of Kumaon on foot

Splendid pictures, and sweet words. Made me feel like I was there. You're very lucky to traipse through such wonderful lands.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 16:06   #18
BHPian

Hello Subhodeep,

I am in complete awe of your thoughts and especially the "walking back to life" thought that you associated with the thread. Nature that is raw and primal touches deep inside the cluttered mind.And whereelse can you get that feeling better than the Himalayas.
Anyway, I don't want to digress further!

Rated your thread 5*.

P.S. - I am still trying to formulate a reply to your IM. But will send one shortly.

Regards,
Sayak

Last edited by sayakc : 24th March 2015 at 16:07.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 17:04   #19
BHPian

Beautiful photos and wonderfully written. This is exactly what trips to the hills should be, rediscovering oneself in the serenity. I find strolling in the mountains the best way to explore them.
Also your photographs are awesome, even in the other thread on south India. All with the 50 mm?
A great Travelogue indeed and a feast for our eyes !!

Regards,
Shanto
shantonob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 21:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Amazing write up, literally felt as though I was in those places that you have so magnificiently captured. You have a great gift of writing, keep it going. I chanced upon your previous write up too, enjoyed both. Keep writing and inspiring.
Thank you sir for going through both the travelogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
My god.. this place is beautiful.

And to have captured that beauty in photos is even more beautiful. Excellent clicks.

5 star effort my friend.
The Himalayas have always been a beautiful place, beyond words. Thanks for the 5 stars, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Shubhodeep,

Beautiful travelogue and great pictures ! Bravo !

This brought back a flood of memories - I spent two weeks each in the summers of 2003 and 2004 and I spent these two weeks walking in and around Almora. Each morning I picked a direction and walked till midday

Once again - great travelogue !
Bravo to you too! I too do the same thing often. Just pick a direction and keep hiking. Sometimes, we have to lose ourselves in the middle of nowhere to find ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Splendid pictures, and sweet words. Made me feel like I was there. You're very lucky to traipse through such wonderful lands.
Thank you so much sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Hello Subhodeep,

I am in complete awe of your thoughts and especially the "walking back to life" thought that you associated with the thread. Nature that is raw and primal touches deep inside the cluttered mind.And whereelse can you get that feeling better than the Himalayas.
Anyway, I don't want to digress further!

Rated your thread 5*.

P.S. - I am still trying to formulate a reply to your IM. But will send one shortly.

Regards,
Sayak
Firstly, thanks a lot for the 5 stars. I second each of your words, and who can judge it better than you. Your Goecha La travelogue is beyond words.
Thanks for going through this thread and leaving a reply. I will wait for the reply to my PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Beautiful photos and wonderfully written. This is exactly what trips to the hills should be, rediscovering oneself in the serenity. I find strolling in the mountains the best way to explore them.
Also your photographs are awesome, even in the other thread on south India. All with the 50 mm?
A great Travelogue indeed and a feast for our eyes !!

Regards,
Shanto
Exactly sir. The best way to explore the mountains, is on foot. Thank you for the appreciation.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Did you walk cross country from Almora to Ranikhet?

Btw, I am planning to drive down to Eastern Kumaon in late Mar. Full moon is on June 2, so planning Khuliya Top hike (near Munsiyari) around that time.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 24th March 2015 at 22:23.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 08:48   #22
BHPian

Now thats what i call an amazing travelogue. Beautiful pictures, even more beautiful narration. I have been to Kumaon once, and the tranquility you find in those trees is something very difficult to express. This is a must visit place in India. No doubt Jim Corbett could never leave this place. Thanks for sharing man.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 11:57   #23
Aum
BHPian

Amazing journey, lived it through you eyes(read photos), thanks for sharing.
Aum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pictures and narration.
Some of those pictures made me stare at them for long time and found me getting lost in thoughts

5 stars Absolutely
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 13:16   #25
BHPian

Believe me I haven't read much of your writing here yet but before I read the travelogue, let me congratulate you for these brilliant pictures. You have a great taste of photography and whatever photoshop (guessing) you've done on them worked so well. I wish I could take shots half as good as yours.

Edit: Just a stupid question though. I've been to kumaon a year ago and frankly I was a bit afraid going into the forest because of so many stories I heard from the locals about tendua (leopard). So how did you manage to go into the forest alone without being scared.

Last edited by Carpainter : 25th March 2015 at 13:22.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 14:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Did you walk cross country from Almora to Ranikhet?

Btw, I am planning to drive down to Eastern Kumaon in late Mar. Full moon is on June 2, so planning Khuliya Top hike (near Munsiyari) around that time.
Yes Nilanjan, I had walked cross country from Almora to Ranikhet. The distance is some 40kms, and can be comfortably done in 2 days by any seasoned trekker.

Khuliya top on a full moon night would be magical. Would be waiting for your pictures. When do you plan to go there exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Now thats what i call an amazing travelogue. Beautiful pictures, even more beautiful narration. I have been to Kumaon once, and the tranquility you find in those trees is something very difficult to express. This is a must visit place in India. No doubt Jim Corbett could never leave this place. Thanks for sharing man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aum View Post
Amazing journey, lived it through you eyes(read photos), thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much Dieselritzer & Aum. Yes indeed, the tranquility of Kumaon has something very different in it. I especially have very good experiences with the locals of Kumaon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Wonderful pictures and narration.
Some of those pictures made me stare at them for long time and found me getting lost in thoughts

5 stars Absolutely
Lalu sir, feels great to receive words of appreciation from such a master traveler and roadtrip guru like you. It means a lot. Thank you so much for going through the log and leaving in your thoughts. And thanks for the 5 stars too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Believe me I haven't read much of your writing here yet but before I read the travelogue, let me congratulate you for these brilliant pictures. You have a great taste of photography and whatever photoshop (guessing) you've done on them worked so well. I wish I could take shots half as good as yours.
Thanks a lot for those lovely words. I'm sure your shots too would be unique and beautiful in it's own way. I would love to go through your shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Edit: Just a stupid question though. I've been to kumaon a year ago and frankly I was a bit afraid going into the forest because of so many stories I heard from the locals about tendua (leopard). So how did you manage to go into the forest alone without being scared.
It would be a lie if I'd tell that I wasn't scared at all. I was, albeit very little. Frankly speaking, a little bit of fear does wonders for you. It keeps you alert every single moment. And being alert and keeping all your sense organs on full throttle is the key to survival in the jungles.

The leopards, in general are shy creatures and are also quick to duck undercover at the first sight of humans. The leopards that have for all their life stayed in the forest are of no harm to humans. The problem arises only when humans capture leopards from one place and shuffle them around another countryside as casually as a deck of cards. This is a common practice, and these traumatized bunch of leopards then create man-eaters. Resident leopards are pitted against released ones, and mothers struggle to protect their cubs from strange males. The result? A population of traumatized leopards attacking people.

Last edited by RevvMusic : 25th March 2015 at 14:07.
RevvMusic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 16:19   #27
BHPian

When you live in a concrete jungle you tend to forget how absolutely varied and photogenic India is. From ski slopes to deserts to tiger reserves, we truly have a nation which affords photo-ops at almost every other corner. If only we had great infrastructure, imagine the potential for tourism not just for domestic but also for foreign tourists. I remember I was so freaked out during my drive to Auli. It was mesmerizing but calling some sections "roads" would be stretching the definition. One seeing me buckle my seat belt - the driver was surprised - "pahadon mein koi nahin pehenta" - was his refrain. I guess if your car is going to tumble a few thousand feet into the ravine, the seatbelt might not mitigate much. Anyhow, kudos to the poster - the pictures are great and a fine ode to a beautiful part of our country. The travelogue makes me want to book tickets and go on my next break to this place.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 22:04   #28
BHPian

I'm out of superlatives to describe the way you've captured the beautiful Kumaon hills in your lenses. You've not just clicked the picture. You've clicked the essence of it.

I was always fascinated by the Kumaon hills ever since I happened to read Jim Corbett's famous book based on his experiences in these hills. This was during my high school years. Made a resolve that I will visit Kumaon at some point in my life, solo. Sadly, it faded away as I became older.

Looking at these photographs, it seems to have brought back a lot of memories (I've grown up in exactly similar areas) and re-ignited my dream. This, my friend, is the best compliment I can give you. I shall undertake my journey, soon, once I get my priorities sorted.

Rated 5 stars. Not because this thread deserves it. Because this thread commands it.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 22:26   #29
BHPian

The photography is majestic as almost everybody has commented, but I want to also say how superb your writing is too. The prose, at times, transcends into sheer poetry. Wonderful reading.

If you write more travelogues like this, I fear that we may have to rechristen this forum Brake Feet Power
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 23:29   #30

It's absolutely an awesome experience to read your journey which makes me feel more closure to nature. The pictures are thoughtful and captures the essence of the beautiful land. I have always believed that to get close to nature you need to walk hand in hand with nature which you have done exaclty and I congratulate you for the decission.Rated a wel deserved 5 star.
Fly8843 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed