Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 10:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf

Excellent post! Nice write up! I liked your Golf and my guess is that it is Golf 4? I would say it is the most stunning looking Golf version ever. The alloys on your car looks awesome.
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 21:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Excellent post! Nice write up! I liked your Golf and my guess is that it is Golf 4? I would say it is the most stunning looking Golf version ever. The alloys on your car looks awesome.
Hello Joe,

Thank you so much for your generous comment.

Yes this is the mk4 gti. I too like this version of golf over all the other versions. The mk7 looks good as well, but for me this car is very simple but elegant. I also like the alloys. The best as compared to any other golf. To sum it up: a poor man's joy
Old 31st March 2015, 10:24   #18
BHPian

Hey,

Welcome to may sasuraal. I went up Jebel Jais last year in my M5, it was indeed a blast. The road surface is excellent and the twists and turns are amazing.

May I suggest you drive from Maliha to Hatta via the Shj Kalba road, you will be very pleased with the twists there as well.

Also try Tawian, which is quite unexplored, but of course yours truly has been there.

And take good care of your Golf my friend, it will give you back all the love you spalsh on it.
Kn1ght1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 10:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kn1ght1941 View Post
Hey,

Welcome to may sasuraal. I went up Jebel Jais last year in my M5, it was indeed a blast. The road surface is excellent and the twists and turns are amazing.

May I suggest you drive from Maliha to Hatta via the Shj Kalba road, you will be very pleased with the twists there as well.

Also try Tawian, which is quite unexplored, but of course yours truly has been there.

And take good care of your Golf my friend, it will give you back all the love you spalsh on it.
An M5 Of course it should have been a blast. I am booking a TD the next time we meet.

Thank you for the pointers. I have heard great things about Shj - Kalba road. Definitely want to drive through them roads. Any more suggestions are very much welcome. I am hearing Tawian for the first time, will see when and how I can explore that place.

The Golf is mechanically perfect at this point of time. Amazing car it is, no doubt!

Cheers!

There is a meet happening (planning happening). Let me just point you to that thread quickly.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3679160
Old 9th April 2015, 13:26   #20
BHPian

Hey Pravstar and Voyageur, thanks for the comments.

These are just the two of the three places we went searching across the mountains.

There was a failed attempt going to Al Shoaib (oman) in which we ended up playing ringa-ringa roses between UAE and Oman and finally to save face checked up on the UAE border fence :-p

The rest of the trips were more off dune bashing.

But you can always be sure, that you would always find humans in the remotest places.

Tragedy of being a amateur offroader & photographer is that your vehicle's action pics are limited to one or two out of 100 pics.

So here's a couple of pics of dunebashing pics

Pic 1 is actually interesting since camel came back from it's walk i guess and instead of waiting for the care-taker to open the gate, it tried to open the gate itself.

Pic 5 was taken when the pathfinder (P) tried to tow the Tahoe (T)...it ended up taking flight. The next attempt was worse, the shackle got free when P was pulling T and made us do PT in order to save our G*T*.

(Admins:- Please let this one go...the rhyme was too good to pass out on )

The best part about dune bashing is getting last pic
Attached Thumbnails
Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-img_2044.jpg  

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-1img_0294.jpg  

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-1img_0331.jpg  

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-1img_1203.jpg  

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-1img_1211.jpg  

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-1img_6072.jpg  

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-1img_6160.jpg  

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-1img_6412.jpg  

Last edited by roshan_cruise : 9th April 2015 at 13:27. Reason: deleted a word
roshan_cruise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 15:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshan_cruise View Post
Hey Pravstar and Voyageur, thanks for the comments.

These are just the two of the three places we went searching across the mountains.

There was a failed attempt going to Al Shoaib (oman) in which we ended up playing ringa-ringa roses between UAE and Oman and finally to save face checked up on the UAE border fence :-p

The rest of the trips were more off dune bashing.

But you can always be sure, that you would always find humans in the remotest places.

Tragedy of being a amateur offroader & photographer is that your vehicle's action pics are limited to one or two out of 100 pics.

So here's a couple of pics of dunebashing pics

Pic 1 is actually interesting since camel came back from it's walk i guess and instead of waiting for the care-taker to open the gate, it tried to open the gate itself.

Pic 5 was taken when the pathfinder (P) tried to tow the Tahoe (T)...it ended up taking flight. The next attempt was worse, the shackle got free when P was pulling T and made us do PT in order to save our G*T*.

(Admins:- Please let this one go...the rhyme was too good to pass out on )

The best part about dune bashing is getting last pic
That's some amazing pics. I have never been on a dune bashing session yet. Maybe no access to 4x4 has made me more of a road trip goer.

I think the FJ's do a good job in the desert. One of my colleagues FJ flying through the dunes. He posted it on FB and I stole it from there. Copyright to him / owner of the pic.

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-10888547_850567585007506_5291136218973837547_n.jpg

He was staring at this page, thank god that image doesn't show any thumbnails in this editor.

Cheers!
Old 12th April 2015, 18:38   #22
BHPian

Hey Voyageur,

There are lots of clubs which go dune bashing, every Friday. (I am more of occasional offroader).
Check out Knightriders UAE on FB, i've gone dune bashing with them once & enjoyed it immensely,but have to learn a lot before can start rolling with the big boys.
Also if you have free time, get in touch with Oommen Jacob and check out his car collection.

And yes...An FJ is an awesome vehicle in the desert. Personally the battle between an FJ & Wrangler offroad capabilities on UAE shore is like the battle between Gypsy & MM550/M540 so on and so forth. It's like Pandora's Box

That FJ click is awesome

Last edited by roshan_cruise : 12th April 2015 at 18:40.
roshan_cruise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 03:02   #23
BHPian

Happy New Year everyone!

When the whole of Dubai was busy celebrating fireworks, I decided to go yet again to Jebel Al Jais. This is like the 6th time I am going here and every single time I have enjoyed the roads more than I can put here in words.

There is absolutely no chance that a petrolhead who lives in UAE has not driven on this mountain roads. If they haven't, I hope they get a chance to go and visit Jais for once.

A short video of caradvice reviewing the Mclaren 650s spider on Jais.

Again let me post some of the pictures of the roads towards the summit of the mountains.

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-tn_dsc_0272.jpg

One of the cars in that is a convertible Porsche, I'm not sure which it is though

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-tn_dsc_0283.jpg

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-tn_dsc_0284.jpg

As usual, grateful to my car for a lot of wonderful memories in the past two years and some that awaits me in the future.

Voyage: Solo diaries, Jebel Al Jais (UAE) in a VW Golf-tn_dsc_0290.jpg

There is a group of bhpians in UAE who keep in touch via Whatsapp, discussing about cars, motorbikes and other stuff. If anyone is interested in being a part of it, please do inbox me your number. Rarely...very rarely we do go for a drive as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kn1ght1941 View Post
Hey,

Both of them done. Thanks for the suggestions. If there is a chance, I would like to do Mussandum/Khasab before the summers start. Don't know if it will happen, but worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshan_cruise View Post
Hey Voyageur,

There are lots of clubs which go dune bashing, every Friday. (I am more of occasional offroader).
Check out Knightriders UAE on FB, i've gone dune bashing with them once & enjoyed it immensely,but have to learn a lot before can start rolling with the big boys.
Also if you have free time, get in touch with Oommen Jacob and check out his car collection.

And yes...An FJ is an awesome vehicle in the desert. Personally the battle between an FJ & Wrangler offroad capabilities on UAE shore is like the battle between Gypsy & MM550/M540 so on and so forth. It's like Pandora's Box

That FJ click is awesome
One of our bhpian friend happens to be in the dune bashing group. I tagged along with him and experienced dune bashing first hand. I don't know what the name of the group was but there were like 32 SUV's in the group. I was amazed by the turn out for the meet. Wonderful experience.

Cheers!
voyageur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 14:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Happy New Year everyone!

One of our bhpian friend happens to be in the dune bashing group. I tagged along with him and experienced dune bashing first hand. I don't know what the name of the group was but there were like 32 SUV's in the group. I was amazed by the turn out for the meet. Wonderful experience.

Cheers!
There are lots of clubs which do Dune Bashing in UAE. Dune Bashing is a part of UAE not going for it is like coming to Mumbai and not having a WadaPav.

Me personally like to visit the wadi's in UAE in my 99 Cherokee.
roshan_cruise is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks