Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 17:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Arunachal beckons! Road-trip with a Tata Safari to North Eastern India

A journey many dream of making!

Thank you for the detailed travelogue, Jay. 5* rated. One of the best travelogues in the recent past.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...219_035613.jpg

In the photo of you using the air-jack : looks like you have placed the black sheet at the bottom of the jack? Is that what your manual says? Based on what I have used, that thick sheet is to be placed on top, to protect the jack from sharp edges of the vehicle; this is regardless of the thick layer being present on the jack itself.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 09:54   #47
BHPian

Jay where did you get the air jack from ? how much do they cost ? very useful .
Old 10th April 2015, 11:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvaisudheer View Post
Wow. Jay, thats just one superb TL. Even though the photos could not depict the actual thrill you had out there, the words summed up your journey straight from the heart. This TL is definitely going to be a bible for all those travelling to Arunachal. 5 stars

One more star to the immense trust and belief of yours on your VEERU Just awesome
Thanks. Ur right, its hard to capture Arunachal in a few pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Superbly written travelogue. I too am contemplating to visit Arunachal and other North eastern states.

Can you post a picture of the arrangement you made inside Veeru.
The tray for luggage and bed arrangement.
I too own a Safari (STORME), and would be using it for all the long distance travels.

Your thread and experience is an inspiration for people like me who wish to travel far off places in own vehicles.
I hope you use your Storme to the fullest for long journeys. Thats what it is built for. Its a very trustworthy vehicle.
No pics of the tray arrangement. Will click once i set it up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
A journey many dream of making!

Thank you for the detailed travelogue, Jay. 5* rated. One of the best travelogues in the recent past.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...219_035613.jpg

In the photo of you using the air-jack : looks like you have placed the black sheet at the bottom of the jack? Is that what your manual says? Based on what I have used, that thick sheet is to be placed on top, to protect the jack from sharp edges of the vehicle; this is regardless of the thick layer being present on the jack itself.
Thanks & glad u liked it. There are 2 black mats that came with the jack. I have placed a black sheet at the bottom and the top too, since the footboard is damaged and is uneven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Yes it is very useful. I got it 4 yrs ago from Dubai. I dont really remember how much it cost then.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 11:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks & glad u liked it. There are 2 black mats that came with the jack. I have placed a black sheet at the bottom and the top too, since the footboard is damaged and is uneven...

So, what happened to the foot board? Casualty of this trip or an earlier one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
At ACE, here in Dubai, it costs around 1,200 AED (~ 20k INR @ 16 per AED). Going to go in for my next one, after the previous one was damaged during a recovery two weeks back! A VERY useful tool.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 14:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

So, what happened to the foot board? Casualty of this trip or an earlier one?

At ACE, here in Dubai, it costs around 1,200 AED (~ 20k INR @ 16 per AED). Going to go in for my next one, after the previous one was damaged during a recovery two weeks back! A VERY useful tool.
I dont think i spent SOOO much for that. Not more than 3-4k INR i guess.

That footboard is a casualty of earlier offroading trips with the souped up Cheeps and Cheepsies!!
Old 10th April 2015, 23:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I dont think i spent SOOO much for that. Not more than 3-4k INR i guess...

You need to tell me from where!
Old 12th April 2015, 22:35   #52
BHPian

Hi Jay,

Just one word after reading your travelogue. Wow!!! I remember some discussion on the group and you sharing some pictures on the group and the entire group envying you. Now I recollect distinctly why everyone was envying you. This was one hell of a trip that you have undertaken. Kudos to you for undertaking the journey and penning it so beautifully and Veeru for ably supporting you.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 11:59   #53
BHPian

Hey JAY!

First of all thank you for making such a trip in a Safari and then posting it all here for us to have faith and live our dreams.Went through your entire TL and the way you described everything , I felt as if I am myself in Arunchal with you.

You truly inspired me and my wife who also read the entire TL and we have almost decided on getting a 4x4 Safari Storme as earlier we just thought of 4x2, to explore places like you have.

I have become your fan.Cant thank you enough in words,but thanks anyways!
rosaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 14:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Hi Jay,

Just one word after reading your travelogue. Wow!!! I remember some discussion on the group and you sharing some pictures on the group and the entire group envying you. Now I recollect distinctly why everyone was envying you. This was one hell of a trip that you have undertaken. Kudos to you for undertaking the journey and penning it so beautifully and Veeru for ably supporting you.
Heyy thanks and glad u liked the TL. Veeru rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Hey JAY!

First of all thank you for making such a trip in a Safari and then posting it all here for us to have faith and live our dreams.Went through your entire TL and the way you described everything , I felt as if I am myself in Arunchal with you.

You truly inspired me and my wife who also read the entire TL and we have almost decided on getting a 4x4 Safari Storme as earlier we just thought of 4x2, to explore places like you have.

I have become your fan.Cant thank you enough in words,but thanks anyways!
Im glad you and your wife liked the TL and felt inspired.
If you like to travel the Indian countryside in a 2 ton suv, then it better be 4x4. And the Safari/Storme can let you enjoy it in supreme comfort like no other.
Wish you many happy journeys with ur Storme and do pen down your experiences here to inspire many more.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 17th April 2015, 15:24   #55
BHPian

Amazing Jay! Both, the destination as well as your write up on it. I have been to this area in 98-99 (up to Tezu). You have really captured the details very well. It brought back some excellent memories. Also, this post has also become an excellent guide for future travelers here. Great thread!
shekatkar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 21:09   #56
BHPian

Man, this has got to be one of the best write-ups I have read in a very long time. Just the right amount of details with a crisp writing style, on a drool-worthy travel destination in the country! Hats off to you sir!

I stumbled across this thread due to my on-again-off-again crush on the Safari. I think this time round, after going through your write-up and seeing the kind of punishment this SUV can take with aplomb without complaining, I might end up getting myself at least a classic 4x2 if not a 4x4. I could have been a storm with all those recent updates, but I just can't digest its bare rear now. The lack of rear mounted spare wheel just unbalances the beauty and makes it look quite ungainly in my opinion. It's as if Tata hired some Mahindra guy to sabotage looks of the original timeless beauty. Anyway, sorry for the OT.

Thanks again for sharing all those details, and wish you a very satisfying next attempt at Arunachal!
ghatotkatch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 20:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
Man, this has got to be one of the best write-ups I have read in a very long time. Just the right amount of details with a crisp writing style, on a drool-worthy travel destination in the country! Hats off to you sir!

I stumbled across this thread due to my on-again-off-again crush on the Safari. I think this time round, after going through your write-up and seeing the kind of punishment this SUV can take with aplomb without complaining, I might end up getting myself at least a classic 4x2 if not a 4x4. I could have been a storm with all those recent updates, but I just can't digest its bare rear now. The lack of rear mounted spare wheel just unbalances the beauty and makes it look quite ungainly in my opinion. It's as if Tata hired some Mahindra guy to sabotage looks of the original timeless beauty. Anyway, sorry for the OT.

Thanks again for sharing all those details, and wish you a very satisfying next attempt at Arunachal!
Go for a Storme 4x4 if you plan on exploring countryside and offroad. Its much improved and very capable. Or get a preowned Fortuner for the price of a new Storme.

Arunachal is best enjoyed in an suv.
Old 20th July 2015, 00:12   #58

Too good jay. Kept me involved throughout the post. I guess after this post many more people would drive to Arunachal. The roads are quite narrow from the pics.
Could you please let me know if a 4 wheel drive vehicle is essential or a 2 wheel drive vehicle would do..
AjMusto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 10:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the roads in Arunachal are mostly single lane paths in the entire state. Arunachal can be done even in a sedan or a hatch. However, given the road conditions, an suv is a better choice since it will offer you more peace of mind than having to worry about crashing your cars underbelly into craters now and then. A 4wd is not necessary unless you plan to explore off the beaten path.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 19:32   #60
BHPian

Hey Jay, sorry for a late post. Your travelogue was awesome, descriptive, and exemplary. I enjoyed reading every bit of it. The pics are so good, I literally felt being there. Thank you so very much for your account of travel, I thoroughly and absolutely enjoyed it and hope I myself can experience it first hand some time. All the best and thank you!

Most Viewed