Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2015, 12:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Explorer: Dubai (UAE) to Salalah (Oman) Road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post

A collision with camel even lands you in jail right? That is, if you are not dead. I heard such rumors before.

The road from Salalah to Yemen looks narrow and I am sure it must be an amazing one, since no one actually goes to Yemen.

It was good reading through your reports and is there no speed cams after Dubai-Oman border?
If you hit a camel there are high chances of vehicle being totalled. It is an offense to hit a camel.

The Dalkuth Yemen road is a bit scary because of very few vehicles & narrow roads cutting through mountains. Military vehicles are seen patrolling every half an hour or so.

There are speed cams till Haima & when you pass small towns, but otherwise nothing between Haima & Thumrait about 70 kms before Salalah.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 13:06   #17
BHPian

Some more random images.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Explorer: Dubai (UAE) to Salalah (Oman) Road trip-imag3944.jpg  

Ford Explorer: Dubai (UAE) to Salalah (Oman) Road trip-imag4162.jpg  

Ford Explorer: Dubai (UAE) to Salalah (Oman) Road trip-p4160115.jpg  

Ford Explorer: Dubai (UAE) to Salalah (Oman) Road trip-p4170295.jpg  

Ford Explorer: Dubai (UAE) to Salalah (Oman) Road trip-p4170291.jpg  

Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 18:40   #18
BHPian

This post made me really nostalgic.

My first job abroad was at Oman and my first posting at Salalah. I was at Salalah from March 2005 till till the end of 2009. Not like any other place in the Middle East, Salalah is surrounded by mountains on three side and the sea on the other. During the rainy season June, July and August, it rains (something one cannot comprehend in Gulf). The rains are not torrential, but continuous drizzle or a bit more than drizzle. The locals call this weather - Khareef. The whole place becomes lush green. Really dense fog accumulates in the mountains. The entire place resembles Kerala.

I have driven Salalah Muscat Dubai in my Nissan Sunny, which was a solo trip.

My second trip was in my Nissan Tiida, this time, my wife and another family joined me. This trip was Salalah Ibri Al Ain Dubai.

My second posting was at Ibri. It was as if I was posted from the 'wadi' to the desert. My Ibri posting was for about 3 years wherein I was transferred to Muscat. Ibri records one of the highest temperatures in the Middle East, myself having experienced 55 degree celcius. The hair on ones' arms tend to melt, that is the extend of the heat. Two trips to Dubai were done in my Renault Safrane and Nissan Altima.

My last trip to Dubai was done in a rented Nissan Armada. My parents, my wife and another family had accompanied us. The Armada is a monster of the 4x4, having huge amount of space for all three rows and luggage. The V8, 5400 cc engine did not seem to be a guzzler as I was spot on at 120 kmph (my Dad's watchful eyes were always on the speedometer). During this trip, we went to Ferrari World at Abu Dhabi.

Most Viewed