Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2015, 15:12   #16
BHPian

Re: The Call of Lord Jagannath: Weekend Getaway to Puri from Kolkata

AJ enjoyed every bit of your travelogue. Superb pictures and description BTW, just a couple of days back I came across some interesting facts about the Jagannath Puri temple.

Here it is : http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/indi...le--35072.html

I am quite curious to witness these. Do you remember witnessing any of these phenomena?

-Bhargav
Old 29th April 2015, 15:30   #17
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic travelogue.

Lots of information in there and wonderful pictures. The Sun temple looks like it's being repaired. Any idea when the work will be completed?

The roads look inviting as ever!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 18:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
AJ enjoyed every bit of your travelogue. Superb pictures and description BTW, just a couple of days back I came across some interesting facts about the Jagannath Puri temple.

Here it is : http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/indi...le--35072.html

I am quite curious to witness these. Do you remember witnessing any of these phenomena?

-Bhargav
I really do know how many of these are supposed to be true. On my visit to the Mandir the so called Panda did not enlighten me about these interesting facts. Will have to check on it the next time around; may be with another quick weekend getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Fantastic travelogue.

Lots of information in there and wonderful pictures. The Sun temple looks like it's being repaired. Any idea when the work will be completed?

Thanks for the compliments !!

As far as my knowledge goes (as informed by the local guide there) the Sun Temple is mostly dusted now with the ruins remaining. It is no more a Temple which is alive or "Jagrut" as they call it. However, they are preserving it as much as they can and the work is ongoing for sometime now. Seeing the state of affairs there, it will take a few years I guess to finish the restoration process. One is not allowed inside the Main Temple anyways as it's barred for visitors completely since some time now. Sadly one has to just see the magnificence from the outside as an admirer and be content.
Old 29th April 2015, 19:15   #19
BHPian

Superb travelogue there Sir! Loved every word of it. Pictures are superb too. Your thread can very well act as a guide to us as we are planning to do a trip to somewhere around WB as soon as we get delivery of our Classic 1.6. Samba Da's thread would also help a lot here

After reading your posts, I can very clearly understand that you are a real foodie.

BTW, superb alloys on your Figo. Mind sharing some details? Ownership review of the same awaited.

Also, the travelogue bug has bitten you like BHPian Samba I think. For every trip you do, you will start writing a travelogue. Publishing the TL in this short period of time is a feat in itself!

Keep revvin'
Neel

Last edited by Aditya : 1st May 2015 at 12:36. Reason: Typo
Old 30th April 2015, 08:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Sun temple looks like it's being repaired. Any idea when the work will be completed?
The Sun Temple is under repair, mainly preservation since a decade now, and will never finish due to the lack lusture approach of the state govt. and the ASI. I believe it is a World Heritage site, but that also didn't create any enthusiasm to complete the preservation / repair work. You would see it covered with iron beams and ladders round the year.

The condition is very similar to Jagannath temple in Puri. However, after almost a decade of work, the Jagannath temple is better now and the iron beams and ladders are slowly going away, giving visitors a chance the appreciate the works on the temple.

Roads in Odisha are always inviting, but nothing like the ones in Southern India, mainly Karnataka.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 10:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
There is one thing for sure which comes out so true as in this instance - "last minute plans such as these are much more enjoyable and memorable"
Very nice travelogue with great pictures. You have got wonderful places there within a moderate distance to reach out, with last minute plans. You are absolutely correct, the trips that come out of quick impulses turn out to be more memorable... I myself with a few experiences. But very long drives need advance planning, of course, and they belong to a different genre too. That is another experience.

Konark and Puri are places remaining in my schemes for a long time.

Vipin.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 12:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Superb travelogue there Sir! Loved every word of it. Pictures are superb too. Your thread can very well act as a guide to us as we are planning to do a trip to somewhere around WB as soon as we get delivery of our Classic 1.6. Samba Da's thread would also help a lot here :thumbup:

After reading your posts, I can very clearly understand that you are a real foodie.

BTW, superb alloys on your Figo. Mind sharing some details? Ownership review of the same awaited.

Also, the travelogue bug has beaten you like BHPian Samba I think. For every trip you do, you will start writing a travelogue. Publishing the TL in this short period of time is a feat in itself!

Keep revvin'
Neel
Hey Neel !!

Firstly please do not call me Sir as I am as young as you are

Glad you enjoyed every bit of the travelogue to the core. Waiting to see your Classic 1.6 in the next Team-BHP Meet; another Ford into the group shall be welcomed !!

More than being a foodie, I am one of those who like to explore places like one of the locals of the place where I am travelling to. The quest in search of such eateries and food just enhances the flavour of the trip and adds that extra bit of spice to it.

The 10000 Kms Ownership Review of my Figo & my Etios shall be on air soon.

I suppose it's not the travelogue bug, it's the TEAM-BHP bug that has bitten the most of us here who are reasonably active on the Forum

The idea of posting travelogues here is, that since we get so much information and knowledge out of reading the travelogues submitted by various BHPians which indeed help us to plan a better trip; it's always good to share our (updated) experiences with everyone in order to give some value back in return to the Forum which all our fellow BHPians shall relish, cherish and be benefited with.
Old 30th April 2015, 14:52   #23
BHPian

Great travelogue Arav, lots of details which can help team BHPians who might want to do the stretch in the future.

I just cannot wait for my kids to reach your daughter's age so I can explore the beauty around Pune with them.

BTW while we are talking about kids, I hope you have a proper car seat for your daughter.

Cheers
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Great travelogue Arav, lots of details which can help team BHPians who might want to do the stretch in the future.

I just cannot wait for my kids to reach your daughter's age so I can explore the beauty around Pune with them.

BTW while we are talking about kids, I hope you have a proper car seat for your daughter.

Cheers
Good to see you going through the Travelogue in detail and finding it informative enough.

My daughter is 4 Years Old but she has grown as tall as a 7 Year Old. She has outgrown the stage where she would require a Car Seat anymore. She now uses the Rear Seat belts instead
Old 30th April 2015, 16:11   #25
BHPian

First of all, thanks AJ for the nice travelogue. My elder brother went to Puri a month back, and he said that the roads are very good in Orissa. He too enjoyed the drive to Konark, which he did at late afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Very nice travelogue with great pictures. You have got wonderful places there within a moderate distance to reach out, with last minute plans.
Vipin.
..and we say Delhi-tes are lucky to have Rajasthan, Himachal, Kashmir and Uttarakhand Himalayan belt, Corbett etc so close.
And I have heard them say that we (Kolkata or Eastern part of India) have Sea and Himalayas all within a days travel.
In fact, both are true.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 17:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
My daughter is 4 Years Old but she has grown as tall as a 7 Year Old. She has outgrown the stage where she would require a Car Seat anymore. She now uses the Rear Seat belts instead
My eldest one is 4 and a half now, and is tall for her age too. When I came back from the UK, I started using the adult seat belts for her. She would end up having a lap belt only, as the shoulder belt would be too big for her and she would normally put it behind her to be comfortable. Somehow I was never quite comfortable with that configuration, and started looking for a car seat for her. The best one I could find after loads of research on the safety reviews of various car seats in the market, was this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxi-Cosi-Ro.../dp/B0098KQ57A

I had to get it ordered from amazon.co.uk, and it cost me 30k Rs. all in all. However, now I am sure my daughter is safe when she travels in my Jetta.

Looking at the specification of this seat (suitable for children from 15 to 36 kg, approx. 3.5 to 12 years), it would seem to me that your daughter might need a car seat too.

I do not mean to preach, but since you (like most of our fellow-BHPians) seem to have a love for nature, and do the highways regularly, I would highly recommend investing in the safety of your child.
Old 30th April 2015, 18:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
..and we say Delhi-tes are lucky to have Rajasthan, Himachal, Kashmir and Uttarakhand Himalayan belt, Corbett etc so close.
And I have heard them say that we (Kolkata or Eastern part of India) have Sea and Himalayas all within a days travel.
In fact, both are true.
Yes the roads are more than brilliant indeed.

We wish we were located in North India for those wonderful drives and they feel that we are blessed to have the sea & the hills in close proximity. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
My eldest one is 4 and a half now, and is tall for her age too. When I came back from the UK, I started using the adult seat belts for her. She would end up having a lap belt only, as the shoulder belt would be too big for her and she would normally put it behind her to be comfortable. Somehow I was never quite comfortable with that configuration, and started looking for a car seat for her. The best one I could find after loads of research on the safety reviews of various car seats in the market, was this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxi-Cosi-Ro.../dp/B0098KQ57A

I had to get it ordered from amazon.co.uk, and it cost me 30k Rs. all in all. However, now I am sure my daughter is safe when she travels in my Jetta.

Looking at the specification of this seat (suitable for children from 15 to 36 kg, approx. 3.5 to 12 years), it would seem to me that your daughter might need a car seat too.

I do not mean to preach, but since you (like most of our fellow-BHPians) seem to have a love for nature, and do the highways regularly, I would highly recommend investing in the safety of your child.
What you mentioned is correct and on the Safety First Aspect !!

Thanks for sharing the link. Really helpful

I checked, there is a newer version of this product currently available on Amazon.co.uk which costs 170 UK Pounds = Approx. Rs.16,500/= (INR). How much would the shipping cost be ? Any idea ?

Anyways, my one does not have an issue with wearing the seat belt and is indeed very comfortable with it. But, yes this will be a good investment to make from the safety point of view.
Old 30th April 2015, 18:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I checked, there is a newer version of this product currently available on Amazon.co.uk which costs 170 UK Pounds = Approx. Rs.16,500/= (INR). How much would the shipping cost be ? Any idea ?
I was looking for the exact same information when I was in this process, hope this helps someone like me in the future.

From my experience you can expect the following costs:

Cost of the seat - £180 in my case
Delivery charge - £10 for normal delivery 5-10 business days, £20 for priority delivery 2-5 business days + £5 per KG of shipping weight
Import duty - in my case there was an import duty of £70

So all in all for me it came to be just above £300.

HTH
Old 30th April 2015, 20:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The Sun Temple is under repair, mainly preservation since a decade now, and will never finish due to the lack lusture approach of the state govt. and the ASI.
Well, it's been like that from 1974 or so. Prior to that, we could walk up a narrow staircase that led to an enclosure in the main structure. Not anymore since then. I guess I was lucky to see that spot.

But honestly speaking, it is one of the best temple's I've seen! Always spellbound by its size. And imagine, what we're seeing now is only a part of the original structure.

By the way, AJ-got-BHP,I enjoyed reading this TL. The pictures have refreshed my memories of the first 20 years of my life in Orissa. I have seen the Marine drive under construction, and in most of my visits to Konark and Pure, we had to retract to Pipli and then proceed to the other place. There was no marine drive then.

And I must say your Figo looks great! The alloys and the red spoiler look quite good. Were they custom jobs?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 23:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
And I must say your Figo looks great! The alloys and the red spoiler look quite good. Were they custom jobs?
The Alloys are not OEM alloys. They are of BSA, Malaysia. However, i got the stock tyres exchanged for Yokohama Earth 1's having the same specs as stock 175/65 R14.

There is No Spoiler installed

It's merely the Colorado Red Paint which i got done from Ford itself which matches well with the Tail Lights and looks as if a spoiler has been installed

Most Viewed