Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 11:30   #16
BHPian

Re: A soothing weekend getaway @ Bakkhali, south of Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
This is a wonderful narration as were the photos.

I had gone to Bokkhali as a kid with my father in 1990. We took a local EMU train from Sealdah to D. Harbour (at that time I believe rail link to Namkhana was not present), then a bus to Namkhana, crossed in a tiny boat that had just the two of us (and boatman), then another bus to Bokkhali (there was no ferry for vehicles in those days). Overall a very tiring and hot journey. As I remember the WB Tourism cottages were very new and we were the only guests (due to which we had to pre-order meals 4-6 hours in advance just so the staff could buy the vegetables, meat, etc.). The beach was totally devoid of people and it felt great to be the only ones.

Now, of course, it is possible to train it all the way to Namkhana. There are also direct buses from Kolkata but somehow I have not had the enthusiasm to visit again. After seeing your photos I just might ask my father if he will join me in a bees-saal baad trip.
I hope he agrees to the bees-saal baad trip. The popullation has definitely increased but the custom of pre-ordering food is still there (reduced to 2-3 hours though). As mentioned in my TL we were not served food in Henry Island since we did not pre-order. This stands for all resorts in Bakkhali as well. Also, since you say that the cottages were new back in 1990, I must say they have been excellently maintained if not started from scratch again. I am regretting not to have taken pictures of the cottages from inside to give all of you a better idea. I really liked it. May be cause I expected much less.
Old 9th June 2015, 10:20   #17
BHPian

Navsjab, this looks like an awesome trip and location. Is there any location where one could camp in your own tent along the waterfront with the vehicle? The concern is of safety and unwanted intrusion!!
Old 10th June 2015, 01:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
Navsjab, this looks like an awesome trip and location. Is there any location where one could camp in your own tent along the waterfront with the vehicle? The concern is of safety and unwanted intrusion!!
Hey Unavowed_X9, I am not sure if there is a provision for camping in a tent by the waterfront. Such things I know of from a Sundarban TL I read recently, but in Bakkhali there are a number of hotels you can stay in.
Old 10th June 2015, 06:13   #19
BHPian

navsjab, yes. but what fun would it be to stay in a hotel compared to camping on your own?! Considering I intend to do that solo, nothing to match the tranquility of camping in a tent with your vehicle beside you.
Old 10th June 2015, 11:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
navsjab, yes. but what fun would it be to stay in a hotel compared to camping on your own?! Considering I intend to do that solo, nothing to match the tranquility of camping in a tent with your vehicle beside you.
Have a look at this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...houseboat.html
May be a more adventurous option if you are planning to go solo. But again, you will need to park your car at a distance and stay at the boathouse without it. :(

If you want to do the Bakkhali trip it will be a great idea to go with your friends, book a cottage at the WBTC and party! Very close to the beach as well, so it iss an ideal place to stay in.
Old 10th June 2015, 11:24   #21
BHPian

navsjab, agreed! My whole point was to camp along with my Pajero! Its meant to follow everywhere I go, as far as it can!!! Would hate to compromise on it! Except for a restroom, its got it all!

Is it then possible to camp in that very beach you mentioned? Even if the tourism guys would charge a fee for the camping, and leave me alone!!! Solitude is vital!!
Old 10th June 2015, 16:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Is it then possible to camp in that very beach you mentioned? Even if the tourism guys would charge a fee for the camping, and leave me alone!!! Solitude is vital!!
I am afraid, vehicle entry is prohibited at this beach. Also, this is one of the beaches in Bengal where tourism interaction activities are a little on the lower side.

Anyway, hope you plan a good camp, may be elsewhere and let us know about it. Good luck!
navsjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 16:29   #23
BHPian

Yes. A short drive could take me right upto the Rushikulya River - Bay of Bengal confluence in Ganjam Distt. Great place!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 20:06   #24
BHPian

For the uninitiated, Can you please guide me how far is this beach from Gangasagar ? and how to reach here from Ganga sagar ?
Old 11th June 2015, 12:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
For the uninitiated, Can you please guide me how far is this beach from Gangasagar ? and how to reach here from Ganga sagar ?
I am not very sure about the road conditions from Ganga Sagar, but it seems like you will need to take two ferry rides to Bakkhali. One at Kalinagar and the other before Namkhana. Attaching a screenshot from GMaps for a summary.

Name:  GStoB.png
Views: 2183
Size:  87.4 KB
Old 8th March 2019, 12:40   #26
BHPian

No more waiting for the Barges. The bridge connecting Namkhana and Bakkhali is finally done. See TOI piece
nitishk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks