Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 09:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Chasing the rains, driving in the clouds - A dash to Cherrapunjee

Superb Thread Wanderer.

Would be really helpful if you can a route map & the distance traveled each day and time taken to travel the distance of your trip to understand the places through Google maps or other maps. I know some of the people would already be aware of the places but me I am from Mumbai and NE India is a giant black-hole for me which I wish to explore some day in my life in my own car.

The shots of the car wading through thick fog are the best of the lot. It feels amazing at the same time gives you the creeps.

Last edited by tejas08 : 26th May 2015 at 09:49.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 18:09   #17
BHPian

Lovely pics ... also the last time I was in Cherrapunji was in 1998, glad to see that the roads have vastly improved but the charm of the damp, little hamlet is just the same.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 19:20   #18
BHPian

Awesome photos and write-up Wanderer4X4! Where do you stay in Guwahati? I am planning a trip to Cherrapunjee in the first half of June. Will that be the right time to go? I hope I will get to see some rain in Cherrapunjee as well. Can't wait to be in Guwahati! Thanks for the awesome travelogue.
debmum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 22:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Superb Thread Wanderer.

Would be really helpful if you can a route map & the distance traveled each day and time taken to travel the distance of your trip to understand the places through Google maps or other maps. I know some of the people would already be aware of the places but me I am from Mumbai and NE India is a giant black-hole for me which I wish to explore some day in my life in my own car.

The shots of the car wading through thick fog are the best of the lot. It feels amazing at the same time gives you the creeps.
Thanks, tejas08. This is a very common tourist place and being a regular there, I did not maintain any time sheet. The route from Guwahati is Guwahati - Nongpoh - Umsning - Shillong - Cherrapunjee. Guwahati to Cherrapunjee is around 140 kms on very good roads. The other places that I have mentioned in the thread here are within 10 kms radius of Cherrapunjee.

And don't worry, just make a trip to this "giant black hole", we're here to ensure that you don't become lost in the "black hole"...oh well, not black, you'd find NE very green rather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Lovely pics ... also the last time I was in Cherrapunji was in 1998, glad to see that the roads have vastly improved but the charm of the damp, little hamlet is just the same.
Yes, very true. Despite the relatively high tourist volume, the place still retains its quaint, lonely feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debmum View Post
Awesome photos and write-up Wanderer4X4! Where do you stay in Guwahati? I am planning a trip to Cherrapunjee in the first half of June. Will that be the right time to go? I hope I will get to see some rain in Cherrapunjee as well. Can't wait to be in Guwahati! Thanks for the awesome travelogue.
June would be perfect for rain watching with monsoon hitting Sohra in full force. The resorts consider June to August as peak season there. Ofcourse, you'd not get much chance to hike around if it rains continuously. Just ensure that you pack some good books and have some nice company.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 26th May 2015 at 22:25.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 23:41   #20
BHPian

Thanks for showing me the place I read about in school and memorized for quizzes. Until now I had not even made an attempt to see a picture of Cherrapunjee. Thanks again.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 11:48   #21
BHPian

Awesome thread .. and some great & green pics ... wanderer4x4!!
Thanks for sharing.

I had stayed in Guwahati for 4 years, been to Shillong a few times & adjoining areas (including Cherrapunji) once.
The pics bring those memories back, looks as green as ever!!
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 14:43   #22
Team-BHP Support

Great pics and narration wanderer4x4. Meghalaya has been on my radar for a long time but need at least 10 days to visit the place from Kolkata by car. Your pictures and narration have added fuel to the fire.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 27th May 2015 at 14:50.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 18:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Great pics and narration wanderer4x4. Meghalaya has been on my radar for a long time but need at least 10 days to visit the place from Kolkata by car. Your pictures and narration have added fuel to the fire.
You can plan Shillong Cherrapunjee for a 7 days trip. Siliguri Cherrapunjee can be done in a day with an early start. So, if you budget 3 days for Meghalaya with 4 days total drive time to and fro, you can cover this circuit in 7 days. Of course, for a leisurely trip covering multiple locations with hiking, camping thrown in, you'd need 10 days.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 12:30   #24
BHPian

Wonderful narration and pictures
For someone from down south and coming from a place called Scotland of India,this is home. One for my bucket list
BopsKA12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 16:50   #25
BHPian

What a brilliant piece of T-log with beautiful pictures. The roads looks stunning in their top condition after sustaining super heavy rainfall. Looks like i need to move on from just spotting Cherrapunjee on map to actually be there and experience nature at its best. Wonder how would it be in August there! truly scotland of India
Zahoor23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 18:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
What a brilliant piece of T-log with beautiful pictures. The roads looks stunning in their top condition after sustaining super heavy rainfall. Looks like i need to move on from just spotting Cherrapunjee on map to actually be there and experience nature at its best. Wonder how would it be in August there! truly scotland of India
August is a nice time to visit this place. After the heavy rains of June and July, everything would be lush and super green. Only thing is that the weather would be a bit warm, not the regular chilly air.
Old 5th June 2015, 22:49   #27
BHPian

I went over there (dawki and sohra) for the weekend and boy, it did rain. Rained for almost 23 out of the 24 hrs I was there. With thick fog and strong winds, and the sound of raindrops on tin roof, it is just the place to enjoy the monsoons.
Shillong- guwahati is really excellent now and it took me just 1.5 hrs ( without overspeeding).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks