Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2015, 17:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Sikkim - Baptism by fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Here is a pic of the property. I don't know if it will ring a bell.
It surely does! In fact, we stopped here to ask for food. Just could not gauge that the property had lodging options as well. I thought the owners' stay upstairs. This property was just around the bend from where we stayed and I can vouch that it is still very well maintained and supremely located. There is space to comfortably park a couple of cars on the shoulder of the road in front of the property and Sikkim, being a State with a negative growth in crime rate, I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
On February 19th 2015, we were blessed with a baby girl. Now, with the missus pre-occupied, it was just the window of opportunity I was looking for to plan and realize my first substantial road trip. The farthest I've driven before had been a dash to Mukutmonipur, around 300 kilometers in my 2010 Chevrolet Beat. The last time I left Kolkata was for a day trip to Bolpur in my new Ford Figo, but that was back in April, 2014 (mundane office tours excluded). So the urge was surreal.
Excellent compilation mi2n, and thanks for the eye pleasing pictures

Can you please brief on

1. How did you prepared yourself for a tire puncture in such a long trip ?
2. What are the things do you carry with you always for such a long, rugged trips ?

So that all of us can know what to pack
Old 2nd June 2015, 22:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Excellent compilation mi2n, and thanks for the eye pleasing pictures

Can you please brief on

1. How did you prepared yourself for a tire puncture in such a long trip ?
2. What are the things do you carry with you always for such a long, rugged trips ?

So that all of us can know what to pack
Thank you!

Well I was carrying a cheap puncture repair kit and a portable inflator. Otherwise, I was rather ill equipped. I was not carrying engine oil, coolant, hydraulic jack, etc. which are rightly recommended by the experts on our forum. Apart from what is already mentioned in my opening post, I was carrying a bottle of brake fluid (DOT4) as I was apprehending that I might heat up the brakes / boil the fluid on hill descents.

I would rather suggest you browse through some other travelogues by the more seasoned members and you would be amazed at how extensive the preparations should be.

Last edited by mi2n : 2nd June 2015 at 22:13.
Old 13th July 2015, 22:15   #34
BHPian

Finally managed to upload a few videos:

1. Approaching Zoom. A dumbstruck, panicky, first timer. Priceless words of encouragement from the shotgun and tyre squeal at 02:07 :

2. Soothing drive towards Soreng :

3. Blissful drive through lush green Sikkim ( Ravangla to Damthang) Speed 2x:

4. Drive through clouds and sunshine (Namchi - Sadam - Turuk) Speed 2x :

mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 01:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post

As a curious question, would you have any idea if Lachen and Mangan have motorable roads at least now. The last time i planned to visited Mangan, I was shown dangerously scary road conditions snaps. Would love to return to this virtually unexplored terrain someday.
Well, depends on the definition of the word "motorable"
I found it motorable enough in my Scorp when I went couple of months back.
That said, road till Mangan is quite good. From Mangan, we went to a small village called Tingvong, and then later to Lachen, Gurudongmar etc. where the roads were bad, but a sedan should be able to make it with occasional underbody scrapes, and in dry weather. If its raining, it would be a different story, where large parts of these roads become slushy, and may need some expert driving in some spots. Between Lichen and Gurudongmar, about halfway is a small village called Thangu. Road from Thangu to Gurudongmar is quite good. In some places, you can speed upto 60 kmph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks