Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2015, 14:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Conquered Ladakh in a low GC Hatchback

Hello Arun,

I cannot describe how I feel after reading your travelogue. Your narration and photos give me a sense that I have actually accomplished the trip along with you.
Way to go Bro! And hats off to your courage for doing it as a solo driver and applause to the support given by your wife.

Awesome read. Thanks for posting.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 14:27   #32
BHPian

I was so eagerly waiting for your travelogue since the day the picture of your Figo at Zojila appeared on my Facebook feed. It is here now and it is fantastic! Thank you.

You have lived the dream of most petrolheads, and how! Excellent pictures and a very informative narrative and special regards to your driving skills and stamina.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 14:32   #33
BHPian

Great writeup. Enjoyed your travelogue and hope someday I do the chennai Laadakh trip
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 15:06   #34

Hello Arun,

One fantabulous travelogue it is! I can imagine the thrill and excitement experienced by you. Such vivid pictures are treat to the eyes. I too have a dream to drive all the way long to Leh & Ladakh and this piece from you has definitely infused more confidence in me. Amazing pictures, detailed description and one wanderlust BHPian, a reader couldn't have asked for more
apoorv agha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 15:12   #35
BHPian

Ultimate photos, one of the best tourist spots in India to visit, my favourite photo
would be Leh to Kargil Highway.
Details has been written neat and clear.
Can I ask who is HV Kumar Sir..
dsnaveen21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 16:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
[b][i]Trip summary:

Total Distance Travelled: 6,640kms
LoveCars21(Arun), what should I say? Actually, I am knocking my head on the table top!!! Everytime I see these photographs, I curse myself!!! Anirbanz and RedEye10, please buck up.
Jokes apart! Incredibly detailed travelogue. Minutest points covered! Awesome photographs. Beautifully written. Kudos to your courage , driving skills, grit and attitude. I am sure this travelogue will encourage many people with low GC cars. Fantabulous!

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th June 2015 at 18:10.
XetaGLGRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 16:36   #37
BHPian

Beautifully written travelogue, loved reading through this. Rated a well deserved 5 stars!

Your travelogue is a big boost to people in simliar predicaments and encourages us to take the plunge with our respective low GC hatchbacks as well (a Punto in my case). Gotta show this to the wifey to get her on board as well!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 17:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Well done. You have ensured that apart from Ladakh being high on your wishlist, the execution of that wishlist will remain etched in your memories for ever.

Only probably, one night at Pangong (Lukung or Spangmik) would have made it very very special, especially since you spent one rest day at Agra later on.

However, your trip with the Figo, a honest non pretentious hatchback, should be used as an example, especially to the plethora of pretend-SUV's on sale these days, which are actually nothing but hatchbacks (albeit Bob-ly ones)

Quote:
They were all RWDs and AWDs mine was the only FWD car.

An Army Gypsy with snowchains came to us and informed us that it would be very risky to drive ahead without snowchains. Hearing this few more RWDs returned. ]
In absence of a AWD/4WD system, FWD is an easier configuration to drive on slush/snow/ice than simple RWD's that are seen on the terrain (not considering the expensive modern/premium RWD's controlled by computer wizardy, like electronic traction control etc). I have myself seen a Xylo and an Innova struggle up a slushy incline, slipping and sliding, where a Maruti 800 took the same slope with aplomb.

But anyway, lets not take anything away from this super adventure from you. Hope to see more soon!
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 17:42   #39
BHPian

First of all I would like to thank everyone for liking my TL. One by one will try to reply to all your queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Excellent pictures and crisp narration, thoroughly enjoyed your TL.
Thank you couswheels for liking my TL. I hope my TL would help many while they plan a drive to Ladakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
And lastly hats off to you for driving your Figo with no back up driver or car and that too in one of the toughest season of Ladakh.
Samba it might have been the toughest season to drive to Ladakh but the scenic beauty of the place with ice covered mountains and snowfall was out of the world. Wish you guys had preponed your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
Hello Arun,

Trust me when I say, conquering Ladakh with a Figo, will be a huge booster for us.
Yes, I drove my Figo to break the myth. Yes, Ladakh is very much doable in a hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirbanz View Post

Keep it up dude!!
Thank you Anirban KIL. Plan one road trip to Ladakh and I would love to accompany you. Trust me the excitement and joy of conquering Ladakh in a hatchback is much more than driving a SUV or 4x4. THE GOAL EASILY ACHIEVED IS NO GOAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Wonderful travelogue. Meticulous planning and execution! Well done. Hopefully someday I can make a similar trip.
Surely Praveen Ladakh is calling. Go ahead. Its a lifetime experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
How was the response from the engine at higher altitudes?
1.4L Diesel engine never felt underpowered. Response from Figo was better than I expected. At high altitude or driving uphill I didn't have to go above 2.5k rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Did you get some help from your co-passenger?
My wife was my mental support. At some places where she was afraid and tensed I gave her that support. Finally all was done and conquered by my machine.
Its very important to have a co-passenger who is equally excited and positive about the trip else it loses its charm.
I hope many tbhp members are there who can talk to their machines! Might sound weird but yes, I talk to my machines and love them madly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Wonderful travelogue to accompany with great pictures with so much attention to detail especially underbelly hits info.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You must having some good skills coupled with patience, you need that.
Yes, patience is very important. Never should one play hard with their machines in a different terrain. Lot of Local Cab drivers are there who will keep on honking and disturbing. Its always better to keep cool and let them pass. Never indulge into any hot talk with them and never try to press hard on your throttle, it might be fatal for your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I thought you had a MM 4x4, any reasons for taking the Figo?
Thank you Samrat for liking the TL. Yes, I have a MM 550 4x4 but it doesn't have AC Driving with my wife during mid May through Bihar, UP, Delhi without AC could have been fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Excellent posts.
Does the ground clearance of the car make a lot of difference?
Just that I noticed cars like Honda City etc. in some of the pics.
You might have avoided the pictures of the real bad roads in your posts.
Can you post some of the pictures of the "craters" and the bad roads if you have?
Just to see how bad it can get.
Yes, GC does matter while driving on bad roads/no roads. Driving a 4x4 to Ladakh is like giving an exam where you knew what questions would be asked.
While driving on bad roads I did not have time to take snaps but yes I made videos of them using my phone and car dock. I will be uploading them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I am wondering how tiring was your drive on this stretch?
As I had mentioned in my last post, driving from Agra to Jharkhand-Bengal border was smooth but after that from Asansol to Kolkata took the toll on me. After driving for 14-15 hours if you get stuck in a traffic jam for 1 hour in your state how would you feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
I guess this is the first Ladakh travelogue that we got to read this season.Very precise and clinical narration.
Thank you Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyf1 View Post
All the Ladakh T-logs are just so inspiring. Hats off for driving the figo there. My aspiration just shooted more with this thread! Lovely pictures too!
Thanks mattyf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
For half an hour I lost track of the fact that I was at work on a Monday morning!

Excellent travelogue!
Did you get people on those roads questioning your choice of car? I am sure most of them would have thought you were crazy doing this run in a hatchback when some SUV's have problems going up.
Thanks veedub89. Yes, there were many incidents where people kept looking at my car and number for minutes, then came and asked whether I was sure to do this because many have failed. I said YES, I can and I will just follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
With good driving skills, a can-do attitude, a bit of patience / flexibility, and just a little daring, a lot can be accomplished.
Well, you caught me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster View Post
Super trip!
Congratulations on such a beautiful trip and for breaking your own record. As Ampere already mentioned, Every account of ladakh-Leh is a fresh account. I completely agree to that. Awesome pictures too. You made my Monday Bro!
Thanks globemaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Ive been dreaming of driving to Tabo Monestry in my Ritz, I dont think its impossible.
Go ahead. I want to see you Ritz parked near Tabo Monastery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Hello Arun,

I cannot describe how I feel after reading your travelogue. Your narration and photos give me a sense that I have actually accomplished the trip along with you.
Way to go Bro! And hats off to your courage for doing it as a solo driver and applause to the support given by your wife.

Awesome read. Thanks for posting.
Thanks drive2eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
I was so eagerly waiting for your travelogue since the day the picture of your Figo at Zojila appeared on my Facebook feed. It is here now and it is fantastic! Thank you.

You have lived the dream of most petrolheads, and how! Excellent pictures and a very informative narrative and special regards to your driving skills and stamina.
Thanks mi2n

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Great writeup. Enjoyed your travelogue and hope someday I do the chennai Laadakh trip
Thanks varunanb. Live life to the fullest. Drive on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoorv agha View Post

One fantabulous travelogue it is!
Thanks apoorv agha. I too hope my TL will help many members to drive their hatchbacks to Ladakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Can I ask who is HV Kumar Sir..
Never ask such a question in public forum!
Being a car enthusiast you have been chosen to be a member of tbhp, its expected that you should be well acquainted with the Guru.

He is the "Star of Bethlehem" for all traveller like us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XetaGLGRocks View Post
Actually, I am knocking my head on the table top!!!
Thank you Saby da for liking my TL. I hope it will help you and others to plan a road trip to Ladakh without having to wait for a SUV.
Life is short, live every moment and drive to heaven.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th June 2015 at 21:06. Reason: Smileys - 2 per post. Thanks!
lovecars21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 18:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
What a lovely travelogue this has turned out to be! While reading i was just thinking as if its a customized travelogue written only for me! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Rightly Said Samba. It is customized to give requisite information to all the people who want to travel to this region.
This will make our life more complicated when we write our travelogue in few months time.

Arunasish (lovecars21) Enjoyed reading it. can't explain in words how much I have enjoyed it. We all were waiting for this travelogue to come up.

Ladakh is a beautiful place to be photographed and your pictures are exceptional. Requesting you to make it more rich by adding the videos that you have shot during the trip.

What you have planned and achieved is exceptional but at the same time risky. Everyone has there own capabilities / limitations and should remember it while creating their plan.

In last 6 months we have received 2 great Travelogues from you and expect the sequence to continue in future.
SouraC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 18:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The restaurants are clean and the price of food is reasonable.
The south Indian dishes are very pricey there
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 19:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Trust me the excitement and joy of conquering Ladakh in a hatchback is much more than driving a SUV or 4x4. THE GOAL EASILY ACHIEVED IS NO GOAL!
An excellent travelogue, it was a fascinating read. The ladakh circuit is way more difficult with a hatchback especially in may and june. Your travelogue reminded me of my own journey to ladakh two years ago in a chevrolet beat, it was a hell of an experience.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th June 2015 at 21:07. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 20:42   #43
BHPian

Hi Arun,

Your travelogue made me feel, as I if am a co-passenger in your car, superbly written, and photographed.

One question though, how do you get that t-shirt?

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 20:48   #44
BHPian

Dear Arun,

Went through every word, picture and issues you had on your epic journey-reason will be doing the same (from Bengaluru) in Aug and Sept this year after an aborted on a few years back. Will be driving a Ritz, your Log will be my blue print. Thank you for inspiration.

Regards

Jude
Judemayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 21:00   #45
BHPian

Take a bow !!! This was epic. Read the whole travelogue at one go, it was so engaging.
Crisp writing and splendid photographs.

Thanks for keeping the hope alive in us. One day .....

Warm regards.
siddarthab is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks