Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 23:01   #16
BHPian

Re: The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Thanks Saurabh. After Reaching Mumbai, I could feel the thirst of further driving and tempted to do Delhi-Goa- Delhi-Bangalore - Delhi-Chennai, infact covering the entire golden quadrilateral one day!

All these trips I will surely do, hopefully soon in my new SUV.

Will be glad if this thread could be of any help for your and other fellow BHPians future drive on the same route.
bluevolt i can understand that. Ever since i did Delhi-Rajasthan trip of 2000 kms last november i am in love with roads on this side of the country. Roads here are yet another reason for this craving for Delhi-Goa trip.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 3rd August 2015 at 23:03.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 18:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
1500+ Kms, 4 Days, 4 States, 8 Cities, 1 Car and the Wanderer...!
Nicely written and even complemented by equally beautifully pictures. I am sure the drive must have been pure thrill. I have been considering Delhi-Pune-Delhi drive for a long time but so far its only on papers. But your experience has kicked in the enthusiasm once again to pick up the keys and grab the steering asap (Hope my manager is not reading this ).

You have captured the shots very nicely. Even the Mumbai shots looks great. The fact that you had adequate time in hand followed by rest made your drive even more pleasurable. Otherwise we tend to be in a hurry to reach the destination and forget to enjoy the journey.

Hope you have many more awesome road trips and be an inspiration for all of us here. Thanks
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 23:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
bluevolt i can understand that. Ever since i did Delhi-Rajasthan trip of 2000 kms last november i am in love with roads on this side of the country. Roads here are yet another reason for this craving for Delhi-Goa trip.
Rajasthan is a huge state which requires many days if one really wants to explore it completely. The cities like jaipur, udaipur, pushkar, ajmer requires tireless wandering to understand them well. My stay was like touch and go. Would love to explore Rajasthan in a dedicated tour sometime in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
Nicely written and even complemented by equally beautifully pictures. I am sure the drive must have been pure thrill. I have been considering Delhi-Pune-Delhi drive for a long time but so far its only on papers. But your experience has kicked in the enthusiasm once again to pick up the keys and grab the steering asap (Hope my manager is not reading this ).

You have captured the shots very nicely. Even the Mumbai shots looks great. The fact that you had adequate time in hand followed by rest made your drive even more pleasurable. Otherwise we tend to be in a hurry to reach the destination and forget to enjoy the journey.

Hope you have many more awesome road trips and be an inspiration for all of us here. Thanks
Thanks Shankar, I will be really glad if this thread could be of any help for you in preparation of your future drives similar in nature.
Old 6th August 2015, 03:42   #19

I must say you've got a good camera. And well written too. I too have a i10 but i find it unstable at high speeds. The handling isn't that great. But nevertheless congrats for your first travelogue.
rohitchandra21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 16:04   #20
BHPian

Hi BlueVolt, nice write up and great pictures. Must have been fun i'm sure making the journey in the i10, Not many would venture to do it.
For a person living in Kerala, like me, seeing pictures of the amazing highways, is always tinged with longing and envy.
I wish Kerala has such amazing highways.May be some day we will.
Cheerio.
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 14:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitchandra21 View Post
I must say you've got a good camera. And well written too. I too have a i10 but i find it unstable at high speeds. The handling isn't that great. But nevertheless congrats for your first travelogue.
Thanks Rohit.

I was pretty impressed by overall handling and ride quality of i10 throughout my journey. At the speeds of 100+ with 4 people on board, I never felt the car got unstable due to it. The only cons I would comment on is the interior space which is less for both front and rear passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Hi BlueVolt, nice write up and great pictures. Must have been fun i'm sure making the journey in the i10, Not many would venture to do it.
For a person living in Kerala, like me, seeing pictures of the amazing highways, is always tinged with longing and envy.
I wish Kerala has such amazing highways.May be some day we will.
Cheerio.
Thanks Alpha,

Roads are really nice on this route except for one or two bad patches due to highway widening and maintenance else it is a good highway.

The best part was that I never noticed a truck driver on the highway driving rashly or not following general traffic sense and rules.

Driving in i10 was fub but These types of journeys could be more or equally fun in cars like honda City or a Tata Safari!

Thanks all for liking my travelogue and pictures.
Old 8th August 2015, 08:20   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice write-up with some superb pics.And you were spot on regarding the Ahmedabad-Baroda expressway, its a superb stretch to cruise on.

And looks like you crossed the bharuch golden bridge without any issues.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 08:50   #23
BHPian

Looking at the pics, i believe you had a fantastic experience in your i10. Some of the express highways you've captured, must have been terrific to drive through . Such threads always ignites a flare in me to drive from down south to up north. Don't no when i would accomplish that
RedDevil_KP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 18:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup.

Why did you go via Ajmer ? There is a route via NH 79, you could have taken that right after Jaipur and reached Udaipur. This is a much better road with very less traffic.

I did that trip quite a few years ago. Took me 24 hrs non stop driving till Kalyan (except fuel breaks)
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 21:49   #25
BHPian

I'm absolutely in love with your composition. You've made scenes that would've passed off as normal special with your frames. Thanks a lot for sharing.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 10:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Very nice write-up with some superb pics.And you were spot on regarding the Ahmedabad-Baroda expressway, its a superb stretch to cruise on.

And looks like you crossed the bharuch golden bridge without any issues.
Thanks Arun. Ahmedabad-Baroda Expressway is really nice stretch and my brother has used this road numerous times and according to him driving here early morning is even more blissful experience.

Yes we covered that bridge. Quite old and it actually shakes up when you drive on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil_KP View Post
Looking at the pics, i believe you had a fantastic experience in your i10. Some of the express highways you've captured, must have been terrific to drive through . Such threads always ignites a flare in me to drive from down south to up north. Don't no when i would accomplish that
Thanks Red,

Some of the roads were really beautiful, the scenery around the highways, and the weather made the roads more amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Nice writeup.

Why did you go via Ajmer ? There is a route via NH 79, you could have taken that right after Jaipur and reached Udaipur. This is a much better road with very less traffic.

I did that trip quite a few years ago. Took me 24 hrs non stop driving till Kalyan (except fuel breaks)
Thanks tanwar, We had plans to visit ajmer shareef dargah and pushkar also, that's why chose that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I'm absolutely in love with your composition. You've made scenes that would've passed off as normal special with your frames. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Thanks rav,

I am really glad that you liked all the pics.
Old 22nd August 2015, 18:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics from the drive - one more final set of pics to follow soon

The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!-dsc_5427-copy.jpg

The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!-dsc_5463.jpg

The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!-dsc_5466.jpg

The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!-dsc_5471.jpg

The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!-dsc_5473.jpg

The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!-dsc_5474.jpg

The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!-dsc_5655.jpg

The Great Indian Road Trip - Delhi to Mumbai - 1500+ kms of pure bliss!-dsc_5656.jpg
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 00:10   #28
BHPian

Need help: Mumbai to Delhi in Polo GT TSI ALONE

Hey guys,

I am between jobs and have two weeks to spare. I was thinking to go back home in Delhi and come back to Mumbai just in time for my new job.

I bought my Polo GT TSI in January and has done about 8400 km on it so far.

The thing is that I am going to travel all alone in this to-and-fro 3000 km journey.

I have read a lot of travelogues on Mumbai-Delhi-Mumbai route and have clarity on what to expect.

My only concern is that since I am going to be alone I must take certain precautions or keep some things in mind.

This is where I turn to you.

If I was with a friend then we could have switched sides and drove when the other person got tired. I wont be having that luxury.

So I need your help in assessing what is the best strategy for this drive.

I did a Mumbai-Hubli drive two years ago. We left early morning and reached Hubli by 6 pm on the same day. Just had one halt for lunch.

The fact that back then I was driving Skoda Superb with superior comfort helped greatly.

That drive was even more mental on the return as we stopped only at Foodhall on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway for 20 mins.

So I know that I can drive long hours without batting an eyelid but being alone is something that is worrying me.

No one to talk to, no company, is uncharted waters.

I am planning to leave on Saturday morning so your help is muchly appreciated and please be quick!

Thanks!
Old 28th August 2015, 00:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help: Mumbai to Delhi in Polo GT TSI ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
If I was with a friend then we could have switched sides and drove when the other person got tired. I wont be having that luxury.

So I need your help in assessing what is the best strategy for this drive.
What is required is homework, my friend:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ong-drive.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ian-roads.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ays-ghats.html

Look up travelogues such as:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-2-2-vtt.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ure-bliss.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hi-mumbai.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ra-xuv5oo.html
and a few dozen more.

I've done DEL-BOM in aug 2013 and it was okay as a solo driver. Arrow straight highways for the most part. Fun to drive around Udaipur/North Gujarat with sweeping curves. Just don't overreach in the rains. Frankly not much to discuss here IMHO if you've driven long enough on highways over and above the TSI's miles.

You're more at risk from driver fatigue and boredom than anything else. I was frankly counting the km to Chennai after I crossed into Karnataka - it was so mind numbing to just drive on the clock (I had 2.25 days to reach Chennai from Jaipur) without any sightseeing. I felt like crap partially because I had more than a handful of friends enroute at many towns and I just could not meet anyone.

/check if the patel agitation has held up the highways in Guj. PM hvkumar about alternatives in that case.
//the only "research" I'd recommend is reading up threads on the standard scams / police drama (yellow sticker on headlight in gujarat) in each area. I specifically kept a yellow electrical tape with me for this very reason.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2015 at 07:58. Reason: Reduced bulk of the quoted post.
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 09:30   #30
BHPian

Re: Need help: Mumbai to Delhi in Polo GT TSI ALONE

A couple of months ago, I did a canon-ball run of Gurgaon-Vapi-Gurgaon solo on bike which involved non-stop riding throughout the night.

From that experience, I can confidently say you don't have to worry about anything as roads are safe. If you want to avoid heavy traffic, you can take Mehsana-Abu Road-Pali-Beaver-Kishangarh-Jaipur route. Roads are great despite being 4-laned.

Your biggest enemy would be a combination of boredom, fatigue and sleep. Keep them at bay and you will have a great time!

All the best, drive safe.

EDIT: With the ongoing disturbance in Gujarat, you need to be a bit careful with the route you choose. Ahmedabad is one city which you need to pass through. Since Surat is completely by-passed, you should be good there.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 28th August 2015 at 09:35.
AlokSriva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed