Old 13th August 2015, 17:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Ladakh Diaries - Unforgiving challenges lead to awe-inspiring beauty

What Next

Will the wife do it again? No

Will I do it again? A resounding "Hell Yeah"

My other tips are given here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-guide-67.html

I am by no means an expert on travelling to the region but I will try and answer queries where I can.

Credits
  • My wife and cousin who endured this torturous yet rewarding journey with me.
  • Our local guardians who took care of us all the way and literally acted as our parents
  • Tanveer (tsk1979) for his expert guidance
  • All other forum members who have provided valuable information here
  • BCMTouring guys as their highway update page helped me a lot
  • My Ecosport for a hassle-free journey I will remember for the rest of my life.

Was it worth it? Every bit of it and more!!!

Cheers,
Saurabh
TheDesertRat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 20:06   #17
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Brilliant ! Yours I think is a select set of Ecosport on the forum to travel to one of the pantheons of tourism. And fantastic photos to remember the drive.

Last edited by ampere : 13th August 2015 at 20:09.
Old 14th August 2015, 14:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

You've nicely documented your 15-day visit complimented by some super clicks

After seeing the way your first travelogue has turned out, I'm sure you have already made plans for a second one
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 14:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
You've nicely documented your 15-day visit complimented by some super clicks

After seeing the way your first travelogue has turned out, I'm sure you have already made plans for a second one
Yes S2 sir! I have some unfinished business up there and more
Old 14th August 2015, 15:14   #20
BHPian

Hats off to you and your family. The ordeal seemed to be never ending but you made it. Also, you write well in my opinion
Old 14th August 2015, 16:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post

Was it worth it? Every bit of it and more!!!

Cheers,
Saurabh
Crisp & efficient travelogue. Every bit of it - useful!. Thanks for sharing.
Old 14th August 2015, 18:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
Day 13, 14 and 15

As you can see, if you push yourself and luck is by your side, you can get to Leh in 3 days from Ghaziabad. However, if you are not destiny's favourite child, you end up getting to Leh in 9 days!!!
You summed it up very accurately.We did this trip exactly an year ago and we ended up in Leh on 8th day [started from Bangalore and visited Mumbai, Bhilwara, Amritsar, Gulmarg, Srinagar and Kargil on way]

You were extremely unlucky.
Better luck next time
Old 14th August 2015, 20:00   #23
BHPian

Admire the determination of all concerned and your combined will to reach Leh at any cost? Thank the lord you did not turn back like the Innova did-good for you. Will be doing the trip (a little round about) starting on 17 Aug and will be in Srinagar on 30th Aug after a detour through Gujarat and Rajasthan. (my 62nd Birthday present)

Hope we do not have your "Luck"!

Great piece of writing-lets have more from you.

regards

jude
Old 14th August 2015, 20:37   #24
BHPian

Brilliant review i just sealed the plan with friends next year to go Leh , driving from delhi. Hope all goes well, since the day i own Fortuner, i have this dream of driving and not flying to this majestic place.

Amen!
Old 14th August 2015, 21:54   #25
BHPian

First of all I enjoyed reading this thoroughly. Thanks for sharing. Hats off to your and your families determination. And last but not the least you have a very lucid style of writing which is is very nice. Excellent description of events and I could "almost" feel what you went through. That's the beauty of your writing.
Old 15th August 2015, 18:42   #26

One needs great courage and motivation to do something like this specially what you and your family have gone through. Hats off to you! Even I am planning a trip to Ladakh in a Swift Dzire early next month. Do you think it's possible to do such a trip in a sedan? Has the situation regarding the taxi unions and their so called demands stopped or got better? Is it safe to drive in Leh and surrounding areas?

Your way of writing is excellent and crisp. Loved reading it and the pictures are nice too.
Old 15th August 2015, 20:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitchandra21 View Post
One needs great courage and motivation to do something like this specially what you and your family have gone through. Hats off to you! Even I am planning a trip to Ladakh in a Swift Dzire early next month. Do you think it's possible to do such a trip in a sedan? Has the situation regarding the taxi unions and their so called demands stopped or got better? Is it safe to drive in Leh and surrounding areas?

Your way of writing is excellent and crisp. Loved reading it and the pictures are nice too.
Thanks for the compliments. I am not sure if anyone can be in a position to answer whether the routes for this region are suitable for a SUV, hatchback, Truck. I saw quite a few Maruti 800s being driven around by locals with ease. I also saw SUVs struggling. You have to take the call depending on the weather, road conditions and your driving skills.

As far as the situation with the taxi union is concerned, this too remains a big unknown. I saw quite a few private cars plying to all the places I visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Hats off to you and your family. The ordeal seemed to be never ending but you made it. Also, you write well in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Crisp & efficient travelogue. Every bit of it - useful!. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
You summed it up very accurately.We did this trip exactly an year ago and we ended up in Leh on 8th day [started from Bangalore and visited Mumbai, Bhilwara, Amritsar, Gulmarg, Srinagar and Kargil on way]

You were extremely unlucky.
Better luck next time
I do hope so sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Admire the determination of all concerned and your combined will to reach Leh at any cost? Thank the lord you did not turn back like the Innova did-good for you. Will be doing the trip (a little round about) starting on 17 Aug and will be in Srinagar on 30th Aug after a detour through Gujarat and Rajasthan. (my 62nd Birthday present)

Hope we do not have your "Luck"!

Great piece of writing-lets have more from you.

regards

jude
Jude, all the best for your trip and I am sure you will have an amazing 62nd!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adik1984 View Post
Brilliant review i just sealed the plan with friends next year to go Leh , driving from delhi. Hope all goes well, since the day i own Fortuner, i have this dream of driving and not flying to this majestic place.

Amen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
First of all I enjoyed reading this thoroughly. Thanks for sharing. Hats off to your and your families determination. And last but not the least you have a very lucid style of writing which is is very nice. Excellent description of events and I could "almost" feel what you went through. That's the beauty of your writing.
Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 21:42   #28
BHPian

It was a treat reading your travelogue. Well done. the photographs are also very beautiful.
The Leh road trip is definitely once in a lifetime experience.

I recently did it in my new XUV 500 and what an experience it was. the raw beauty of the landscape just leaves you speechless. will upload my travelogue as soon as possible
Attached Thumbnails
Ladakh Diaries - Unforgiving challenges lead to awe-inspiring beauty-20150711_074050_richtonehdr.jpg  

ayon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 14:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful travelogue (nice pics too). I salute you for sticking through your plans despite all the hassles faced.
I would have probably faltered at the first hurdle.
Also as an Ecosport owner it's great to know that the vehicle took the beating in its stride.
Old 18th August 2015, 17:22   #30
BHPian

Thanks @ayon and @wiflul

Ecosport did get its share of beating and this prompts me to mention a few points about the vehicle behaviour. I am not very technical when it comes to cars but others can chime in with corrections/reasons:

1. The loss of power was evident on inclines. Ecopsort did struggle in 2nd and 3rd gear on average inclines. Scoprio on the other hand gobbled every incline on 2nd and 3rd.

2. The light steering (which is a boon in city traffic) required me to be firm and cautious when the terrain was bad. No such problems with the Scoprio again.

3. Interestingly the amount of body roll and "jumps" were minimal on Ecosport whereas inside the Scoprio our stomachs were churning!

4. The "high GC" claim made by the Ford adverts seem to be limited to the city potholes. In mountains, this is not sufficient.

5. I was satisfied by the FE. The trip meter recorded an FE of around 13.5 for the entire trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks