Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 23:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Road Trip: Triumph Bonneville gets Ju-Leh'd!

Great write up & pics so far, awaiting more. I was up there with a group of friends around the same time as you, 10 of us, some on Tigers (myself included), some BMW F800GS, old KTM 640, Kawasaki W800 and a few Bullets - all from Bhutan. I remember crossing paths with a blue/white Bonneville (and atleast one more Bonnie, if not more) up there, I think somewhere in the Changthang Plateau while we were leaving Pangongtso. Also there was a Tiger 800XC with Karnataka number in Leh. We shipped our bikes to Srinagar and rode them around the same time (started 23rd Aug) and more or less the same route as you - up Zojila, Kargil, Leh, Khardungla, Nubra Valley, Pangongtso Lake, Tsomoriri Lake, Sarchu and down to Manali, Shimla and Delhi. Wanted to attempt Marsimikla but didn't get permission. The midweight ADV bikes (Tigers and BMWs) were very much at home in these mountains and broken roads, had a blast ... now to dig through photos and select a few for sharing!
grplr02 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 07:55   #32
BHPian

Sting! If the travelogue is so amazing I can only imagine the experience in real! You've written it beautifully, kudos! Shall await the next instalment ...!
pineapple_ameet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 12:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Mate, this travelogue is so perfect I think I may fall into depression when it ends; apart from the fact that I'm already bummed out about not being there myself. Always loved the Bonny and this just makes me want to get one all the more. Much respect for managing those roads on the bike. Good thing your wife had that "bag-rest" for support. I thought the stiff springs and low clearance would write the journey off.

I don't know about a profile picture, but you've got two insane cover photos ( 1 / 2 )

Last edited by Tushar : 11th September 2015 at 12:32.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 15:59   #34
BHPian

What an incredible write up? While I could see some "been there" places, but the whole journey and experience, the way you laid it out is totally overwhelming!! Thanks for sharing.
we_pull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 16:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The driver in the Mahindra seems to be telling you not to take the picture!
batterylow, I acted a little cheeky in taking that pic. Since the road was narrow I stopped my bike in the middle of it and asked my wife to patiently click the picture. In a hurry she made a video and the driver continuously waived at us not to do it. This is a snapshot from that video!
Though I secretly hoped this was an XUV automatic instead of the S101. I would have even asked for a ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jacob13128 View Post
… I felt like Moose in Archie's , when the mechanic was explaining to me the various tools for I had no clue how to use them
As a friend who is a Mech. Eng put it once to me: When your bike will break down it is a mechanic who will fix it, not an engineer! I have no clue why I carry that tool set- maybe a habit carried forward from riding those Enfields!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Awesome travelogue sting! I am still trying to figure out how you packed all those bags onto the bike! By the way, Bonnie has 120mm ground clearance and Bullet's have 140.
God bless those ROK straps! They are a life savior. I had over 40 kgs of luggage during the peak. Though once the wife flew back from Leh this was reduced to some extent- while fuel was added- again thanks to the 4 ROK straps I carried I had no issues.

I’m quite sure on the Bonnie’s GC being stated as 100mm but can’t find any source on the net that clearly states it. Maybe it’s time to measure it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_traveller View Post
Beautiful narration Sting clap
Thank you happy traveler. I can assure you were were one happy travelling couple on this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Wow!!!!You had a DREAM trip, to say the least. .
Thanks Fortified. It was a dream trip and I am just trying to make it continue as long as I can through this log..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangan View Post
Back then i had decided that i would come back with wify. Time to get her prepared and make a visit
Thanks Ranjan. I think the best way to visit this place is as a couple- not solo, not as a group- a couple’s trip is just the right number. Sounds clichéd but 2 makes company is the perfect saying for this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
While I am still waiting for you to complete your travelogue which has got me hooked, would you also update the monies involved (fuel, accommodation, food, permits etc.) for this trip. Reading this has got me seriously thinking of doing a similar trip next year at around the same time. Depending on the cost involved and the time required, I'll either do a Bangalore - Leh - Bangalore or a Delhi - Leh - Delhi on my Baron.
Sure Snehal. I’ll put up some estimates. Though I have to confess I am a very casual traveler. I rarely keep notes, track finances or kms but the wife has those details. Will summarise and share them. The cost of this trip varies. You can find rooms from Rs. 500 to Rs. 15000.

The beauty of Ladakh is one can enjoy it in Rs. 15,000 or in Rs. 50,000. The enjoyment will be equal, only the comfort will vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grplr02 View Post
. I remember crossing paths with a blue/white Bonneville (and atleast one more Bonnie, if not more) up there, I think somewhere in the Changthang Plateau while we were leaving Pangongtso.
I remember crossing you all! ..right before Pangong Tso. The Tiger seems to the best bike for this trip. Will look forward to your pictures.

The custom painted Tiger I posted earlier in the thread has a KL registration too. I was told by the owner is that the Triumphs don’t get registered in J&K yet since there is no dealership and Triumph has not taken the initiative to sort out the registration process there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
Sting! If the travelogue is so amazing I can only imagine the experience in real! You've written it beautifully, kudos! Shall await the next instalment ...!
Thank you, pineapple_ameet! Will update the final part this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Mate, this travelogue is so perfect I think I may fall into depression when it ends; apart from the fact that I'm already bummed out about not being there myself. Always loved the Bonny and this just makes me want to get one all the more. Much respect for managing those roads on the bike. Good thing your wife had that "bag-rest" for support. I thought the stiff springs and low clearance would write the journey off.
I don't know about a profile picture, but you've got two insane cover photos ..
Thank you Tushar, I am delaying my depression by writing this photolog . I already want to go back! Honestly, I had never thought I’d write a thread but only put up a few pics on the Bonneville ownership thread. One thing led to another and GTO suggested a separate travelogue be created. Once the thread got added to the home page the pressure was on!!

The stiff suspension is pain. In so many stretches the REs were comfortably crusing along while we hopped around on that stiff suspension. But then came that smooth tarmac and open roads and the Bonnie gave everyone an inferiority complex

The best cover photo is yet to come- the More plains are a legend of vastness. More on that on the weekend ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_pull View Post
What an incredible write up? While I could see some "been there" places, but the whole journey and experience, the way you laid it out is totally overwhelming!! Thanks for sharing.
Glad you enjoyed it, we_pull!

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 21:54   #36
BHPian

Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo rides home... gets Ju-Leh'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
When we test rode the Bonneville, my wife and I were on the Bonneville while the sales representative followed us on a Tiger XC. Mid way we changed the bikes and if we were finding the Bonneville comfortable the Tiger was a plush SUV!! We fell in love with it..that's when the dual sport bug bit me. However, it was way beyond our budget but I've had my eyes set on it.

The problem is I want a Tiger in addition to the Bonneville, not as a replacement, fingers crossed, fingers crossed!
On the same boat here, except in reverse! Used to own an older Bonneville when I lived in the US full-time, was all set on picking another one up here when the Triumph dealers started showing up, but with where I'm living these days (Eastern Himalayas) and the kind of riding I'm doing with the guys here (healthy dose of off-roading on practically every ride), I opted for the Tiger 800XCx to start off with. Now to move my Enfields along and get a Bonnie - was really hoping Triumph India would bring the Scrambler but they aren't doing that for 2016 so might go for a T100, let's see ...
grplr02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 02:06   #37
BHPian

That is one beautifully written travelogue Sting! And stunning pictures as well - the beautiful landscape, your "celebrity" bike - it just works man! Can't help but admire your wife for joining you on their trip - that would've been quite a bone jarring ride for both of you, especially given those bad sections of the road.

Eagerly awaiting part iv now!!!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 13:51   #38
BHPian

What an amazing adventure and a well written travelogue with more pics and less paragraphs, just the way it should be!. Thank you for sharing it with us.
What could be better than riding a Bonny surrounded by amazing vistas.

I had test ridden the Bonny a few months ago and boy, I felt at ease as soon as I parked my bum on the saddle. It was a superbly handing bike, and I was tempted to make a booking then and there but it will have to wait while I learn to ride again with a RE thunderbird. It is a superb machine.

I have always wanted to ask this to all the motorcyclists who go to far away lands with their bikes. What was your contingency plan in case of a breakdown, puncture or a medical emergency. Any tips to share?. It will certainly help novices like me before I embark on an extended tour.
Cheerio.
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 15:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

nostalgia alert. Did a Mumbai - Ladakh - Mumbai way back in 2010. And like you all - the three of us had a beautiful time.

Sweet story, beautifully written and amazingly captured.

Wishing you many more safe miles on your bonnie.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 18:55   #40
BHPian

Okay! I haven't been hooked to a travelogue before as much as I did on this one. Brilliant work Sting! What pictures, what crisp writing. Felt like I just got Leh'd! Kudos to your better half for not just letting you do this dangerous trip, but also accompany you. Awaiting desperately for the continuation.
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 07:21   #41
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue Sting and loved your narration and pics! The white color of Triumph is just too good and is a looker!! Am sure you had a tough time cleaning up after you reached home. Waiting now for the next part of the travelogue to unfold.
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Part 4, LEH>JISPA>KULLU>CHD>DELHI
Nice Pics, which brought out the beauty of the place and nice comments.

Look forward to the remaining part sooner

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grplr02 View Post
... Now to move my Enfields along and get a Bonnie - was really hoping Triumph India would bring the Scrambler but they aren't doing that for 2016 so might go for a T100, let's see ...
Might be worth waiting for the new models to launch in India, grplr02. Though the Scrambler seems to be on its way out; only an inspiration package will be available. I loved the T120 though. If they get the weight and pricing right it could well become one of the most versatile tourers in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
That is one beautifully written travelogue Sting! And stunning pictures as well - the beautiful landscape, your "celebrity" bike - it just works man! Can't help but admire your wife for joining you on their trip - that would've been quite a bone jarring ride for both of you, especially given those bad sections of the road.
Eagerly awaiting part iv now!!!
Thank you Abhi, for your kinds words! Part 4 unfortunately took a long time to come...but has come nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
What an amazing adventure and a well written travelogue with more pics and less paragraphs, just the way it should be!. Thank you for sharing it with us.
..I have always wanted to ask this to all the motorcyclists who go to far away lands with their bikes. What was your contingency plan in case of a breakdown, puncture or a medical emergency. Any tips to share?. It will certainly help novices like me before I embark on an extended tour.
Cheerio.
Thanks alphadog.
There’s a basic kit we carried to repair ourselves and the bike! Puncture repair, air pump, tool set etc were all carried throughout the trip- in part IV you’ll see that the Bullet’s tire was patched up. In case of a non repairable breakdown the best bet is to flag down the Mahindra pickups and ask them to take you to the next big town/city. On most roads you will come across trucks, TATA 407s, pickups etc. Most drivers are genuinely helpful in such areas since they themselves would have taken help at some point or the other. Needless to say, you will have to pay a fee for the transport service! For medical emergencies too, the best bet is to rely on local help.
Lastly, there will be stretches where you are the only one around for kms. In such cases it is best to start off the trip with prayers and hope God is on your side. Good karma in the days preceding the trip helps too If you ask me, it is this thrill of the unknown that makes some of these trips worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
nostalgia alert. Did a Mumbai - Ladakh - Mumbai way back in 2010. And like you all - the three of us had a beautiful time.

Sweet story, beautifully written and amazingly captured.

Wishing you many more safe miles on your bonnie.

cheers,
ac
Thanks ac.. I miss that trip, planning a short next one now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
Okay! I haven't been hooked to a travelogue before as much as I did on this one. Brilliant work Sting! What pictures, what crisp writing. Felt like I just got Leh'd! Kudos to your better half for not just letting you do this dangerous trip, but also accompany you. Awaiting desperately for the continuation.
Thanks Satrikon, glad you enjoyed it. It was a team work and wouldn’t have been half as great alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Fantastic travelogue Sting and loved your narration and pics! The white color of Triumph is just too good and is a looker!! Am sure you had a tough time cleaning up after you reached home. Waiting now for the next part of the travelogue to unfold.
Thanks Madhkris, 4 washes and lots of polishing later it was back to its pristine glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Nice Pics, which brought out the beauty of the place and nice comments.
Thank you, Ram. Hope to see some updates on your rides soon!

Cheers,
Sting.
Old 26th November 2015, 18:51   #44
BHPian

Sting, what happened to the last lot of pics & report you posted? Seems to have disappeared. Anyway, as for Bonnie, yeah, the new ones look very appealing, esp. the T120! That really nice Thruxton that everybody seems to be raving about isn't going to work too well on our mountain dirt roads unfortunately. Too bad about the lack of a proper Scrambler option - that kit on the Street Twin might be a bit neither-here-nor-there (dhobi ka ghada), let's see ... But I'm thinking perhaps I might not want too many tech gizmos for my everyday bike, have enough of those on my Tiger! So perhaps I should just pick one from the existing Bonnie range. Should've brought my older carburettor 790cc Bonneville back with me when I returned here from the US ... oh well ...
Old 6th December 2015, 23:18   #45
BHPian

Grplr02, the last part of there travelouge has been shifted to the first few posts in this thread to complete it on the first page itself.

The more i thnk about the ideal bike for me the more convinced I get that the existing T100 could be one of the most versatile bikes in India! You could get one at a fantastic deal right now before the new ones come in. In case you do decide to pick it up from Delhi, do give me a shout.

Cheers,
Sting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks