Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 00:00   #1
BHPian

Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)

If you are biker and nature lover, then you would really love this post. Kadambur, One of the village in the western ghats adjacent to Sathyamangalam Forests and has more than 100 settlements.

If you are riding (Not driving - 4 wheelers can't pass this route at few places) from Gobi to Haasanur, or even from Sathy to Haasanur, I would suggest you to try this route once if you have couple of more hours to spare for. We actually did a round trip by coming back to Sathy as shown in the map.
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-1.png
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-2.png

The village route starts just opposite to the Kodiveri Dam road which is a well known place. If you are a first timer, anyone can show you the road to Kadambur. The actual ghat road thrill starts once you cross the perumpallam dam, which is a small dam where some people do fishing.

Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-3.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-4.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-5.jpg

We started our bikes as soon as the sun has shown up and it is always good to ride at this time to enjoy the fresh air and to avoid any other local traffic interference. As you go up the hill, you get to see lot of streams flowing towards the perumpallam dam which will be a quite a view.

Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-6.jpg

Enroute Kadambur, you will enjoy the valley and additionally, mist if you are early in the morning. There are lot of chances to spot different varieties of birds and monkeys. We did say "Hi" to a troop of monkeys and drove till we reach Kadambur to have breakfast.

Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-8.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-7.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-9.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-10.jpg

After having a quick breakfast in one of the small hotel in Kadambur, We started our ride towards Haasanur through the ghats which is the most exciting part of the whole trip. Throughout the way, you get to see the valleys and small settlements which might look like out of the world for most of the Techies like me. The kind of huts you see along this path are completely different than what you generally imagined about a village.

Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-11.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-12.jpg

After spotting several species birds including Asian (Indian) Paradise Flycatcher, Orange Minivet, etc, we rode towards Haasanur. Part of this road is complete off-road and 4 wheelers cannot go here. And while going make sure to check the weather as well. If it rains, it will be too difficult to ride the bikes in mud in some places.

Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-13.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-14.jpg

Once we reached Haasanur - Sathy Highway, we wanted to come back to Sathy and that's where we spotted many of the bigger wildlife like Elephant, Gaur, Spotted Deers, Wild Boars, etc.

Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-15.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-16.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-17.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-18.jpg
Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)-19.jpg

We did spot Langurs and Spotted deers enroute from Dhimbam to Bannari highway which is always a hot spot for wildlife. Its always good to go to this place as a minimum group of 2 or 3 bikes to prevent attraction and disturbance. Try this place once and you will feel worth the ride.
sriramaero is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enchanting Ride to Hasanur via Kadambur (Tamil Nadu)

Part travelogue, part wildlife safari! Thanks a ton for the share. Made for a really nice relaxed read. Looks like a great trip to take on two wheels during the retreating monsoons.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 15:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

The route looks very inviting. Any snaps of the villages you talked about? And the huts?
Only bikes - is it because of the condition of the road or the narrow trails?
Thanks for bringing out such a locale. This is the second travelogue from around the same place in the last one or two months
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 20:42   #4
BHPian

Hi Mallumowgli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The route looks very inviting. Any snaps of the villages you talked about? And the huts?
Only bikes - is it because of the condition of the road or the narrow trails?
I don't have many photos of those huts as we were just riding past them. But they are really good. Some were on the tree tops just to prevent the intrusion of wild boars, other animals.

Only bikes - It is because of the narrow trails at many places
Old 10th September 2015, 11:12   #5
BHPian

How long will it take to cover the Kodiveri to Kadambur section and Kadambur to Hasanur section?

Will it be possible for a 4wd jeep to cover the Kadambur to Hasanur section?
dsr_rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 12:09   #6
BHPian

I travel regularly from Tirupur(my hometown) to Gobichettipalayam where my wife's sister's resides. From Gobi, I have taken numerous solo bike trips to nearby spots like Kodiveri falls(usally a family picnic), Gunderipallam Dam(a nice place for spotting elephant groups esp. in the evenings), Varatupallam Dam(near Anthiyur), Bannari temple and Dhimbham ghats. But till now, I had no idea of this Kodiveri-Kadambur-Hasanur route.

Thanks to your travelogue, Sriramaero next time I will try it out.
Please post more snaps of the Kadambur-Hasanur drive if possible. Can this route be done on a MUV like Xylo, Tavera etc?
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 21:53   #7
BHPian

Hi dsr_rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
How long will it take to cover the Kodiveri to Kadambur section and Kadambur to Hasanur section?

Will it be possible for a 4wd jeep to cover the Kadambur to Hasanur section?
It would approximately take 1 hour to reach Kadambur from Kodiveri. Kadambur to Haasanur will definitely take more than 2.5 hours as there are no roads at certain places. In some places you will have to drive your bike along a narrow path, which is definitely not possible in a 4 wheeler even if it is a 4wd.
Old 10th September 2015, 22:02   #8
BHPian

Hi Venkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Please post more snaps of the Kadambur-Hasanur drive if possible. Can this route be done on a MUV like Xylo, Tavera etc?
I didn't take many photos in the Kadambur-Haasanur route because I was more worried about finding a way out than taking pics. It was my first time in this route as a regular part of my exploration. 50% of the route you wont find any human interference and it is possible to get lost unless you have a map/mobile along with GPS. It is impossible to cover the exact route that I followed in any 4 wheelers. The road that I chose, is only for 2 wheelers. However, 4 wheel enthusiasts may end up with a different route with slight detour. And, if you find such routes, please let me know as well.

Most Viewed