Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 12:50   #16
BHPian

DRC,
off topic
Do you feel any difference in visibility at night after changing your stock headlamps, does it help on highways? with new bulb, do you feel the need of Fog lamps?

Cheers.
Old 13th September 2006, 14:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Report & Pics DRC!
It reminds me of the Goa trip we did in Feb'06 to participate in the PUG Annual Meet @ Goa.
It was one of the best drive I had so far, in fact I wish to drive to Goa via Jog falls atleast once a year! Cheers!
Old 13th September 2006, 15:08   #18
BHPian

Nice write up DRC. Will you please mention the total KM you have travelled and the fuel consumption for whole trip.
Old 13th September 2006, 15:58   #19
ECM
BHPian

Excellent write up DRC and I liked your sence of humour in between your paragraphs..just too good.
Old 13th September 2006, 16:48   #20
BHPian

DRC,

Wonderful write up and motivates me to visit Jog.
It reminds me of visiting JOG 2 yrs back in my 800, though I did not touch Goa, instead I visited Horanadu, Sringeri and back.

As I was planning to visit Jog in the month of AUG, after the pics and your write up, Its driving me crazy to visit Jog asap. But I doubt will I be lucky enough as you are to see Jog at its full glory.
Old 13th September 2006, 16:56   #21
DRC
BHPian

@pawan, We travelled about 1600 kms in total.. consumed about 114 liters of fuel, and still half a tank fuel left in the tank. Certainly about 14+ kmpl FE

@ great drive, Yes, The higher wattage head lamps make a considerable difference. They are very helpful at night for visibility. Might have also caused discomfort for the drivers on coming.
However, they are not so much helpful in fog though. I do not have fog lamps. I felt the need when I went to Ooty. But then I did not have the high watt lamps.
Old 14th September 2006, 09:58   #22
BANNED

great report NRC, great pictures too. & btw the ferry is subsidized by the government.
Old 18th September 2006, 00:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

kudos DRC superb writeup. I did the same trip last year Sept 21st but deviated to Murudeshwar. (Bangalore-Shimoga(Jog) - Honnavar -Murudeshwar- Kundapur(Trasi) - Mangalore-Bangalore) was a 4 day trip. I am doing the same drive once again on the 22nd of this month..
Old 18th September 2006, 10:21   #24
DRC
BHPian

Enjoy your drive rjstyles69! .

I too am preparing again for the trip this dasara holidays.
Old 21st September 2006, 13:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DRC. Have bad news, heard that the Mangalore - Udupi stretch is un-motorable and there are no buses also plying in this route. Well yesterday there was a road block regarding this in Mangalore. Got this update from a friend who is a local there. Need 2 find an alternative route from Dharmastala..
Old 21st September 2006, 13:58   #26
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
Thanks DRC. Have bad news, heard that the Mangalore - Udupi stretch is un-motorable and there are no buses also plying in this route. Well yesterday there was a road block regarding this in Mangalore. Got this update from a friend who is a local there. Need 2 find an alternative route from Dharmastala..
From Dharmastala, there is a very good road stright into Mangalore.
Take Ujire > Belthangadi > BC road into Mangalore. This was a good road in January. A little narrow road but very little traffic. Nearest route too.
Old 21st September 2006, 22:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

thanks DRC, my friend also gave me the same route.Will come back and let know of the drive.
Old 22nd September 2006, 11:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Couple of days back I travelled from Blre -> Shimoga -> Jog Falls -> Honnavar -> Ankola, visited Jog again, its beautifull again since water is released because of recent rains. Roads have worsen still this month compared to the condition of road last month, but still Blre to honnavar its good road if someone travel these areas. Road between Udupi and Mangalore Terrible since road work going on and also heavy trucks made NH 17 too bad. In 20 years this is first time I see worst road condition of NH 17. also road between Hubli and Ankola (NH63) is also bad. I feel Mines/heavy trucks made these highways bad.

Ravi.
Old 22nd September 2006, 15:32   #29

DRC, that was a full blown write up and has now motivated me to visit Jog on the way to/from Goa. Am driving to Goa on 7th Oct & returning on 13th...with family and am sure your travelogue is gonna be helpful along with ravibhat's latest experiences on the roads. Let me know if these dates match with your next drive to Goa....
Cheers!
Old 25th September 2006, 18:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

hey DRC had a terrible trip. Guys a word of advice for everyone who wishes to travel to Dharmastala and beyond.Dont ever do it, the ghat section roads is pathetic and trust me the road is not at all navigable. Also there is virtually no road from Mangalore to Udupi, Udupi to Kundapur even worse.

Thanks to you DRC, I took the route mentioned and no luck :-( , Manipal to Kundapur(via Udupi) the roads are really bad. Should say i enjoyed the interior route via Ujire since the roads are pretty good.

Ultimately dont ever do a drive to Mangalore or even beyond that till Bhatkal anytime soon.Am sure the roads wont be laid atleast for a month or so.

Most Viewed