Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 08:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: When brown turns green – Ride to Chikmagalur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
What is the BEST route from Bangalore to Chikmagalur..?
As per google this looks to be the best bet:
Bangalore->Kunigal->Yadiyur->Channarayapattana->Hassan->Belur->Chikmagalur
It is indeed one beautiful route. Till hassan its a multi lane and split highway and once you turn off towards belur the road is not split but driving wouldnt be a problem since traffic is not that heavy and can be managed. There is another route via tumkur, tiptur, arsikere, Banavara and chikmagalur but that is narrow and traffic is annoying since we cant maintain a steady pace in this road and need frequent acceleration and braking. OTOH I was able to maintain a steady 90-100kmph all the way from hassan till nelamangla except while passing towns. This will be stress free and we can cover the distance in no time.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:37   #17
BHPian

We went to Chikmagalur this weekend and had an awesome time. We actually stayed in Hassan, so we could cover Shakleshpur and Chikmagalur. Though the overall distance covered was more, it was worth it.
The roads were superb to say the least. Truly beautiful from Hassan towards Belur and Chikmagalur. Traffic was sparse, so we loved the ride even more.

Somewhere along the way, we met a traveler who asked about our route from Bangalore. He said he followed his GPS and regretted his decision, mentioning that the roads were terrible and full of pot-holes. I wonder which route he took.
Old 8th October 2015, 18:46   #18
BHPian

5 stars Nandita. This travelogue deserves nothing less. Your superb pictures would have initiated many to plan a trip to Malanad before the "greens" run out. I have been once to Chikmagalur & Mullayanagiri in January 2012 and felt the same way as you did. There wasn't enough greenery to my liking although the weather was wonderfully chilly. Once again, thanks for your terrific snaps !
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 11:44   #19
BHPian

@Petrolhead007 looks like you guys had an awesome trip back then.

@foxtrot the one you mentioned is an amazing route, no second thought about it. We just wanted to try out a different route this time so took Mudigere one.

Venkat - thanks for liking the t-log and snaps
Old 19th October 2015, 21:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
@Petrolhead007 looks like you guys had an awesome trip back then.

@foxtrot the one you mentioned is an amazing route, no second thought about it. We just wanted to try out a different route this time so took Mudigere one.

Venkat - thanks for liking the t-log and snaps
Thanks Nandita, your travelogue has inspired me for a weekend trip to Chikmagalur
And that weekend is the coming weekend :-)

One more question...I know am being a bit too inquisitive, but just in case you can suggest. I got to know there are two options for the last lap(for 30-40 kms):
1) Belur - Chikmagalur - Handi - Mudigere.
2) Belur - Cheekanahally - Gonibeedu - Mudigere - Handi

Any suggestions?
Old 26th October 2015, 18:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
Thanks Nandita, your travelogue has inspired me for a weekend trip to Chikmagalur
And that weekend is the coming weekend :-)

One more question...I know am being a bit too inquisitive, but just in case you can suggest. I got to know there are two options for the last lap(for 30-40 kms):
1) Belur - Chikmagalur - Handi - Mudigere.
2) Belur - Cheekanahally - Gonibeedu - Mudigere - Handi

Any suggestions?
I think by now you are already done with your trip. Nonetheless, the Mudigere was a horrible one - scenic but very patchy. Will give you good body pain after the ride. In case of cars, it might be a different story altogether.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks