Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 23:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Where no Elantra has gone before - 5500 kms, 6 States & Bhutan!

AWESOMEEEEEEEEE....!!!
The pics were amazing...the views were breath taking and equally well narrated travelogue.

Kudos to you and your stead for taking such a brave and long ride. across and beyond the country. Congratulations on completing a happy and safe trip.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 23:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Fantastic travelogue. 'Satna", well I only know one Satna, my father was working there from 1982 till 2000. My last visit to Satna was in 1998. I really wonder where did you stay for the night, as during my days, there was not a single hotel that one could call a 'hotel'.
Hotel Uma Residency (http://www.hotelumaresidency.in/) is where we stayed. Decent place but overpriced for a town like Satna. I suppose being the only decent hotel, they can charge what they want.

The road to Satna is now good. Via Maihar bypass, it is fabulous. Via Bela More, dualization work is on. Once completed, it should take 30min to to reach Satna from Bela More.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Did you have any OMG moments with respect to the drive ?
Good question. There was this one moment on that mud road where the Omni is stuck. While coming back from Bumthang, there was a big stone on the way. I had to stop the car on an incline as Lekhden got out and moved the stone to the side. That meant I had to get the momentum going from zero. This was a truly "Jai Mata Di" moment. But kudos to the Traction Control here. I don't know if it was the TC or my keeping a very light foot, but I saw the RPM drop to 500. That provided some grip while there was a bit of wheelspin too. And she climbed! Small stones hit all over the undercarriage but she carried on.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 10:00   #33
BHPian

Mindboggling stuff Lucifer1881!!!! Had only glanced through your narration so far & need to probably read it in leisure again. Just can't stop appreciating your guts to do such a trip in an unknown territory and to drive 5500 kms in about 2 weeks. You are seriously living your life the way you want it!! Hats off to you man. Keep going
vw19d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 10:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Hotel Uma Residency (http://www.hotelumaresidency.in/) is where we stayed. Decent place but overpriced for a town like Satna. I suppose being the only decent hotel, they can charge what they want.

The road to Satna is now good. Via Maihar bypass, it is fabulous. Via Bela More, dualization work is on. Once completed, it should take 30min to to reach Satna from Bela More.

Good question. There was this one moment on that mud road where the Omni is stuck. While coming back from Bumthang, there was a big stone on the way. I had to stop the car on an incline as Lekhden got out and moved the stone to the side. That meant I had to get the momentum going from zero. This was a truly "Jai Mata Di" moment. But kudos to the Traction Control here. I don't know if it was the TC or my keeping a very light foot, but I saw the RPM drop to 500. That provided some grip while there was a bit of wheelspin too. And she climbed! Small stones hit all over the undercarriage but she carried on.
Great blog @lucifer1881! Sounds like it was a fantastic experience and looking at the pictures, it does seem so! I'm so stoked to do a trip like that.

Just fyi, with regards to that gnarly inclined mud road, the car came out of it as a result of your light footed tactful driving but not the ABS.

ABS is actually detrimental to stopping in mud/gravel/sand considering it doesn't allow the wheel to lock up and just keeps the car going! The car won't dig into the mud/gravel/sand and come to a halt.

Just curious, does the Elantra have TC or ESC?
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 10:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
...Just fyi, with regards to that gnarly inclined mud road, the car came out of it as a result of your light footed tactful driving but not the ABS...
Just curious, does the Elantra have TC or ESC?
I was talking about Traction Control here. ABS kept me in line when I had to brake.

And no, ABS is not detrimental in slippery conditions. It makes pressing the pedal hard since there is continuous back push but it gives you control.
Old 14th October 2015, 10:26   #36
BHPian

Thanks lucifer1881 for this very inspiring, refreshing thread. Hooked to it. Wish you conquer many more miles with your Elantra. Awesome photographs!
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 10:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I was talking about Traction Control here. ABS kept me in line when I had to brake.

And no, ABS is not detrimental in slippery conditions. It makes pressing the pedal hard since there is continuous back push but it gives you control.
ABS control will definitely work on slippery surfaces, but I was talking about mud/gravel/sand.

Here is a small article for reference: http://4x4abc.com/4WD101/ABS_offroad.html
Old 14th October 2015, 11:09   #38
BHPian

Awesome travelogue. I always wanted to drive around in my car. We have a toddler and the plan was to start the drives in the South of India first and then head-up North. Bhutan or further, would be an awesome road trip.

It would be great to hear from you on the preparedness for the trip both mentally, physically and equipment-wise. Were you the only driver? Did you take an additional spare wheel/ tool-kit? Were there any minor/ major breakdown(s) on the way, etc.

And one clarification would be, as far as I remember, the vehicle insurance purchased in India is valid only within the country. So, did you opt for an addendum for coverage in Bhutan. Please take your own time to reply.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 12:20   #39
BHPian

Great triplog there Lucifer and came at a great time for me, we had just zeroed in on Bhutan for our next trip, this will surely act as a reference point.

That apart I loved the crisp narration and nice pictures. The pictures of your journey to Bumthang were scary to look at, I can only imagine how it must have been to drive on.

Quote:
This was a journey undertaken by a man, his wife and his car. Some may argue that the car comes before the wife, but then their wives probably don’t read their travelogues.
noo.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 12:25   #40
BHPian

Lots of questions . Here go the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
It would be great to hear from you on the preparedness for the trip both mentally, physically and equipment-wise.
Mental preparedness? Don't think this took any mental preparedness. What was the alternative? Not take a holiday and come into work? Choice is clear, isn't it?

Quote:
Were you the only driver?
Yes, I was the only driver.

Quote:
Did you take an additional spare wheel/ tool-kit?
This was a 17-day trip. All boot space was used to fit the luggage in. There was no space for anything else.

Quote:
Were there any minor/ major breakdown(s) on the way, etc
No breakdowns on the way. Someone up there is my guardian angel, surely.

Quote:
And one clarification would be, as far as I remember, the vehicle insurance purchased in India is valid only within the country. So, did you opt for an addendum for coverage in Bhutan. Please take your own time to reply.
Yes, took an add-on cover for Bhutan. Cost approximately INR 350. Is valid till the insurance is up for renewal in May. So I can go to Bhutan again, if I want to before that .
lucifer1881 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 10:08   #41
BHPian

[quote=lucifer1881;3817413]

Great and awesome travelogue I have ever read Thanks LUCIFER for sharing so many beautiful photos and first hand information about every place you visited including Bhutan. This is the one place which I wanted to visit at the earliest because it is in my wish list for a long time.
KALSANKRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 17:26   #42
BHPian

I am totally wonder-struck. Totally. I lived the drive through your drive and the pictures were the icing on the cake. Amazing your spouse joined you on this mad trip and am happy you could do it together. Have been pushing my wifey to come on a Western India Sojourn, have had no luck yet. The car is definitely a statement. I had no qualms picking up a Santro when I had to buy my first car. I have grown with a Hyundai dealership since 1999, mom used to work there and I still preserve the Santro (Atoz) Model I got during dealership inauguration. Sorry, I went off topic a bit. Am still recovering from the effect of your blogpost. On a separate note, would it be possible to share the details of the hotel stays, costs, Fuel expenses et al? I am sure gonna make my wifey read this and pray harder she is convinced to a trip, albeit in a Santro! Three Cheers! And wishing you many more beautiful drives!
theroadrunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 10:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

What an awesome travelogue. Made me remember my trip last year, but I stayed just at Paro for 3 nights and as a coincidence we too stayed at Kichu Resorts. Its truly a wonderful property and isn't Paro town simply lovely? Wanted to spend a couple of days more but couldn't as we were in a large group.
Planning to do this trip again with family sometime next year. Fingers crossed.

Your thread truly deserves 5 stars. Just rated it.
harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 15:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Awesome travelogue Lucifer. After my sojourn with the Manza in Ladakh I am convinced that careful driving and planning any car can take us to these mountain places, to a certain extent of course.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 18:30   #45
BHPian

Hats off to you and 9027! May this travelogue be named road cyclopedia from Hyderabad to Bhutan. Informative, Crisp, Visual treat and of course automobilistic.

Rated 5 star since that was the maximum.
neelemail is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks